Flyers: 2020-21 Phantoms/Prospect info/update

OccamsRazor

Flyers prospect and captain Noah Cates on UMD Bulldogs moves on after winning the NCAA longest tournament ever.

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/hockey/6957044-UMD-mens-hockey-Bulldogs-beat-North-Dakota-in-longest-NCAA-tournament-game-ever-to-reach-fourth-straight-Frozen-Four

Keep it rolling.

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

anyone see this over the weekend?

Yes.

Scroll back a page.

Scott Laughton's possible replacement.

A nice find for a 5th round pick.

Allison had a good weekend too.

As well as Alex Lyon after not starting a game in a full calender year.

• Like 1

Here's the Flyers luck this season. The kid  on the Michigan team with COVID-19, that's gotta be York.

Oh, he's not going to just get a little cold, he's going full on COVID pneumonia  with the lingering inflammatory effects on his heart.

There is no way, he's just, "nope didn't get it, where do I sign? and is there an apartment in Allentown for me?" - none

Edited by mojo1917

5 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Hershey Bears vs Lehigh Valley Phantoms tonight at 7pm eastern on the NHL Network for those who are interested.

Hershey is really my hometown rink.

Grew up with the Bears at the Park Arena.

The rivalry with the Pens and Phantoms is really fun.

My entire family misses going to the Giant Center- soon, hockey in person , soon.

51 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Transaction: LW Matt Strome has been assigned to the Greenville (SC) Swamp Rabbits of the ECHL.

I don't know.  Swamp Rabbits are the real deal.  Been a good team for a while now.   Probably give the Flyers a good fight at this point.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I don't know.  Swamp Rabbits are the real deal.  Been a good team for a while now.   Probably give the Flyers a good fight at this point.

Yeah but when a 22 year old 4th round prospect can't crack your AHL roster that is not very encouraging news.

So i am stamping him BUST!!! Throw him on the Laberge and Rubtsov pile.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Just now, Digityman said:

We need Isaac to step on the gas.   15pts in 53gms last year isn't getting it done. 

I was hoping he would be that big winger they've been searching for.

Exactly it is why it is so hard projecting kid who tower over the other kids.

You get to the AHL and well you need to have other tools in your tool box besides being bigger than everyone else.

And just because you are big doesn't mean you are physical and know how to use your size see Travis Sanheim and Phil Myers.

Ratty is 22 years old as well and is quickly headed towards the Laberge/Rubtsov bust pile in my eyes.

Right now the Allisons and Laczynskis have passed the kid by in their first year of AHL play.

Not a good sign.

Didn't Ratcliffe start this season with a collapsed lung?

Also, didn't he miss some time last year due to injury?

I saw him play in Hershey in December of 2019, he didn't look like anything special. He had 2 or 3 shifts where his line stood out, what I saw looked like a lot of trying to get used to his frame. I think he grew taller in that off-season, he looked like he didn't trust his body.

I mean sure, he's not cracking the NHL roster this year, but jeez-um people a little patience maybe?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Didn't Ratcliffe start this season with a collapsed lung?

Also, didn't he miss some time last year due to injury?

I saw him play in Hershey in December of 2019, he didn't look like anything special. He had 2 or 3 shifts where his line stood out, what I saw looked like a lot of trying to get used to his frame. I think he grew taller in that off-season, he looked like he didn't trust his body.

I mean sure, he's not cracking the NHL roster this year, but jeez-um people a little patience maybe?

Yes and at 6-6 200 is not enough.

Maybe he is a hard gainer.

It does take some of these bigger kid time to adjust.

I'm not given up on him just as of yet.

But by next year his third and last of his entry level he needs to be pushing for a Cup of coffee on the Flyers at the very least.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but when a 22 year old 4th round prospect can't crack your AHL roster that is not very encouraging news.

So i am stamping him BUST!!! Throw him on the Laberge and Rubtsov pile.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Strome is actually very talented, and has good size, and skill, check out his scouting report... A big, skilled winger that plays a complete and consistent game. Battles hard for puck possession and is relentless on both the power play and penalty kill. Plays a hard-nosed game and uses his size to establish his presence around the net. Has good hands, an accurate shot, and zero compromise hockey sense. His skating and overall balance off the rush and in-transition is a work in progress that is continuing to get better by the day. That being said, his vision is excellent and his offensive talent is apparent; he is able to play at a fast pace. Being able to keep up is a big part of that, and, moving forward, he has the potential to develop into a strong two-way winger that is hard to play against and can be relied on in all situations. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016

his problem is skating, which they are working on with him. Both his brothers were high first round draft picks and both were traded multiple times and sent to the minors , they both took a few years to develop, it seems to run in the family. Ryan Strome has 33 points in 35 games for NYR and Dylan has 10 pts in 25 games for CHI. Matthew is the biggest and strongest of all the brothers. So since we have lots of good players on the Phantoms at least he will get more playing time now. Hopefully he will be a late bloomer. If he improves the skating , at worst we could have a big hardworking winger for the third or fourth line down the road.

• Good Post 1

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes and at 6-6 200 is not enough.

Maybe he is a hard gainer.

It does take some of these bigger kid time to adjust.

I'm not given up on him just as of yet.

But by next year his third and last of his entry level he needs to be pushing for a Cup of coffee on the Flyers at the very least.

Ratcliffe,Zamula and Sanheim need to get with Joe Weider and hit the damn gym.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Right now the Allisons and Laczynskis have passed the kid by in their first year of AHL play.

Not a good sign.

So you have patience for 23 year old Allison (who lets face it was looking like a Rubstov/Laberge) and Laczynski (who also had his struggles), but not 22 year old Ratcliffe who's 6'6' and we all know those guys take way longer than normal people?  :whaaa?:  Come on OR! Patience my dude!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

So you have patience for 23 year old Allison (who lets face it was looking like a Rubstov/Laberge) and Laczynski (who also had his struggles)

Yes it's their first year of pro hockey. TL has 6 goals 10 points in 13 games.

Allison has 3 goals 6 points in 5 games and are playing damn good.

Ratcliffe has zero goals and -6 in 9 games.

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

22 year old Ratcliffe who's 6'6' and we all know those guys take way longer than normal people?

I said i'm not giving up on him you must skimmed over that part but he needs to pick it up other kids will be coming in and trying to take his minutes away.

And my patience is running thin i am tired of being two years away from being two years away.

How come my 50th birthday isn't two years away from being two years away???

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes it's their first year of pro hockey. TL has 6 goals 10 points in 13 games.

Allison has 3 goals 6 points in 5 games and are playing damn good.

Ratcliffe has zero goals and -6 in 9 games.

I said i'm not giving up on him you must skimmed over that part but he needs to pick it up other kids will be coming in and trying to take his minutes away.

And my patience is running thin i am tired of being two years away from being two years away.

How come my 50th birthday isn't two years away from being two years away???

Ratcliffe had a collapsed lung this year in camp and COVID ruined last seasons development of lots of players. We gotta give him time, remember John Leclair was a throw in for the Desjardin for Recchi trade and Montreal never thought he would be a big goal scorer. I do agree that next season he has to turn it up a few notches.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have no clue as to why you would say that.

Snider roll over in his grave after this.

What an embarrassment, Sanheim was dwarf tossed by a dwarf. Sanheim is a 98lb weakling stuck in a 6ft 3 body.  Get him in the gym . At least we have some real men like Alison, Foerester,Laszynski and Wisdom all playing great in their first year in the AHL. You gotta figure Allison and Laszynski both should make the team next year and Wisdom and Foerester might need another half a season in the AHL. This is gonna be an instant infusion of skill and toughness to this team. The only problem is we have to unload some underachievers and Cap $$, so they can join the team. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Konecny traded for a good defenseman since all these young guys are right handed and can take over the right wing spots. Of course Vorajoke is the first one we need to dump.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Get him in the gym . 

Need to supply him with some GEAR or SARMs to speed this process up he seems to need some help in this area.

Wisdom and Foerester might need another half a season in the AHL.

I hope things get back to normal or closer to it so they can play in juniors next year.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Konecny traded for a good defenseman since all these young guys are right handed and can take over the right wing spots.

Since they are besties he and Patrick would make a very nice trade package...

On 3/31/2021 at 4:36 PM, RonJeremy said:

Ratcliffe had a collapsed lung this year in camp and COVID ruined last seasons development of lots of players.

We'll see.

Imagine they could've had Jason Robertson. But that would require scouts.

and big body who isn't afraid to go to the net...and a nice shot.

...fingers crossed...