So where are we?

vis

Panic button?  Jumping off a bridge?  Should Hakstol/Hextall be fired?  Bench Giroux/Voracek/Couturier?  (I'd ask if we should trade them, but we are past the deadline.)  Should Lyon/Tokarski/Stolarz/Hart/Sandstrom start the next game?  Call up the entire Phantoms defense?  What is the plan?

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone could have expected that streak to continue.  They were bound for a dip and some would say it had already started a few games before.  Rarely can teams sustain that kind of performance in this league, especially the Flyers since doing so would require them to play at the very top of their game every night.  They cannot get away with lackluster play.  No team can, except TB probably.

Full disclosure: I did not see either game in its entirety.  I watched some of both games on replay.  Much less of the Florida game.

In my opinion, they are mentally gassed.  Also, b2b afternoon games in Florida is a cruel turn of the schedule.  Everyone deals with a tough schedule from time to time, but that's got to be a rough swing for any team.  This organization is historically bad on Florida trips, if I am not mistaken.  Plus, I bet they tied one on pretty good after the TB game.  Btw, not surprised by the results over the weekend, though the TB score did raise an eyebrow - good and bad.

I'm waiting to see how the rest of this week plus Monday vs. Vegas turns out.  I think the following is a good possibility:

• Win against Pittsburgh in what should be a solid game.  They always play them tough.
  • Loss against Boston.  Tough game to come back with the next night.  It's the second to last game in a 6-game home stand for the Bruins where they have won three in a row (they play Detroit Tuesday).  Flyers coming off a victory against the Pens.  Just don't think they have the gas to get a win.
  • Win against Winnipeg.  These afternoon games against Western Conference teams are usually snoozers and this will be the fourth game of a 6-game east coast swing for the Jets that began last night.  For the Jets, this game is essentially a 10:00am PT start time.  Think the Flyers look to rebound after the Bruins loss.  Flyers could get caught here, though.
  • Win against Vegas.  Last game of a 5-game east coast swing for the Golden Knights.  Hope they are looking forward to their flights home that night.

I'd be fine with any one of the games being an OTL.  I'd be happy with 6 points and fine with 5.  Four is OK.  Fewer points than that would be disappointing.  Outright losing three of four would be cause for real concern.  Not really caring about the order in which the get points, but obviously points vs. Eastern Conference teams is preferred.

I don't see Lyon starting any of the games, barring injury to Mrazek.  Even the Pitt/Bos b2b games.

Sanheim will probably get called up, but I bet MacDonald doesn't miss a lot of time.

31 minutes ago, vis said:

Win against Pittsburgh in what should be a solid game.  They always play them tough.

Can not call it with this group. This right now is the biggest game of the year (until the next game really then that one is).

I have to use the ol cliche but it really applies....it is one game at a time don't look at tomorrow, don't look at next week.

Just the Pens game. Home ice is on the line. #1 seed will take care of itself if they can get back in the win column.

I'm not going to make any predictions. I'm glad i'm off for both us these back to back games i hope they can find a way to win.

35 minutes ago, vis said:

Panic button?  Jumping off a bridge?  Should Hakstol/Hextall be fired?  Bench Giroux/Voracek/Couturier?  (I'd ask if we should trade them, but we are past the deadline.)  Should Lyon/Tokarski/Stolarz/Hart/Sandstrom start the next game?  Call up the entire Phantoms defense?  What is the plan?

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone could have expected that streak to continue.  They were bound for a dip and some would say it had already started a few games before.  Rarely can teams sustain that kind of performance in this league, especially the Flyers since doing so would require them to play at the very top of their game every night.  They cannot get away with lackluster play.  No team can, except TB probably.

Full disclosure: I did not see either game in its entirety.  I watched some of both games on replay.  Much less of the Florida game.

In my opinion, they are mentally gassed.  Also, b2b afternoon games in Florida is a cruel turn of the schedule.  Everyone deals with a tough schedule from time to time, but that's got to be a rough swing for any team.  This organization is historically bad on Florida trips, if I am not mistaken.  Plus, I bet they tied one on pretty good after the TB game.  Btw, not surprised by the results over the weekend, though the TB score did raise an eyebrow - good and bad.

I'm waiting to see how the rest of this week plus Monday vs. Vegas turns out.  I think the following is a good possibility:

• Win against Pittsburgh in what should be a solid game.  They always play them tough.
  • Loss against Boston.  Tough game to come back with the next night.  It's the second to last game in a 6-game home stand for the Bruins where they have won three in a row (they play Detroit Tuesday).  Flyers coming off a victory against the Pens.  Just don't think they have the gas to get a win.
  • Win against Winnipeg.  These afternoon games against Western Conference teams are usually snoozers and this will be the fourth game of a 6-game east coast swing for the Jets that began last night.  For the Jets, this game is essentially a 10:00am PT start time.  Think the Flyers look to rebound after the Bruins loss.  Flyers could get caught here, though.
  • Win against Vegas.  Last game of a 5-game east coast swing for the Golden Knights.  Hope they are looking forward to their flights home that night.

I'd be fine with any one of the games being an OTL.  I'd be happy with 6 points and fine with 5.  Four is OK.  Fewer points than that would be disappointing.  Outright losing three of four would be cause for real concern.  Not really caring about the order in which the get points, but obviously points vs. Eastern Conference teams is preferred.

I don't see Lyon starting any of the games, barring injury to Mrazek.  Even the Pitt/Bos b2b games.

Sanheim will probably get called up, but I bet MacDonald doesn't miss a lot of time.

I think the team is doing better than most of us expected at this point of the season. They were way overdue for a bit of a losing streak...I mean any non-delusional fan can look at our D outside the top pairing and our 4th line and (surprise) our goaltending and say we're just not good enough to compete with the big boys.

Normally I would be fine with a win against the Pens in those 4 tough games...but I bet a pint on the Bruins game so that is THE must-win for me!

I think in the off season  we probably need to trade for a second pairing veteran defenseman with shutdown abilities. We really only have Morin who is that style of player in our system, but he has missed  just about the entire season . It's unfortunate that he could have been gaining valuable NHL experience this year and ready for a bigger role next year,  but now he is a question mark for next year. I hate to give up assets or picks...is there a solid veteran dman that is an UFA?

I'd like to see some hitting , blasting penguins into the third row and slow them down we've had success in the past playing rough with Cindy and the rest of the pens ,and don't let them run you out of your own building!! This is a huge game and can go either way in the confidence department,win and they'll be flying high , lose and it might have a negative effect on some of the youth.

I sure hope the fans are super supportive wed night and have that place rockin from the drop of the puck! It's definitely going to have that playoff feel, ultimately it is playoff type hockey from here on out, cause if you lose 3 or so more games they just might find themselves on the outside looking in ,as far as playoffs are concerned,may sound a bit extreme but it's damn near reality right now the hunt for the playoffs is always a hard bumpy road, and then you always have them damn spoiler teams that are out, and just want to make your life hell

7 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

WE CONTROL OUR OWN DESTINY. We play hard , SMART hockey game in and game out for the full 60 and play the way we know we can ,we should be fine.( But we don't live in a perfect world) so I think we may need a liiiiiittle help along the way

It will go a long way to get the Petr Mrazek from his first 3 Flyer games and not the last 3.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

I think in the off season  we probably need to trade for a second pairing veteran defenseman with shutdown abilities. We really only have Morin who is that style of player in our system, but he has missed  just about the entire season . It's unfortunate that he could have been gaining valuable NHL experience this year and ready for a bigger role next year,  but now he is a question mark for next year. I hate to give up assets or picks...is there a solid veteran dman that is an UFA?

Simmer or Jake will bring that d-man or more scoring. Who come in to fix pk.

7 hours ago, vis said:

This is really the truth.  Who knows what team shows up?  

I don't think it's a matter of 'which team shows up' because they're all professionals. They approach each game the same way, just like every other team. 

I mean, every team goes through ups and downs. Vegas is 1-2-1 in their last 4, 3-3-1 in their last 7. TB went on a 2-5-0 stretch earlier in the season. Nashville had a 1-4-0 stretch. And these are the elite teams. They've limited their downs. We know the Flyers are not elite... yet. 

Teams that are closer to us have similar rough patches. The Caps are on a 5-6-0 run (7-8-0 in last 15), they had a 3-7-0 run, and a 1-4-0 one too. The Pens had a 4-6-2 run, a 1-5-1, and a 2-7-3 stretch. The Devils had a 2-8-2 stretch, a 2-4-2, and currently on a 2-5-0 run.

It's hockey.

To address some of your original points, I don't think it's time to panic at all. There's an adage that you are what your record says you are, all else be damned. If you agree with that, I'd say the Flyers are doing better than I thought they would - I figured them to be a playoff bubble team. They seem to be slightly better than that, and that's good news. There is definite growth from last year, and with the slew of talent we have in the pipeline, I'm optimistic that they will keep improving over time.

I agree with you that they might be mentally gassed from a 10-0-2 run. Let's see how they regroup and fare during a tough stretch against high quality opponents. 

In the larger picture, there are some amazingly positive themes that have emerged from this season.

- the resurgence of Giroux

- the emergence of Couturier as a (almost) 30 goal, PPG scorer without sacrificing his defensive prowess

- the maturation of TK and how he's exploded on the top line (he's on a 0.5 gpg pace, 0.96 ppg pace since being on the top line)

- the development of Ghost into an all situations, top pairing defenseman. Right now, he's our #1.

- Provorov has kept developing nicely too, and seems to have refocused himself after a tough stretch

- Hagg is having a solid rookie season, seems to be developing nicely into a #4/5 defenseman.

- Patrick had a rough start, but since his benching and full recovery from injuries, he's showing why he was #2 overall (7pts in last 9)

- Voracek is having a career year

- Hakstol still makes some puzzling decisions, but there's evidence he's learning and growing too, coaxing a lot out of this group and keeping them loose

So whatever happens from this point, this season has been a success on many levels, IMO. Just like the 0-5-5 stretch was a team-defining moment for the guys in the room and behind the bench, this season just adds to their shared experiences and development. A playoff round or two will definitely help too - they'll get to see what *real* hockey is like and what it takes to succeed at this level.

16 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I think the team is doing better than most of us expected at this point of the season.

Absolutely, I think this team is what it is.... they have capitalized on the last month's schedule (easy) and are in a race to make the playoffs.  We will see how they respond through this stretch and right now they are playing like an average teams plays. They are not as bad as the 10 game winning streak and certainly not a contender yet in any way, shape or form.  The bottom 6 is questionable at best and their 2 top goalies are hurt.   I give them kudos so far this year...

Not sure what people really expect but this team is seriously flawed so why folks "heff to be mad?"

Nobody expected 2nd place at this point in time. The question nobody can answer is when or if will all these prospects be elite and legitimately compete for a cup. My only hope for the future of this team is an identity will emerge as a team that makes the opponent earn every inch of ice, every puck battle, finish every check and never let a teammate down. Playoff hockey hard all season. For all the flaws Clarke and Holmgren had as GM's they had all these characteristics as players. 

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can not call it with this group. This right now is the biggest game of the year (until the next game really then that one is).

I have to use the ol cliche but it really applies....it is one game at a time don't look at tomorrow, don't look at next week.

Just the Pens game. Home ice is on the line. #1 seed will take care of itself if they can get back in the win column.

I'm not going to make any predictions. I'm glad i'm off for both us these back to back games i hope they can find a way to win.

This mindset is absolutely on the right side! A match against Pens is the Match. I also take my hope to this start point to go upgrade...

2 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Nobody expected 2nd place at this point in time. The question nobody can answer is when or if will all these prospects be elite and legitimately compete for a cup. My only hope for the future of this team is an identity will emerge as a team that makes the opponent earn every inch of ice, every puck battle, finish every check and never let a teammate down. Playoff hockey hard all season. For all the flaws Clarke and Holmgren had as GM's they had all these characteristics as players. 

I don't think that's sustainable or even advisable as a strategy, IMO. 

The NHL season is a marathon - they need to play smarter, not necessarily harder. Learn the systems inside and out, execute them to the highest of their abilities, and practice, practice, practice.

The characteristic of Hakstol's team to ramp up in the second half is a good one, hopefully gets them peaking at the right time.

12 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

The teams of the 70's and 80"s played with that identity and went to multiple cup finals. It is sustainable if you have depth and players with character.

I'll take your word for it, because I was too young to really dissect those teams. 

But, what I meant is that you can't go balls to the walls all year. I don't mean slacking off - I mean playing better within your system instead of just go, go, go without clear purpose, focus, and team cohesion.

Archived