Hart loaned to LHV

brelic

Stolie recalled. 

Things might get interesting. Do they waive McKenna before Monday and call Hart back?

Or roll with three goalies and try and trade one? Or wait to see if Stolie will hold up?

Pretty sure they will waive McKenna before Monday. I was waiting for them to make this move today. Hart has to get some game action before Monday and doesn't have to clear waivers. Stolarz was on his way back two days ago when they reported his equipment being packed up from the Phantoms.  This next week is a tough schedule so I can see Hart and Stolarz splitting games. The  Flyers have to use Stolarz to see what they have. That can't be said for McKenna.  I'm interested to see how Stolie does with team playing a little better in front of him.

2 hours ago, albertaflyer said:

I'm interested to see how Stolie does with team playing a little better in front of him.

I wonder.  Seriously asking.  Are they playing better period, or are they playing better in front of Hart.   I'm wonder if it's the latter whether it translates to playing well in front of Stolie.

He has played well when given the chance, so maybe.

If I'm the Flyers, I'm scared to waive McKenna because even Stolie has shown an inability to stay healthy.   If they waive McKenna and Stolie gets injured, they're right back to trolling the waiver wire for McKenna.  Unless they're going to try to get him through and stash him in LV.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

If I'm the Flyers, I'm scared to waive McKenna because even Stolie has shown an inability to stay healthy.   If they waive McKenna and Stolie gets injured, they're right back to trolling the waiver wire for McKenna

That was my initial thinking too. Perhaps waiving Weise was the preemptive move to exactly this. They knew Stolie was coming back, and want to roll with three goalies as they get a feel for Stolie’s health in NHL action. If he holds, they can waive McKenna or even include him in a trade package as a throw-in. Columbus?

So it seems this was so as to get Hart the game on friday so he stays sharp before returning for sunday's practice with the Flyers players.

And until the Flyers feel Stolie is healthy and ready to perform backup duties McKenna will be kept around and i imagine as soon as they feel secure McKenna will be waived with intentions to back Lyon up in LV.

He could be plucked from there are a few injuries around the NHL however remember if he is claimed he must remain on the NHL for 30 days before he can be sent down for the claiming team.

I doubt anyone is desperate enough ike the Flyers were to claim this guy.

This may be Stolie's last chance to show that he could be a good choice to tandem with Hart next year.

If he doesn't perform well when called upon i would guess his "Flyer" career could be over.

He needs to seize this chance to steal Elliott chance of being brought back next year instead of him.

Guess we'll see how it goes first can he stay healthy.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This may be Stolie's last chance to show that he could be a good choice to tandem with Hart next year.

Imagonna wager that ol' Fletch isn't going to be happy with two young, relatively inexperienced, goalies in a tandem. I'm betting on the "mentoring vet" being sought via trade or FA.

Like you, I hope and pray this isn't Elliott. I might like a Jimmy Howard, but not sure Detroit would let him go (or that he would leave, for that matter).

Wouldn't surprise me if playing Stolarz was a means of showcasing him for a trade for that "mentoring vet" though (or something else).

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

Like you, I hope and pray this isn't Elliott. I might like a Jimmy Howard, but not sure Detroit would let him go (or that he would leave, for that matter).

I don't feel Howard would be much of an improvement really (if any). He's another guy who has seemed very underwhelming to me over the years. Granted, he is exactly the type of goalie we're likely to land if Fletch goes out looking for a "mentor". Teams aren't going to give us anyone decent of course. But if it's between Howard and Elliott, I might just stick with Elliott honestly. It seems mostly a wash anyway.

I feel about the same for the other possibilities that have been bandied around. It's just a bunch of largely interchangeable meh. That said, Hart should be the starter, so really all we need is someone who can play Detroit a few times a year or whatever.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Imagonna wager that ol' Fletch isn't going to be happy with two young, relatively inexperienced, goalies in a tandem. I'm betting on the "mentoring vet" being sought via trade or FA.

Wouldn't surprise me if playing Stolarz was a means of showcasing him for a trade for that "mentoring vet" though (or something else).

Well Stolie is 25 hardly young but I get your point.

However if they went and get a vet he may wait till the offseason.

That way maybe keeping Stolie for the remainder of the year could help **wink wink**

with the tanking effort. Not that they would be doing that, I'm just saying wait it out and try in the offseason.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

I don't feel Howard would be much of an improvement really (if any). He's another guy who has seemed very underwhelming to me over the years. Granted, he is exactly the type of goalie we're likely to land if Fletch goes out looking for a "mentor". Teams aren't going to give us anyone decent of course. But if it's between Howard and Elliott, I might just stick with Elliott honestly. It seems mostly a wash anyway.

I feel about the same for the other possibilities that have been bandied around. It's just a bunch of largely interchangeable meh. That said, Hart should be the starter, so really all we need is someone who can play Detroit a few times a year or whatever.

What you want is a guy with experience (Howard: 461 regular season games over 12 years) who's been fairly reliable (221-151-63, 2.49/.915) who would be comfortable as a backup (see 15-16 and 16-17).

I'm not 1000% in on Howard, but I do think that's kinda what they are looking for/need (and the other options aren't mind blowing).

That said, Elliott has some comparable numbers to Howard, but I see a lot of them dating from his time on a defensive-oriented Hitchcock squad in St. Louis. He hasn't put up anything like those numbers outside of St. Louis.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes... For one thing, it's not like Detroit has a goalie in the wings waiting to take over.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Stolie is 25 hardly young but I get your point.

It's more the sixteen NHL games I'm looking at... And that his past 9 games haven't looked as good as his first seven...

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

However if they went and get a vet he may wait till the offseason.

That way maybe keeping Stolie for the remainder of the year could help **wink wink**

with the tanking effort. Not that they would be doing that, I'm just saying wait it out and try in the offseason.

Yeah, it's more along the lines that "if a deal comes your way" at this point.

But Stolarz is going to have to do better than his current 3.90/.880 this season.

I thought Stolie looked pretty good prior his injury.  The team may play better in front of him post-Hak. 

Two months ago I might have said Elliott stays around next year. I don't see that anymore.  Howard...interesting thought.  Lyon may be a perpetual AHLer, which means he may be out soon to make room for other prospects.  It's funny, last year, he looked better as reliever than starter.

Stolie might actually be trade bait. He's a big dude with pretty good lateral mobility.  If we don't keep him, I suspect somebody would snag him--risk/return is probably favorable.  

10 hours ago, elmatus said:

I don't feel Howard would be much of an improvement really (if any). He's another guy who has seemed very underwhelming to me over the years.

I agree in general, but he's actually been very good this year.

My hope is Anderson from Ottawa.   What I'm REALLY hoping is that it's not one of the idiots in New Jersey.

10 hours ago, elmatus said:

Yeah, but that would be the veteran mentor.  A guy who helps teach and take some of the back-to-back workload or take a spot start when the kid is seeming to struggle and needs to sit for a game.  

It seems like too reduced a role for a Howard or Anderson, actually, but I have no other real ideas in terms of an available veteran that could suit that.  If Elliott comes back, he's actually perfect for that for the rest of this year.

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I agree in general, but he's actually been very good this year.

My hope is Anderson from Ottawa.   What I'm REALLY hoping is that it's not one of the idiots in New Jersey.

I'll take your word for it. I can't say I've watched much Detroit this season. I know that I've never liked him in past years where I did pay more attention. He's always seemed to be a starter almost by accident owing to a lack of other options. Even when Detroit had a reasonable team, he seemed to be one of their biggest problems. He may be playing better this year, but I wouldn't count on it over any length of time personally.

It's worth noting I remember feeling very similarly about Elliott. I kind of think Howard would be more of the same. I don't think he'd be much of an upgrade really (if any).

Anderson I do think is the best of the three. I'm just not sure he's that much better at his age now to warrant moving pieces just to get him in what really should be a back up role. I imagine just keeping Elliott for another year or whatever is probably the simplest and cheapest option, so I'd probably just go for that.

Anderson also has a M-NMC. I'm not really sure how his clause works, but I expect it would be tough to convince him to come to PHI. I'm not even sure he'd want to move away from Ottawa at this point in his career. If he did, he'd probably want to at least move to a playoff team.

But yeah, mostly I just don't think it would be worth burning any assets getting Howard or even Anderson. The slight upgrade they might potentially provide is a hard sell for me.

2 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I'll take your word for it. I can't say I've watched much Detroit this season.

Anderson I do think is the best of the three. I'm just not sure he's that much better to warrant moving pieces just to get him in what really should be a back up role. I imagine just keeping Elliott for another year or whatever is probably the simplest and cheapest option, so I'd probably just go for that.

Anderson also has a M-NMC. I'm not really sure how his clause works, but I expect it would be tough to convince him to come to PHI. I'm not even sure he'd want to move away from Ottawa at this point in his career. If he did, he'd probably want to at least move to a playoff team.

But yeah, mostly I just don't think it would be worth burning any assets getting Howard or even Anderson. The slight upgrade they might potentially provide is a hard sell for me.

Yeah, I don't think I'd burn assets for Howard, for sure. This year still feels like an aberration to me.   

I don't think Anderson waiving to come here is much of an issue. He has connections to the area and the Flyers helped with treatment and other arrangements when Anderson's wife was ill. 

But ultimately, like you, I don't move significant pieces for the role.  If Hart is able to play even 60-40, he just needs a competent backup.  If Elliott can be that, stick with that. 

I think the "if Elliott can be that" is key. I don't know what his health prognosis is.  We need to get off the hospital ward merry-go-round.  If his health doesn't allow 32 starts a year, we have to go back to an outside plan. 

I think we should be able to float this year. There's some UFA options over the summer, especially if the idea is a vet who can play 30-35 games. 

I don't think spending assets on a vet goalie for the duration of this year is wise or warranted. 

46 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't think spending assets on a vet goalie for the duration of this year is wise or warranted. 

Who suggested doing something stupid like that?

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

He has connections to the area and the Flyers helped with treatment and other arrangements when Anderson's wife was ill. 

I didn't know that. That's a good thing to hear really.

Archived