Game 21: Flyers at Sabres 11/21/18 7:30 pm

OccamsRazor

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You are going to go back 8 years?  Seriously?  And what has that to do with this current Flyer team?  How many of these bums were on that team?

Relax HJ. You made a statement and it was refuted. Flyers were in the 2010 SCF. Yeah so it was 8 yrs ago.... big deal.

Oh and to answer your other question... both JVR and Giroux were part of that team..... Should have gone to game 7 if high and wide Carter doesn’t miss a wide open net...

11 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You are going to go back 8 years?  Seriously?  And what has that to do with this current Flyer team?  How many of these bums were on that team?

If you read the post, you have the answer to what this has to do with this current Flyers team.  It's everything to do with this current Flyers' team.

To your point, though, I completely agree that 8 years ago should NOT be directly connected to what is wrong with this current team if it had remotely competent management.  It does not.  It's kind of like how the Von Hayes trade set the Phillies back nearly a decade.  Because the move was horrific in itself but exacerbated by the fact management had an astounding inability to figure out how to correct it.   Same with the Flyers.

I'm optimistic, though, because in five years, I'm fairly confident that the Flyers will finally be able to come up with a promising five-year plan.

Good year to be a Sabres' fan.  Don't worry, I won't kill your team by cheering for them.

27 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Relax HJ. You made a statement and it was refuted. Flyers were in the 2010 SCF. Yeah so it was 8 yrs ago.... big deal.

Oh and to answer your other question... both JVR and Giroux were part of that team..... Should have gone to game 7 if high and wide Carter doesn’t miss a wide open net...

I remember when Kane scored the winner.  It was very tough to see the puck go in

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The point is they traded the core of that team for Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek, and the pick that became Couturier.

And that core has three rounds of playoffs in the Last six years

Thanks for playing.

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

The point is they traded the core of that team for Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek, and the pick that became Couturier.

And that core has three rounds of playoffs in the Last six years

Thanks for playing.

Those players are all very good.  Gireux and Voracek are great.  Obviously something is missing on defense and in the nets.  

24 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

2010 team was heavy in character and leadership. Timonen, Pronger, Richards, Hartnell, Briere, Betts, Laviolette. The current team has NONE. NADA. ZIPPO.

They don't even have characters. For God's sake, will one of our players at least lick one of their opponents? So you get suspended....

5 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Those players are all very good.  Gireux and Voracek are great.  Obviously something is missing on defense and in the nets.  

I'll speak slowly so you can comprehend:

Paul Holmgren is Philadelphia's Darcy Reiger.

On 11/22/2018 at 11:45 AM, Howie58 said:

But coaching aside, you are questioning the drafts.  That really says what at least some of us think; patience really hasn't been a virtue.  If our picks aren't really that good--coaching may not mean a lot.

Kind of worrying about the draft picks, but that was more directed at the coaching and development strategy.  It’s hard to put my finger on.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:45 PM, brelic said:

I get that every player is different - but is it really that all those guys are better? Or that there's something in the organization right now that is preventing these guys from blossoming?

Really not sure.  Even Sanheim is not quite yet the offensive player we thought he’d be coming out of junior.  To be fair, he’s been a better overall player this year.  He looks more confident and comfortable out there.  

Look at TK and Hagg.  I think these guys have been our better players at various points.  And what has the coach done from time to time?  Although better this year, coach had a knack for bouncing TK throughout the lineup and benching him in some instances.  And Hagg inexplicably was scratched quite a bit toward the end of last year.  

Cannot figure out out what’s up with Provorov or Ghost this year.  They are talents, no doubt, so I don’t worry about them long term.  But something hasn’t been right this year and they need to figure it out sooner rather than later.  

Patrick.  Not sure what to say.  He’s had bright moments, but not nearly enough.  He gets a pass last year because of the injury recovery, but I was hoping for more this year.  Skating is better, but it’s not on par with the other guys mentioned in your post.  I also don’t know that he is as skilled as the other guys.  At least I haven’t seen it at this level.  

3 hours ago, vis said:

Really not sure.  Even Sanheim is not quite yet the offensive player we thought he’d be coming out of junior.  To be fair, he’s been a better overall player this year.  He looks more confident and comfortable out there.  

Look at TK and Hagg.  I think these guys have been our better players at various points.  And what has the coach done from time to time?  Although better this year, coach had a knack for bouncing TK throughout the lineup and benching him in some instances.  And Hagg inexplicably was scratched quite a bit toward the end of last year.  

Cannot figure out out what’s up with Provorov or Ghost this year.  They are talents, no doubt, so I don’t worry about them long term.  But something hasn’t been right this year and they need to figure it out sooner rather than later.  

Patrick.  Not sure what to say.  He’s had bright moments, but not nearly enough.  He gets a pass last year because of the injury recovery, but I was hoping for more this year.  Skating is better, but it’s not on par with the other guys mentioned in your post.  I also don’t know that he is as skilled as the other guys.  At least I haven’t seen it at this level.  

I'm going to go with sophomore slump with Patrick.  You typically need a better rookie campaign than he had for that, but I'm going with that anyway.  That and the thought that neither he nor Hischier would have been top 10 in this past summer's draft.  

The other problem with Patrick is the problem all of the centers are having:  they're being used wrong. 

It's actually the same root cause that is hampering Provorov and Ghost:  goaltending and the coach's response to it.  Both of the dmen (and Sanheim and others as well) look like they have a crisis of confidence.  It started out as lack of confidence in the goalie. But when every wrong turn you make, every broken coverage, every flubbed pass, etc., ends up in your net, you start playing timid and deliberate, which actually increases the likelihood of turning the wrong way, broken coverage, etc.  Which ends up in your net, and the cycle increases speed. 

They're not getting the offense they're used to either because they're not pinching as much. They're firing their point shot and bailing to center ice.  It's the urge to drop into nickel defense due to lack of confidence. Even there, what started out as lack of confidence in the goalie has morphed into both that and lack of confidence in ability to not get beat. 

And I don't think Hakstol can coach them out of it at this point because he seems to very likely be suffering from nearly exactly the same thing.  The utter incompetence in the crease really is causing a lot more damage than we give it credit. It's also exacerbating the results of other flaws (like lack of ability or care to get a 3C or improve the PK). 

We really have no hope until the goaltending is fixed. 

Archived