Gostisbehere article

brelic

I can't believe I haven't seen this before. 

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/shayne-gostisbehere-philadelphia-flyers-nhl

Great heartfelt interview with Ghost. Kinda reads like a blog post. Lots of good nuggets! 

In 2012, after a strong freshman year at Union, my hockey advisor told me I might go in the sixth or seventh round of the draft. I mean, there’s only seven rounds. So when I heard that, I was excited, but I didn’t really know what to think, because I could’ve just as easily not been drafted at all. 

So I was eating breakfast with my family in Florida during the third round — and I really wasn’t paying attention to the TV. The draft was on in the background and muted. We were just having a regular morning. I remember, I think I was taking dishes into the kitchen, and I saw the Flyers logo on the big board, then … GOSTISBEHERE popped up.

Like, you know how train departure times pop up at a station? Same thing. 

I was like, “Uh, Mom?” 

And she flat-out tackled me onto the couch — like, a perfect wrap and take-down. 

Everyone started crying. I couldn’t believe it. I don’t think I had really pictured my draft-day moment, but I definitely didn’t expect it to go down like that.

And then this...

Alright, I want to talk about this year’s team a bit. But before I do, I know people made a lot of me being a healthy scratch last year. It was tough to deal with, yes, but I understood it.

When my shooting percentage went from 13% to 3% — and nothing was seeming to go my way — that’s when I got how hard it was to be an NHL player. And being able to step away from that, for even a single night, can really help.

I won’t lie, though. I had to delete Twitter off my phone. During my rookie season, I loved scrolling through my mentions and interacting with fans, but when it wasn’t going well it was hard. You can only read “you’re a one-hit wonder” so many times before you go crazy.

But I’m actually glad I went through that, because I feel like I’m better for it. Now, if we get in a rut, I can deal with it better. We’ve got a great mix of young guys and veterans — I think that’s really important to who we are and where we want to go. There’s a good group of us who are in the category of “Not Old Enough to Touch the Aux Cord After a Win,” and we try and keep it light in the room.

Go Flyers!

I could have sworn I heard in the broadcast yesterday that one of the talking heads said something like "Ghost wasn't sure he was going to be on the Flyers last year...."   

Something about how he wasn't playing well and eluding to how the Flyers might have traded him.   

Maybe I misheard.

18 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I could have sworn I heard in the broadcast yesterday that one of the talking heads said something like "Ghost wasn't sure he was going to be on the Flyers last year...."   

Something about how he wasn't playing well and eluding to how the Flyers might have traded him.   

Maybe I misheard.

No you heard correctly. It was douchebag Mike Milbury and he made reference that after a disappointing season last year, Ghost’s future on the Flyers this year was in question. Another comment Milbury just pulled out of his ass!

On 3/26/2018 at 9:18 AM, Digityman said:

Maybe I misheard.

Hopefully that was just drumming up drama for the broadcast.  

After the rookie year he had and the partners he was being given last year and oh yeah... he was recovering from the same surgery G had that kept him most of the year, it wouldn't be wise really.

Of course, if Ghost is looking like he's struggling and you're worried he might end up like Andy Delmore or someone, Hextall was (and frankly still is) staring down the prospect of having more viable D men than he has roster spots.

Manning deparing (presumably) after this year will help, but Sanheim, Morin, and Hagg all pretty much need roster spots and Phil Myers isn't going to make leaving him in Allentown easy either.  With MacDonald and Gudas presumably going nowhere,  only 2 spots will be open for those 4 to fight over.  If Hextall foresaw all that this last year, then he might be open to offers for Ghost if the price was right... he did afterall trade a 30 goal Schenn for two picks and a giant mannequin with lead feet. 

I'm glad he didn't.  I never thought any of what was happening to Ghost last year was remotely fair or based on reasonable expectations of what he could or should be doing.  Maybe it's just my eternal optimism, but that's why I tend to think the rumors of him being trade blocked are and always were bunk.  Not for nuthin, but they might have helped make the contract he signed end of year more reasonable as well.

Anyway, Ghost a given, next season could literally see the Flyers carrying 3 goalies and 7 D men on the 23 man roster.

On 3/26/2018 at 9:39 AM, Samifan said:

No you heard correctly. It was douchebag Mike Milbury and he made reference that after a disappointing season last year, Ghost’s future on the Flyers this year was in question. Another comment Milbury just pulled out of his ass!

Most likely, right?  Sounds like the kind of thing a guy like Milbury might find vomiting out of his mouth in between periods when they ask the lush to fill up 90 seconds with some BS or another on a team he knows jack about.

I just said this above, but I think the only real way trade rumors were in play was to specifically gin up suspicion and encourage Ghost to sign the team friendly contract he did.  

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

Hextall was (and frankly still is) staring down the prospect of having more viable D men than he has roster spots.

Those my friend are huge stacks of gold and great bargaining chips for the pieces he may be missing.

It is why it is so crucial to hold onto your picks.

When need be they can be flipped.

Just like he flipped a 6th round long shot  (Marody) into a 3rd rounder.

Build an asset pool keep the ones you need and the rest still have trade value hopefully if you chose wisley.

Archived