• Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6
    • Flyers in 7
    • Islanders sweep
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7 (New York wins series)

This poll is closed to new votes

Flyers blow the lead.... Vigneault fails at turtling...... but Philly, nonetheless, live to fight another day and extend the series.
More time for Stamkos and Kucherov to heal up.....

GG.
I enjoyed this one.
Nice to NOT bite nails when you don't have a dog in the fight. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Once again, the O & B relied on a score via a bomb from the point being deflected.  Granted, a win is a win, but they can't score on the PP and this team's ability to score via danger zone has been limited in the series. I am glad they live to fight on, but this one was harder than it should have been.  I don't fault Carter Hart.  But our D is a marginal and our forwards aren't keeping the Isles bottled up.  

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

Once again, the O & B relied on a score via a bomb from the point being deflected.  Granted, a win is a win, but they can't score on the PP and this team's ability to score via danger zone has been limited in the series. I am glad they live to fight on, but this one was harder than it should have been.  I don't fault Carter Hart.  But our D is a marginal and our forwards aren't keeping the Isles bottled up.  

All true, but even with all that, I have to think Vigneault thought a two goal lead would be enough and didn't have his boys push for more.
I would have to look at the TOI numbers, but that showed itself in the ice time given to certain players.

Should have been top six guys down the stretch all the way.
Especially since guys like Giroux and JVR looked good with their goals.
Looked like they are finally waking up...then Vigneault goes with mostly grinders to whittle down clock.

But, as you said...a win is a win, is a win.
And when you are facing elimination, just getting it done, no matter how dubious, is all that matters.

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

All true, but even with all that, I have to think Vigneault thought a two goal lead would be enough and didn't have his boys push for more.
I would have to look at the TOI numbers, but that showed itself in the ice time given to certain players.

Should have been top six guys down the stretch all the way.
Especially since guys like Giroux and JVR looked good with their goals.
Looked like they are finally waking up...then Vigneault goes with mostly grinders to whittle down clock.

But, as you said...a win is a win, is a win.
And when you are facing elimination, just getting it done, no matter how dubious, is all that matters.

The fact that they stayed poised, didn't hang their heads and brought it in that OT was a big step for them IMHO. I can't say it enough, GREAT shot by Provorov. The Islanders are the better team, and certainly more experienced, BUT if Hart can steal Game 6...maybe New York, Trotz or no Trotz, will be nervous for the winner take all.

3 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The fact that they stayed poised, didn't hang their heads and brought it in that OT was a big step for them IMHO. I can't say it enough, GREAT shot by Provorov. The Islanders are the better team, and certainly more experienced, BUT if Hart can steal Game 6...maybe New York, Trotz or no Trotz, will be nervous for the winner take all.

That the game opened up the way it did in the 3rd certainly favored the Flyers I think.
I am sure the Isles would have preferred tighter checking...THEN, try to win with a greasy goal.

Funny thing is, this wide open play SHOULD have been in effect in the 3rd period.
Maybe then, the Isles don't even get to tie.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

It's a lesson for these young players that you have to play with the same way in the last 5, you did for the first 55 minutes. That might be slightly cliche, but the Flyers let up, and Islanders seized the opportunity. I knew the Islanders would make a push. They needed to be a bit more aggressive, their passiveness began to let them back into the game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

That the game opened up the way it did in the 3rd certainly favored the Flyers I think.
I am sure the Isles would have preferred tighter checking...THEN, try to win with a greasy goal.

Funny thing is, this wide open play SHOULD have been in effect in the 3rd period.
Maybe then, the Isles don't even get to tie.

Yeah, the Flyers went into more of a passive mode, and it almost cost them.

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hart's been the Flyers' best player...and while normally that would be a good thing, fact is, unless some forward or creative defenseman becomes Philly's best player, the Isles are gonna skate away with this.

Harts been Phillys best player most of the playoffs...it's the only reason Montreal didn't play your Bolts.

11 minutes ago, musky said:

CLEAN HIT he ducked his head look again.

You need to get your eyes checked he was leaning over he never ducked and the principal point of contact was his head. 

At least one game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, musky said:

Funny how hart never got a penelty for delay of game,but we got 1 in overtime ?

I thought this too, however I think Pageau keeping him from getting back to his crease may have hurt your cause.

21 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I can see what you mean, but Barzal was still trying to get his balance the whole time (he could have easily FALLEN on Hart if he didn't), plus, Pitlick was there blockading any exit attempts even if he did get his bearings.

Good thing he had a hold of Provorov's stick to help steady himself.

5 minutes ago, musky said:

he,s bent over at the waist thats why his head got hit.The isles are standing up straight.

I know that it's what I said it's why you don't hit a guy like in that position especially when the head is the principal point of contact.