Game 12: Flyers at Ducks, 10/30 @10

Howie58

2 hours ago, vis said:

Hopefully John Stevens isn't on his list of "soon-to-be-available" coaches.  Wonder if Mike Yeo makes it.

I hope not. I’ve had enough cake for a lifetime. 

2 hours ago, vis said:

His W/L record may suggest so.  I don't know how he would fair with youth and without having a goalie like Lundqvist in net.  He seems to be a vet-friendly coach.

Which is kind of yucky, imo.

I have heard he’s a vet friendly coach. But when are we at the point of needing one of those? All our guys except Sanheim and Lindblom, I’d consider vets. 

2 hours ago, vis said:

Maybe they keep Hakstol in order to lose for Hughes?

Getting Hughes would be a coup, but this group is too talented to be in the basement all year. 

3 hours ago, brelic said:

I hope not. I’ve had enough cake for a lifetime. 

I have heard he’s a vet friendly coach. But when are we at the point of needing one of those? All our guys except Sanheim and Lindblom, I’d consider vets. 

Getting Hughes would be a coup, but this group is too talented to be in the basement all year. 

They would just get the 2nd overall pick again.

#onlyaflyerfanbitchesabout2ndoverallpick

Anaheim is a bad hockey team right now, but I thought the Flyers played pretty well overall.  Still some sloppiness in their game that might cost them against a better team.  Enjoyed seeing some feistiness and emotional investment in the game.  Thought Provorov , Simmonds, Patrick and Aube-Kubel had strong games.  Elliott was pretty solid after the first period.  Konecny was agitating,.  The Ducks' team defense might be worse than ours.  Up next are they Kings who are struggling as well...

I only watched the highlights - I'll watch the full game tonight - but on the Ducks 2nd goal, the Flyers defense let that guy screen Elliot.   This is the 2nd or 3rd time in as many games that the Flyers defense just lets that happen.    I'm hoping that this isn't a mandaite from coaching to let that happen - like "it's less of a screen to have one guy there then two" or something like that....   Defense needs to clear the porch there.  Or at least knock that guy around a bit to make him uncomfortable so next time he might not want to.  

Adding to the list of problems that need to be addressed:  All-around team toughness but more specifically, crease-clearing defensemen.  Paging Morin....Sam Morin your time is now.    And if Sam isn't the guy, Hextall and/or Hak needs to address this.    Remember the days of Pronger when those opponents standing there would be sore after?   Flyers need that again.

Aube-Kubel played 5 minutes and change, and had the most hits (4) among forwards, second only to Gudas overall. 

I saw two periods, and thought he looked good in the one or two shifts I actually saw him on the ice. 

Howdy!  I stayed awake and was rewarded with a win that showed team effort:

1)  Elliott made key saves;

2)  The team actually seemed engaged;

3) Team defense was OK;

4)  The PP and PK functioned for the most part.

This was against a bad team but a win is a win.  Aube-Kubel seemed functional.  Weal skates well but is on a dumb penalty rampage...his late third period trip resulted in a tying goal.  

Tomorrow is another challenge against a poor performer.  We woke up against the West last year. Will history repeat itself?

By the way...Patrick's goal on the feed from Lindlblom was nice....those two showed skill and pep.  Patrick's smile after the goal was priceless...like a kid in the candy store . 

47 minutes ago, brelic said:

Aube-Kubel played 5 minutes and change, and had the most hits (4) among forwards, second only to Gudas overall. 

I saw two periods, and thought he looked good in the one or two shifts I actually saw him on the ice. 

Yes, he didn't play much but he was noticeable when he did.  Had a nice hit in the third period as well.

Plan the parade!!!!!!   

We beat a team that is going through worse issues than us!   Woot....

In all seriousness it was nice to see a net front presence last night.  They FINALLY got into the tough areas and were rewarded.   Still a lot of work to do but a win is a win.   Also, why call up a kid when you are going to play him for a little more than 5 minutes?  

10 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

We beat a team that is going through worse issues than us!   Woot....

This is fair.  And LA is a bit of a mess as well.

In all seriousness it was nice to see a net front presence last night.  They FINALLY got into the tough areas and were rewarded. 

Yes, they did a good job of getting to the net.  Would like to see a shot heat map if anyone has it handy...

That said, Anaheim's defense is atrocious.  There wasn't a Duck anywhere near Patrick on the game winner.  It was Flyers-esque.

Also, why call up a kid when you are going to play him for a little more than 5 minutes?  

I'm not that bothered by this.  Let's face it: he was brought up to mix things up a little, not to take meaningful ice time away from anyone.  Plus, it was a tight game on the road.  If they were playing poorly and everyone but him looked lackluster, I would agree with the lack of ice time.

Just want to point out the "highlights"/ recap video was 4 minutes long. Not a lot of "highlights" coming from that game.

Though my favorite was in the first period when Getzlaf hits TK high and TK gives him a little something for the shin pad, Getzlaf grabs 11 and lifts him up as if to say "really punk ? ", when he let's go TK gives him another slash...that was freakin' awesome.

Also, I appreciated Patrick barking at Kessler after scoring the game-winner...Especially after Kessler gave him that little chop on the faceoff.  these young guys, they find some consistency, this team will be alright. 

Archived