Game 11: Flyers @ Leafs, 10/28/17

Howie58

The O and B are installed as fairly significant underdogs:

http://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-toronto-odds-october-28-2017-865544

Interestingly, the Leafs perform better when they are underdogs. You might say a Toronto-Flyers match-up is beyond odds, like Flyers vs. Pens.  No matter, this is an important game.  Can the O and B shake off the Ottawa gig?  Will one of goalie duo perform like he belongs in the NHL?  Will our AMac-Less D gel?  Will the second and third lines show some offensive life (so far, it looks like our mojo is the first and fourth)?   This may be as critical a game as we've had to date, against a team that will be challenging for elite status in the near term.  

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The O and B are installed as fairly significant underdogs:

http://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-toronto-odds-october-28-2017-865544

Interestingly, the Leafs perform better when they are underdogs. You might say a Toronto-Flyers match-up is beyond odds, like Flyers vs. Pens.  No matter, this is an important game.  Can the O and B shake off the Ottawa gig?  Will one of goalie duo perform like he belongs in the NHL?  Will our AMac-Less D gel?  Will the second and third lines show some offensive life (so far, it looks like our mojo is the first and fourth)?   This may be as critical a game as we've had to date, against a team that will be challenging for elite status in the near term.  

Well i hope they don't have to play the Leafs AND refs.

Refs did a fine job picking up two points in the standings....

I love watching the Flyers sucker the Leafs every time they play them. The Flyers will throw a body checks early, get the Leafs all ticked off and they will retaliate, poorly because that's not their game. So it's likely we will get the penalties. Go Matthews!! :cheers:

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

Will probably end up a 7-6 game after we go down 3-0 in the first again

And Elliot's playing so he will shut them out in the 1st period and then continue to give 6 goals the rest of the game. Seen this before!

ROJECTED LINEUPS (Note: will be updated)

Flyers

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
40 Jordan Weal - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 17 Wayne Simmonds
24 Matt Read - 15 Jori Lehterä - 11 Travis Konecny
20 Taylor Leier - 21 Scott Laughton - 12 Michael Raffl

53 Shayne Gostisbehere -9 Ivan Provorov 
23 Brandon Manning - 8 Robert Hägg
6 Travis Sanheim - 3 Radko Gudas

37 Brian Elliott
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: Nolan Patrick (upper body), one healthy scratch among Matt Read, Dale Weise or Taylor Leier, Andrew MacDonald (IR, lower body).

Maple Leafs

11 Zach Hyman - 34 Auston Matthews - 29 William Nylander
12 Patrick Marleau - 43 Nazem Kadri - 47 Leo Komarov
25 James Van Riemsdyk - 42 Tyler Bozak - 28 Connor Brown
15 Matt Martin - 20 Dominic Moore - 16 Mitch Marner

44 Morgan Rielly - 2 Ron Hainsey
51 Jake Gardiner - 22 Nikita Zaitsev
55 Andreas Borgman - 46 Roman Polak

31 Frederik Andersen
[35 Curtis McElhinney]

Scratches: Connor Carrick (healthy), Josh Leivo (healthy), Eric Fehr (healthy).

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Good to see the Leafs recall Kapanen so he can score against the Flyers tonight. 

#sonofsami

I wish the son of Sami more luck than I save for most Leaf propects, but hope he is a huge non factor tonight. 

For us Ontario Flyer fans, a LOT on the line tonight. This game is live on HNIC, live across most of the nation!!  I know the Leafs called Kappy for tonights game, (which should give them even more speed) BUT this is a game where at LEAST one tough guy should get called up. Matt Martin will be fighting tonight, and it will be with a top 6 forward in Simmonds or a regular d man in Gudas...either one is not a even take away. 

The young Flyers defense will be tested in the quickness of their transition game tonight. Would have been a perfect time to call up Morin, more toughness and stay at home responsibility. Would also be a nice time for his first fight. 

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No i don't.

Refresh my memory.

this was awhile back maybe 2010ish. They were doing their pre-game and he let one squeak out and they all tried to hold in their laughter. When they came back from commercial they made a comment about Jones having a hard time keeping things in due to the excitement in the building 

4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

For us Ontario Flyer fans, a LOT on the line tonight. This game is live on HNIC, live across most of the nation!!  I know the Leafs called Kappy for tonights game, (which should give them even more speed) BUT this is a game where at LEAST one tough guy should get called up. Matt Martin will be fighting tonight, and it will be with a top 6 forward in Simmonds or a regular d man in Gudas...either one is not a even take away. 

The young Flyers defense will be tested in the quickness of their transition game tonight. Would have been a perfect time to call up Morin, more toughness and stay at home responsibility. Would also be a nice time for his first fight. 

Nice win! So glad you get to brag and rub it in to your Leafs buddies especially after beating them on HNIC!

Hopefully Grapes rips into them for good measure!

I didn't watch but listened on Sirius to the third.   The Leafs' announcers said we played a "workmanlike" game.  I gather that means it was unspectacular but got the job done...or Fred Anderson is even leakier than Elliott...either way, a win.  It's good to read Manning had a goal and an assist.  He may be a sort of unsung hero on the D.  

Has anybody heard about Ghost?  

Howie

Well, my Leaf vs Flyers fighting theory fell apart when the Leafs made Matt Martin a healthy scratch. Not nearly as physical a game as I thought it would be. Weird kinda game, Flyers got a lot of bounces their way. Watched it with a few Leaf fans (Metadeke and Pipers). 

16 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Well, my Leaf vs Flyers fighting theory fell apart when the Leafs made Matt Martin a healthy scratch. Not nearly as physical a game as I thought it would be. Weird kinda game, Flyers got a lot of bounces their way. Watched it with a few Leaf fans (Metadeke and Pipers). 

Martin literally plays 6 minutes a game. You don't dress someone just for him. Waste of a roster spot 

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

Martin literally plays 6 minutes a game. You don't dress someone just for him. Waste of a roster spot 

I dunno, you are right when it comes right down to it....BUT some teams target opponents feisty yet talented players to get them off the ice, creating an unequal situation for 5 to 7 minutes. It works a lot of the time, and special teams basically dictate who wins and who does not these days. Plus, Martin sets a very physical tone to games, if you don't match it with equal meanness, the other team grabs a mental edge. Just little things, but play a role in who gets the points sometimes. 

One other factor is the mysterious case of Tyler Ghoulbourne. Here we have a Homer pick, a 3rd rounder from 2013 that has languished in the minors for years and years. Judging from his demotion to the Reading Royals of the ECHL (farm team of the Phantoms for those that are unfamiliar) basically, puts his career into proper context...he is a gigantic bust. Of course, Hexy would never make a pick like this, stuff like that got Homer axed. It would however, be cool to see Ghouls kicking some Leaf ass, give him something to remember before his impending early retirement. HA, I remember everyone ripping Homer for drafting a goon in the 3rd, and it was worse than we thought initially......pfffft, what a tool that guy was. Ghouls looks like he is not even fighting anymore, which is ood....even though he's a respectable skater for a pugilist....if he does not fight, his chances of playing a few NHL games went from 2% to 0.1111 %....lol. 

I just don't know how the Flyers players don't get the same calls others do....no call on this...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

...yet Gudas gets ejected....now Ghost i'm sured is concussed. Flyer players continue to get the finger from the NHL. SMFH.

He should be suspended for this dirty hit. We'll see.

:rage:

It was nice to see them get a regulation win for a change. Voracek looks like he has finally snapped out his funk. (i hope).

giphy.gif

What a pass off the boards...

giphy.gif

Wow. Filppula with 5 goals 7 points in 10 games who knew. I wish he was under contract for next year instead of Lehtera.

giphy.gif

Elliot has really struggled with his rebound control man when he serves it up he serves it up fresh and hot.

giphy.gif

He did play better and have better rebound control in the 3rd thank God.

I'm not sold on him. I still wish the Flyers had sent a 3rd or 4th round for Halak from the Isles who spent last year in the AHL plus he is only on the books for this year. He is playing well for the Isles right now.

Flyers could of had options with Halak at the end of the year resign him or move on.

Now they have Elliot signed for next year and it ain't looking to great. 3.34 gaa to go with 885% yet still 5-2-0 don't know how.

Hope Ghost is ok.

"I got about 20 people in the stands that you know is family or friends,” Elliott said. “It’s always fun to win for them. You grow up around here as a Leafs fan, so beating them is extra special.”

“I probably had 20 people there,” Laughton said. “It’s nice for my grandparents to come and stuff. They don’t get to see me too often — all my extended family and things like that — my best buddy growing up. It’s nice for them to come. Yeah, it’s an expensive ticket here.”

Leafs’ loss to Flyers signals end of ‘fantasy tour’

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/article/leafs-loss-to-flyers-signals-end-of-fantasy-tour-1.899337

“Things were easy for us early; now teams have done a real nice job through the neutral zone and made it hard on us,” said Mike Babcock. “We had 10 neutral zone turnovers in the first period. Any way you look at it, that’s the National Hockey League. You clog it up in the neutral zone, you make it competitive, [then] you have to find a way to be good.”

Archived