Wilson....yet again.

flyercanuck

13 hours ago, pilldoc said:

I can think of a dozen tough guys in NHL history who I would love to see pound Wilson to the ice ......

Tie Domi

Georges Laraque

Dave 'Tiger' Williams

Joe Kocur

Stu Grimson

Marty McSorley

Donald Brashear

Gino Odjick

Basil McRae

Rob Ray

Tony Twist

Dave Brown

Most on this list span the 80's and 90's....

The NHL needs to remove the Instigator Rule and the players policy themselves again.  I understand the NHL does not want donnybrooks of yesteryear but this crap like Wilson pulls needs to stop .....

Great idea. Problem is....Wilson fights, too. I'm not saying he'd come close to beating any of those guys...but he'd drop the gloves. He's 6'4 and 220 lbs.  The only way to really stop a guy like Wilson is to hit him where it hurts....games and money. 7 games for this with his history is clearly not enough. 

• Like 1

I agree that Wilson should be done for the year, with the stipulation that on his 1st offence next season, cuz we all know he'll do it again, that he's suspended for the whole season.  Don't need him in the league.

But what about Vrana?  He cross checks Carlo twice to the back of the head as he is going down, obviously in distress!  And what about Ovechkin 'spearing' Frederic??

$5000 fine??? C'mon NHL!

Get your heads out of the sand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hockeyfan53 said:

I agree that Wilson should be done for the year, with the stipulation that on his 1st offence next season, cuz we all know he'll do it again, that he's suspended for the whole season.  Don't need him in the league.

But what about Vrana?  He cross checks Carlo twice to the back of the head as he is going down, obviously in distress!  And what about Ovechkin 'spearing' Frederic??

$5000 fine??? C'mon NHL!

Get your heads out of the sand.

The Cold War is over! Canadiens fans are siding with the Bruins...or is this a sign of the Apocalypse? BTW, you're not wrong but what Wilson did is more egregious AND he has a reputation for this crap.

From the NHL ...

"What separates this hit from others is the direct and significant contact to a defenseless player's face and head, causing a violent impact with the glass," the league said in a statement. "This is a player with a substantial disciplinary record taking advantage of an opponent who is in a defenseless position and doing so with significant force."

Then by the very statement listed above he deserves more than 7 games.  In a shorten season to make a statement the suspension should be at 14 games.

Carlo could miss significant time here .....

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31021865/boston-bruins-brandon-carlo-feeling-better-week-week-coach-bruce-cassidy-says

The Caps have ~30 games to play (33 if I counted correctly), to make this suspension mean anything then he should miss at least 15-20 games, especially, like I mentioned above, in a shortened season such as this year.  

Another incident this year and he should be finished and that includes the playoffs if the Caps make it.  If the NHL refuses to remove the Instigator Penalty then make the suspensions really mean something.  And, I'm not sure if the NHL can legally allow this, but take away draft picks from the Capitals.  

I'm all for good clean hits, but the NHL has no room for this crap.

• Like 2

I was a guy who advocated for both the bruins and the flames to draft wilson in his draft year, he's got the tools, he can hit, fight, and score...you have to KNOW when he's on the ice.

That said, his history of garbage hits like the one he landed on Carlo has got to go...like the announcer said, he hit hit up high, and came a LONG WAY to do it, (imo) it was a predatory hit...should have been 10 games.

Drop the instigator rule, and alot of these hits go away....

• Like 2

Despite all of Wilson's skills he has one major flaw. Either he saw what he was doing here, and didn't have any kind of respect for other players. Or he didn't saw what he was doing, that is, he didn't have the situational awareness needed to play the hard-nosed style he plays. No respect whatsoever --> out you go. Hard hits with no grip on what's going to follow --> out you go. They should protect the game from idiots that endanger others. And to be effective with players like Wilson the punishment should be quite out of proportion to the deed. It would be right for the NHL and good for the game to just kick these kind of players out.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 6:01 PM, Hockeyfan53 said:

But what about Vrana?  He cross checks Carlo twice to the back of the head as he is going down, obviously in distress! 

Thanks, you beat me to it! Seeing that made me feel very uncomfortable. He should get something for that, too...

• Like 1