The "Crow or Gripe" About Your All Star Team Thread: 2018-19

pilldoc

Pick a date for the Draft  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What day works best for you for the HF.net ALL STAR FHL Draft?

• Saturday, September 29th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Saturday, September 29th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 2:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 4:00 pm EST
    • Sunday, September 30th @ 6:00 pm EST
    • I'm Flexible for any date or time

This poll is closed to new votes

I went goalie heavy to start the draft, Hellboy followed by Quick, theh Karlsson and Giroux in the next two rounds. I was lucky with my draft position, I was number 7, I LOVE being in the middle of the draft, @pilldoc drafting 12 sits forever waiting on it to come back to you. 

As usual, @J0e Th0rnton picked players I wanted one spot ahead of me, lol. I am so used to it now that I no longer bang my keyboard and say words that my grandkids only hear from my mouth on a draft day. I did get some satisfaction over seeing him cuss when I drafted Schneider late, he fell off the radar of everyone and I actually drafted him a couple of rounds later than I felt was safe.

My best pick might have been Monahan in the 5th round, my worst may have been Brown who is hurt and out indefinitely, I planned on stashing him on IR because there is still plenty of talent left but then I saw that waivers are required until October 2nd so I hope I get the player I am eyeballing. I may have went too heavy at center as I have five guys who only qualify there and Giroux/Foligno as well who qualify at wing but that is how I roll.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Lol no. It did okay with centers.

Okay with centers. Seguin, Tavares and Scheifele. That is like saying that Custer faced a lot of Indians, lol. 

25 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Okay with centers. Seguin, Tavares and Scheifele. That is like saying that Custer faced a lot of Indians, lol. 

Lol, yeah. 

I found out early last year that this isn't really a center's league. I'd be ecstatic in NAHANA.  It's still good, though. 

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Lol, yeah. 

I found out early last year that this isn't really a center's league. I'd be ecstatic in NAHANA.  It's still good, though. 

I would beg to differ that it could be a center league, just the right ones, you need ones who do more than score, Seguin is an absolute animal in this league with his 300 plus shots and 800 faceoffs. I try to avoid hollow scorers in this league, guys who score 60 points but contribute nothing else. All three of your big boys and even Staal bring more to the table. You are absolutely stacked down the middle. 

54 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I LOVE being in the middle of the draft, @pilldoc drafting 12 sits forever waiting on it to come back to you. 

This is like the 3rd or 4th year in a row now that I have picked either 11th or 12th.  So frustrating sitting there seeing your draft list list get blown to shreds.  I'm with you .... I'd rather pick 6th or 7th.  Oh well... I did the best I could.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

This is like the 3rd or 4th year in a row now that I have picked either 11th or 12th.  So frustrating sitting there seeing your draft list list get blown to shreds.  I'm with you .... I'd rather pick 6th or 7th.  Oh well... I did the best I could.

You had a great draft, it is just that 20 picks between picks that absolutely gets frustrating. I always hold my breath and hope I wind up in the middle. Last year I was 5th, this year 7th, I think the year before I was second and got Crosby and traded him right out of the gate to fill holes from a lousy draft which is an advantage of drafting high I guess.

First all star deal of the year, to everyones shock and amazement it is between the Foil and Rux.

Rux gets:

Hellboy

Brown

Koivu

Foil gets

Seguin

Keller

Domi

I almost took Seguin over Hellboy at 7 and I have been debating on the merits of it ever since, I felt my offense came up a bit short and needed a boost. Keller and Domi both are multi position qualified which is what I shoot for with my depth guys, Koivu still gets faceoffs but his offense is down and Brown had a career year and is out with a broken finger indefinitely. I got the b 12 shot to my offense, Rux got the guy who in my opinion should have won the Vezina last year.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

You had a great draft, it is just that 20 picks between picks that absolutely gets frustrating. I always hold my breath and hope I wind up in the middle. Last year I was 5th, this year 7th, I think the year before I was second and got Crosby and traded him right out of the gate to fill holes from a lousy draft which is an advantage of drafting high I guess.

thanks for the vote of confidence ....  I agree it is the 20 picks in between that is I am just in a state of flux.  My only regret is that I was unable to get a lot of players with dual eligibility. :(  

1. (12)Frederik Andersen (G) - top line goalie

2. (13)Steven Stamkos (C) - top line center

3. (36)Taylor Hall (LW) - was surprised to see Hall still there. top line LW

4. (37)Roberto Luongo (G) - one of the last starting goalies, if he stays healthy could be a boost for a good Florida team

5. (60)John Klingberg (D) - definitely surprised to see an offensive D-man still available, drafted him no questions asked

6. (61)Brock Boeser (RW) - a pre-draft target.  glad he was available.  young kid should put up some good numbers

7. (84)Mitchell Marner (RW) -another pre-draft target.  did not have to tell me twice to draft. playing along side of Tavres :) 

8. (85)Semyon Varlamov (G) - took a 3rd goalie here.  Who knows what will happen in Colorado?

9. (108)Tyson Barrie (D) - Absolutely shocked Barrie still here. Offensive type D-man. 

10. (109)Pierre-Luc Dubois (C,LW) - another pre-draft target. FOW and top line minutes.  Beat @J0e Th0rnton to him. :) 

11. (132)Reilly Smith (LW,RW) - lets see if last years magic still occurs.

12. (133)Alexander Edler (D) - D-man who gets lots of BS and Hits. 

13. (156)Derek Stepan (C) - needed more FOW and got my man here.  Praying the Yotes improve this year

14. (157)Sam Reinhart (C,RW) - More FOW and playing with  Eichel.  I have him NAHANA.  Looking for more improvement.

15. (180)Bo Horvat (C) - YES! Playing with Boeser and will get a ton of FOW.  Shocked he was still here.

16. (181)Alec Martinez (D) - Another D-man for Hits / BS

17. (204)Ryan Pulock (D) - See Martinez above

18. (205)Anthony Mantha (LW,RW)  - Top line winger with Larkin.  We will see what happens here.

19. (228)James Reimer (G) - just because I have Luongo and nobody else noticed :) 

20. (229)Jake DeBrusk (LW) - best player available?? will be the first to go if someone else catches my eye.

Anyway that is my rationale for each pick.  Hopefully they pan out... if not then back to the waiver wire I go.  Overall I would rate myself a B-.  I could use one more stud center and a couple more dual eligibility type players.

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Lol, yeah. 

Keep in mind we changed the 5th D spot to a utility spot this year, so you CAN run 5-6 centers as long as their days do not overlap since you have 4 center slots.

I drafted a bit different than previous years. Last year I went straight Peripherals and altered a bit to add scorers midway through the year. Originally I went "The hell with scoring", but then my goalies brainfarted a lot last year and I just barely made that last playoff spot to win it all.

This year I went 3 starter goalies as usual, and DID take some peripheral heavy players, but I did so also thinking some about scoring.

#1 Vasi was a no brainer for me.

#2 Dubnyk was also the best heavy workload goalie left

#3 Burns was for that absurd SOG ratio and expected jump in PPP.

#4 Trocheck was for that well rounded guy who eats FOW, hits and scores goals and assists and PPP very well

#5 O'Reilly the faceoff king who now plays for the blues and is being put with Tarasenko

#6 Smith. I figured he would last till 7 in a 12 team league.

#7 Evander Kane. Takes stupid penalties, shoots a ton and hits a ton.

#8 Hertl. Not Sharks homerism. He is Couture's LW, but takes all the faceoffs for that line, has triple eligibility and broke out towards the end of last year and into the playoffs. Blocks a lot of shots for a forward.

#9 Ristolainen. Takes dumb penalties, gets a lot of PPP(he will still be the RHS to Dahlin's lefty) hits a lot and blocks a decent amount

#10 Provorov. Exceptionally well rounded at D. 40 points + hits and blocks and 200+ shots

#11 Zibanejad. Was killer for PPP last year and PPG. His injury and Shattenkirk getting hurt was a letdown

#12 Hoffman. Shoots a ton and is not playing with either Trocheck or Barkov

#13 Shattenkirk. him and Zibby were gross on that PP before his leg injury became apparent. Most of his points came from the first 20 games and then he could barely skate

#14 Atkinson. Shoots a lot, scores goals

#15 Hischier. I think a breakout is in order here. He had 50 points last year almost all at even strength. Now he gets that PP and Hall all year. Also remarkably good on the FOW dot this preseason

#16 Palmieri. Goals, PPG, shots, hits, blocks. Missed 20 games last year so his numbers fell lower on the list

#17 Carter. Kings fans say he looks fast, normal and is playing with Kovalchuk. Another injury hidden player

#18 Brady Tkachuk. Well, he is starting with Duchene on the first line and looks similarly ill tempered to his brother Matt

#19 Shae Weber. Stocking him on IR till his Xmas return. In this format he tends to be a top Dman. points, PPP, hits, blocks, SOG

#20 Vlasic. Slightly homer pick. Paired with karlsson he might get an uptick in points. Blocks a lot of shots and had a career high SOG lasy year. more likely he is a streamer for me

Overall, I placed most emphasis on the usual FOW, SOG and still gave moderate attention to hits and blocks. instead of the 0 attention I gave last year to PPP and goals, I gave them a fair shake and added some guys I think will have breakout years.

Overall I like my team. Trade block is always open to reasonable offers lol

12 hours ago, yave1964 said:

First all star deal of the year, to everyones shock and amazement it is between the Foil and Rux.

Rux gets:

Hellboy

Brown

Koivu

Foil gets

Seguin

Keller

Domi

At first glance, it almost looks like The Foil wins this trade easily...I mean, Seguin the elite center that Koivu is NOT...Keller and Domi, two young up n comers with lots to prove... Keller in particular may surprise on an Arizona team that while still may struggle on defense, may be sneaky good on offense... and Domi will be on a bad Montreal team but he looks to stand out (for both good reasons and bad) and could be a nice pickup for PIMs, hits, and SOG with some scoring chipped in.

Rux gets Dustin Brown, a pretty good multi-cat player.....who unfortunately is out indefinitely with busted fingers.
So yea, it all looks Foil's way.....ahhh, but then we see Rux getting what COULD be a Vezina candidate yet again this season in Connor Hellebuyck!

I was trying to get Hellboy myself with my first or second round pick but was Foiled (yes, pun intended, dammit 😼 ), so at the end of the day, Rux still gets value for the players he gave up, and, getting back to Koivu, while certainly not a Seguin equal, he still provides FOW, could be good for assists, and is still expected to man at least the second line in Minnesota, while putting in substantial time on the PP units. He is also usually good for being on the positive side of the +/- ledger.

Brown? If Rux can maintain patience and keep him stashed, he could very well have an awesome player for his stretch drive later in the year.

So first glance looks Foils way, but when closely examined, turns out about even. 
Main event here is obviously Seguin/Hellyboy, and in that regard, both sides did well.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

At first glance, it almost looks like The Foil wins this trade easily...I mean, Seguin the elite center that Koivu is NOT...Keller and Domi, two young up n comers with lots to prove... Keller in particular may surprise on an Arizona team that while still may struggle on defense, may be sneaky good on offense... and Domi will be on a bad Montreal team but he looks to stand out (for both good reasons and bad) and could be a nice pickup for PIMs, hits, and SOG with some scoring chipped in.

Rux gets Dustin Brown, a pretty good multi-cat player.....who unfortunately is out indefinitely with busted fingers.
So yea, it all looks Foil's way.....ahhh, but then we see Rux getting what COULD be a Vezina candidate yet again this season in Connor Hellebuyck!

I was trying to get Hellboy myself with my first or second round pick but was Foiled (yes, pun intended, dammit 😼 ), so at the end of the day, Rux still gets value for the players he gave up, and, getting back to Koivu, while certainly not a Seguin equal, he still provides FOW, could be good for assists, and is still expected to man at least the second line in Minnesota, while putting in substantial time on the PP units. He is also usually good for being on the positive side of the +/- ledger.

Brown? If Rux can maintain patience and keep him stashed, he could very well have an awesome player for his stretch drive later in the year.

So first glance looks Foils way, but when closely examined, turns out about even. 
Main event here is obviously Seguin/Hellyboy, and in that regard, both sides did well.

Yeah, I think objectively, edge to yave on this one. But I got who I wanted (Hellboy), so I'm okay with it. He was my first choice for goalie going in. Not getting him in the draft was NOT an autodraft thing. He went before I would have picked. 

Giving up Seguin hurt. I'm a big fan, particularly in fantasy. And he might actually be more valuable in this format than in NAHANA.  He lost his dual eligibility, which hurts slightly in especially the other league, but still very valuable. I was pleasantly surprised with how well I made out at center autodrafting, Seguin in particular. But having only two goalies and one of them being Mrazek...yeah, had to do something.  Go big or go home, right? 

It's the rest of the packages where yave made out. Your post actually made me feel better about it.  I'm not a fan of Koivu or Brown, but you're right that maybe there's more potential with Brown than I gave credit for. 

I didn't blink at Domi. I could end up regretting it, but I'm honestly not expecting much. In a keeper league I may have considered him differently, but he'll very much be a down-roster "oh yeah, I have him too" kind of fantasy piece. 

Keller hurt a little more because I view him as a much better piece than what came back.  But I'm also not sure he repeats last year's production. I'd bet on him before betting against, but I have doubts. 

All in all, edge to yave. But I ended up with a decent dion of Holtby and Hellebuyck, and in separate conferences. So, I'm happy with it. 

17 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

"If Rux can be patient."

It's almost like you don't know me at all!  Are you new here? 

LOL
Sorry....I thought perhaps it was a "New Day in HF.net Land"

I mean, that's what they fed to the Bucs fans in Tampa for so many years... "It's a NEW day in Tampa Bay"....before the team promptly fell back into old habits..... :bigteeth:

Hey @pilldoc

I already wrote this on the league message board, but thought I'd write here. 

I'm not sure because I don't understand the implications of the terminology well enough, but I may have stumbled on what is the issue of why we can't add to replace someone placed on IR. 

Everyone is listed as on waiver. Next to "post draft players," it says "follow waiver rules". (NAHANA has "free agent"). 

Is the the issue? If so, is that a setting that can be changed at this late point? 

I want to add as well, but Iif that's it and can be changed, I'll wait until after bak makes his add. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Hey @pilldoc

I'm not sure because I don't understand the implications of the terminology well enough, but I may have stumbled on what is the issue of why we can't add to replace someone placed on IR. 

Everyone is listed as on waiver. Next to "post draft players," it says "follow waiver rules". (NAHANA has "free agent"). 

Is the the issue? If so, is that a setting that can be changed at this late point? 

I want to add as well, but Iif that's it and can be changed, I'll wait until after bak makes his add. 

I used my waiver position to put Weber on IR and grab Donato. I guess I could have waited until tomorrow to not give up my waiver position of 7 or whatever it was and drop to 12th(Or 10th or whatever since Yave and a few others made moves). But I am not sure anyone else was going to pick up a random bruins forward like Donato

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Hey @pilldoc

Funny you mentioned that Rux.  I changed no settings from last year except changing one D-man to a Utility.  I can take a look.

23 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Funny you mentioned that Rux.  I changed no settings from last year except changing one D-man to a Utility.  I can take a look.

It does seem to be an Android mobile app thing.   It's really weird because I think I added to replace IR on my phone in the other league, but I cannot swear to it.  I have this nagging feeling I did it on the PC.

39 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Jeebus...
2 goals given up on 3 shots by Rask, and his GAA is a cool 67.29 😳

Wow...that's even higher than the Phillie reflief pitchers' ERAs.

Archived