Your Wild lines?

Fargocase

I think it's pretty clear the Wild is missing a true Top 2 Line offensive Center.   Give Mikko 15 mins a night with Nino and Coyle on the Wings or one of the young guys, EEk or Greenway, and just leave them alone to play responsible defensively, grind and bang, and I think you'd have a very good 3rd Line.  The problem is the huge hole at #2 Center.  By default we're stuck with Mikko.  He used to be a substandard #1 Center, now he's a substandard #2 Center!  Wouldn't it be wonderful to see him in the correct role for a change?!

It's getting tougher and tougher to deny Coyle and Nino are nothing more than good 3rd Liners.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

I think it's pretty clear the Wild is missing a true Top 2 Line offensive Center.   Give Mikko 15 mins a night with Nino and Coyle on the Wings or one of the young guys, EEk or Greenway, and just leave them alone to play responsible defensively, grind and bang, and I think you'd have a very good 3rd Line.  The problem is the huge hole at #2 Center.  By default we're stuck with Mikko.  He used to be a substandard #1 Center, now he's a substandard #2 Center!  Wouldn't it be wonderful to see him in the correct role for a change?!

It's getting tougher and tougher to deny Coyle and Nino are nothing more than good 3rd Liners.

Agree,  The Wild need a speed line.  And they will have to acquire this via the draft.  Missing the players next spring would be the best thing for the franchise.

7 hours ago, hf101 said:

Agree,  The Wild need a speed line.  And they will have to acquire this via the draft.  Missing the players next spring would be the best thing for the franchise.

Zucker is a speedy player. We just need more speedy players.

16 hours ago, Fargocase said:

The problem is the huge hole at #2 Center.  By default we're stuck with Mikko.  He used to be a substandard #1 Center, now he's a substandard #2 Center!  Wouldn't it be wonderful to see him in the correct role for a change?!

Mikko had an excellent game against Nash.  Not because he got an easy goal but because he won a lot of very key face-offs, was involved offensively and escellent defensively.   I am far from a Mikko fan, but I'm not such a hater I can admit he had a very good game.  Hope there's more!   With MiG and Parise, there might be.

I'm writing off Nino.  He's clueless out there.

I hope BB figures it out and leaves Coyle with Big E. and Zooker.

13 hours ago, Fargocase said:

Mikko had an excellent game against Nash.  Not because he got an easy goal but because he won a lot of very key face-offs, was involved offensively and escellent defensively.   I am far from a Mikko fan, but I'm not such a hater I can admit he had a very good game.  Hope there's more!   With MiG and Parise, there might be.

I'm writing off Nino.  He's clueless out there.

I hope BB figures it out and leaves Coyle with Big E. and Zooker.

Agree with all that. Now do we put EEK with Greenway and Nino, or do we move a more experienced center between EEk andGreenway.

Do they try to highlight Nino to shop him around for a center, or do you 4th line him until he pulls his head out and starts using his size.

I say move EEk back to Center and keep Greenway on the wing.  Nino the other forward.

I'd shop Nino.  I didn't watch the games but reports were he had a great World Chamionship tournament. He has positive attributes.  I can't believe there's no interest in him around the league.  

If Ek and Hendricks remain sidelined I suspect we'll see Kyle Rau get the call. He's a center and speedy and can likely slip through waivers when he gets sent down. Bemidji State University free agent Gerry Fitzgerald leads the Iowa Wild in scoring in early going. Ryan Murphy right there too, so he'll be ready if a defenseman is injured. Detroit took Chad de la Rose from the Canadiens on waivers but I didn't really see anything the Wild mite pluck off the waiver wire (example: Brian Gionta, Islanders).

On 10/15/2018 at 6:16 AM, hf101 said:

The Wild need some faster players.  IMO, that's especially true with their guys up front.  We're just too slow...all throughout the lineup beyond #16.  He's the only guy with wheels that we have.  

Zucker is fast. Parise has jump. Suter is smooth. Brodin has excellent mobility. Stall has tremendous stride and leg drive.

I honestly in person watch a lot of college and junior hockey and follow the Wild and NHL primarily on TV. Guess I would have to attend an open practice and watch players in drills before I could really get an opinion about how "fast" or "slow" the Wild are. Fastest I've witnessed in person was Vladmir Tarasenko at the World U18 championship a number of years ago. And Marion Gaborik, of course, back in the day.

Anecdotally from what I've read or heard is that Dumba and Coyle have pretty good wheels as well.

Would welcome any opinions from someone (possibly who has coached and taught skating, as I have). Seriously. Speed is just one of many elements of skating, but yes, more important than ever today with guys like McDavid and Matthews who can skate and work magic with their hands with amazing quickness. If someone wants to rank the Wild from fastest to slowest player, go for it. Point made, point taken and point seems to be supported by some knowledgeable pundits. The NHL is getting faster and the Wild need to play faster.

I can start:

1. Zucker

2. Dumba

3. Staal

My own list of course, haven't seen any of their practices which would be interesting. But, by just going by game-play and watching them move around...

1. Zucker

2. Spurgeon

3. Dumba

4. Suter (Rarely does he seem to really open it up but defending speedsters from other teams hardly ever get by him.)

5. Coyle

6. Staal

For various reasons I ranked them like that but I do think Dumba edges out Suter; and Coyle edges out Staal. Breaking across the blue-line from a lead pass Coyle seems to get by people quicker than Staal. His initial burst is quicker so I put him above Staal.

Staal is deceptive. More than anyone except maybe Zucker, he's got a knack for getting behind the opponents defense alot for wide open looks.

Not sure if that is speed or just the fact he's a wily veteran--probably both.

Matt Read gets the call so we have:

11 parise 9 Koivu 64 granny

16 zucker 12 staal 18 Greenway

17 foligno. 3 Coyle 22 Nino

24 read 21 fehr 23 brown

20 suter. 24 dumb

25 brodin 46 Spurgeon

36 seeler 29 Pateryn

39 prosser

40 doobs 32 stalock

6 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Matt Read gets the call so we have:

11 parise 9 Koivu 64 granny

16 zucker 12 staal 18 Greenway

17 foligno. 3 Coyle 22 Nino

24 read 21 fehr 23 brown

20 suter. 24 dumb

25 brodin 46 Spurgeon

36 seeler 29 Pateryn

39 prosser

40 doobs 32 stalock

Be surprised if they put two of their three RH forwards (23 & 24) on the same line

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, Icechipper said:

If someone wants to rank the Wild from fastest to slowest player, go for it. Point made, point taken and point seems to be supported by some knowledgeable pundits. The NHL is getting faster and the Wild need to play faster.

I can start:

1. Zucker

2. Dumba

3. Staal

Seriously?  You think Big E. Staal is fast? 

Amongst the Forwards, I agree that Zooker is the only truly FAST player.   Parise and MiG both have great quickness, but not the blazing, ass-on-fire speed.  Give them enough time and I suspect Nino and Coyle are straight line fast,  but too long to get up to speed.   Mikko and Big E. are flat out slow.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, puck_hawg said:

I would like to see Greenway-EEK-Coyle, and left together for a several games. 

Bingo!   EEk getting hurt messed this up but from here on out let them play!

On 10/18/2018 at 10:48 AM, Hockey-78 said:

As always I like to see Granny and Zucker together. Zucker's speed gives Granny more options to distribute the puck and they've had chemistry in the past.

I always like when Koivu and Granlund aren't on the same line. It gives the team two lines with puck distributors.

1 hour ago, rottenrefs said:

I always like when Koivu and Granlund aren't on the same line. It gives the team two lines with puck distributors.

Couldn't agree more. Put MG with Zucker and Coyle--probably the fastest line you could piece together on the current roster--Maybe force Coyle to get his $hit together--never mind.

Right now I wouldn't change a thing. Keep the 12-16-64 together !! . Do what you want with the rest if need be.

Goals are coming from all over the place and the guys seem to know where and what their line mates are doing.

Suddenly there's chemistry.

The D pairings are nicely balanced too.

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

Right now I wouldn't change a thing. Keep the 12-16-64 together !! . Do what you want with the rest if need be.

Goals are coming from all over the place and the guys seem to know where and what their line mates are doing.

Suddenly there's chemistry.

The D pairings are nicely balanced too.

Right. If it's not broke don't fix it.

5 hours ago, rottenrefs said:

That too.

But although Granny is not lightning fast, Koivu is too slow for him. G-K-Z line worked nicely two seasons ago but already then I felt Koivu handcuffed both of his linemates. If we'd only had a guy with speed between them. In another thread I toyed with the idea we'd go after Nylander and place him between Granny and Zucker. I guess in the long run, especially in the playoffs, it wouldn't work.

4 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

That too.

But although Granny is not lightning fast, Koivu is too slow for him. G-K-Z line worked nicely two seasons ago but already then I felt Koivu handcuffed both of his linemates. If we'd only had a guy with speed between them. In another thread I toyed with the idea we'd go after Nylander and place him between Granny and Zucker. I guess in the long run, especially in the playoffs, it wouldn't work.

Back when I hoped to see Zucker - Haula - Granlund when they moved Granny to right wing. They could have spent a long time together.

1 minute ago, rottenrefs said:

Back when I hoped to see Zucker - Haula - Granlund when they moved Granny to right wing. They could have spent a long time together.

I guess no one ever gave that combo a chance...? I don't remember. Yeah, Haula it seems could've done wonders there.

Archived