Round 1: Flyers vs Canadiens Thread

pilldoc

With Ghost likely to be back in the lineup tonight, AV needs to let Ghost be Ghost and put him on PP1 instead of Provorov.  While Provorov is the better player, he's too rigid.  Too structured on the PP.  Ghost is creative and dynamic.  Sure, that can cost you at even strength, but we saw what Ghost can be & it's an offensive energy the Flyers could use on the PP

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Also looks like no Niskanen for Friday.

I see what ya mean now...doesn't look good Gallagher's play is getting under the skin of the Flyers...

...ah i remember the days when the Flyers Captain would play determined like that....try to be the best player on the ice...those days are long gone...guess we'll let him serve out his contract and ride off into the sunset.

But i digress back to the topic...yeah he may sit for that one...

Edit: However i will say this Gallagher is a dirty cross checking bastard himself and several times he wasn't called for it.

And that kid Kotkaniemi is a dirty bastard himself too, he is more of a chickenshit many times i have seen him these series hit a guy with his back turned or be falling and in a vulnerable position and he delivers a cheap shot.

So will he be called on the carpet for his cheap shot to Sanheim???

Edited by OccamsRazor
Trust The Bourbon!!!!

This goal is what took the wind out the Flyers sails after getting the 2-1 lead finally...

...the rare technical mistake by the kid...it happens i hope he learns from it.

“It looked like maybe my chest protector was inside the post a little bit, so that’s kind of where it got the leeway,” Hart said. “I’ll review it and look at it, but maybe (I) could have done an overlap instead. They’re a team that fires a lot of pucks from anywhere, so you’ve just got to be ready for anything.”

It would be nice if the Flyers weren't always looking for the perfect clean shot just shoot the damn puck and see what happens out front.

Can't do that Myers you have the wrong jersey on only the smurfs can get away with this type of play.

And then the back breaker...

..the defenseman can't leave the front of the net unguarded like this especially when there is a forward already dropped down low like this.

Complete break down Pitlick gets beat to the puck along the way and off and skating go the smurfs...i blame a lot of that on Braun going to the corner and he doesn't even look back over his shoulder to see the forward coming behind him to get a stick on the puck behind the net pass...Braun is the vet stay at home D man who just can't play like that...sure Thompson should have waited on the blind pass around the boards too.

“Nate’s a good faceoff guy, Raffy and Tyler are good forecheckers,” Vigneault said after Game 4 when explaining why they had taken the opening faceoff together before the lines were shuffled. “I just thought that first faceoff of the game, let’s just try to get in deep and get our forechecking game going.”

But the on-ice data doesn’t justify Vigneault’s faith. In the series, Thompson’s lines have been buried in shot differential (98-46) and expected goal differential (2.76-1.00) at five-on-five. Thompson’s current reputation far exceeds his tangible results.

Yes, Thompson has received a heavy dose of defensive-zone faceoffs, and yes, prior to the late third-period breakdown, his line hadn’t given up much in the way of quality chances. But it wasn’t creating much of anything, either. The hard truth: By sending Thompson on the ice after tying the score, the Flyers were aiming to “not lose” the next shift. They weren’t trying to pour it on and win it. 

And that uncharacteristically conservative mindset made it just a bit more likely their post-goal shift would be spent in the defensive zone, where disaster is always a threat to strike, and in this case, strike it did. Was Thompson or his linemates directly at fault for the goal? No. But perhaps a better play-driving line wouldn’t have been in its own zone at all.

...3 very costly mistakes that ended up costing them the game.

They have to be better....i want this series over friday. I expect it too be oh and if anyone can locate the Captain that would be nice too you know let him know the playoffs have started now...

Who was the Montreal player that spun around, turned his stick so both hands were on it and went to engage the Flyers player by using his stick up at his face?  I'm multitasking here at work and my brain is fried... so can't remember who it was.

That and the little pat on top of Hart's helmet after the goal is why enforcers were in the lineup in the past.  It keeps the disrespectful little punks in their place.

Oh, and Max Domi could have put up 50 goals this year, but I can't see him as anything but Tie's kid.

Edited by eleven24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

I wont be baited by a cat with a lei on. The Flyers did not compete last night. Period. Gallaghers oversized teeth getting knocked out was the hilight of the night. 

Last thought here, I imagine you have other thoughts about the game that I might be interested in, other than you know the clipboard paste of they're soft & Giroux hate.  I know, you're old school, have known that for a while.

If you wish to keep your hockey knowledge & opinions to yourself, fine. 

It's too bad, you might have some insight I haven't thought of, that I could add to my knowledge base. 

I am not baiting you, i am trying to engage with you. It's proving difficult,  because you don't like cats ? Well I don't like maroon "F"s...see how weird that looks?

By hey whatever-

This is the best team we've had to cheer for since 2011/12.

Go Flyers

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Fixed it for you.

yes thanks, looks like I am resigned to a game 7...I'm not, I think they bounce back.

They've been resilient, a trait that no one here seems to be interested in and I don't know where that comes resilience comes from...

Giroux has been missing at even strength, he hasn't had the puck much, at all. I see it.

This is been some of the least enjoyable hockey I've watched since the mid 90's. The Habs can skate but they also do a pretty good, dare I say championship-Pens-team-like job of tying up sticks in front of the net. So good, they have to be cheating. I know Couturier is not fast, but when he can't even get his stick on the ice for a rebound attempt? that's some great work- or occams razor, cheating. 

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

yes thanks, looks like I am resigned to a game 7...I'm not, I think they bounce back.

I sure hope so i do not want to go to game 7 with this team.

I think biggest thing is Hart will bounce back it for sure wasn't his best game.

It happens and he is human. I do not however come back with this same lineup. Someone on the bottom pair needs to sit i'm looking at Braun.

And i really really hope NAK is able to play (even if it's on the 4th line this team misses what he brings) i want him in over Bunnaman...not hating on the kid but he just isn't completely ready for this type of game yet.

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Giroux has been missing at even strength, he hasn't had the puck much, at all. I see it.

I'm not trying to single him out but i don't see hustle from him and he is supposed to be the leader...and more importantly i want them to snap out of this funk all the top forwards because even if they get out of this series if they play like this vs the Bruins or Isles they will not survive 5 games....so it needs to happen friday. Hayes, Coots and Giroux need to bring it to show they are ready to put this pest on the gold course.

Because if they force a game 7 you would have to think Montreal will be flying high and the Flyers will really feel the pressure and crack.

8 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The Habs can skate but they also do a pretty good, dare I say championship-Pens-team-like job of tying up sticks in front of the net

Yes this club is very good and i am shocked at how well they look and have taken the Flyers behind the wood shed honestly for 3 games...and if it wasn't for Hart they would have won this series already...that team has brought their lunch pail to work.

Flyers have to find a way to match their intensity.

• Like 2

Philadelphia’s Matt Niskanen will have a hearing today for Cross-checking Montreal’s Brendan Gallagher.

Well i guess he'll because the smurf fell and well he has his stick at the normal position but they will sit him and let Jespri play.

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I sure hope so i do not want to go to game 7 with this team.

I think biggest thing is Hart will bounce back it for sure wasn't his best game.

It happens and he is human. I do not however come back with this same lineup. Someone on the bottom pair needs to sit i'm looking at Braun.

And i really really hope NAK is able to play (even if it's on the 4th line this team misses what he brings) i want him in over Bunnaman...not hating on the kid but he just isn't completely ready for this type of game yet.

I'm not trying to single him out but i don't see hustle from him and he is supposed to be the leader...and more importantly i want them to snap out of this funk all the top forwards because even if they get out of this series if they play like this vs the Bruins or Isles they will not survive 5 games....so it needs to happen friday. Hayes, Coots and Giroux need to bring it to show they are ready to put this pest on the gold course.

Because if they force a game 7 you would have to think Montreal will be flying high and the Flyers will really feel the pressure and crack.

Yes this club is very good and i am shocked at how well they look and have taken the Flyers behind the wood shed honestly for 3 games...and if it wasn't for Hart they would have won this series already...that team has brought their lunch pail to work.

Flyers have to find a way to match their intensity.

the only way the flyers will the cup is that hart has to play out of his mind and our top paid guys have to step up if not we are out in the second round or maybe this round i dont know this team choked it before, it wouldnt surprise since this core has been choking for 8 years and im saying this now this core will not win a cup, they have to retool and trade for young talented players to build around. this core is done.

38 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

The only way the flyers will the cup is that hart has to play out of his mind and our top paid guys have to step up if not we are out in the second round or maybe this round i dont know this team choked it before, it wouldnt surprise since this core has been choking for 8 years and im saying this now this core will not win a cup, they have to retool and trade for young talented players to build around. this core is done.

No Hart doesn't. This Habs team is a bad match up

Yes you're right the top guys like Hayes, Koneckny, Giroux and Couturier need to score, no question. 

The team hasn't been good for 8 years, there's a difference between being good enough to make the playoffs and actually winning some series,  icing teams with Matt Read and Dale Weise contributing 17 minutes a night won't win anything. Those teams that lost to NYR and the Caps were objectively 1 line teams. 

Even the great Sidney Crosby cannot win a cup without a better than average 3rd line centerman. He had Staal and won, then nothing -then he had Bonino and won.  

No more retooling, no more 5 years down the road.

Fish or cut bait, no team is going 16 and 0. I think this group is going to fish for a little longer. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wish Giroux would come out the gates one time like Gallagher and take over a game even if it was just for one period...just one period.

A la "The shift" against Crosby. Imagine what kind of fire that would light in this team if they saw that from their captain.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

But I'll ask again, What do you think was behind the lack of ice time? Any thoughts on that?

My thoughts are he is not playing well and the coach cut his time. He has been virtually invisible this series, and the round robin. Ok, so he had 2 helpers on a PP that has been an embarrassment of late. Hell even the announcers are remarking about how MTL is willing to take penalties because they aren't afraid of being shorthanded. Giroux now has 4 pts in 8 games. You have been loyal to him regularly, and props to you for that. But if you are happy with 4 pts (half being last night in a losing effort) in 8 games, at the most crucial time, then there is really no point having a discussion

Giroux is the captain, and largely because of his offensive prowess. He his heralded as a superstar and paid like one. From my perspective, he's playing like a dud, and letting his team down when he is most needed. He is predictable, therefore defensible. If he wants to be the man, he should play like the man.

I wish he would

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trevluk said:

Imagine what kind of fire that would light in this team if they saw that from their captain.

I can't it would have to be a dream. Not trying to pile on the guy but this is the worst i have seen him play since he came up.

WTF is wrong with him?? Is he hurt?? Is it all mental and he is missing his family??

Would they be better off with him opting out like Rask but he knows he can't do that since he is the Captain and he knows the Flyers fans would never forgive him???

But man if he is going to play like this would they be better off with someone else in the line up like Frost???

I really wish i had a answer i wish he would show up and play well and shut me the f**k up...i welcome it.

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

But if you are happy with 4 pts (half being last night in a losing effort) in 8 games, at the most crucial time, then there is really no point having a discussion

Thanks for this- if this is what's going on I applaud AV for sending a message in a close out game of a playoff series.

That's ballsy as hell.

Look around the forum I'm not saying he's playing great.

Can you point to one player on the Flyers outside of 79 who has played great?

He is not playing well and I understand being held to a higher standard.  Compared to the team he is a playing nearly as well as anyone, the problem is they're all being made to play poorly by Canadiens.

He needs to step up, I hope he does, I would like to see this team win 13 more games this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

My thoughts are he is not playing well and the coach cut his time. He has been virtually invisible this series, and the round robin. Ok, so he had 2 helpers on a PP that has been an embarrassment of late. Hell even the announcers are remarking about how MTL is willing to take penalties because they aren't afraid of being shorthanded. Giroux now has 4 pts in 8 games. You have been loyal to him regularly, and props to you for that. But if you are happy with 4 pts (half being last night in a losing effort) in 8 games, at the most crucial time, then there is really no point having a discussion

Giroux is the captain, and largely because of his offensive prowess. He his heralded as a superstar and paid like one. From my perspective, he's playing like a dud, and letting his team down when he is most needed. He is predictable, therefore defensible. If he wants to be the man, he should play like the man.

I wish he would

Well said. Is this is what to be expect his last two remaining years in Philly???

I sure hope not if so let's ship him off to home in Ottawa for a solid return...take the cap space and try to use it somewhere else...

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

...yes you are.

you want more that's fine to want more. 

He needs to lead by example. I get it. 

Sure i don't feel like arguing. 

He should be the tone setting like you said lead by example get in guys faces when they don't play well.

But he can't because he sucks and would lose face being a hypocrite because guys would call him out his damn self.

So i guess maybe that is why he feels stuck between a rock and hard place. He just doesn't show any fire.

That is the problem damn the points/production even when guys aren't scoring they can still go out and skate hard and play smart and physical and let their game eventually come through...but man i think his issue is mental something is not right in his brain and it is showing itself in his play.

No one can fix this but him....the question will he?? In time...before it's too late now he is messing with his legacy...

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That is the problem damn the points/production even when guys aren't scoring they can still go out and skate hard and play smart and physical and let their game eventually come through...but man i think his issue is mental something is not right in his brain and it is showing itself in his play

He was invisible last night except for the power play, I felt like I didn't see his line at all. Even when they were on the ice.

It was like they never had the puck,  reliving the worst of the Hakstol years. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure i don't feel like arguing. 

I'm arguing with you? 

Pointing out, a phrase "I'm not singling a the guy out" five pixels before you single a guy out isn't arguing, really. 

It's an observation, just think of it as a plea to be more direct with critical statements. There's no need to create the criticism sandwich or soften the critical point, just say it and be ready to explain further right ?

Largely I'm agreeing with you. Dude's been objectively "not good" in this series. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

He is not playing well and I understand being held to a higher standard.

@CoachX

Mojo1917 just Michael Jack Schmidt'd here by quoting Mojo1917.

You're not telling me anything I don't know.

I do appreciate your thoughts on the lack of ice time. I hope the message was received in a similar way to the way Gallagher received and acted upon learning his "lesson". 

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm arguing with you? 

Pointing out, a phrase "I'm not singling a the guy out" five pixels before you single a guy out isn't arguing, really. 

No not really just didn't want to admit you were right.

There you happy. No worries.

I'm just pissed and i am tired of seeing the lack of uninspired play so this is the way of venting.

I want a friggin Cup before i die...i ain't getting younger just better looking.

Not trying to take it out on you. It my only outlet for now....i don't have a dog to kick...

1 minute ago, mkscrewy said:

missed the game as i was out fishing all night. nisky's hit didn't look intentional to the face. i'm sure that it warrants 7 games anyway. is sanheim hurt from the boarding penalty?

no, missed maybe one shift getting a butterfly.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Largely I'm agreeing with you. Dude's been objectively "not good" in this series. 

And the hardest part that maybe turns the knife in me further this is the best team we have seen the Flyers ice since the 2010 Cup run and then we have to watch them get beat by a team that isn't as talented but just seems to want it more is very hard on the spirits.

The only one on the team who has a Cup is Niskanen....so i just would expect a hungrier team overall.

I need some bourbon to settle my nerves...