So where are we?

vis

@brelic

yes, I'd say the season is a success to this point based on what I expected at the outset of the season.  however, if they fall out of the playoffs - which is very unlikely - then I'd have to reevaluate things.  they have certainly exceeded my expectations at this point.  all season I said they are not a top 3 team in the division. then they go out and prove that they can be.

As far as which team shows up, that was more a comment on whether we are heading for an opposite way streak.  yes, teams got through rough patches.  the challenging thing with this team is that its "highs" tend to be really high and its lows tend to be really "low," often coming on the heals of one another.  they have smoothed out a bit, I think, since January so maybe the rollercoaster has leveled off.

Even though I"m very happy with where they are at this point and making the playoffs would be a success, I will be disappointed if they come up with small efforts in these next few games.  Perhaps somewhat contradictory to what I stated above, my expectations have been built up over the second half of the season to this point.  

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I don't think that's sustainable or even advisable as a strategy, IMO. 

The NHL season is a marathon - they need to play smarter, not necessarily harder. Learn the systems inside and out, execute them to the highest of their abilities, and practice, practice, practice.

The characteristic of Hakstol's team to ramp up in the second half is a good one, hopefully gets them peaking at the right time.

Thank you for your opinions. It's could be also interesting: Smarter or harder from an other perspectives. Are these attitudes disputing each other?

During the last three matches Flyers shot 117 times and from the other side arrived only 73 shoots to Mrazek. So Flyers could be hard enough in this data, but they got 14 scorses and earned 8.
The puck battle datas are 117-73 to Flyers!! 
So they were smarter and harder from Hurricanes, Tampa or Panthers in these datas, but it weren't enough.
And only only earned 1 score during power play. Would they have been smart enough?

And there are also interesting datas about the three matches before the three games tour in the southeast.
During the matches against Canadiens, Columbus and Senators Flyers shot 92 times, and the other teams shot only 76 times. They earned 8 scores by which they could won three times. They won the puck battle 101-57 during these matches!!! This datas can show us they could look like smart and hard also, and these were enough even they didn't earn goal during power play.

The shame were approximately the same during the six games but the results were contrary.
Have we two faces or that only depends on fortune? Defensives? Goalies?
Besides this we were very weak during power play in this six matches.... So whether where will step Flyers in the next match(es)?  

39 minutes ago, vis said:

@brelic

Even though I"m very happy with where they are at this point and making the playoffs would be a success, I will be disappointed if they come up with small efforts in these next few games.  Perhaps somewhat contradictory to what I stated above, my expectations have been built up over the second half of the season to this point.  

Yes, absolutely! Me too. They start to make a believer out of us.

If they go .500 against the Pens, Bruins, Jets, and Knights, I'd say that's a win. All of those teams are ahead of us, and I'd say the 'easiest' game is against the Pens. They just happen to be two-time defending Cup champions who are becoming hot at the right time. They've been here several times and know what it takes. 

In contrast, most of our team has *never* been here. The only player on our team from the 2010 run is Giroux. These guys have no idea what it takes to even just *make* the playoffs at the NHL level.

There are 11 guys on our roster with zero or very little (< 10 games) playoff experience. Put another way, Giroux has just about the same number of playoff games by himself as the other guys combined. 

I'm gonna go on a (not very adventurous) limb and say the Flyers will make the playoffs. They would need a major collapse to miss the playoffs - worse than an 0-5-5 run. 

I'm just gonna enjoy the ride, even if the ups and downs make me queasy!

43 minutes ago, brelic said:

If they go .500 against the Pens, Bruins, Jets, and Knights, I'd say that's a win.

Well i like their chances know that Simmer will be back and Oskar is staying in the lineup meaning hopefully a turd will sit!

And yes fair or not i think it will start in the crease.....Mrazek needs to return to his 1st 3 games form....if not i'm afraid they get lit up like a christmas tree.

7 hours ago, brelic said:

If they go .500 against the Pens, Bruins, Jets, and Knights, I'd say that's a win.

Yeah, if you told me they would get 4 out of a possible 8 points, I'd be ok.

7 hours ago, brelic said:

I'm gonna go on a (not very adventurous) limb and say the Flyers will make the playoffs. They would need a major collapse to miss the playoffs - worse than an 0-5-5 run. 

For sure.  I think they are pretty far from missing the POs.  Would be nice to get home ice for at least the first round.  Wednesday's game is huge in that regard.

those teams had many things in common, but most important was a coach and a leader. Shero rolled 4 lines and 6 d. Everyone felt important and had a job to do. Shero had the philosophy of assign a small task and do it well. Keenan coached a similar style. Second and most important was leadership. Clarke was as good a captain as the NHL has ever seen. Never quit, never surrender, and a whole lot of skill. The 80's teams were led by Dave Poulin and and Mark Howe. They held everyone accountable, and were respected by their teammates, who did not want to let them down. With leadership like that you go hard, every shift. Not balls to the wall, just effort and integrity every night, within the system. Hockey is not a mystical game. The team that moves best when they don't have the puck wins.

@GTamas

If i'm understanding your post, you're saying the Flyers haven't had poor effort.

I think I would largely agree with that.  

I think Carolina is a bad match up for the Flyers until more of their speedy young players find their way into the lineup. 

The Florida game was tough to watch, it reminded me of that stinkin' Patrick Elias led Devils team from the late 90's. the Flyers have the puck and are pressing pressing pressing, but on the first zone entry for the Devils Elias finds the back of the net. 

welcome to the board !

@mojo in regards to your Elias statement..that was a recurring nightmare, it also happened a lot against the Rangers. We would spend eternity in their zone bombard the net with quality shots and Beezer or Richter would stone us. The Rangers would get a handful of low % shots and due to a defensive breakdown or poor goaltending  the Rangers would be up by 2 or 3 goals before you knew it. We would have 48 shots they would have 16 and we would lose. Some things never change.

Mojo, thank you for your comment and welcome! You have understood the essential of  my comment. The strategy of pressing and pressing and pressing could be efficient which were the situation  against Habs, Senators, CBJ, and during he next three games against Hurricans, TBL, Panthers the pressing playing wasn’t enough. In these six games Flyers won significantly more pucks battle and shot more than its actually opponent. I made a little mistake,  sorry, the puck battle data against CH, TBL, FP were 99-68 to Flyers. So I agree with you, they hasn’t had bad effort in these data and which can shows us the pressing playing and it’s effectivness from the two side. And yes, from the bad side we have notorious matches in the past against Devils and than Jeremy said against Rangers. The situation were exactly the same as you has rightly mentioned CH and FP as against Tampa during the horrible 5-6 minutes when Flyers seriatim got  three scores.... Tampa’s 4th and 5th were exactly the same. And in spite of this pressing playing unfourtunately Flyers earned only "1" power play score........

So I think at this moment this is the real Flyers what is could be efficient , but I don’t know what did the defensive players better against the winner matches....that will be necceserry to play it....

4 hours ago, GTamas said:

Mojo, thank you for your comment and welcome! You have understood the essential of  my comment. The strategy of pressing and pressing and pressing could be efficient which were the situation  against Habs, Senators, CBJ, and during he next three games against Hurricans, TBL, Panthers the pressing playing wasn’t enough. In these six games Flyers won significantly more pucks battle and shot more than its actually opponent. I made a little mistake,  sorry, the puck battle data against CH, TBL, FP were 99-68 to Flyers. So I agree with you, they hasn’t had bad effort in these data and which can shows us the pressing playing and it’s effectivness from the two side. And yes, from the bad side we have notorious matches in the past against Devils and than Jeremy said against Rangers. The situation were exactly the same as you has rightly mentioned CH and FP as against Tampa during the horrible 5-6 minutes when Flyers seriatim got  three scores.... Tampa’s 4th and 5th were exactly the same. And in spite of this pressing playing unfourtunately Flyers earned only "1" power play score........

So I think at this moment this is the real Flyers what is could be efficient , but I don’t know what did the defensive players better against the winner matches....that will be necceserry to play it....

For the entire season, the Flyers have been solid at suppressing shots (4th best in the NHL). I think that points to a strong system of puck disruption in the neutral zone and defensive zone.

But, the big thing that sticks out in recent games - and in fact, most of the season - is that they allow too many high-danger chances because of the high-risk type of game they play, and because of the number of rookies/young players in the lineup. They turn over the puck a lot, and also make a number of mistakes in clearing their zone which generates pressure against them. 

They gave up half a dozen breakaways and odd-man rushes against both the Lightning and Panthers. Over time, that will start to burn your team.

20 hours ago, brelic said:

For the entire season, the Flyers have been solid at suppressing shots (4th best in the NHL). I think that points to a strong system of puck disruption in the neutral zone and defensive zone.

But, the big thing that sticks out in recent games - and in fact, most of the season - is that they allow too many high-danger chances because of the high-risk type of game they play, and because of the number of rookies/young players in the lineup. They turn over the puck a lot, and also make a number of mistakes in clearing their zone which generates pressure against them. 

They gave up half a dozen breakaways and odd-man rushes against both the Lightning and Panthers. Over time, that will start to burn your team.

Thank you. This is a good opinion and argument. That can be one of a main character of Flayers during the season. The rookies or – I would add – players with weaker season’s playtime in the past haven’t got enough experience as should be and for a solid season. They could support the offensive players or effective offensive playing as there are example but they could make easily key mistakes for example that you have mentioned in the back skating or clearing their zone. Hoping their fast improvement for the play off.......

Archived