Late Game Heroics by Matthews Against Buffalo!

WordsOfWisdom

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

A beautiful OT win vs the red hot Sabres.  :)

Do the Leafs now possess the NHL's best forward?  

A nice shot though some goalie might have saved it.

I take this as a rhetorical question, debatable. Matthews, when healthy, no doubt will be a superstar in this league for the next decade. But the best? There just are so many to choose from, wouldn't hand it to him just yet.

4 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

A beautiful OT win vs the red hot Sabres.  :)

Do the Leafs now possess the NHL's best forward?  

Great player...but watch what McDavid does on a team devoid of talent. I'm pretty sure McDavid could put up a lot more points playing with the talent the Leafs have...and Mathews would fair slightly less on the Oil vortex.

You could argue he's #2 though.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Great player...but watch what McDavid does on a team devoid of talent. I'm pretty sure McDavid could put up a lot more points playing with the talent the Leafs have...and Mathews would fair slightly less on the Oil vortex.

You could argue he's #2 though.

No way is he better than Eichel.  Ill take Eichel in the long run.  They are only in their second years.  Toronto as a team are ahead of the Sabres in building.  But the Sabres have closed the gap big time.  In one year. By next year it could be Buffalo that is the best in the conference and this year they are certainly contenders.  Do not forget that we not only had our backup goalie in, but we got in late from a tough battle in Nashville the night before.  Advantage Leafs.

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

No way is he better than Eichel.  Ill take Eichel in the long run.  They are only in their second years.  Toronto as a team are ahead of the Sabres in building.  But the Sabres have closed the gap big time.  In one year. By next year it could be Buffalo that is the best in the conference and this year they are certainly contenders.  Do not forget that we not only had our backup goalie in, but we got in late from a tough battle in Nashville the night before.  Advantage Leafs.

No way? Ya, there's a way.

Eichel is actually in his 4th year, not 2nd. Mathews in his 3rd.

They are both very skilled players. Mathews is averaging slightly better ppg while being the younger of the two.

Then there's the fact he isn't the whiner that Eichel has shown to be..

Plus Mathews doesn't win the Ronald McDonald look alike contest. 

None of these factors have anything to do with the one game last night, or anything about backup goalies or back to back games.

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Who is this Eichel chap that you speak of?  Never heard of him.  ;)

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Eichel is actually in his 4th year, not 2nd. Mathews in his 3rd.

They are both very skilled players. Mathews is averaging slightly better ppg while being the younger of the two.

Then there's the fact he isn't the whiner that Eichel has shown to be..

Plus Mathews doesn't win the Ronald McDonald look alike contest. 

None of these factors have anything to do with the one game last night, or anything about backup goalies or back to back games.

Jack Eichel is a better skater and stick handler and can shoot the puck just as well.  Ill take Eichel any day

PS, you must remember that Matthews is playing for a more developed unit.   Give the Sabres time and Eichel time to play with the right linemates.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

HAHA i knew this was going to be an Eichel post before i had even scrolled down and seen before i posted above. Too funny.

Even Mcdavid has an Eichel poster on his wall...

:ph34r:

Archived