A Take on the "Ellvirth" Tandem in Goal

Howie58

Greetings:

I saw this piece on our goaltending.  There is food for thought:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/11/6/16610404/philadelphia-flyers-goaltending-analysis-brian-elliott-michal-neuvirth-penalty-kill-statistics

Apparently our 5 on 5 save percentage isn't that bad. It stinks in the PK, particularly in light of the predicted scoring.  Mr. Elliott is deemed "brutal." I just saw us in the cellar of the Metro. Granted, it is only four points, but that's the problem--there is no room for error with this degree of parity. 

Let's hope this tandem gets its bleep together.  

Howie

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I saw this piece on our goaltending.  There is food for thought:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/11/6/16610404/philadelphia-flyers-goaltending-analysis-brian-elliott-michal-neuvirth-penalty-kill-statistics

Apparently our 5 on 5 save percentage isn't that bad. It stinks in the PK, particularly in light of the predicted scoring.  Mr. Elliott is deemed "brutal." I just saw us in the cellar of the Metro. Granted, it is only four points, but that's the problem--there is no room for error with this degree of parity. 

Let's hope this tandem gets its bleep together.  

Howie

Yeah Elliot at 59th in the NHL on the PP with a 789% is not to purdee either!!! JJJJEEEEZZZE!

Short handed it goes up slightly to 833% still not good enough. However i already knew this....sadly.

Not surprising, imo, regarding Elliott.  Figured there would be an adjustment period.  Hope things improve in December and beyond.  I am pleasantly surprised with Neuvirth's statistics.  

20 hours ago, vis said:

Not surprising, imo, regarding Elliott.  Figured there would be an adjustment period.  Hope things improve in December and beyond.  I am pleasantly surprised with Neuvirth's statistics.  

How crazy is it that the guy with the 2.17/.928 is 2-3-1 and the guy with the 3.11/.892 is 5-3-1?

And, for that matter, how sustainable?

I liked Knut's take on Another Thread about playing Neuvirth against the better teams, but giving Elliott the bulk of the starts to lessen the workload/risk of injury on Neuvirth.

In the end, though, both of these guys are stop gap placeholders until the Promising Young Goalie Prospects arrive. And I honestly expect a lot of treading water this season.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Thread about playing Neuvirth against the better teams, but giving Elliott the bulk of the starts to lessen the workload/risk of injury on Neuvirth.

Once they are hurt they have a backup plan....

DONWVt4XUAIopv8.jpg

2 hours ago, radoran said:

How crazy is it that the guy with the 2.17/.928 is 2-3-1 and the guy with the 3.11/.892 is 5-3-1?

Yeah, that's strange.  Is it a function of facing tougher competition?  Getting the second night in b-2-b situations?  Team not playing well for him?

Not really.  Neuvirth will come back to earth or get injured.  Elliott should improve.

I liked Knut's take on Another Thread about playing Neuvirth against the better teams, but giving Elliott the bulk of the starts to lessen the workload/risk of injury on Neuvirth.

Interesting approach.  I think that presents some interesting scenarios.  Like, what happens with division games where four points on the line?  Do you play Neuvirth (even if the team is not necessarily a "better" team)? 

In the end, though, both of these guys are stop gap placeholders until the Promising Young Goalie Prospects arrive. And I honestly expect a lot of treading water this season.

Same.  I'm not expecting goaltending to save (no pun) this team this year.  I am not expecting marked improvement over last year.

Elliott is a notorious slow starter. He's always been like that throughout his career. Look at his time in Ottawa, Colorado, St. Louis and Calgary. Slow starts. Once December rolls around, it's like a switch goes off and he gets blistering hot until around March and his play begins to cool down. As long as the Flyers give him decent breaks, he's going to be fine.

I've mentioned this in other posts, but one of Elliott's strengths is how well he communicates with the defense. Once he feels comfortable with the guys, you'll see him start to direct traffic more and become really vocal. He's going to be fine. I'm glad though that he's only on a two year deal because that means that someone is going to be getting groomed next year. 

27 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Elliott is a notorious slow starter. He's always been like that throughout his career. Look at his time in Ottawa, Colorado, St. Louis and Calgary. Slow starts. Once December rolls around, it's like a switch goes off and he gets blistering hot until around March and his play begins to cool down. As long as the Flyers give him decent breaks, he's going to be fine.

I've mentioned this in other posts, but one of Elliott's strengths is how well he communicates with the defense. Once he feels comfortable with the guys, you'll see him start to direct traffic more and become really vocal. He's going to be fine. I'm glad though that he's only on a two year deal because that means that someone is going to be getting groomed next year. 

Well i am certainly waiting for something to understand the signing. I hope he feels free to shows us any moment...points are just slipping away.

On 11/9/2017 at 12:00 PM, radoran said:

They're both capable in bigger games as Elliott showed us last night.  And they're both capable of stinkers. 

I dont think there's any debate anywhere from us on up to Hextall that these guys are expected  to be meh at best. 

Its been a really interesting saga and ive been very entertained by it.  I've understood every move Hextall has made throughout and I can't disagree too vehemently with any of them.  

The largest complicating factor IMHO has been Stolarz's injury status these past 5 months. He finished in the NHL strong IMHO. 

Hextall LL seemed to think he wasn't strong enough to risk declaring the backup because he knew Neuvy can't finish a season as a number 1 (and said as much). 

So we get Elliott at bargain Barrel rates.

I myself liked another guy better of the cheap UFA options, but Elliott has the track record as far as starts in a season and that vet presence, so I get it.  

Ling story short (and I said these in the other thread) I don't think either goalie has cost us a game yet.  It's not as bad as last year.  The games they've lost they were either woefully outplayed, or just didn't get the bounces or the calls.  I can't point to a single game in which a soft goal or several cost them points.  Of course a year ago they were getting ready to go on a 10-0 run, so who knows what they do from here on out.  

22 hours ago, vis said:

Interesting approach.  I think that presents some interesting scenarios.  Like, what happens with division games where four points on the line?  Do you play Neuvirth (even if the team is not necessarily a "better" team)?

It's going to be pretty much moot because there's no way we're going to have any sort of real "insight" into what the hell Hakstol is thinking with his goalie selections.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Elliot.

I feel like some folks are overthinking the Elliott signing. Hex felt we needed a stop gap goalie to hold us over until the kids are ready. He looked around, and the pickings were slim. He wasn't going to go for someone like Bishop (which would have been a mistake anyway), Bernier likely would have wanted more term, and that just about left Elliott as the only option around.

That's it really. As far as his performance goes, I'm pretty sure this is about what Hex expected from him. I know it's about what I expected, and Hex is clearly far more knowledgeable in this type of thing that I am. I really don't think there's a magic formula here...

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Elliot.

Because of Neuvirth's injury track record, They needed to sign a UFA and couldn't do it until after 7/1. 

I wanted Anders Nilsson, but I don't think Hextall wanted to be that creative.  He signed with the Canucks for less money over a mere 2 years and then started out playing really well, making me look like a genius but then got hurt.  Anyway Elliott had the right 50+ game experience and a decent track record and was seemingly happy to sign for a short duration, so I get it. 

Anyway, did you want someone else or did you think they should have rolled the dice with Neuvy and Stolarz/Lyon?

Archived