Game 53: Flyers at Hurricanes, 2/6 @ 7

Howie58

@vis

The good news is Lehtera played a team-low 7:27 - and when you factor in PK time, he played under 5 minutes at even strength. Zero PP time.

At this point, I wonder if we'd just be better off with Matt Read on the 4th line. 

Or better yet - 

Lindblom/Laughton/Weal

Raffl/Filppula/Leier

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Pucked in the head said:

If it did hit him I didn't see it not in the replay either

Does anyone have a link to video of the patrick high stick?  I really didn't catch it during the game and i'd love to get a better look at it. 

8 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Does anyone have a link to video of the patrick high stick?  I really didn't catch it during the game and i'd love to get a better look at it. 

it wasn't a high stick... if you are talking about the play on McGinn.   It was a shoulder/elbow hit when they were going into the boards.   

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

it wasn't a high stick... if you are talking about the play on McGinn.   It was a shoulder/elbow hit when they were going into the boards.   

I'm talking about the one he got the double minor for high sticking for.  Whether it was or wasn't I couldn't say as I was putting my kid to bed.

24 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm talking about the one he got the double minor for high sticking for.  Whether it was or wasn't I couldn't say as I was putting my kid to bed.

yup, that is the play.... they called it high sticking but it was an elbow/shoulder to the nose.   It was a tough play but other than that play Patrick continued to play a very strong game.   You can really see his puck possession coming along. 

Last night the kids (Weal, Patrick and TK) were the best players on the ice.  I thought Elliott was really strong as well...

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

As much as I like Jake last night was frustrating as hell to watch.   Turnovers, cross ice passes and the reluctance to shoot the puck can be maddening at times.   

As much as I like his production, turnovers and cross ice passes have been a thing of his forever. The odd part is his point totals despite those seemingly unfortunate tendencies. Reluctance to shoot isn't normally a thing for him though. Maybe that's the missing link really.

26 minutes ago, elmatus said:

As much as I like his production, turnovers and cross ice passes have been a thing of his forever. The odd part is his point totals despite those seemingly unfortunate tendencies. Reluctance to shoot isn't normally a thing for him though. Maybe that's the missing link really.

He is a very good player but last night was so frustrating to watch.   

There is a tendency to overpass the puck when if you have a lane you need to shoot.   In the end they got the 2 points which was needed.

@murraycraven @elmatus

It's crazy that Voracek is getting assists at a 0.96 assists per game clip. That's elite level in this league. 

Where I think Voracek gets in trouble is that he doesn't seem to know how to make the safe play. When he's pressured and runs out of options, he usually makes a terrible decision that results in a turnover - blind pass, skating through an entire team, etc. If he just hung on to the puck along the boards or moved it to a safe area, problem solved. Every other competent player on our team gets this right most of the time. 

But not Jake, lol. 

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

@murraycraven @elmatus

It's crazy that Voracek is getting assists at a 0.96 assists per game clip. That's elite level in this league. 

Where I think Voracek gets in trouble is that he doesn't seem to know how to make the safe play. When he's pressured and runs out of options, he usually makes a terrible decision that results in a turnover - blind pass, skating through an entire team, etc. If he just hung on to the puck along the boards or moved it to a safe area, problem solved. Every other competent player on our team gets this right most of the time. 

But not Jake, lol. 

great assessment.   It is amazing that he is putting up those assist numbers.   I think he is always going to be the "take the good with the bad" type player.   And when you are putting up the numbers that he is it is hard to knock a player.

13 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

great assessment.   It is amazing that he is putting up those assist numbers.   I think he is always going to be the "take the good with the bad" type player.   And when you are putting up the numbers that he is it is hard to knock a player.

Exactly. I just wish he'd learn. Take Ghost, for example. He is a different player defensively this year than last year, and developing into a top pairing guy that is well-rounded with exceptional offensive skills to boot.

It would be nice if Jake were as committed to the defensive part of his game too.

9 minutes ago, brelic said:

It would be nice if Jake were as committed to the defensive part of his game too.

he would dominate if he would committ to that part of the game.   Sadly, I think he is more of a finished product now.   

Going zero for five on the PP is a real nightmare.  Is our talent that poor? Is the coaching that "inappropriate?" Is there bad chemistry?  This was noted in three reviews.  

By the same token, our first round pick is coming to life.  If not mistaken his Corsi was high on the team.  Yep, he took a dumb penalty but I suspect even the best vets will do that.  Patrick is aware of the game.  It will be fun seeing him grow.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:17 AM, murraycraven said:

As much as I like Jake last night was frustrating as hell to watch.   Turnovers, cross ice passes and the reluctance to shoot the puck can be maddening at times.   

He is the cycle killer...

...i watch him and it's like us all as we get older we are just not as good as we once were it's like in his head he thinks he can pull off some of these plays he tries with his stick and in reality man it's ugly like a bumbling fool....the less he has to handle the puck the better off he is...the longer he holds it the more likely he does something stupid or tries the lowest percentage shot he could possibly take...

I guess the question is performance tomorrow night....can they learn from what worked and what didn't?  As for the PP-when do you throw in the towel on the personnel up front?  I don't see Provorov or Ghost as the problem.  They seem to get too fancy and/or pass-crazy instead of shooting and getting a bounce that may go in their favor.  Pursuit of perfection is swamping what might be adequate and more effective.  

36 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Pursuit of perfection is swamping what might be adequate and more effective

It really is on the 1st PP unit.

K.I.S.S!!!! KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID is what they need.

On the 2nd PP unit the personnel needs a change up some. This too me if he was ready is where Sanheim could play a huge role.

But he is not and should be left to continue to work on his game....so i would be up for suggestions on who should be removed and added to the 2nd unit.

The PP combined with the failed PK is straight killing them.

Adn even if they were to make the playoffs they don't stand a chance performing like this. Just cold hard truth.

7 hours ago, brelic said:

At this point, I wonder if we'd just be better off with Matt Read on the 4th line. 

Or better yet - 

Lindblom/Laughton/Weal

Raffl/Filppula/Leier

No to Matt Read.  I'd be afraid Hakstol would be tempted to use him even more than he does without lehtera.  Last I recall, Read was invisible in the AHL.  

Dont mind your bottom six at all.  Curious to see Lindblom.  

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is the cycle killer...

...i watch him and it's like us all as we get older we are just not as good as we once were it's like in his head he thinks he can pull some of these plays he tries with his stick and in reality man it's ugly like a bumbling fool....the less he has to handle the puck the better off he is...the longer he holds it the more likely he does something stupid or tries the lowest percentage shot he could possibly take...

can't argue with that at all OR.   The thing is he protects the puck so well but I also think he tries to make one or two too many plays.   The turnovers are a tough thing for a young defense and almost always creates an odd-man rush.   It is super frustrating...

So did anyone else catch the HORRIBLE, blind, behind the back "pass" or "clearing attempt" or whatever it was by McDUD from behind his own net, that went RIGHT on the stick of a hurricanes player for a wide open shot that Elliott was able to snag! Luckily! Like he was passing it to the canes!

Man does #47 suck it up out there....I noticed another bonehead play of his but can't pull it up right now.....

Outside of #9 and #53 our D is looking pretty rag tag lately...

Archived