Starting Goalie

jkgrossman

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good question.  It kind of is the annual question in Flyerland...

A week or so ago I thought Mason could be going to Vegas.  The two other greatest options for him - Calgary and Dallas addressed their goaltending needs.  Philly seems a likely destination again imo.   

btw,

:welcome:

Was talking to lots of Jets fans on the weekend who seem to want Mason. But then there were rumours on  local sports radio that Brian Elliott was looking for housing in the Wpg area. Yikes.

@jkgrossman-Welcome aboard!

I think Mason burned his bridge in his exit meeting when he told Hextall he didn't want to be part of a 1A/1B situation. I think Mason may be bitter because the Flyers signed Neuvirth before him. I also think he is going to want more money and term than his last contract but now that the market has basically dried up he is going to have to settle for less. 

Now that Darling is in Carolina, what about Cam Ward? I believe he only has one year left on his contact, not too expensive, cup winner, possible veteran mentor to Stolarz. Hextall could probably get him for a couple of picks/prospects 

1 minute ago, Samifan said:

I think Mason burned his bridge in his exit meeting when he told Hextall he didn't want to be part of a 1A/1B situation. I think Mason may be bitter because the Flyers signed Neuvirth before him. I also think he is going to want more money and term than his last contract but now that the market has basically dried up he is going to have to settle for less. 

Now that Darling is in Carolina, what about Cam Ward? I believe he only has one year left on his contact, not too expensive, cup winner, possible veteran mentor to Stolarz. Hextall could probably get him for a couple of picks/prospects 

The Flyers might have missed their opportunity on this one, by even toying with the notion of bringing Mason back. I think Darling just needed a chance to prove himself after playing behind Crawford for so long, and would have been a solid #1 capable of starting 50-55 games for us if need be. That being said, I see Ward being a decent "bridge" goalie for a year or so until Stolarz, Hart or someone else unforeseen wins the job in a year or maybe less. Who knows? It would also allow them to add veteran scoring depth that the team desperately needs.

I think Mason comes back. He's going to realize that we are the only team that has a #1 spot for him available. Especially if the rumours of Elliot signing with Winnipeg are true.

This kind of reminds me of what Biron did when he left us. Thought he would get a bigger and better contract but in the end, priced himself out and had to settle for something much less. 

Mason probably gets a 2 year deal to come back to Philly and then hopefully Hextall finds a new home for Neuvirth.

What about Kincaid....i would kick the tires....

...there will be options it seems there should be someone out there brave enough to sign a short prove it kind of deal...Bueller?

Bueller?

40 minutes ago, jkgrossman said:

No offense to Cam Ward, but he hasn't done much since winning the Cup in 2006.  Carey Price's contract will be up next year though. 

I think some of that had a lot to do with the team playing in front of him. Canes were pretty tough to play against last season. Flyers just need a goalie to hold us until our top prospect kids are ready in a year or two.

For me, the only other viable option out there is Bernier. Mason still might be the best option, but if he wants too much, and Bernie less, than I'd be fine with Bernier.

1 minute ago, jkgrossman said:

Like whom? I don't want the Flyers to trade away prospects, picks, and young guys to get a goalie. 

Kincaid is 4 years younger wih a career save percentage of 912% on some bad Devils teams...

...Elliot's career save percentage is only 913%...

....just throwing it out there....

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

For me, the only other viable option out there is Bernier. Mason still might be the best option, but if he wants too much, and Bernie less, than I'd be fine with Bernier.

Got to say pass on Bernier after watching him play so small for the Ducks this past playoffs...he comes to Philly while they are still in the learning process he will get lit tha f**k up!!!

Pass!

Now if Nelson Mandela was willing to come out of retirement to take the crease i would pursue that!!!

#winning

If a contract for Jonathan Bernier isn't too expensive and the term not ridiculous (thinking maybe a three year deal), then I agree, he would make a fantastic option for Philadelphia at this point in time.

He had a cap hit of about 4.1M last season though and his numbers really weren't too bad, so convincing him to play for LESS than that (especially if he is taking on the workload of a starter), might be difficult.

2.50 GAA and a .915 sv% over 39 games played.

Keith Kincaid may be an alternative as well, but if you are looking to make him a starter, even if a stop-gap one, you'd have to worry about him being able to handle the workload of a number one (I would assume he'd be placed ahead of Neuvirth).

Unless Kincaid is signed with the understanding of doing a straight up platoon situation with Neuvirth.

13 minutes ago, jkgrossman said:

If only Carey Price were a free agent this July......

Better yet, Giroux seems to like the lifestyle up there, so let's play "Let's Make A Deal" - the Quebec version.:thumbsu:

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Got to say pass on Bernier after watching him play so small for the Ducks this past playoffs...he comes to Philly while they are still in the learning process he will get lit tha f**k up!!!

Pass!

Now if Nelson Mandela was willing to come out of retirement to take the crease i would pursue that!!!

#winning

Fair enough. I know I've been banging the Bernier drum and that he's not everyone's cup of tea. His overall body of work is still strong IMHO. And I think he's a bona fide starter. Not sure I can say the same about a guy like Kincaid

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

I highly doubt that.  I think Mason's punishment for that is not getting an offer from Hextall yet while he watches every other needy team around the league sign a goalie who isn't him.

Hextall was a goalie.  He knows what's what.  He's not as thin skinned as Homer or Clarke.  

I really think it's as simple as Mason wants more years than Hextall wants to give him and both sides know it and both sides are kinda hoping someone else comes along, but if it doesn't they know they'll just go back to the table with each other and sort it out.

I don't think there's animosity or control issues or anything.  I think it's just a matter of both sides knowing neither one wants exactly the same thing as the other and both hoping  they can get what they want from someone else so they don't have to give up ground in the negotiation.

It's like being at the same party or a bar your ex is at and realizing everyone else you'd rather hook up with is leaving with other people and really hoping you don't have to go home together, because you've been there, you know what they want and it's not really what you want.  You're not angry.  You're not bitter.  You both know you'd rather just be with someone else, but going home alone will probably suck more.

If Mason won't re-up with the Flyers, the Flyers will still need someone who is at least decent to replace him.  The goalie prospects need another 2-3 years before they become NHL ready.

5 minutes ago, jkgrossman said:

If Mason won't re-up with the Flyers, the Flyers will still need someone who is at least decent to replace him.  The goalie prospects need another 2-3 years before they become NHL ready.

There are options.  I'm a little ticked at Peter Budaj for signing an DNR deal with Tampa, but whatever.  It's his career.

I'm very low on Bernier.  To be honest, a tandem of Nilsson and Neuvirth is appealing to me.  Nilsson was on a god awful team but put up great numbers in limited exposure.  

There's no real use in signing someone who wants to be a #1 unless Hextall manages to somehow unload Neuvirth.

What I desperately wanted was for Vegas to take Neuvirth (not an impossibility I guess, but a bit of wishful thinking at this point) and have Hextall sign a bit more of a work horse to get Stolarz real live backup minutes to make him a viable commodity going forward (either to shepherd and then back up whichever of Hart or Sandstrom makes the jump first or get traded at some point).  

Here's who's left.  There are still more decent (though clearly none are great) FA's then there are open #1 spots. 

Ryan Miller                                        
Jonathan Bernier                                        
Steve Mason                                        
Ondrej Pavelec                                        
Brian Elliott                                        
Robin Lehner                                        
Chad Johnson                                        
Darcy Kuemper                                        
Anders Nilsson

Archived