Wild vs. Canucks Game 4, August 7th, 2020 @ 9:45PM CST - Official GDT

CreaseAndAssist

13 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Yes, just 11seconds were enough in OT to finish his career for the team. And, by the mistake of coach Koivu was involved in those 11 seconds. Why the coach put our 4th slowest line against the fastest opposite line which took 11 seconds to finish his career? Shame on coach and shame on Koivu. And a 2nd coach mistake for this game was missing opportunity on Kahkonen involvement. 3 goals out of 5 were on Stalock. Offense provided our team with 4 goals tonight, but he was not able to hold the score. Not acceptable for a starter goalie as well as to lose 12 goals in the last 3 games. And 7 goals (2+2+3) out of 12 he should be able to take. IMO, he is a solid backup goalie.

I am still not sure regarding Lafreniere. Hope, we will get him. 

Sadly to say, the season 2019-2020 is over for our team. It seems next season is going to start in December and for AHL too. (Site shows December 4th for AHL).

I don't think giving Koivu's line the first shift was a "mistake". More like a strategic decision. Not that unusual either to let the checking line waste the first 30 secs. after the opening faceoff. Really weird to see not one but two Wild players failing to get the puck thrown by Dumba. It wasn't that difficult. I guess their minds were still on intermission reset mode...

Stalock wasn't up to par in this game and quite frankly they should've let Kahkonen get a shot in the series. But like already pointed out, IMO too poor defensive coverage was the ultimate reason for this loss. 

People keep bringing up Lafreniere's name but I don't think this team is one or two players short of going far in the playoffs. They need to get rid of of few aging passengers who in all honesty don't bring anything to the table anymore. Plus give new guns like Kaprizov and Kahkonen big minutes.

Seeing Koivu play his last minutes in the Wild is the first step in the (hopefully) new Wild era.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

I don't think giving Koivu's line the first shift was a "mistake". More like a strategic decision. Not that unusual either to let the checking line waste the first 30 secs. after the opening faceoff. Really weird to see not one but two Wild players failing to get the puck thrown by Dumba. It wasn't that difficult. I guess their minds were still on intermission reset mode...

Stalock wasn't up to par in this game and quite frankly they should've let Kahkonen get a shot in the series. But like already pointed out, IMO too poor defensive coverage was the ultimate reason for this loss. 

People keep bringing up Lafreniere's name but I don't think this team is one or two players short of going far in the playoffs. They need to get rid of of few aging passengers who in all honesty don't bring anything to the table anymore. Plus give new guns like Kaprizov and Kahkonen big minutes.

Seeing Koivu play his last minutes in the Wild is the first step in the (hopefully) new Wild era.

Hockey-78, maybe it was a strategic decision  , but at the same time that was a tactical coach mistake similar as Boudreau did pretty often during his era. What kind of intermission reset mode was for the slowest and Dumbas players in the 4th line? Is that a high school hockey or Stanley Cup playoffs? Game#4 – was a crucial game for the team and the most team was smiling, laughing, joking at the bench through the game. I practically did not see any really sad faces at the end of the game, except of masking face of Mikko Koivu and except Kevin Fiala, who alone really had a nice drive through the all 4 playoffs games . They were simply friendly shaking the opposite players hands after the game like nothing happened . Is that was a vacation time for them during such a challenging frustrating in every life aspect 2020 year? What was difficult for them to make us happy at least for few games these playoffs? I think missing Suter was not a problem for the Wild team last game. We have seen this in previous seasons too. Same scenario.

On 8/8/2020 at 1:55 AM, lynxrattle said:

Many months without hockey due Covid-19, and now many months without Wild hockey...

For me it seemed like it was about 4's. 
4+ months with no Wild.
We get only 4 games...
And really only about 4 periods of good play.
Possibly 4 more months before we see them again.
A bit feeling like this last week wasn't even worth it.🤔

17 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

For me it seemed like it was about 4's. 
4+ months with no Wild.
We get only 4 games...
And really only about 4 periods of good play.
Possibly 4 more months before we see them again.
A bit feeling like this last week wasn't even worth it.🤔

4 all we know... *the Carpenters*

There is NO DOUBT that Guerin learned a lot about this team (what we have known for 6-7 years).  IF it were me; I build everything around Fiala and Kaprisov in front, I buyout Dubnyk, I consider trading Parise and Suckerello, demoting Suter, and finding a new YOUNG C and A (I sure as he77 don't give the C to Suter).  I forget Klyde ever existed. 

Additionally, I look to prepare this roster for next year and the following year, for Kaprisov (and hopefully LaFreniere and a Center's) arrival, and I situate myself to not get crushed in the expansion draft by losing a piece or two that could serve better value in a trade now.  I think we have seen the last of Dumba and Brodin both on the team.  I think the one that gives us the most trade value will be moved.  I would prefer to keep Brodin, as he has become the best on D for the Wild (and I would also consider his expanded use on PP).  I accelerate the development of both Mennel and Addison ASAP, and pair one of them with Soucy on 3rd and the other with Suter on 2nd line and move Brodin with Spurgeon to 1st line.  Hunt and Pateryn need to go.  I also work Kahkonen in goal to be the starter by mid-year.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

There is NO DOUBT that Guerin learned a lot about this team (what we have known for 6-7 years).  IF it were me; I build everything around Fiala and Kaprisov in front, I buyout Dubnyk, I consider trading Parise and Suckerello, demoting Suter, and finding a new YOUNG C and A (I sure as he77 don't give the C to Suter).  I forget Klyde ever existed. 

Additionally, I look to prepare this roster for next year and the following year, for Kaprisov (and hopefully LaFreniere and a Center's) arrival, and I situate myself to not get crushed in the expansion draft by losing a piece or two that could serve better value in a trade now.  I think we have seen the last of Dumba and Brodin both on the team.  I think the one that gives us the most trade value will be moved.  I would prefer to keep Brodin, as he has become the best on D for the Wild (and I would also consider his expanded use on PP).  I accelerate the development of both Mennel and Addison ASAP, and pair one of them with Soucy on 3rd and the other with Suter on 2nd line and move Brodin with Spurgeon to 1st line.  Hunt and Pateryn need to go.  I also work Kahkonen in goal to be the starter by mid-year.

Looked a fine list to me other than Hunt needs to go. Why? A cheap poor man's Spurgeon, not doing too many mistakes.

Oh and Brodin should be kept too.

18 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

My dear, Kaprizov but not Kaprisov if you have read my message on a Kaprizov thread. Agree Guerin learned a lot not only about this team and about the coach too. After the Flyers won a 3rd game, I started really blaming on coach and Stalock in our weak poor performance at Stanley Cup playoffs 2020. The Flyers team played 3 games against superbly difficult teams : Boston, Tampa and Washington and won all of them. The Flyers coach used 2 goalies in 3 games. Hart played in game #1 and #3 and Elliot played in game #2. And both goalie allowed only 1 goal in each game (total 3 goals in 3 games) against very offensively minded teams. What was difficult for our coach to use Kahkonen at least in one game to make happy our fans? It seems stubborn coach. Another nice example, Arizona Coyotes team coach used Darcy Kuemper in all 4 games, but that goalie  was faced in 2 games more than 40 shots and in one game more than 50 shots with a very poor team defense and support and the team won the series. Our Stalock allowed a lot of goals in 2 scrimmage games; 3 goals in exhibition game (before playoffs) and 12 goals in 3 playoffs games. The inconsistency for that goalie is evident and our coach, unfortunately, did not see that. Is he was blind to make that decision? We have seen Stalock for years - he is not capable to win few consecutive games in a row.  He is a backup goalie. Now about Kahkonen records - played this season 5 games for our team in NHL and lost only 1 game. He played 2 scrimmage games before playoffs and he was a single goalie among 4 goalies who did not allowed any goals in those games. I am even not talking that Kahkonen was nominated as a best goalie in AHL for 2019-2020 season and having the most shutouts per season in AHL history. 

Hunt was horrible.  It seemed to me like the game was moving too fast for his brain to process it all.  And I wasn't impressed by his footspeed as opponents took adavntage of him with their speed on multiple occasions both in the exhibition and in this series against Vancouver.  

IMO, Addison, Menell can do just as well as Hunt...and if it wasn't for Hunt's shot, no one would care one bit about him.  

17 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Time to turn C over to Brodin. Clearly best hockey player on the Wild and one of the most mobile defenseman in the NHL. Skating is unreal and he can carry the puck through traffic.🏒

Foligno is a leader. Brodin is Brodin who should be kept for the team as well as Surgeon. I do not see any better valuable defensemen for the team.

• Like 1