Game 30: Flyers at Oilers: 14/14/18 @ 9

Howie58

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Oh yeah that makes me feel better.

I didn't know all that about Eakin. Certainly a strange cat. But why does he care what the sportswriters eat? 

My guess what that it was his way of taking control of the room and putting his stamp on things; that everybody knew this was HIS place. In the locker room, he took down pictures from the Cup winning days, and put an end to some of the old timers coming by to visit.

Again, he's forgotten more about coaching than I'll ever know. I've never coached a minute in my life, so I won't pretend to know more. That said, there was a certain arrogance the way he went about things. When he said things like "I don't know why other coaches haven't tried the things I'm going to do" I cringed.

He literally a playbook the size of an NFL offensive coach that he wanted the players to memorize, and they didn't know whether they were coming or going.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Again, he's forgotten more about coaching than I'll ever know. I've never coached a minute in my life, so I won't pretend to know more.

He literally a playbook the size of an NFL offensive coach that he wanted the players to memorize, and they didn't know whether they were coming or going.

Same. But yeah the whole playbook thing baffles me. Hockey is not a set play sport with the important exception of faceoffs.

I don't see how that type of approach teaches young players how to better support the puck, for example. 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They are horrible 5 on 5.

That's not true. 5 on 5 they're actually not bad. Middle of the pack in goals for %, scoring chances, etc. Sure, they could be better, but 5 on 5 isn't the glaring problem it has been in previous years. Let's put it this way: they've scored as many 5v5 goals as Winnipeg, and given up one more.

Their special teams are burying them.

54 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

That's not true. 5 on 5 they're actually not bad. Middle of the pack in goals for %, scoring chances, etc. Sure, they could be better, but 5 on 5 isn't the glaring problem it has been in previous years. Let's put it this way: they've scored as many 5v5 goals as Winnipeg, and given up one more.

Their special teams are burying them.

Yet Knoblauch still has a job. Mind numbing.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

5 on 5 they're actually not bad.

Sure when they are interested....good luck keeping them consistently like that...it feels like this whole group has A.D.D.

It's like they are skating hard trying to get the puck and then they are like "Oh look a bird...."

On 12/15/2018 at 9:49 AM, hf101 said:

Thinking out of the box here to some extent, and with the "Hextall's need for total control", ( insert the spy Murphy) -- maybe the issue with Mullen was less about performance and more about a poor relationship with Hextall or Murphy?

Certainly stands to reason.

Archived