UFA goaltenders

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think he should.  But that's a  180° change in opinion from when he went down.   What I cannot believe is that Neuvirth hasn't already, once and forever, lost the backup position.   What does it take, Instagram bullying?

I don't think it is a change of opinion at all, Once Elliot returned the Flyers didn't have room for 4 goaltenders.  The Phantoms needed him for their own playoff run.  

I just really don't think Hextall will do anything until he see's Neuvirth in camp ready, or not ready for the season.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, hf101 said:
27 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I think he should.  But that's a  180° change in opinion from when he went down.   What I cannot believe is that Neuvirth hasn't already, once and forever, lost the backup position.   What does it take, Instagram bullying?

I don't think it is a change of opinion at all, Once Elliot returned the Flyers didn't have room for 4 goaltenders.  The Phantoms needed him for their own playoff run.  

I just really don't think Hextall will do anything until he see's Neuvirth in camp ready, or not ready for the season.

I meant it's 180° change of MY opinion.   I can assure you that it is.  And honestly, he needed to go down.  He was horrible at the NHL level.  He seems like maybe he used the experience to decide "I need to do XYZ if I want to go back," and then went and did it.   So, I'd like to see him get another look.

I think you're right about Hextall/Neuvirth in the last statement.   But this too me is foolish.  I don't really care if he looks good in camp. He has a long history of not being able to stay healthy.  For Hextall's part, when you've been smacked in the head by a hammer ten times and it hurt all ten times, I don't understand waiting to see if the 11th time will hurt.   I want to agree he's arguably better than Elliott when he's injured.  Those 9 minutes are terrific.  

As I'm typing, I guess the argument for waiting is that if he's still injured and can go on LTIR, then maybe that gets more cap room (why that matters if we're not signing anyone, I have no idea) and solves what to do with him.

@ruxpin

Ah.

At this point, Neuvirth's trade value is a -10 or worse.  There is no need to sign a UFA just to take the spot of Lyons, Stolarz and Hart's development as Neuvy would need to be put on waivers and would need a place to play if passed on by waivers.  At least if he comes into camp strong and healthy Hextall can use him, or trade him with some return.  Or like you said LTIR is an option too.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Perhaps he just meant shaky. 

He was to start but not many rookie goalies aren't.

However his last 5 games he played well....even in the Pens game he was hung out to dry.

Yet no way would i say flaky.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He was to start but not many rookie goalies aren't.

However his last 5 games he played well....even in the Pens game he was hung out to dry.

Yet no way would i say flaky.

Yeah, "flaky" has a different implication to me (I'm guessing that's why @hf101 asked, too). I'll buy "shaky."

You and I have expressed differing opinions on his stint so I'll save us either excedrin or alcohol revisiting that. I respect your opinion on that even if I don't see it the same.  

But I do want to see him again because even his Phantoms performance after call up/return was night and day from before.  I suspect that's not just coincidence or streak, but the fall will tell. 

46 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He was horrible at the NHL level. 

Your memory does not serve you well this morning.

Verus the Blue Jackets he pitched a shutout followed by games vs Canes 920% Wings 917% and NYR 917%.

Dude  got better and better as he played in fact he was the reason they were still in the playoff hunt.

And before the team meltdown vs the Bruins he recorded 962% vs NYR and 926% vs Montreal.

Sure not the best of teams but man the team in front of him was going through some issues fighting for the playoffs that guy held them in it.

Was he kind of sporadic and floppy in net?? Sure but man the whole team was skaky at the time and he was doing everything he could to give them a chance....no way am i going to not give him credit for hanging in there and fighting like he did.

And it seems others here are being a little hard on the guy. But i guess it's t be expected from Flyers fans.

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'll buy "shaky."

I'll agree with that. But not all the time there were moments i'll give you that....but man the defense in front of him many many nights were Keystone kops in front of him...the collection of Mcdud, Gudas and Manning did not inspire confidence at all.

Especially when that is supposed to be your "vets calming effect"....holy baby jezus he should have PTSD after a few games...

...especially after that Broons spanking.

Now with that said do i want to really go into next season with Elliott and Lyon as the goalies???

Hell no.

I said i would be ok with a trade for Craig Anderson.

I would love to flip Neuvy, Gudas and even Weal for Anderson and a pick back.

Praying we can get the Anderson from 2016-17 playoff run that went 11-8 2.34 gaa and 922% in their deep playoff run.

Is it risky??

Hell yeah...but f**k it let's roll the dice.

I think a Anderson/Elliott duo could be nice next year...some may think i need a padded cell too...

29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Your memory does not serve you well this morning.

Yeah, it's really not a memory thing.  I said it at the time and ever since: I didn't like what I saw.  Just gonna leave it at that, because he played really very well in Lehigh after that.  Arguably better than at any time previously.  He seems like he realized what he needs to work on and then went and did it.  Good on him. 

But I do agree with your thought about next year.  I'm not really comfortable with Elliott/Lyon. 

Even if either one of us are right about last year with Lyon, it doesn't change my discomfort.  Because it's not really about Lyon for me. I'm more worried about the use of goalies, Elliot's health, and the potential workload for the "not Elliott" player in an Elliott/(insert name) tandem.  I'd be more comfortable with a vet. 

But, I guess we drafted these kids for a reason. So, gotta go with it at some point. Maybe trying Lyon or Stolarz is better with Elliott than waiting and doing it with Hart. 

I say screw it, just through Hart to the wolves see if he can handle the bigs.

If he can't that's fine, no biggie, he's prolly just gonna drive his sports car into a concrete wall someday anyway.

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But, I guess we drafted these kids for a reason.

Lyon wasn't draft he was a free agent signing...so nothing lost by going out and getting him.

However i'm not saying he is this club's saving grace either. They need better goaltending. Especially if they want to go further than last year.

No way can they go status quo.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

say screw it, just through Hart to the wolves see if he can handle the bigs.

Hell to the nah!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

If he can't that's fine, no biggie, he's prolly just gonna drive his sports car into a concrete wall someday anyway.

He has just been given a segway.....nothing more!!! 😡 🤬

REPORTED!!!!

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

No way can they go status quo

Man, I hope not. 

Is there any thought that Felix Sandstrom comes straight to the Flyers this year? 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Agree.  Last year's cap number for him is manageable.  He could come for less than that (his play/injuries didn't get him a raise, IMO), but the Isles and some others need goalie so that could drive the price up some.  I still go kick the tires.

Well, the fact that the Flyers qualified Stolarz creates a major logjam without doing anything.

Under contract -

Elliott

Neuvirth

Lyon

Hart

Stolarz

We already have too many goalies and someone's going to the ECHL, and I can tell you it ain't Hart or Lyon.

Now maybe they trade one over the summer, but which one? Stolarz has no value because he didn't play, Neuvirth has almost no value because he's completely unreliable. 

So signing Bernier - or any goalie - would be a bit strange. Really, the only movable goalie is Elliott.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Under contract -

Elliott

Neuvirth

Lyon

Hart

Stolarz

They signed Sandstrom in March, too. Just to logjam it up worse and make your point even more. 

They signed Sandstrom in March, too. Just to logjam it up worse and make your point even more. 

At least with Sandstrom, he is not here fighting for a job. I would think it's Flyers (if getting out of his contract is an option) or Sweden.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Man, I hope not. 

Is there any thought that Felix Sandstrom comes straight to the Flyers this year? 

No he is staying in the SHL for next year.

His entry level will start but he'll be more like on a loan to his team.

He will be over next year.

12 minutes ago, brelic said:

We already have too many goalies and someone's going to the ECHL, and I can tell you it ain't Hart or Lyon.

It can only be Hart. He will be the only one on an entry level deal.

Lyon can't be sent down there unless he is signed to an AHL deal.

You can be sent down down there on your entry level. So someone could be shipped out if they lose out to a battle...

...but remember Lyon and Stolie will have to pass through waivers to be sent down so who knows one could get claimed.

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It can only be Hart. He will be the only one on an entry level deal.

Hmm. Well we know that won't happen, so something else has to give.

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Lyon can't be sent down there unless he is signed to an AHL deal.

You can be sent down down there on your entry level. So someone could be shipped out if they lose out to a battle...

...but remember Lyon and Stolie will have to pass through waivers to be sent down so who knows one could get claimed.

Really? In that case, maybe that's exactly what they're planning for. They know one is likely to get claimed (probably Lyon).

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hmm. Well we know that won't happen, so something else has to give.

Well if it come down to a numbers thing and Hextall was trying to trade someone and to maintain leverage in a deal he could be sent to the ECHL for those reasons it would be for good or long and it wouldn't hurt him.

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

Really? In that case, maybe that's exactly what they're planning for. They know one is likely to get claimed (probably Lyon).

Yes or Ron has plans to trade Neuvy.

He tried last year.

He just maybe needs free agency to start and some guys in goal to sign first to know who needs help.

I don't think he has many takers for him now before free agency but who knows after and few guys gets sign maybe just maybe someone will take a low risk on Neuvy.

Guess we'll see.

On 6/28/2018 at 10:28 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Well if it come down to a numbers thing and Hextall was trying to trade someone and to maintain leverage in a deal he could be sent to the ECHL for those reasons it would be for good or long and it wouldn't hurt him.

Yes or Ron has plans to trade Neuvy.

He tried last year.

He just maybe needs free agency to start and some guys in goal to sign first to know who needs help.

I don't think he has many takers for him now before free agency but who knows after and few guys gets sign maybe just maybe someone will take a low risk on Neuvy.

Guess we'll see.

Someone told me AHL teams could carry 3 goalies.  

If not, I'm still pushing the idea of having Neuvirth be the 23rd man on the Flyers so he can sit in the press box, stay healthy and take practice minutes from Elliott.  

WIthout either of those options on the table, it's actually an incredible catch-22 (or a catch-30 maybe).  You can't play Neuvrith without sending someone to the ECHL and you can't get out of sending someone to the ECHL until you play Neuvirth and he immediately gets hurt again.

On 6/28/2018 at 9:49 AM, brelic said:

So signing Bernier - or any goalie - would be a bit strange. Really, the only movable goalie is Elliott.

I know I'm a broken record, but the thing to do is carry Neuvirth as the 23rd man and just dress him for practice.  If you need the spot you can waive him.  If no one bites, keep waiving him all the way to the ECHL.  

Really only only have to carry him on the 23 man roster for a few weeks and play him until he gets hurt and then you just LTIR him til his contract is up or everyone else is hurt.  

It's manageable.  Carrying a 3rd goalie on the roster is just a bit unconventional, but it'll work. 

@King Knut

What would you think about carrying Neuvirth as the 23rd man and just dressing him for practice so we don't overkill Elliott?

I don't know what made me think of it, but it could possibly work.

;)  You're singing my song!  ...on repeat!

56 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If no one bites, keep waiving him all the way to the ECHL.  

This has been mentioned a couple times, but I'm not sure how feasible it is. Neuvirth would have to consent to be sent to the ECHL. 

The bothersome thing about Neuvirth is that he's generally the best option out of the goalies when healthy. He's just never healthy. 

Archived