Flyers 2020-21 season

Meltzer reported this morning (12/17/20) - 

Flyers players at the Voorhees Flyers Training Center:

Travis Konecny
Michael Raffl (returned from playing in Austria)
Linus Sandin (on his way to quarantine)
Carter Hart
Ivan Provorov
Phil Myers
Sam Morin
Robert Hägg
Oskar Lindblom
Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Carsen Twarynski
Tanner Laczysnki

Camp is expected to start around January 2 once the final return-to-play plan is announced.

Philadelphia Flyers on Twitter: "Fans coming to Training Camp this weekend,  be sure to grab a free #Flyers tshirts and other giveaways!… "

P7110197_wp%2B%25281%2529.jpg

. . . 

. . . 

Edited by Zzeke

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Still believe they should have reloaded that Jagr team for another run.

But hey they could have gotten Parise and Suter and look what they've done for Minnesota!

Paul Holmgren remains a horrible failure.

Burned !!!

Jaromir Jagr of the Philadelphia Flyers poses during media day on day one of training camp for the 2011-2012 NHL season at the Virtua Flyers Skate...

• The Philadelphia Flyers reportedly had trade talks regarding Patrik Laine, but those discussions have since cooled.

It's still possible that the talks with the Jets could start up again, but as we get closer to the season, it's looking more and more likely that Laine will start the season with Winnipeg.

Although Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff did suggest back in October that Laine could be traded, the Jets would only move him if they could get a return they'd be happy with. Laine is already a high-end forward and he has the potential to become an elite one, but his future is somewhat uncertain in part because the Jets haven't locked him up yet. He's entering the second season of a two-year, $13.5 million contract and will be a restricted free agent after that.

Dec 17, 2020, 10:00 AM ET

And, Eklund today (12/17/20)

According to two sources, one in Winnipeg and one in Chicago, the Jets are very willing to listen to trade concepts involving Patrik Laine. The scoring star winger re-signing in Winnipeg isn’t going the way the sides had hoped and Laine could land the Jets few key pieces as the price will be extraordinarily high as has been reported in the past.

The Flyers were the team who got closest to making a deal around the draft, but they found the price to be difficult and the sudden retirement of Niskanen took the Flyers in a different direction...largely because losing Niskanen AND the defenseman that would have been required to make the deal happen was too much too soon for Philly.

I am hearing Carolina, Ottawa, NJ, Boston and Philly all are open to talks...I will be updating Laine on the rumor chart after I talk to some people today.

Patrik Laine of the Winnipeg Jets warms-up against the Philadelphia Flyers on February 22, 2020 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia,...

Edited by Zzeke

2 hours ago, Zzeke said:

The Philadelphia Flyers reportedly had trade talks regarding Patrik Laine, but those discussions have since cooled.

So what are you willing to part with (not named Farabee / Frost/ Myers / Sanheim / Provorov / Hart / Coots / or Konecny)  in order to obtain Laine.  I get the ole' adage you have to give to get, but I'm not gutting this team for him.......especially for someone who has disappeared in the playoffs.  I get that he is young..... I'm just saying be

extremely cautious.

*Ek playing NHL 21*
*Computer proposes trade for Laine*
Ek on HockeyBuzz: "There are Laine trade rumours out there."

Per Ek .... ".I will be updating Laine on the rumor chart after I talk to some people today."

Ek talking to some people ..... ---->  Hey  Mom! What do you think if Laine is traded to X team for X player(s) .. :smileyandcomputer:

Edited by pilldoc
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

So what are you willing to part with (not named Farabee / Frost/ Myers / Sanheim / Provorov / Hart / Coots / or Konecny)  in order to obtain Laine.  I get the ole' adage you have to give to get, but I'm not gutting this team for him.......especially for someone who has disappeared in the playoffs.  I get that he is young..... I'm just saying be

extremely cautious.

*Ek playing NHL 21*
*Computer proposes trade for Laine*
Ek on HockeyBuzz: "There are Laine trade rumours out there."

Per Ek .... ".I will be updating Laine on the rumor chart after I talk to some people today."

Ek talking to some people ..... ---->  Hey  Mom! What do you think if Laine is traded to X team for X player(s) .. :smileyandcomputer:

Basically, I agree with you. Like you said, pd, be extremely cautious. I admit drooling over acquiring RW Laine, however foolish it may be.

Put Laine with quality playmaking linemates, and he may be a 40+ goal scorer for years. Especially considering that at age 22, he has not yet fully matured in committment and drive and has not yet reached his peak. Wow!

The key issues that Fletcher is dealing with are:

1) trade asset cost

2) Cap Management

3) Expansion Draft impact (should be okay)

Cap Management

As Laine has a 6.75 M Cap Hit this season, and will be a RFA, he and his agent will probably want 8/9 M+ over a multi-year deal. Ouch! Giroux is 8.275, Voracek 8.25, JVR 7.0, and Ghost 4.5.

Unless Fletcher can unload a significant salary / Cap Hit, it is not tenable to take on Laine. All NHL teams are very Cap cautious during this time of NHL Flat Cap. Moving JVR for example is virtually impossible, unless a trading partner gets something else of great value to them and agrees to take JVR as a requirement. And that team would have to have the Cap Space.

Trade Asset Cost

Winnipeg wants a top-4 defenceman, preferably 'right side' RH. They would ask for Myers. IMO, no way. Young, big, quality defenceman are much harder to get than quality forwards. IMO, Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers will be cornerstones for this Flyers team for many years. They are virtually untouchable. (Myers in a package for a super-star like Connor McDavid - - - - - hmm, I'd have to think about that one :shifty:.)

To get Laine by including Sanheim or Myers in the package, knowing that Zamula, York, and Wylie are coming, is a big risk. Tempting, but very risky. IMO, no.

In the end, I don't think Fletcher moves Sanheim or Myers. They both are 'big' mobile defencemen with quality play in the D-zone and have good offensive skills - - and both are young and far from their peak.

As much as I would like to have Laine, IMO the chances are slim.

IMO, this team is set - - a very good team. Sure, if Fletcher has an opportunity to trade to enhance the team - do it (w/o killing the Cap or sacrificing quality draft picks or prospects). But, his comments recently say he is high on this team. I tend to agree.

Positives:

1) Goal scoring may not be a big issue. Our Flyers last season were 7th in the 31-team NHL in 'goals scored' (They played 1 and 2 games less than the two teams ahead of them, and could easily have been 5th in the League).

2) The reminder from GM Fletcher - don't draw conclusions from the small sample size of the 13 games of the Bubble Playoffs. I think he is right.

3) The possibility, depending on circumstances, of one of these skill forwards making the team soon: Sandin, Frost, Allison - - most likely Sandin this season - - age 24, is a goal scorer with SHL pro experience.

4) the addition of Lindblom and potentially Patrick

5) young rostered players have not yet peaked and will get better and better: Konecny, Farabee, NAK, Bunnaman (in his 4th line role), Sanheim, Myers, Provorov, Hart

Actually, thinking about the end of the 2019-20 regular season success to climb to the top and how well the team was in sync under AVs system, and also knowing that finally a top-rated prospect pool is/will be ready to emerge, the future seems bright for our Flyers.

All of that said, I would offer Winnipeg this deal:

- Ghost (D)

- Wylie (D) or York (D) - choice

. . . . (if York is big in this World Jrs Tourney, he may be very attractive for a rebuilding Jets)
- Voracek (RW) age 31 (probably not wanted by Winnipeg)

- Sandin (RW) or Allison (RW) - choice

- 1st Round pick in the 2021 Draft

- JVR - Winnipeg must take him to consumate the deal (Flyers Cap relief)

I don't think Winnipeg takes this deal. Maybe?

I could be off in this thinking. What do you all think?

(Apologize for the loooong post.)

patrik-laine-of-the-winnipeg-jets-takes-

Edited by Zzeke

5 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

Ghost (D)

. . . . (if York is big in this World Jrs Tourney, he may be very attractive for a rebuilding Jets)

Ghost is an offensive d-man who caught lightning in a bottle a couple of years ago.  Not a typical top 4 d-man people traditionally think of.

Wylie or York ...truthfully I don't know enough about them, besides d-men typically take longer to develop.  I don't think the Jets want to wait.

Jake....what is he really worth at his age and contract?

I would be willing to part with a #1 if need be.

JVR .... see Jake....

IMO If I am the Jets GM I reject this trade without even giving a thought .....

I would probably hang up the moment I heard JVR's name .....

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Wylie or York ...truthfully I don't know enough about them, besides d-men typically take longer to develop.  I don't think the Jets want to wait.

True. But, they are both considered high value prospects.

The Flyers Depth Chart for Defence:

Ivan Provorov
Travis Sanheim
Philippe Myers (RH)
Erik Gustafsson
Justin Braun (RH)
Robert Hagg
Mark Friedman (RH)
Shayne Gostisbehere
Egor Zamula
Wyatte Wylie (RH)
Cameron York
Samuel Morin
Linus Hogberg
Emil Andrae
Ronald Attard (RH)
Mason Millman
Adam Ginning
John St. Ivany (RH)
Valeri Vasilyev

Cam York
Age 19
SCOUTING REPORT
An excellent skater with a very smooth stride, he is adept at joining the rush and putting up points. He also displays very good hockey sense, and he defends his position rather well. Lacks size and strength, so he needs to add more bulk and get physically stronger for the highest level. His quickness and hockey savvy make him a constant threat in transition. Long Range Potential: Swift-skating, talented defenseman with upside.

[Flyers AGM] Flahr called York an “elite skater” who needs to improve his strength before he’s ready to turn pro. “He’s very smart. He’s good moving the puck, and he’s got a strong offensive dimension," he said. "For him, it’s just being able to handle the bigger, stronger guys at the pro level and being able to handle the rigors of the NHL’s 82-game schedule.”

- After Team USA World Jrs, York will play at Michigan for the 2020-21 Season and most likely will get 1 year's pro experience with the Phantoms in the 2021-22 Season.
- At age 21 he will join our Flyers for the 2022-23 Season. IMO.

Wyatte Wylie
Age 21
SCOUTING REPORT
Wylie is a great skater and stick handler for that matter. He remains calm and poised, as he is very rarely out of position defensively. Hextall selected Wylie to help aide the Flyers with transitioning out of the zone, but more importantly join the rush when he sees fit. The Flyers will need speedy right-handed defencemen in the future, as the name of the game in the NHL is speed. There is no doubt Wylie can eventually be that speedy spark to amp up the offense, but play a sound defensive game, as well.

What most Flyers fans do not know is that Wylie played on his off-hand last season for the Everett Silvertips. He also told me at Developmental Camp that he can play either side on Defense because of such. These tools became valuable when Chuck Fletcher decided to ink him to a three-year ELC, “I wanted to come here this Summer to prove to the Flyers I wanted to be here,” Wylie told me at Developmental Camp.

Everett Silvertips defenseman Wyatte Wylie fires a shot on net in the third period during a game between the Kelowna Rockets and the Everett...

Cam York - Team USA

cut.jpg

Edited by Zzeke
  • Like 1

• GARY BETTMAN COM, NHL

The 2020-21 NHL season could be played entirely in the U.S. if agreements can’t be struck to make the all-Canadian Division a reality. 

The league would prefer to have all the Canadian-based teams play in their own cities to limit travel to being domestic and to not have to worry about border restrictions. However, that plan is being held up by the need for approval from health authorities in Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

The NHL is still discussing protocols with the NHLPA and those measures will need to be okayed by the Canadian provinces. The fallback option if approval doesn't come is to have the Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Jets, Maple Leafs, Senators and Canadiens play out of the United States. This would change how realignment could look going into the 2020-21 campaign.

SOURCE: Sportsnet.ca
    Dec 17, 2020, 5:13 PM ET

cntRUFVUGnpdeNQ-800x450-noPad.jpg?1528296830
  •  

17 hours ago, Zzeke said:

Basically, I agree with you. Like you said, pd, be extremely cautious. I admit drooling over acquiring RW Laine, however foolish it may be.

Put Laine with quality playmaking linemates, and he may be a 40+ goal scorer for years. Especially considering that at age 22, he has not yet fully matured in committment and drive and has not yet reached his peak. Wow!

The key issues that Fletcher is dealing with are:

1) trade asset cost

2) Cap Management

3) Expansion Draft impact (should be okay)

Cap Management

As Laine has a 6.75 M Cap Hit this season, and will be a RFA, he and his agent will probably want 8/9 M+ over a multi-year deal. Ouch! Giroux is 8.275, Voracek 8.25, JVR 7.0, and Ghost 4.5.

Unless Fletcher can unload a significant salary / Cap Hit, it is not tenable to take on Laine. All NHL teams are very Cap cautious during this time of NHL Flat Cap. Moving JVR for example is virtually impossible, unless a trading partner gets something else of great value to them and agrees to take JVR as a requirement. And that team would have to have the Cap Space.

Trade Asset Cost

Winnipeg wants a top-4 defenceman, preferably 'right side' RH. They would ask for Myers. IMO, no way. Young, big, quality defenceman are much harder to get than quality forwards. IMO, Provorov, Sanheim, and Myers will be cornerstones for this Flyers team for many years. They are virtually untouchable. (Myers in a package for a super-star like Connor McDavid - - - - - hmm, I'd have to think about that one :shifty:.)

To get Laine by including Sanheim or Myers in the package, knowing that Zamula, York, and Wylie are coming, is a big risk. Tempting, but very risky. IMO, no.

In the end, I don't think Fletcher moves Sanheim or Myers. They both are 'big' mobile defencemen with quality play in the D-zone and have good offensive skills - - and both are young and far from their peak.

As much as I would like to have Laine, IMO the chances are slim.

IMO, this team is set - - a very good team. Sure, if Fletcher has an opportunity to trade to enhance the team - do it (w/o killing the Cap or sacrificing quality draft picks or prospects). But, his comments recently say he is high on this team. I tend to agree.

Positives:

1) Goal scoring may not be a big issue. Our Flyers last season were 7th in the 31-team NHL in 'goals scored' (They played 1 and 2 games less than the two teams ahead of them, and could easily have been 5th in the League).

2) The reminder from GM Fletcher - don't draw conclusions from the small sample size of the 13 games of the Bubble Playoffs. I think he is right.

3) The possibility, depending on circumstances, of one of these skill forwards making the team soon: Sandin, Frost, Allison - - most likely Sandin this season - - age 24, is a goal scorer with SHL pro experience.

4) the addition of Lindblom and potentially Patrick

5) young rostered players have not yet peaked and will get better and better: Konecny, Farabee, NAK, Bunnaman (in his 4th line role), Sanheim, Myers, Provorov, Hart

Actually, thinking about the end of the 2019-20 regular season success to climb to the top and how well the team was in sync under AVs system, and also knowing that finally a top-rated prospect pool is/will be ready to emerge, the future seems bright for our Flyers.

All of that said, I would offer Winnipeg this deal:

- Ghost (D)

I could be off in this thinking. What do you all think?

(Apologize for the loooong post.)

patrik-laine-of-the-winnipeg-jets-takes-

The Hockey Writers' Jim Parsons reports today (Dec 18, 2020) - 

The Jets have set a high price for Laine, especially after adding Paul Statsny almost exclusively to help make Laine more comfortable. If they do move him, it won’t be for cheap and it is believed the Jets will want a top-pairing defenseman in return or a young blueliner with top-two potential as part of a package deal. Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff would likely ask for Ivan Provorov straight up or for Philippe Myers to be part of any package deal.

Ah! 'or a young blueliner with top-two potential as part of a package deal'.

Again, no way giving Myers (or Provorov) IMO. But if Winnipeg lowers their demands, maybe Wylie (D) or York (D) as part of a package would do it? (Reluctant to include Zamula.)

Profiles on Wylie and York is a few posts above.

Patrik Laine of the Winnipeg Jets takes a shot on goal against the Philadelphia Flyers on March 10, 2018 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia,...

22 minutes ago, Zzeke said:

The Hockey Writers' Jim Parsons reports today (Dec 18, 2020) - 

The Jets have set a high price for Laine, especially after adding Paul Statsny almost exclusively to help make Laine more comfortable. If they do move him, it won’t be for cheap and it is believed the Jets will want a top-pairing defenseman in return or a young blueliner with top-two potential as part of a package deal. Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff would likely ask for Ivan Provorov straight up or for Philippe Myers to be part of any package deal.

Ah! 'or a young blueliner with top-two potential as part of a package deal'.

Again, no way giving Myers (or Provorov) IMO. But if Winnipeg lowers their demands, maybe Wylie (D) or York (D) as part of a package would do it? (Reluctant to include Zamula.)

Profiles on Wylie and York is a few posts above.

Patrik Laine of the Winnipeg Jets takes a shot on goal against the Philadelphia Flyers on March 10, 2018 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia,...

I'd rather hard pass on Laine. However if i am trading for him it would have to be a Patrick and Ghost for Laine deal.

Now there can certainly be some picks added to make this a fair trade but i wouldn't be moving any other players not name Jake or JVR in the deal. 

I know the Jets have like zero cap space so realistically they can't take a JVR or Jake on unless Flyers.

Otherwise the line pushes Jake to second line RW.

TK drops down to 3rd line RW.

Giroux Coots Laine

Lindblom Hayes TK

Farabee Frost Jake

JVR Laughton NAK

Raffl Sandin

It shakes out something like that. I opt to put TK on the second line so maybe Lindblom and TK can try and recapture the magic they had last year when they were on fire before Lindblom went out with the cancer issue...not sure if they will but let's try!

Either way they don't have to have Laine fo sure.

• Like 1

RE Liane: first world problem for sure.

Hard pass blowing a hole in the system for that guy at this time.

I've gone back and forth about him. There are days where I see the value, days where I don't I reckon today is a "don't" day.

I think the Flyers have scorers, but they do have questions around them. Lindblom, Patrick, they've got some bangers, Allison, Ratcliffe...I don't know man, the guys in the system are character guys, I don't know enough about Laine to know whether he's got maturity issues, Puljarvi disease or what. 

But the fact that a guy with that shot has had his name bandied about in trade rumors for as long as he has with no takers makes me think think there's a reason beyond $ to avoid him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

RE Liane: first world problem for sure.

Hard pass blowing a hole in the system for that guy at this time.

I've gone back and forth about him. There are days where I see the value, days where I don't I reckon today is a "don't" day.

I think the Flyers have scorers, but they do have questions around them. Lindblom, Patrick, they've got some bangers, Allison, Ratcliffe...I don't know man, the guys in the system are character guys, I don't know enough about Laine to know whether he's got maturity issues, Puljarvi disease or what. 

But the fact that a guy with that shot has had his name bandied about in trade rumors for as long as he has with no takers makes me think think there's a reason beyond $ to avoid him.

@OccamsRazor

@mojo1917

Good thinking OR and mojo.

Here is some background from multiple sources - 

>> All Patrik Laine wants to do is play with his team's best players, and he's never had the chance in Winnipeg. Head coach, Paul Maurice loves to balance out his top-2 lines, and Laine is always stuck with whatever's left after Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler. Turns out, Laine has had enough of riding in the coat-tails and according to a Jets source, he's informed Jets management his preference is to be traded! It's hard to reach your potential when you feel you're constantly being held back by your coach. That soon will change for Patrik Laine and he'll be happy to hear the news. <<

>> There is a lot of buzz surrounding Winnipeg Jets right wing Patrik Laine, who is under contract for one more year before becoming a restricted free agent.

TSN's Darren Dreger recently said on the Insider Trading podcast that the Winnipeg Jets were "serious" and listening to offers on the star forward (h/t Pro Hockey Rumors). Pierre LeBrun of TSN and The Athletic added that both the Columbus Blue Jackets and Carolina Hurricanes have interest in Laine, with Carolina already inquiring before balking at Winnipeg's asking price. <<

>> Sometimes you have to give to get and the Winnipeg Jets appear to be balancing that fact this off-season.

Specifically, the team is weighing whether trading Patrik Laine will help the club fill other voids it has at centre and on defence.

It’s no secret that they need to upgrade a defense corps that lost Jacob Trouba, Dustin Byfuglien and Tyler Myers all in one offseason, but how exactly will they address that underperforming offense? <<

>> The Winnipeg Jets have one of the biggest names available on the trade market as Darren Dreger of TSN reports, the Jets are listening to offers on sniper, Patrik Laine. It appears they have received one from the Columbus Blue Jackets and it may be worth considering.

According to sources connected to Winnipeg, Columbus is offering a deal centered around RHD David Savard, forward Boone Jenner and several draft picks and prospects. 

Patrik Laine has also been linked to the Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers, and Buffalo Sabres as the Jets are trying their best to land a package that includes at least one RHD and a #2 centre. This deal with Columbus won't be the best one they see, so it doesn't appear likely Laine is headed to Ohio. <<

>> Laine, 21, is one of the top goal-scorers in the NHL, scoring 138 goals in 305 career games. But the Jets are loaded at forward and if Laine was moved, Mark Scheifele, Nikolaj Ehlers, Blake Wheeler and Kyle Connor are all still options on offence.

With only one-year remaining on his contract at $6.25 million, plus restricted free agent rights, Laine would be a very popular player on the trade market, but would also be very expensive. But if Wayne Gretzky can be traded, anyone can, and teams will be lining up on Portage Avenue to pitch Kevin Cheveldayoff if the Jets decide to explore their options. <<

>> Multiple reports in recent days have tabbed the Flyers as serious suitors for a potential trade with the Winnipeg Jets for their star right-winger, Patrik Laine.

The 22-year-old has quickly become one of the most dangerous — albeit streaky — pure goalscorers in the NHL since his arrival on the scene. Laine posted at least 30 goals in each of his first three NHL seasons, including 44 in his second campaign two years ago. He was on pace to break that mark this season with 28 goals in 68 games before the coronavirus pandemic halted play in March.

Normally, such an impressive young talent would be untouchable for NHL teams — but the Jets find themselves in quite a precarious situation.

They have an estimated $15 million in cap space available and only have 14 players under contract. Considering they are a team that needs to address multiple, glaring needs, keeping Laine long-term wouldn’t necessarily help.

He’ll be a restricted free agent following next season and will fetch much more than his current two-year, 13.5 million deal — which is why the Jets haven’t seemed too eager to secure him for the foreseeable future.

Trading Laine and eliminating that potential enormous contract would allow the Jets to fill in those roster holes. According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Winnipeg is looking for at least a second-line center and a second-pairing defenseman. 

Flyers defenseman Travis Sanheim could certainly fit in a deal as a 24-year-old promising blue liner that is also a Winnipeg native. However, Philadelphia’s defense already experienced a rather unexpected loss when Matt Niskanen announced his retirement.

When it comes to producing a second-line center for the Jets, that’s where things get a bit more difficult for the Flyers. It would have to be one of their younger prospects, regardless, whether that’s Morgan Frost or Nolan Patrick.

Analyzing what Laine brings to the Flyers is already a foregone conclusion. A pure sniper would do wonders for a power play that came up lame when they needed it most during the postseason while taking some of the offensive pressure off the aging likes of Claude Giroux, Sean Couturier, and Jakub Voracek. Laine would help lead the charge of Philadelphia’s next generation, which already has a big piece in 23-year-old Travis Konecny. <<

>> The Philadelphia Flyers might get a little bit more Finnish over the next week. According to The Athletic’s Pierre Lebrun, the Flyers and the Winnipeg Jets have held discussions over a possible trade that would see winger Patrik Laine on his way to Philadelphia.

The 22-year-old has found himself lost in the shuffle, as other forwards such as Nikolaj Ehlers and Kyle Connor have overstepped him in the depth chart for the Jets. With just one year remaining on his two-year bridge deal that holds a cap hit of $6.75-million, the sniper will only get more expensive.

Winnipeg has a total of 10 players on their NHL roster that are pending unrestricted free agents and four restricted free agents, with only $14-million in cap space — GM Kevin Cheveldayoff might have his busiest offseason yet.

This level of flexibility and uncertainty leaves the Jets in a tight spot with Laine. He is going to get a substantial bump in pay and will only leave his current team wanting more cap space to fill out the roster. With this in mind, it makes sense to take some calls on the player and the Flyers appear to be the frontrunners in terms of such calls.

What can Laine bring to the Flyers?

Laine has been heralded as the next elite goalscorer ever since the Jets drafted him second overall in 2016. His ability to get into his spot and rifle the puck behind the opposing goaltender has been well documented.

Through 305 games, the 22-year-old has scored a total of 138 goals, with 52 of them coming on the man advantage. That’s nothing to scoff at, but his play away from the puck has been heavily criticized in just the four years he’s been in the league.

Although he is reportedly working towards becoming a complete player, the results have not shown that ability quite yet. This past season, Laine posted an on-ice 46.9 CF% at 5-on-5. That’s good for 16th on the Jets and 531st among all skaters with at least 200 minutes at even-strength.

While he might not control the play like some of the best in the league, he is still able to score goals at an insane rate and that can be extremely valuable to a club like the Flyers.

Although the Flyers were able to earn their way into the upper echelon of teams in the standings this regular season and score the eighth-most goals in the league at all situations, they could still use a pure sniper like Laine. Someone on the powerplay that you can lean on and know that you will be a threat no matter what.

I am certainly not one that enjoys hypothesizing trades, but I will make an exception because Laine in Philadelphia would just be so fun.

Winnipeg is in desperate need of a second-line center and a top-four defenceman — like pretty much every single team in the NHL — and the Flyers have the latter in Sanheim. A good ol’ Winnipeg boy would be welcomed with open arms and can solve some problems on their blue line.

Whether it’s worth letting go the 24-year-old for a flashy Finnish product, is ultimately unclear. Receiving a bonafide scorer that still has time on his side is tantalizing and with some defencemen coming through the prospect pipeline, it could make sense in the grand scheme of things.

One thing is for certain though, having Laine on this team would be fun as hell. <<

Patrik Laine of the Winnipeg Jets takes a shot on goal against Christian Folin and Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers on January 28, 2019 at the...

Edited by Zzeke

On 12/11/2020 at 4:12 PM, Zzeke said:

What?? Please NO !!

Elliotte Friedman | @FriedgeHNIC
December 10, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quickie blog for Thursday afternoon:

The NHL is investigating selling ads on players’ helmets. It was brought up on Wednesday’s Board of Governors call; there won’t be any formal comment until team presidents are briefed on Monday.

It’s an interesting move.

Across the league, there’s an understanding of the need for more creativity in revenue development. Ads on jerseys will come eventually, but there is a desire to be careful with it.

The other reason the league may “test drive” with helmets is to get an idea of where the market stands during COVID. You don’t want to rush into a below-market deal.

No, no, no !

Our Flyers' LW Linus Sandin (Flyers maybe this season), playing in Sweden - Ads !

Forwarden Linus Sandin återvänder till HV71 och lånas ut från Philadelphia Flyers.

In today's news - 

NHL Likely To Approve Helmet Ads Soon

By Mark J. Burns
Sports Business Daily
Thursday, December 17, 2020

The NHL’s Board of Governors could approve helmet ads for the '20-21 season as early as today, sources tell SBJ. These people said it’s “likely” that the asset will be approved. A Board of Governors call is scheduled for today.

We wonder if they will require goaltenders to re-do their helmet masks. Some are awesome. It would be criminal to cover them in advertisements! But, the advertisers may push for this because of the high TV exposure that goaltenders get.

Can you imagine what our Flyers would look like if step 1 is helmets and step 2 is uniforms?

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think the Flyers have scorers, but they do have questions around them

Like, can they deliver in the playoffs? So far that answer is "No"

, Allison, Ratcliffe...I don't know man, the guys in the system are character guys,

Who? I dont think playing the lottery with AHL players is a better option than one of the best scorers in the NHL. This has not worked so far

Sometimes guys need a change of venue. Carter did well after the flyers shipped him out. And they didnt do it because he lacked talent

Edited by CoachX

@CoachX

Patrick & Lindblom- haven't really had a chance.

It isn't playing the lottery.

Laine isn't worth the pile of players wpg wants. 

I wouldn't do Sanhiem for Laine straight up.

Carter did well while he was here.

I don't share your thoughts on the underachieving Finn.

Getting Closer to the Season Start

GARY BETTMAN
COM, NHL

The NHL and NHLPA have come to a tentative agreement on a 2021 NHL season. 
The deal needs to be voted on by the players and the owners, but it's good to see that there's something to vote on at this point. The players association will have a conference call after 8 p.m. ET tonight, while the board of governors will be meeting at some point this weekend. According to this proposal, training camps will open on Jan. 3 (Dec. 30 for teams that didn't return to play last August). The plan is for the regular season to begin on Jan. 13. TSN's Frank Seravalli is reporting that those dates could be changed though. The salary cap will stay at $81.5 million for each team's 23-man roster, but they'll also be allowed to carry four to six-man taxi squads. Each of the taxi squad players will earn their full AHL salaries and they'll travel and practice with their respective NHL clubs. This is great news for hockey fans. 

SOURCE: Frank Seravalli on Twitter
Dec 18, 2020, 8:11 PM ET

GARY BETTMAN
COM, NHL

The possibility of an all-Canadian Division still could occur in a hub city if agreements can't be reached with provincial health authorities.
This could serve as a "hybrid solution," per Pierre LeBurn, to allow teams to stay in Canada and not have to look for alternate homes in the United States. Health protocols still have to be agreed to by health authorities in Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia. Toronto and Edmonton served as secure zones for the NHL during the 2020 postseason. The NHL's preference is to have all seven Canadian teams play in their own cities and they are still working towards that goal. 

SOURCE: TSN.ca
Dec 18, 2020, 6:57 PM ET

GARY BETTMAN
COM, NHL

The NHLPA is scheduled to have an executive board call on Friday night. 
According to Pierre LeBrun, the player reps will be given an update on where things currently stand with respect to the 2020-21 season. He added that he didn't believe that the NHL Board of Governors had a call scheduled for today and no vote will take place yet during the NHLPA talks. "The transition rules in the season document with the NHL would need to be completed by tonight's call for a vote to take place, I think." LeBrun said on Twitter. "Those rules are (not) done yet. And there's the whole Canadian teams' situation..." There still appears to be plenty of work left to do, but the targeted start for the year is still Jan. 13.

SOURCE: TSN.ca
Dec 18, 2020, 5:22 PM ET

"I believe that we’re on the right track as far as moving forward to win a Stanley Cup," Flyers head coach Alain Vigneault said. "What we’ve gone through this past year is going to help us in the next year. Without being specific on one thing, I do firmly believe that we have the players, we have the pieces, we have the will. We have a lot of work left to do, but we are on the right track to get it done."

Head coach Alain Vigneault of the Philadelphia Flyers reacts against the New York Islanders during the first overtime period in Game Six of the...

Edited by Zzeke

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@CoachX

Patrick & Lindblom- haven't really had a chance.

It isn't playing the lottery.

Laine isn't worth the pile of players wpg wants. 

I wouldn't do Sanhiem for Laine straight up.

Carter did well while he was here.

I don't share your thoughts on the underachieving Finn.

Anytime you bring a player up, you have no idea how they will play, unless its mcdavid type of guy. Therefore, its a chance. The flyers last 2,  #2 picks, for various reasons have not become, and most likely never will become, worthy of that slot. They wont be game changers

Laine is a game changer. He has scored 138 goals in four seasons. As a #2 pick, he has outperformed both our last number 2's, and by your standards, did so while "underachieving "

Wouldnt it be nice to have those underachieving outputs on this squad? And if that is underachieving,  JVR is a walking coma

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Anytime you bring a player up, you have no idea how they will play, unless its mcdavid type of guy. Therefore, its a chance. The flyers last 2,  #2 picks, for various reasons have not become, and most likely never will become, worthy of that slot. They wont be game changers

Laine is a game changer. He has scored 138 goals in four seasons. As a #2 pick, he has outperformed both our last number 2's, and by your standards, did so while "underachieving "

Wouldnt it be nice to have those underachieving outputs on this squad? And if that is underachieving,  JVR is a walking coma

I don't think the grass is always greener in the other guy's yard, so that bias is showing here. 

People hated Carter because he didn't grimace when he was skating past people, playing defense and scoring 60 rolling out of bed.

This fanbase will ****** hate this guy. I predict should a trade come to pass, I hope it doesn't, you will be a chief pitchfork wielder when he's scraping around for a week not scoring and playing turnstile valet vs his matchup.

If the deal is a top 4 d, a prospect and a first rounder, no ****** way do I see value. 

Like I said I wouldn't do 1 for 1 with tall Travis.

I see the shot and do think damn he could be monster, but he isn't, and isn't trending the right way.

hard pass. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think the grass is always greener in the other guy's yard, so that bias is showing here. 

People hated Carter because he didn't grimace when he was skating past people, playing defense and scoring 60 rolling out of bed.

This fanbase will ****** hate this guy. I predict should a trade come to pass, I hope it doesn't, you will be a chief pitchfork wielder when he's scraping around for a week not scoring and playing turnstile valet vs his matchup.

If the deal is a top 4 d, a prospect and a first rounder, no ****** way do I see value. 

Like I said I wouldn't do 1 for 1 with tall Travis.

I see the shot and do think damn he could be monster, but he isn't, and isn't trending the right way.

hard pass. 

I've said it before and will say it again. Hockey came fairly easy to young Patrick. He was big and he had a great shot. All world.

He has not had to put the work in to be an elite player. He doesn't have good work habits. His skating is not appreciably better after four years in the league. His preferred mode is to be playing video games. He has an adolescent mind.

And I think the asking price is too steep. Like you said, teams have kicked the tires on him and all chose to not buy the car.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This fanbase will ****** hate this guy.

That is where i am at.

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Agreed.

If i am moving a package like that there would be other players i'd target who will be welcome more than Laine here in Philly.

• Like 2