Konecny demoted to 3rd line, WTF?

Samifan

22 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm assuming this is a match up play to better shut down Staal's line a bit more than last time.  Hopefully just to do anything to get the win.  

You know, now that I'm thinking more about this, given that Simmonds has been struggling on defense (I have to assume it's a nagging injury because he was previously good on PK, etc.), would it not be better simply to flip Simmonds and Konecny?   Konecny is still not my first choice to sure up the defense on a line, but he'd possibly be more mobile than Simmonds.  Meanwhile, you keep Konecny on his natural side while seeing if you can get Simmonds going.   I'm not sure I actually like Simmonds with Coots and Giroux, but I still think this is a better solution than having TK switch sides and have him with a struggling Simmer and FlippyFloppy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Possibly.

But if you're looking for defense against Staal's line, is Konecny your best choice?   There are probably worse choices, but I'm not sure flipping Raffl for Konecny is it.  Especially when you now have Konecny playing a side of the ice he's not used to.  I suppose that can be over exaggerated, but if it's for defense you'd think you'd want someone used to playing that side and have recent live-game muscle memory of where he's supposed to be.

Agreed.   It strikes me as a "play not to lose" rather than a "play to win" thing.

I'm saying that I'm guessing Coots and G and Raffl will match up against Staal, not FIlppula and Konecny.

I still don't agree with it.  You don't replace a spark plug with a refurbished one when all pistons are firing.  

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I suppose that can be over exaggerated, but if it's for defense you'd think you'd want someone used to playing that side and have recent live-game muscle memory of where he's supposed to be.

Add to that the decision to start a goalie fresh off core muscle surgery pending he has no setbacks *today* - on GAMEDAY - for the single most important game of the year to this point. 

I dunno, this has disaster written all over it. I'm usually a very positive person, but this strikes me as desperation rather than sound strategy. 

2 hours ago, Bertmega said:

Does this mean Weal is getting time with the top line? That makes zero sense what so ever. 

Do or die weekend and Hakstol is pulling this rabbit out of his coaching hat?

Don't know why he's going through all this when putting Laughton in for Lehtera and Hagg in for gudas and limiting all of their respective ice times is all he needs.

Does he not realize why they lost?  Does he somehow think it was Konecny?

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

I'm saying that I'm guessing Coots and G and Raffl will match up against Staal, not FIlppula and Konecny.

I still don't agree with it.  You don't replace a spark plug with a refurbished one when all pistons are firing.  

Oh, gotcha.  Yeah, I still agree with your last part.  Plus, I think it opens up some horrible matchups against other lines.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Add to that the decision to start a goalie fresh off core muscle surgery pending he has no setbacks *today* - on GAMEDAY - for the single most important game of the year to this point. 

I dunno, this has disaster written all over it. I'm usually a very positive person, but this strikes me as desperation rather than sound strategy. 

When did that start?  You mean you test positive?

I'm kidding.  I know you are.

I get starting Elliott given our options and the desire to go get this.  If it backfires healthwise, he's probably shut down for the duration and comes back next year.   But it is truly sad that the guy fresh off core muscle surgery is your best option.

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Don't know why he's going through all this when putting Laughton in for Lehtera and Hagg in for gudas and limiting all of their respective ice times is all he needs.

I think coach Chip Hakstol knows that he may have two games left in his tenure in Philly. He should be playing Hagg and Laughton, but every brilliant coach knows that you must demote your most dynamic offensive threat to get the team rolling. 

Short of a deep run this clown needs to go back to college, or bake cakes or something

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

When did that start?  You mean you test positive?

I'm kidding.  I know you are.

Lol!

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I get starting Elliott given our options and the desire to go get this.  If it backfires healthwise, he's probably shut down for the duration and comes back next year.   But it is truly sad that the guy fresh off core muscle surgery is your best option.

Yeah, I get it too, and like you say, it's sad that it's our best option. 

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
47 Andrew MacDonald - 6 Travis Sanheim 
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

i was so focused on the Konecny thing that I didn't pay attention to the defense.  Hagg is healthy, right?   How is he not a better option than either Manning or Gudas?  I really liked Gudas, but he's been effectively neutered by the league.  It's a shame.

But I would never put Manning and Gudas together anyway.  That's simply management malpractice.    Yeah, I'd put Hagg in for Gudas.

Your last line "...think it was Konecny" is ridiculous if that's the case.

2 hours ago, murraycraven said:

our 3rd d-pairing will play 20+ minutes tonight!!!

In their own end!!!:hehe:

Better yet put them out there with Manning and Gudas to get them out the zone!!!! :VeryCool:

Why would Hextall go when we're already seeing his work come together.   Let's go back to the incredible success we used to have [sic].

More kids are coming and the (expensive) space savers will go.  We're almost there.

Now, Hakstol I could argue either way.   I'm in favor of another year, but I won't be heartbroken if not -- so long as they don't bring Craig Berube back.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
47 Andrew MacDonald - 6 Travis Sanheim 
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

i was so focused on the Konecny thing that I didn't pay attention to the defense.  Hagg is healthy, right?   How is he not a better option than either Manning or Gudas?  I really liked Gudas, but he's been effectively neutered by the league.  It's a shame.

But I would never put Manning and Gudas together anyway.  That's simply management malpractice.    Yeah, I'd put Hagg in for Gudas.

Your last line "...think it was Konecny" is ridiculous if that's the case.

apparently (after further reports) hak is implying that Konecny is there to help jump start Simmonds and Filppula.  And to be fair... they have not been good.

Still... is game 81 when you absolutely NEED a win the time for experiments?

He did this a couple weeks ago. TK was back on top line within the first 10 minutes. It will be the same thing tonight. TK on the third line is the least of their worries. Manning and Gudas in the lineup at the same time and on the same pair is the real issue. Good thing their at home tonight so at least try match D pairing with Carolina. I've never seen a D pairing get hemmed in their own zone as much as those two and its usually because they gave the puck away on a simple breakout. Is Morin still not healthy? He's got to be better then those two. 

12 minutes ago, FlyersFan4Life said:

It's official this coach is a dumbass. He's Chip Kelly 2.0 of the NHL. No matter what happens in the playoffs this coach needs to go next year along with Ron Hextall

Hakstol maybe...  I still say just empower an assistant who knows what he's doing (like they did with Terry Murray helping Stevens in '08)...

But Hextall?  Everything he's doing is working.  The worst thing i can say about him this year is that he didn't micromanage and barge in on Hakstol's purview and tell him who to play or which goalie NOT to start.  That's not really his place and that kind of crap is exactly what got the team into the situation it was in when Hextall took over.  

He game Hakstol the best players.  Hakstol wouldn't play them.  Short of forcing him (which is a crappy and ultimately ineffectual way to manage) or firing him mid season, there really wasn't anything else Hextall could do.  he gave him Sanheim.  Hak wouldn't play him.  He could have given him Lindblom sooner maybe... but the time in the AHL really seems to have helped Oscar.  

Hextall still gets good approval ratings as far as I'm conncered.  

3 hours ago, brelic said:

I don't think hack has a sound strategy! Or any kind of strategy!

35 minutes ago, Pucked in the head said:

Put him back on the top line!!!!  28,14,11.  19,17,93    54,12,24.   21,51,15

I would go with:

Giroux Coots TK

Lindy Patty Jake

Laughton Fil Simmer

Leir Read Raffl

Read played a lot of center in the AHL this past year why not try it now?

Archived