Konecny demoted to 3rd line, WTF?

Samifan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this mean Weal is getting time with the top line? That makes zero sense what so ever. 

Do or die weekend and Hakstol is pulling this rabbit out of his coaching hat?

15 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Raffl with G and Coots 

Weal out Laughton back on 4th per Bill M.

I don't agree with this.  At all.  Wonder if this lasts all game or reverts once it inevitably shows itself to be a train wreck.

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't agree with this.  At all.  Wonder if this lasts all game or reverts once it inevitably shows itself to be a train wreck.

Maybe Hak is trying to get fired, LOL

Ok, this is bizarre.

I get what he's trying to do, but why move a defensively responsible forward - Raffl - to a line that is *already* defensively responsible, and move away the offensively gifted Konecy - who the coach continually doesn't trust defensively - to a defensive black-hole with Simmonds and Filppula? 

I think what I suggested yesterday makes WAY more sense than this if you want to spread speed, defensive responsibility, and scoring around.

G/Coots/TK

Lindblom/Patrick/Simmonds

Raffl/Filppula/Voracek

Read/Laughton/Leier

Ugh. 

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Prediction: Filppula scores a hattie

That would involving him actually shoot a hockey puck, unless they are all deflections. :VeryCool:

1 minute ago, Samifan said:

That would involving him actually shoot a hockey puck, unless they are all deflections. :VeryCool:

Doesn't matter how they go in, they all count equally.

If this sticks the entire game I would be shocked.... then again, I am shocked with most things when it comes to Hakstol.   

TK has been arguably the best player on the ice over the last month...   so it makes perfect sense that he would be on the 3rd line and seeing less minutes.   :bonkingheadonwall:

image.png

16 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think what I suggested yesterday makes WAY more sense than this if you want to spread speed, defensive responsibility, and scoring around.

G/Coots/TK

Lindblom/Patrick/Simmonds

Raffl/Filppula/Voracek

Read/Laughton/Leier

Yes, this makes more sense to me.

50 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Does this mean Weal is getting time with the top line? That makes zero sense what so ever. 

Do or die weekend and Hakstol is pulling this rabbit out of his coaching hat?

Raffl on line 1 and Weal in the Cote Suite

FLYERS 

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 12 Michael Raffl
54 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek
11 Travis Konecny - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 17 Wayne Simmonds 
21 Scott Laughton - 15 Jori Lehterä - 24 Matt Read

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
47 Andrew MacDonald - 6 Travis Sanheim 
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

37 Brian Elliott
[34 Petr Mrazek]

Scratches: 20 Taylor Leier (healthy), 22 Dale Weise (healthy), 8 Robert Hägg (healthy), 29 Johnny Oduya (healthy), 40 Jordan Weal (healthy), 49 Alex Lyon (healthy scratch if Flyers recall him, otherwise re-assigned to Lehigh Valley), 30 Michal Neuvirth (lower body).

5 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

11 Travis Konecny - 51 Valtteri Filppula - 17 Wayne Simmonds 

Not only is Konecny on the third line, but he's on the wrong side!   The left side really hurt his development last year.  Why do this?

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Not only is Konecny on the third line, but he's on the wrong side!   The left side really hurt his development last year.  Why do this?

b.c. Hak is a f&cking moron!

but don't worry.... our 3rd d-pairing will play 20+ minutes tonight!!!

4 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Raffl on line 1 and Weal in the Cote Suite

that's hilarious.

I watched carchidi's cell phone video of the Hak's pregame availability.

It seems to me like he wants to get Simmer going and thinks TK can help. He sorta kinda says that

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/status/981912837860753409

With the Fil Simmer and TK had some good success bit...

I think the biggest news is Elliot starts, Hak tries hard to not throw Mrazek under the bus completely, but I'd go all in on my 3 of a kind against this particular poker face.

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

It seems to me like he wants to get Simmer going and thinks TK can help. He sorta kinda says that

I love Simmer and he scored last game... then again, he was a defensive liability last game as well.   TK won't be helping his defensive play and that is not a knock on TK.   

Just now, murraycraven said:

I love Simmer and he scored last game... then again, he was a defensive liability last game as well.   TK won't be helping his defensive play and that is not a knock on TK.   

I was going to say that if he wanted to get Simmer going, why not just move him to Patrick's wing?   But I guess two things:

1) Patrick is really starting to get going and maybe he didn't want to upset that apple cart.

2) Maybe the concern is that Simmonds and Patrick actually occupy two similar spaces around the net and might conflict?  

#2 is a weaker argument than the first, but maybe..

the move is a head-scratcher to me for sure.

I think @brelic 's point about defensive black holes may be prescient tonite. I hope not, I guess we have to hope Fil wins the faceoff and those guys hang on to the puck.  That's not really Simmer's game, I think maybe when the 'canes go up 2-nil we'll see TK back with 14 & 28.

20 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

the move is a head-scratcher to me for sure.

I think @brelic 's point about defensive black holes may be prescient tonite. I hope not, I guess we have to hope Fil wins the faceoff and those guys hang on to the puck.  That's not really Simmer's game, I think maybe when the 'canes go up 2-nil we'll see TK back with 14 & 28.

Exactly... so who gets the matchup against the Aho and Teravainen line? That's one deadly line that has burned Filppula's line in the past. 

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

So one of our best players the last month will get less ice time. :bonkingheadonwall:

I'm assuming this is a match up play to better shut down Staal's line a bit more than last time.  Hopefully just to do anything to get the win.  

Even if that's true, I'm really not sure I agree with the mentality of breaking of such an amazing offensive threat as that line.  

They flat out just have to win at any cost and this feels like using a full surgical team as a solution to the problem of removing a splinter.  

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm assuming this is a match up play to better shut down Staal's line a bit more than last time.

Possibly.

But if you're looking for defense against Staal's line, is Konecny your best choice?   There are probably worse choices, but I'm not sure flipping Raffl for Konecny is it.  Especially when you now have Konecny playing a side of the ice he's not used to.  I suppose that can be over exaggerated, but if it's for defense you'd think you'd want someone used to playing that side and have recent live-game muscle memory of where he's supposed to be.

18 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Even if that's true, I'm really not sure I agree with the mentality of breaking of such an amazing offensive threat as that line.

Agreed.   It strikes me as a "play not to lose" rather than a "play to win" thing.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

Agreed.   It strikes me as a "play not to lose" rather than a "play to win" thing.

Nailed it!! This is classic Hakstol. “Let’s just go out there and get that point tonight guys. One point tonight and Saturday and We SHOULD GET IN”:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Archived