2018 Minnesota Wild Draft Discussion .......

pilldoc

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I swear I never even heard of the Athletic until maybe a month or two ago. Sucks you have to have a subscription.  I keep stumbling all over it suddenly. 

Russo used the be the beat writer for the Wild and moved to the Athletic about a year ago. Kind of sucks, because he gets great background on the team, and he isn't afraid to call a spade a spade, unlike the other Wild beat writers around here...

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is laughable...not the pick (time will tell), but all you self-proclaimed experts who think you know more than Fenton and Flahr!  Relax people...if Johansson sucks 2-3 years from now, rip away.

One thing I know is you can't teach processor speed and this kid, from everything I've read, has a very high hockey IQ. Bode Wilde, on the other hand, does not...which is exactly why a potential top 10 talent wasn't taken in the 1st round.  A kid can be the best skater, have the best hands, and be 9 feet tall and weigh 400 pounds...but if he can't think the game at a very fast pace...he will never be a good NHL player, period.  Give this kid a chance to prove himself...maybe 5 years from now we will all be very happy about today...

2 minutes ago, Davey J said:

This is laughable...not the pick (time will tell), but all you self-proclaimed experts who think you know more than Fenton and Flahr!  Relax people...if Johansson sucks 2-3 years from now, rip away.

One thing I know is you can't teach processor speed and this kid, from everything I've read, has a very high hockey IQ. Bode Wilde, on the other hand, does not...which is exactly why a potential top 10 talent wasn't taken in the 1st round.  A kid can be the best skater, have the best hands, and be 9 feet tall and weigh 400 pounds...but if he can't think the game at a very fast pace...he will never be a good NHL player, period.  Give this kid a chance to prove himself...maybe 5 years from now we will all be very happy about today...

Yep BF and our scouting staff are so astute that they find these gems when no one else sees them. that kid should have been a third rounder.  Thinking the game at very fast pace is great but if you dont have the tools to go with the mind its like a gun with no bullets. Davey are you drinking that Bald Eagle water again I remember a few drafts where you were right there with us torches in hand ready to storm the x after a few drafts. Theres a awful lot of scouts that think he was a latter round pick. 

1 minute ago, Bear said:

Yep BF and our scouting staff are so astute that they find these gems when no one else sees them. that kid should have been a third rounder.  Thinking the game at very fast pace is great but if you dont have the tools to go with the mind its like a gun with no bullets. Davey are you drinking that Bald Eagle water again I remember a few drafts where you were right there with us torches in hand ready to storm the x after a few drafts. Theres a awful lot of scouts that think he was a latter round pick. 

I don't like Bald Eagle Lake...I'm a White Bear Lake guy...

All I'm saying is regardless of what anyone..."experts" or guys like us think about this kid...we don't know a damn thing.  We all can read.  We all can make opinions based on other people's opinions.  But, none of us have seen this kid play.  Not to mention, "experts" and scouts have been wrong 100s and 100s of times when it comes to drafting players.  There isn't one draft in history that was drafted exactly as it should be.  Did I want a physical defenseman or a goal-scoring forward drafted?  Of course I did!  But I'm not going to jump on the internet and claim I know better than Fenton and Flahr.  That's ridiculous!

#62  Wild pick Jack McBain

6'3, 201 lb Center

Ranked #50 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM

Ranked #54 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS

Ranked #52 by ISS HOCKEY

Ranked #51 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #35 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Ranked #35 by TSN/McKenzie

Steve Kournianos - SportingNews/The Draft Analyst - April 28: "Aggressive power forward with a hard, accurate shot who turned down the chance to play major junior to maintain his NCAA eligibility for Boston College."

1 hour ago, Davey J said:

The issue isn’t that any of us know how this kid will turn out (I wish him all the best). The issue centers around why the Wild alone would jump him 25-50 spots ahead from any other team or scout ranking and take him where they did (versus someone who won’t be available much later than 24).  Thereafter, a secondary issue is that they do not need another slight defenseman that is redundant within their roster unless they trade one of them (which still does not leave them with a needed young, large, rangy, defensemen that cleans up the crease as a first priority).  Lastly, all drafts are about ‘draft capital.’  You can use it to trade up or back to take players in reasonably appropriate spots.  The Wild whiffed in this regard (trade back and take him in the second in exchange for a player blocked on another team).  This is piss poor use of draft capital positioning.  Given the scouting and drafting history of the Wild, I think there is plenty of latitude to criticize them with this pick (and numerous other picks and pick trade decisions).  Surely you don’t disagree?!?

McBain pick is much more appropriate use of ‘draft capital.’  We don’t know if he will be any good either, but we do know that he fills a need (big power forward), and was drafted in a position that suited his rankings.  

Johanssen will also also need some significant time to ‘adjust’ to the NHL game versus Europe, as size is at a premium with most of the players he will see when the games count in the playoffs.   This adjustment can be a significant jump for many Euro players that have not played at that level prior (and can significantly impede the ability to defend when the game is more a combo force/skill based versus just skill based).  Ever know anyone that played in the Euro leagues?  They will validate this adjustment.  

1 hour ago, Davey J said:

I don't like Bald Eagle Lake...I'm a White Bear Lake guy...

All I'm saying is regardless of what anyone..."experts" or guys like us think about this kid...we don't know a damn thing.  We all can read.  We all can make opinions based on other people's opinions.  But, none of us have seen this kid play.  Not to mention, "experts" and scouts have been wrong 100s and 100s of times when it comes to drafting players.  There isn't one draft in history that was drafted exactly as it should be.  Did I want a physical defenseman or a goal-scoring forward drafted?  Of course I did!  But I'm not going to jump on the internet and claim I know better than Fenton and Flahr.  That's ridiculous!

I respect your points above, the draft can be a crapshoot, but would argue that the Wild scouts have flushed more first round picks than numerous other teams (I would say that they are batting less than .100 from the DR-CF years, with many of the same scouts). When they do make some astute picks; Burns,, Leddy, Tuch, Kaprisov, Haula; they lose them to other teams or have common sense gaffes or signing difficulty).  Then, there’s the Phillips, Pouliot, Sheppard, Cuna, Gillies, Thelen, etc.....a complete list of embarrassingly bad picks.  

So they pick up a 75th pick guy with their 1st round pick and a 35th to 50th ranked guy with a third pick.

Mother Teresa ought to slap these dumb bastards. Not for the McBain pick, but holy sheep sh!t that first rounder is mind boggling. What draft year goes by without bringing up mind boggling? Will there ever be a draft for the Wild where 99.99% of Wild fans don't scratch their heads and wince during my lifetime??

I'll say this much, I did expect Fenton to pick a D and a C in the draft and he did. Did I expect him to pick Johansson? Not one bit, came totally out of the woodwork. And from the looks of it, he's a mix of Brodin and Suter, with slightly better stickhandling (I'm going by the descriptions of him here). And I honestly expected Fenton to pick Samuelsson incase Miller wasn't available anymore. Now the Sabres got two good D out of the draft.

McBain pick seems promising though, big aggressive center is one of the things we needed.

As for the rest of the 3rd picks:

Alexander Khovanov - Seems decent. Short but looks strong, russians aren't known to be hindered by their height in general.

Connor Dewar - Eh? 5th/6th rounder by projections? Small too, don't expect him to get too far in the NHL.

So quick question for you guys as I am at work and can't look up stats atm.. from what I've seen as they've gotten picked it seems like most of these forwards they're drafting are Left handed shots... to a team that has an abundance of left handed shooters.. am I wrong here? or?

I'm still don't like the 1st rounder but I don't mind a good portion of these later picks... I just hate to see the Wild reach in the first like that.. its hard for a team to build from the draft if they're constantly missing on or trading first rounders. 

2 minutes ago, Gnarkill said:

So quick question for you guys as I am at work and can't look up stats atm.. from what I've seen as they've gotten picked it seems like most of these forwards they're drafting are Left handed shots... to a team that has an abundance of left handed shooters.. am I wrong here? or?

I'm still don't like the 1st rounder but I don't mind a good portion of these later picks... I just hate to see the Wild reach in the first like that.. its hard for a team to build from the draft if they're constantly missing on or trading first rounders. 

Yes, forwards have all been left handed, while the D drafted have been right.

I know we needed right handers on on the blue line so I get that but it seems odd to me to take so many left-handed forwards considering how many are on the Wild and in Iowa currently. '

also thanks for the info! lol am on break here and had to get my Wild/draft news fix quick! haha 

1 hour ago, EmptyShelf said:

The issue isn’t that any of us know how this kid will turn out (I wish him all the best). The issue centers around why the Wild alone would jump him 25-50 spots ahead from any other team or scout ranking and take him where they did (versus someone who won’t be available much later than 24).  Thereafter, a secondary issue is that they do not need another slight defenseman that is redundant within their roster unless they trade one of them (which still does not leave them with a needed young, large, rangy, defensemen that cleans up the crease as a first priority).  Lastly, all drafts are about ‘draft capital.’  You can use it to trade up or back to take players in reasonably appropriate spots.  The Wild whiffed in this regard (trade back and take him in the second in exchange for a player blocked on another team).  This is piss poor use of draft capital positioning.  Given the scouting and drafting history of the Wild, I think there is plenty of latitude to criticize them with this pick (and numerous other picks and pick trade decisions).  Surely you don’t disagree?!?

There is no redundancy in this pick...he won't be in the NHL for 3-6 years.  Even the Wild don't know who will be on the Wild roster then...

41 minutes ago, Gnarkill said:

I know we needed right handers on on the blue line so I get that but it seems odd to me to take so many left-handed forwards considering how many are on the Wild and in Iowa currently. '

also thanks for the info! lol am on break here and had to get my Wild/draft news fix quick! haha 

They picked one right handed forward now atleast!

Interesting sidenote: They haven't picked one US born player yet. Only canadians, swedes and one russian so far.

35 minutes ago, Davey J said:

There is no redundancy in this pick...he won't be in the NHL for 3-6 years.  Even the Wild don't know who will be on the Wild roster then...

It's total redundancy. The Wild are desperately in need of a clear the crease d-man and they got another smooth skating daffodil.

This isn't just coming from me... Every hockey pro in the league knows the Wild needs an aggressively bone-crunching type player on defense and for about the umpteenth year now they got another please don't wrinkle my sweater puthy.

Specifically, you've wanted to get rid of soft player on defense... List them all the time in hopes of acquiring a guy with a bit of an angry sneer in his style and you don't find this redundant?

30 minutes ago, rottenrefs said:

It's total redundancy. The Wild are desperately in need of a clear the crease d-man and they got another smooth skating daffodil.

This isn't just coming from me... Every hockey pro in the league knows the Wild needs an aggressively bone-crunching type player on defense and for about the umpteenth year now they got another please don't wrinkle my sweater puthy.

Specifically, you've wanted to get rid of soft player on defense... List them all the time in hopes of acquiring a guy with a bit of an angry sneer in his style and you don't find this redundant?

I am not saying I no longer want defensemen with piss and vinegar, I am saying this kid is years away from playing in the NHL and the Wild might have plenty of piss and vinegar by the time/if he arrives in the NHL.  I see your point though...the "type" of player he is is redundant, but when we have no idea what the roster will look like in 3-5 years, he specifically is not redundant.  Did I explain that well???  It makes sense in my head, but not as much when I try to write it.

2 hours ago, Davey J said:

The way they value Brodie, Dumba, and Spurgeon (letting players like Tuch and Haula, and possibly a Zucker or Nino leave), as well as being stuck with Suter Into the next century, I disagree.  Maybe 6 years out, but not 3-4.  I am sticking with redundant.  You only can survive with one-two of these types in your Top 4, and the Wild seem to have all 4 (and reserves like Oloffsson and this kid as a prospect).  Hell, if Reilly could have played ANY defense, he would still be here too.  

51 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

The way they value Brodie, Dumba, and Spurgeon (letting players like Tuch and Haula, and possibly a Zucker or Nino leave), as well as being stuck with Suter Into the next century, I disagree.  Maybe 6 years out, but not 3-4.  I am sticking with redundant.  You only can survive with one-two of these types in your Top 4, and the Wild seem to have all 4 (and reserves like Oloffsson and this kid as a prospect).  Hell, if Reilly could have played ANY defense, he would still be here too.  

I agree with you completely.  If having a bunch of non-physical puck moving defenseman with limited offense was the way to go...why don't we see more teams deploying bluelines like that?  They don't...you have to have a hitter, you have to have a scorer...you have to have a puck mover but not just one type of player but all we draft is one type of player.  

17 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

A complete summary of Day 2 of the 2018 NHL draft, player by player

I wrote a profile for each guy we selected today.  A few ok projects, but a few strange selections too.  Enjoy.  

On initial reaction from other sources, I was enthusiastic about McBain and Khovanov.   That enthusiasm was dampened by your solid compilation of "what the scouts say".    For me, the biggest disappointment of the Wild draft collectively,  is the overall lack of speed (separation).       And the biggest specific disappointment was not using the first pick on a high reward, high risk choice like Bokk.   IMO, the Wild haven't swung for the fences with a top pick since Dumba in 2012.   

Hey kids, let's play a game!

Name that Wild defenseman!

Owns very good size and has puck-moving skills. Also looks like a true all-round defenseman down the road. His offensive ability is also on the rise and has good potential.
FLAWS:
Must get stronger in order to maximize his frame at the National Hockey League level. Also needs to prove he can become a more intimidating presence as a professional.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
All-round defenseman with a little upside.

Has supreme puck-moving ability, plus a projectable frame and defensive acumen. Can log plenty of minutes for his hockey club, in any situation, which adds to his overall value.
FLAWS:
Needs to add more bulk and get physically stronger to best handle National Hockey League forwards. May be a bit too passive in his demeanor, overall. Injuries can be a factor.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Talented puck-moving defenseman with a little upside.

Good size and has puck-moving skills. Intelligent defenseman, but no part of his game is noteworthy. Potential safety net for a puck moving defenseman. 
FLAWS:
Needs to improve acceleration and strength. Also needs to bulk up to compete at NHL level.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Top four all-round defenseman with a some upside.

Archived