Flyers trade list for the deadline

Lindbergh31

Well if they are planning on a serious push for the playoffs I don't think they can afford to move Gudas.

Simmer I think they can move he has been mostly invisible except he finally had two assist the first Wings game and he had a fight with dickhead yesterday.

Otherwise move him.

But if they move Simmer they will certainly be softer and left with no one who can stand up for the guys except Gudas.

So if they do Goulbourne might need to be on speed dial.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well if they are planning on a serious push for the playoffs I don't think they can afford to move Gudas.

Simmer I think they can move he has been mostly invisible except he finally had two assist the first Wings game and he had a fight with dickhead yesterday.

Otherwise move him.

But if they move Simmer they will certainly be softer and left with no one who can stand up for the guys except Gudas.

So if they do Goulbourne might need to be on speed dial.

I'm on the fence with regards to Gudas. He's a right handed defenseman that has good advanced numbers and he still has another year left on his contract. At the same time, this is still a team with serious flaws. If the return for Gudas is real good, then I say you have to consider moving him. 

I'm worried that they're going to do something stupid though and move Gostisbehere. Everything just seems that he isn't the type of player Fletcher likes. I'd rather see Hagg and MacDonald go, but Ghost probably could return a king's ransom.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm on the fence with regards to Gudas. He's a right handed defenseman that has good advanced numbers and he still has another year left on his contract. At the same time, this is still a team with serious flaws. If the return for Gudas is real good, then I say you have to consider moving him. 

I'm worried that they're going to do something stupid though and move Gostisbehere. Everything just seems that he isn't the type of player Fletcher likes. I'd rather see Hagg and MacDonald go, but Ghost probably could return a king's ransom.

Depending on the offer yeah I keep Gudas worse case then Mcdud will have a spot.

Unless they wanted to give Friedman a chance.

They will only have 3 recalls after the deadline passes because Carter Hart will count as one when they send him down so he is eligible for the AHL playoffs.

I think they keep Raffl.

Simmer goes to the highest bidder...

Ek says the Flyers in on Spurgeon from MIN or Lovejoy from NJ.

Spurgeon is 5'9", 167 and 29 years old. 

Lovejoy is 35.

Don't like either one, really... I mean, they're fine, but they're not what I'd be looking for. They're just more of what we have in terms of vets - we need someone better than that.

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

Lovejoy is 35.

Don't like either one, really... I mean, they're fine, but they're not what I'd be looking for. They're just more of what we have in terms of vets - we need someone better than that.

In posted this the other day.

I don't buy it one bit sounds like he is just making sh it up...again.

He don't have nothing new to report beside the same ol Simmonds, Panarin and Stone crap.

So hey just make some new stuff up.

Just sad.

Wonder what that guy makes a year sitting in his mom's basement make stuff up.

Has to be a killing he has been around forever.

I mean it's like mock drafts they ain't never right much but damn if we all don't waste our time reading it.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

In posted this the other day.

I don't buy it one bit sounds like he is just making sh it up...again.

He don't have nothing new to report beside the same ol Simmonds, Panarin and Stone crap.

So hey just make some new stuff up.

It makes sense for the Minnesota connection with Fletch. I mean, they've lost 9 of 10 and are STILL only 1 point out of a playoff spot (and have fewer points than we do). Man, the West is weak. 

That being said, not sure why they'd jettison Spurgeon being this close to a playoff spot? 

13 minutes ago, brelic said:

Lovejoy is 35.

why would the Flyers be "in" on those two players ?

Ben Lovejoy has always been meh, Spurgeon ? who ?

if this is the direction, Dave Scott shat the bed hard when he fired Hextall.

trading anything for those stiffs would be stupid.

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

I feel like we need so many things at this point, it's hard for me to look at one type of player and consider them any sort of missing link. What we most need is for some of these kids to show they're capable of becoming solid NHL players. 

I mean, someone like Spurgeon is pretty much the average vet dman we're going to get. He's nothing flashy, and he's not going to magically get better, but he's serviceable in a top four role. Part of me just can't help but feel like we shouldn't need that kind of guy. I really don't think he's much better than Gudas for instance, so how much of an improvement are we talking here? Why not just keep Gudas?

Lovejoy was that guy seven years ago. I have no idea why we'd be in on him now. That has Homer's handwriting all over it.

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

It makes sense for the Minnesota connection with Fletch. I mean, they've lost 9 of 10 and are STILL only 1 point out of a playoff spot (and have fewer points than we do). Man, the West is weak. 

That being said, not sure why they'd jettison Spurgeon being this close to a playoff spot? 

And why would the Flyers want a defenseman who is smaller than and more expensive than Ghost.

Hey if they take Ghost I would be down with it.

But if they trade Ghost for him I would be pissed.

So depends on what went the other way.

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

That has Homer's handwriting all over it.

That was EXACTLY my thought. 

I'm just honestly not sold on Provorov/Sanheim or Ghost as our top pairing again next year. They have struggled. Mightily. And even now that Provy's game is rounding into something more like last year, he still struggles. 

Which is normal. 

But do we want that *again* next season? I feel like he's still 2-4 seasons away from entering his prime and a cleaner game overall. He could definitely use a stabilizing factor with him.

Of course, if we bring in an experienced, competent coach, all bets are off. If Trots can pull off defensive miracles with the Isles roster, there's no reason to believe the same can't be done here with the right coach.

1 minute ago, brelic said:

I'm just honestly not sold on Provorov/Sanheim or Ghost as our top pairing again next year. 

Me either sure it's premature but in my mind I have Myers penciled in as Ivan's partner.

It would give Ivan a chance to play on the left side where he is more comfortable and then you could drop Sanheim back down to the 2nd pair where he may fit better. For now.

Reunite Ghost with Morin on the bottom pair or till he is ready pair Ghost and Hagg.

Worse case one day soon you could trade a guy out to make room for Friedman maybe.

Provorov/Myers

Sanheim/Gudas

Ghost/Hagg

Morin/Friedman

Waive Mcdud by next camp preseason because Friedman will be subject to waivers to be sent to the AHL next year which I don't think he survives.

Even though he hasn't got any NHL experience right hand two way defensemen are worth their weight in gold.

It's my outlook for the end of the year and next.

First things first give Myers a chance to play and prove himself worthy.

He was the 2nd best defensemen I seen play when he was the 7th the other night hopefully he can build on that.

Time will tell.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Me either sure it's premature but in my mind I have Myers penciled in as Ivan's partner.

Yeah, definitely premature. Consider that both Provorov (224 GP) and Sanheim (109 GP) are still struggling NOW, and it's just not realistic or fair to expect Myers to come in and be on the top pair, and do it well. 

I honestly think that would be a developmental mistake.

Anyone a little concerned about the potential return for Simmonds?  I worry a little that we are going to be disappointed.  He's UFA, not having a great season (understandably) and isn't a fast player in today's NHL which I think is a big knock.  That said, I do think he's the kind of player that you want for your playoff run in terms of toughness and spirit .  Question is whether you want him for longer and, if not, how much is he worth giving up as just a rental?

I don't know if they have assets they'd be willing to part with, but I think Tampa would be a good fit for him.  They need some toughness to counterbalance guys like Wilson in the POs.  I just don't know where he sits in their lineup.  Nashville would be a great fit as well to help their PP and obviously he and Laviolette have familiarity.  I think the Bruins are out since they acquired Coyle.  Who else?  Calgary?  Winnipeg?  Maybe some team comes from out of the blue.

I suppose Stone sets the market.  Perhaps that's why things have been a little quiet re: Simmonds at the moment.  Once that domino falls, things should move.  I hope whoever misses on Stone is ridiculously desperate to acquire Simmonds.

@vis

I can't help but think, the recent run of good play has also factored into the Simmonds "sweepstakes".

Here's what i saw vs Tampa. This group isn't better than that group, so where and what to do to change that ?

They are the top dog now, is Fletcher with his Harvard education dialed in enough to project out where our group leapfrogs their group? I hope he isn't thinking of copy-catting them.  The way to be successful is look at what they have and and see where they can be better and then go there.  Do we think he's thinking like that, is he allowed to think like that ?

Did Homer and Dave Scott, pick the right guy during the middle of the season with notice and no actual plan going forward ?  I think the probability is high that Fletcher was tossed into the deep end of the pool and told not just to swim but win.

There's a good chance Chuck really steps on his crank. I don't feel awesome about any deadline deals, especially those where we are thinking of adding middling guys to "stabilize" that's not what's needed.  They need a top tier guy to show these young guys how to get to the top tier.  Andrew MacDonald is a nice man and good bloke, but he's never seen the view from the top of the mountain...same with Lovejoy and Spurgeon.

I hope the Flyers are not blowing assets on meh, and that's what I feel like we're in for.

Could we could snag a 1st for Simmer from one of these teams in the playoff hunt? Or maybe even a 1st and a decent player or prospect? I know he is a UFA after tis season and he isn't playing his best hockey but do you think teams who have a real chance to go far in the playoffs might agree to such a trade?

59 minutes ago, vis said:

Anyone a little concerned about the potential return for Simmonds?  I worry a little that we are going to be disappointed.  He's UFA, not having a great season (understandably) and isn't a fast player in today's NHL which I think is a big knock.  That said, I do think he's the kind of player that you want for your playoff run in terms of toughness and spirit .  Question is whether you want him for longer and, if not, how much is he worth giving up as just a rental?

I don't know if they have assets they'd be willing to part with, but I think Tampa would be a good fit for him.  They need some toughness to counterbalance guys like Wilson in the POs.  I just don't know where he sits in their lineup.  Nashville would be a great fit as well to help their PP and obviously he and Laviolette have familiarity.  I think the Bruins are out since they acquired Coyle.  Who else?  Calgary?  Winnipeg?  Maybe some team comes from out of the blue.

I suppose Stone sets the market.  Perhaps that's why things have been a little quiet re: Simmonds at the moment.  Once that domino falls, things should move.  I hope whoever misses on Stone is ridiculously desperate to acquire Simmonds.

I'm starting to think that the Flyers might not get a 1st rounder for Simmonds unless there becomes a bidding war from teams in the same division who don't want him going to the other team. The Flyers might end up getting a conditional 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder for him with a prospect. I'm still hoping for a 1st but they definitely got to trade him before the deadline because I don't see him resigning to a reasonable contract.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I hope the Flyers are not blowing assets on meh, and that's what I feel like we're in for.

I don't get that feeling.  There was a greater possibility of that happening in the first two weeks Fletcher got here and he didn't make that type of move then.   I don't see them making that type of move now.  Now, I can see them trading meaningful assets for a significant return (e.g., Panarin or Stone (with a good chance at signing)).  But I just don't see moving good assets for lackluster return at this point.  That said, I believe Simmonds' value among PO teams is not as high as you would think.  I think that's were the disappointment will come from.

1 hour ago, Lindbergh31 said:

I'm starting to think that the Flyers might not get a 1st rounder for Simmonds unless there becomes a bidding war from teams in the same division who don't want him going to the other team. The Flyers might end up getting a conditional 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder for him with a prospect. I'm still hoping for a 1st but they definitely got to trade him before the deadline because I don't see him resigning to a reasonable contract.

Yeah, agree with all of this.  Boyle (UFA) returned a 2nd rounder, so you'd think Simmonds would return more.  Coyle (one year left on a manageable deal) returned an OK prospect and a 5th rounder.  I think any deal involves a similar player with a pick or two conditioned on (a) how deep in the POs the acquiring team goes and/or (b) whether they are able to resign him.

40 minutes ago, vis said:

Yeah, agree with all of this.  Boyle (UFA) returned a 2nd rounder, so you'd think Simmonds would return more.  Coyle (one year left on a manageable deal) returned an OK prospect and a 5th rounder.  I think any deal involves a similar player with a pick or two conditioned on (a) how deep in the POs the acquiring team goes and/or (b) whether they are able to resign him.

kind of weird when Charlie Coyle is setting the market...but I have been thinking the return on Wayne would be just okay...I wasn't expecting 2 firsts and a coke addict for Simmonds.

7 hours ago, brelic said:

Lovejoy is 35.

Depends on what they give up.

Thought I read something that someone of pretty good stature said that the Spurgeon is one of the most underrated/unheralded players in the NHL.

Lovejoy.  Neither love him nor does he bring me any joy.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

kind of weird when Charlie Coyle is setting the market...but I have been thinking the return on Wayne would be just okay...I wasn't expecting 2 firsts and a coke addict for Simmonds.

Who is the coke addict?

I honestly don't know what to expect at this point. I also don't really have a handle on what the team needs. I feel like they've been standing still now for years, and that's despite all the changes and what not. It's pretty disheartening. 

Hart is a bright spot I suppose. I would say we don't need a goalie right now (oh hai Talbot).

Aside from him though, the top six has been underwhelming, our PP looks like a PK half the time, and our dcorps has been downright horrible all around. It's hard to get a handle on moves Fletch could do to make the team better right now. We just seem to need everything.

I feel like 4-5 years ago we talked about this team needing years to become good. Now we're at that point, and it feels an awful lot like this team needs another 4-5 years, and probably an overhaul of some sort. 

Archived