Flyers: 2020-21 Phantoms/Prospect info/update

OccamsRazor

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can see that. Besides someone could start for Reading not sure but competition brings out the best.

In fact in my opinion leaving Sandstrom over in the SHL for the first year of his entry level contract only held him back in adjusting to the smaller ice...and why he is behind sort of. 

Time will tell but they have a full stable now. May the best man win.

At least they have a stable. 

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

At least they have a stable. 

I hope the Kraken don't claim Sandstrom...once they get a look at their slim pickings unless they need to get to the salary cap floor (praying to be true) they may pass on the guys we want them to take like JVR, Jake or Ghost....since they will also have an AHL team they may prefer to steal Felix.

It would suck to lose him before he has had a chance to even play a full season in the AHL.

And the depressing part being stuck with the guys we want them to take.

• Sad 1

@flyercanuck

After doing some research i'm not sure if Sandstrom is eligible since he is a RFA and isn't actually under contract.

I could be wrong but maybe that is a loophole the Flyer brass is using not sure so they don't lose him. I hope so.

But don't hold me to that i could be wrong about Sandstrom maybe he can still be exposed without having a contract.

54 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

@flyercanuck

After doing some research i'm not sure if Sandstrom is eligible since he is a RFA and isn't actually under contract.

I could be wrong but maybe that is a loophole the Flyer brass is using not sure so they don't lose him. I hope so.

But don't hold me to that i could be wrong about Sandstrom maybe he can still be exposed without having a contract.

They take 2 goalies I believe...I'd think they would take someone a little more of a sure thing.

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

They take 2 goalies I believe...I'd think they would take someone a little more of a sure thing.

Seems like a minimum of 3 goalies...two for the NHL it seems and one to be stashed in the AHL.

This is why i feel Chuckles didn't play him a lot trying to not get him exposed much. Here is hoping there are better choices for them to take.

He will be offered up per the rules it seems after he is made a qualifying offer...

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

At least twenty of the thirty players selected by Seattle have to be under contract for the 2021–22 season, and they are required to select a minimum of fourteen forwards, nine defencemen and three goaltenders.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 8:24 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I need to own up to a mistake.  I listed Chaz Lucius as I've if the late year born players. I double and triple checked and it was a mistake on my end. Lucius just turned 18 and he's going to be going to the University of Minnesota this fall. He's also a goal scoring center and he can shoot. And not just shoot,  but we're talking picking spots with pinpoint accuracy. If McTavish is gone before 13, then Fletcher and Flahr better be racing up to the podium to announce this pick. However, something tells me that they're going to do something incredibly stupid and move this pick as part of a package for Seth Jones and Patrick Laine. 

Ok so i have on a slow sunday caught up with a lot of the scouting that is out there.

And i know we have joked he is from Minnesota which to me i could care less but from what i am finding he seems to be a bigger grittier Cole Caulfield.

Which is what the Flyers still need more goal scorers and guys who will shoot. So as of right now i don't have a problem with this if he is the guy they end up with. He is a center with some ok size 6-0 185 with room to grow.

So right now i have listed as guys who can snipe:

Farabee

Allison

Foerster

Brink 

Lucius

So if it were to be they can always use more guys who can put goals on the board.

And of course depending on who they passed up we could always hate it in a few years.

But i would be shocked if they trade this pick to help the team more in the now.

We'll see.

35 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Ok so i have on a slow sunday caught up with a lot of the scouting that is out there.

And i know we have joked he is from Minnesota which to me i could care less but from what i am finding he seems to be a bigger grittier Cole Caulfield.

Which is what the Flyers still need more goal scorers and guys who will shoot. So as of right now i don't have a problem with this if he is the guy they end up with. He is a center with some ok size 6-0 185 with room to grow.

So right now i have listed as guys who can snipe:

Farabee

Allison

Foerster

Brink 

Lucius

So if it were to be they can always use more guys who can put goals on the board.

And of course depending on who they passed up we could always hate it in a few years.

But i would be shocked if they trade this pick to help the team more in the now.

We'll see.

I'm just looking at the asking price of what it will cost to acquire a Jones type player and it's excessive. And it's not just Jones. The Flyers also have a bloated salary cap situation and they need to find a way (desperately I might add) to shed a contract or two to get some breathing room.

So yeah, I'm not sure what kind of moves the Flyers will be able to make, but I digress. I love the potential selection of Lucius, especially because he'll be going to a noted hockey program. Bob Motzko is one of the better NCAA coaches in the game and any 'flaws' in Lucius's game, they'll be fixed. Not only that, but Lucius is one of the younger players available in the draft this year, so you can bet that Motzko will want to get to work right away in getting Lucius up to speed.

I know people rag on the Minnesota thing, but I want the best talent and there's been A LOT of good talent coming out of the USNTDP. While I get that there are a number of people who are upset that the Flyers took Cam York over Cole Caufield, what they should be marveling at is not only did the Flyers manage to draft a potential top pairing defenseman who can carry the play, but they also managed to get a fearless goal scoring winger in the second in Bobby Brink. His skating is a work in progress, but it's gotten better and he'll be back at Denver to continue working on his skating. I'm comfortable with that.

And let's not forget that Tyson Foerster was supposed to have skating issues and it has been corrected and he's now skating well. So, skating isn't really an issue for me because it's something that can be corrected (Lindblom also suffered from skating issues). So yeah, if Lucius is the guy, I'm good with that. You can fix and correct skating issues, but you can't teach those goal scoring hands and he can do that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

While I get that there are a number of people who are upset that the Flyers took Cam York over Cole Caufield

I wasn't one. No one his size has ever been drafted that high in the NHL draft. It is a risky move.

And yes to get York and Brink a Caulfeild comparison i have seen in a few reports once he works on his skating i'm good with the trade back.

11 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

And let's not forget that Tyson Foerster was supposed to have skating issues and it has been corrected and he's now skating well.

I remember that to but have also seen some say he is a T.J. Oshie second coming and what's not to like about that.

13 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

So yeah, if Lucius is the guy, I'm good with that. You can fix and correct skating issues, but you can't teach those goal scoring hands and he can do that.

I agree.

13 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

And it's not just Jones. The Flyers also have a bloated salary cap situation and they need to find a way (desperately I might add) to shed a contract or two to get some breathing room.

I'm not liking Jones to the Flyers is seen last night and posted whispers of Poile and the Flyer may reconvene the trade conversations for Ryan Ellis now that they know what draft position they are drafting from.

So could a Ghost and a 1st or even Patrick get that rolling??? Ellis has 6 years left at 6.25 mill to go on his contract. Would that be better than going all in on a Hamilton??? If the Canes even let him test the market they have close to 28 mill in cap space.

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wasn't one. No one his size has ever been drafted that high in the NHL draft. It is a risky move.

And yes to get York and Brink a Caulfeild comparison i have seen in a few reports once he works on his skating i'm good with the trade back.

I remember that to but have also seen some say he is a T.J. Oshie second coming and what's not to like about that.

I agree.

I'm not liking Jones to the Flyers is seen last night and posted whispers of Poile and the Flyer may reconvene the trade conversations for Ryan Ellis now that they know what draft position they are drafting from.

So could a Ghost and a 1st or even Patrick get that rolling??? Ellis has 6 years left at 6.25 mill to go on his contract. Would that be better than going all in on a Hamilton??? If the Canes even let him test the market they have close to 28 mill in cap space.

Honestly, if the Flyers are looking at Ryan Ellis, I'd be content with Ghost, Patrick, and a 2nd. No to a first. Absolutely not. 

I'd love Ellis because he reminds me so much of Kimmo Timonen. Having that kind of defender playing alongside Provorov is invaluable.  Plus, having that kind of defender in general in the lineup is invaluable. 

Hell, I'd consider offering up Sanheim instead of Gostisbehere if it meant not paying with the first for Ellis. York, Zamula and Hogberg are all waiting in Lehigh Valley,  so I'd have no problems moving Sanheim if it meant they got a spot. 

On 5/23/2021 at 12:37 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's garbage. Just when you think they have an opportunity to change the culture, it's just more of the same old garbage. I swear, the Flyers are becoming the NHL version of the Washington Football Team prior to Ron Rivera taking over. I've never seen such incompetence shown with regards to running things. Fletcher is a **** and needs to be fired. They can send Vigneault along with him. 

Flyers make it official: Ian Laperriere is the new head coach of the Phantoms.

Well it's official now....never heard of any other candidates being mentioned.

Oh well hopefully now they can teach the same systems on the both clubs now.

If not then I have to ask what are we doing here folks?

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree.

I wouldn’t want a 30 year old high mileage defenseman with 6 years left on his contract. Go after Hamilton and then you don’t have to give up anything.

6 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I wouldn’t want a 30 year old high mileage defenseman with 6 years left on his contract. Go after Hamilton and then you don’t have to give up anything.

Ellis might be decent in the near term, but what an albatross later.    I lean toward what you're saying on Ellis.    I don't think I go for Hamilton, either, but I'd entertain it.      Ellis is actually tempting, but ultimately I pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Ellis might be decent in the near term, but what an albatross later.    I lean toward what you're saying on Ellis.    I don't think I go for Hamilton, either, but I'd entertain it.      Ellis is actually tempting, but ultimately I pass.

What about Montour or Savard, are they more defensively sound than Hamilton and are they legit first pair defenseman or will they collapse under the responsibility. I hope we can fill the need on defense without giving up the assets it would take for a guy like Jones. What about trading for Ristolainen on Buffalo, I know he was supposedly on his way out of Buffalo and he is still young and wouldn’t cost as much as Jones. When you weigh it all out, I would rather not trade good assets for an older defenseman , it’s better to trade for a young guy or sign a FA.

59 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

What about Montour or Savard, are they more defensively sound than Hamilton and are they legit first pair defenseman or will they collapse under the responsibility. I hope we can fill the need on defense without giving up the assets it would take for a guy like Jones. What about trading for Ristolainen on Buffalo, I know he was supposedly on his way out of Buffalo and he is still young and wouldn’t cost as much as Jones. When you weigh it all out, I would rather not trade good assets for an older defenseman , it’s better to trade for a young guy or sign a FA.

Yeah, I'm with you on the older defenseman.   Like you, I'm shy of the length and amount of the contract more than the currently 30.   If it was the same player, same amount,  but only 2-3 remaining years, I'd strongly consider.   Slightly less amount and only 2-3 years, then it's a no-brainer.

I don't have anything particular against Montour.   He's 27; he isn't terribly expensive and I don't think gets a huge pay raise (though probably lands in the $5.x million); and can play the right side.   He checks all those boxes.   But honestly, I don't think he moves any needles.   If I'm moving assets -- either people or cash -- I want someone who has won a playoff round in their career (he did as a "ride along" rookie but has played on utter crap since).  That won't be easy and there are limited choices, but that's what I would like to see.    

That rules out Savard, as well.  I mean, if Tampa wins this year he would at least check the "he's won" box.   And maybe that's enough.  But it's not like he's the straw that stirs the drink there.   He's a deadline-filler who came from Columbus.   If there's a flagship team of "no playoff experience," he's it.  That's not his fault, necessarily, and Tampa made sense because they already have this box checked by their entire roster.    

For me, the "top pair" criteria is secondary to this need.   I'd like to see an acquisition that meets this criteria in the top-9 forward group as well.  Ideally, such a defenseman would fit somewhere in the top 4.   It doesn't do a lot toward leadership if such a player is simply along for the ride in the bottom pair.

By the way, Jones doesn't fill that.  And I'm not sure he's top pair.  I suspect he may have jumped the shark.    He also may be the poster child for "needs a change."    But I'm struggling to come up with an example that a change TO Philly helped any player.   You got anything?     Same with Risto.   He'd be another Ghost/Gus that can add some offense but only knows defense as the way you refer to a structure between yards.   "It's over by dee fence."

Hamilton is interesting.  We're not giving up players, obviously.   He checks the right side and the top four criteria.   But while some moderate success in Carolina as far as winning a series, yeah, I'm not sure.    I'd entertain Hamilton depending upon the amount and term.   I think are both more than I'm willing to pay.   

Of your list, for me I'd talk about Hamilton, Savard, and Montour.  But I'm still looking for other options.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I don't think he leaves the Canes.

They will back the brinks truck to keep him. Besides he is 28 and Ellis is 30. Ellis is more than likely 2 mill cheaper too.

Could always just add Savard too if they could move Ghost too. Or at least Montour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

What about Montour or Savard, are they more defensively sound than Hamilton and are they legit first pair defenseman or will they collapse under the responsibility.

It is possible to get both maybe if they move some salary out. All they would require are contracts.

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm moving assets -- either people or cash -- I want someone who has won a playoff round in their career

Colton Parayko. Checks all the boxes.

They might as well move him for something because they will lose him in the expansion draft they already have 3 D men they need to move.

Otherwise if you want a UFA that has Cup experience and isn't old there aren't any available to sign.

So it looks like maybe a trade but myself i would take a roll on Savard at least.

• Like 1

Hey folks,  I'm going to post something a little later on this and it's probably going to be my part post for the next little while. Had a doctor's appointment today and was told that I have an amyloid deposit build up.  For those who don't know, that's an early sign of early onset dementia/Alzheimer's. Not even 50 yet. Anyways,  I'll do up a long fitting article and then I'm calling it a day. 

• Sad 4

On 6/4/2021 at 10:13 AM, flyercanuck said:

I think a veteran would be a better idea. At least until these guys get a few years under their belt. Hart needs someone he can lean on when he has to...not be the leanee.

Well there goes one of the horses leaving the stable....

:bonkingheadonwall:

34 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Hey folks,  I'm going to post something a little later on this and it's probably going to be my part post for the next little while. Had a doctor's appointment today and was told that I have an amyloid deposit build up.  For those who don't know, that's an early sign of early onset dementia/Alzheimer's. Not even 50 yet. Anyways,  I'll do up a long fitting article and then I'm calling it a day. 

This really saddens me.   I think you and I probably disagree a bit more than we agree, but I've always respected the hell out of you as a poster and you've been nothing but respectful while disagreeing.   And you back it up with reasoned argument, which I've truly always appreciated.

I'm hoping this doesn't mean it's an immediate thing.  I've had front-row seats for two parents who were older than you are now, but were still early onset.   They JUST released a new medication for it, so hopefully progress continues.   I wish you the very best.

• Like 3

Spending a lot on a D-man scares me.  Our track record with this and long-term has not been good.  If we are in a flat cap era for 2-3 years, there's even more room for concern.  

Hopefully, we lose one of our albatrosses during expansion. If not, we know that in two years or so the worst is over.  Bringing in a 30+ D-man on big money...bad karma. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I am sorry to hear this bro. I have always enjoyed our conversations about hockey and the Flyers.

But this is a bigger issue and pray for your health and will have your in my thoughts as you take time to deal with your health.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Bringing in a 30+ D-man on big money...bad karma. 

Not who you are referring to so i can't properly address this.

There are some worse ways to go when you look at the recent signings. Ellis 6.25 doesn't look that bad.

https://www.capfriendly.com/signings/all/standard/defense/1-15/4500000-13500000