Game 36: Flyers vs. Isles 04/03/2021 7:00 pm

I have gotten lazy and more of uninspired to make a game thread.

So here i will help Howie out who has done the thread making so here we go.

I think this is a must win game the first of a few. Unless this season is to be written off.

Looks like Ghost may be back in. Gus should never wear the orange and black again.

Not sure on the odds i'm not a gambling man but i would expect the Isles to be favor vs this dumpster fire on skates.

No seriously.

https://morning-skate.com/2021/04/01/the-flyers-are-an-absolute-dumpster-fire/

Let's go Flyers.

Buffalo Trace is sponsoring this thread. My drink of choice tonight.

A 1 liter bottle of Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Enjoy. Damn got the day wrong. I thought it was tonight. Well i will enjoy a drink regardless.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Haha 2

Oh and i forget to add i noticed Laczynski was centering the 4th line. Will he get the start??

Raffl - Laczynski-NAK

Very interested to see them.

And no Oskar. I'm good with let the kid work on his game.

No word who is in net....i hope Hart is ready....Elliott was not very inspiring last game.

• OccamsRazor changed the title to Game 36: Flyers vs. Isles 04/03/2021 7:00 pm

Also conflicting reports on the line up...

I prefer this one with Giroux on the 3rd line instead of the 2nd.

But Patrick to go from scratched to 2nd line RW is strange no doubt. However they have a chance with NO Gus.

3 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

the Flyers have had 2 days to sit and think about what they did so I'm predicting W.

Hart is back in the saddle too.

So it would be huge to get this kid back playing like we know he can.

It be nice if his team showed up for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hart is back in the saddle too.

So it would be huge to get this kid back playing like we know he can.

It be nice if his team showed up for him.

Greetings:

First, thanks to Occ for relieving me of thread duty.  

Next, we are fairly significant underdogs:

https://www.docsports.com/free-picks/nhl-hockey/2021/philadelphia-flyers-vs-new-york-islanders-prediction-4-3-2021-nhl-pick-tips-and-odds.html

That is no surprise given our bad play.  It is Varlamov in goal for the Isles, who has been darn good.  Hopefully, Hart doesn't come unglued with an inept defense.  As for Ghost--hope he scores a game winner.

Sadly, I think this is a lost season for the squad.  The best part of this game is giving the youngins a chance to show something.  Shelving Lindblom makes me sad too.  He has fought and won against a potential killer--you hope he returns to old form for his sake and the team. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

First, thanks to Occ for relieving me of thread duty.  

It was an honor i hope i did you proud...

...but if it isn't a win well the least of my worries.

13 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Hopefully, Hart doesn't come unglued with an inept defense.  As for Ghost--hope he scores a game winner.

I hope they stand tall don't stray from your area and man and most of all don't let guys set up right in his living room.

Deploy Sam to keep them at bay. He can eat minutes if you let him and he plays better the more he plays.

Myers and Sanheim can watch him and learn how to use their size to their advantage.

Plus i want to see if Sam can get better.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Me too. I hope he's not exposed as a lumbering giant who gets beat right and left. He didn't look out-of-place slow the few times I've seen him play. He's overcome so much he deserves a long look before deciding if he's NHL caliber.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is AV going to healthy scratch Konecny for tonight's game i have seen it posted he may. 

He deserves it. Maybe that's harsh but he looks like a shell of his former self. Far from the only one but he deserves it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

He deserves it.

Maybe but i am sorry but how can you NOT scratch Jake Voracek with his countless turnovers and floating back to pretend to back check i have seen time and time again and then single out TK is my only problem with it.

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope they stand tall don't stray from your area and man and most of all don't let guys set up right in his living room.

Deploy Sam to keep them at bay. He can eat minutes if you let him and he plays better the more he plays.

Myers and Sanheim can watch him and learn how to use their size to their advantage.

this is probably a silly comparison, but forgive me, I'm an idiot. I remember one season where the Flyers were scrambling, losing and playing soft. They made a move to bring in PJ Stock of all people. He starts fighting and the team starts playing tougher. It wasn't a turn around, but it got them moving in the right direction.

Morin may have his struggles and weak points, but physicality is not one. The team needs that. He can bring that. At this point use every possible advantage they have

7-1 Islanders, tonight. Nothing has changed, and rearranging the deck chairs on The Flyertanic, isn't going to help. Management needs to be embarrassed enough to break this team, the hell up.

20 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Morin may have his struggles and weak points, but physicality is not one. The team needs that. He can bring that. At this point use every possible advantage they have

Exactly.

He needs to play and play some good minutes. In fact his best years in the AHL (i know har to remember due to the injuries - from just bad luck ) but his first two years he played a lot of big minutes and play very well in fact his first two years he didn't miss a game the only two he did miss was due to a suspension.

Kid has some very good wheels out there for his size. So yes let him go through his rough patches while playing to work on his game.

There will be times out there he will get out of position a little just live with it and coach him up when he gets back to the bench. But he has the tools to be able to add a presence they need in the lineup for cheap.

And i think if you can find him a better partner (not meant to knock Ghost) but some who can teach him too while out there he may get much better. I know there is still a lot to be desired in Sanheim and Myers game too so if i have to watch these two struggle while playing why not let Sam do the same.

Especially if they aren't going to make the playoffs the kids can still get the playing time they need.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly.

He needs to play and play some good minutes. In fact his best years in the AHL (i know har to remember due to the injuries - from just bad luck ) but his first two years he played a lot of big minutes and play very well in fact his first two years he didn't miss a game the only two he did miss was due to a suspension.

Kid has some very good wheels out there for his size. So yes let him go through his rough patches while playing to work on his game.

There will be times out there he will get out of position a little just live with it and coach him up when he gets back to the bench. But he has the tools to be able to add a presence they need in the lineup for cheap.

And i think if you can find him a better partner (not meant to knock Ghost) but some who can teach him too while out there he may get much better. I know there is still a lot to be desired in Sanheim and Myers game too so if i have to watch these two struggle while playing why not let Sam do the same.

Especially if they aren't going to make the playoffs the kids can still get the playing time they need.

They certainly need a player like that. The challenge (one of several) will be his discipline, at the NHL level.

Edited by FD19372

7 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

7-1 Islanders, tonight. Nothing has changed, and rearranging the deck chairs on The Flyertanic, isn't going to help. Management needs to be embarrassed enough to break this team, the hell up.

I hope you're wrong. I am tired of this. And do you really think it will force them to break it up over losing to the Isles??

I'm thinking if losing to the Sabres the way they lost other night should have been the straw that broke the camel's back and yet here we are....

Just now, FD19372 said:

They certainly need a player like that. The challenge (one of several) will be his discipline, at the NHL level).

It is why he needs to play. Can't work on it in the press box making popcorn.

Play him and live with his errors with the chance that he may actually get better.

I'm not saying he will but i am damn tired of speculation...f**k that play the damn man.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope you're wrong. I am tired of this. And do you really think it will force them to break it up over losing to the Isles??

I'm thinking if losing to the Sabres the way they lost other night should have been the straw that broke the camel's back and yet here we are....

I hope I'm wrong, and in a sad way, I hope I'm not. Do we really think this a good, or watchable team? I don't. Something needs to pull Holmgren away from his abacus, and trade a popular player out of here. Maybe Comcrap will start getting tired of it too, someday soon. Here's to hoping.:beer:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It is why he needs to play. Can't work on it in the press box making popcorn.

Play him and live with his errors with the chance that he may actually get better.

I'm not saying he will but i am damn tired of speculation...f**k that play the damn man.

You cant teach 6'7 , 227 , with snarl. Its either there or it isnt. So teach him how to be a good defender and hope injuries dont derail him again

• Good Post 1

Maybe this team really does miss...some..of the impulsiveness of Ed Snider. He held players accountable for not achieving up to his standard, although he was also the same guy who traded for burned out 39 year olds, as well, at times. I agree with the majority of this article. A good one here.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2021/4/1/22353491/i-miss-when-underachieving-was-not-accepted-flyers-lost-to-the-sabres-life-is-pain

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe but i am sorry but how can you NOT scratch Jake Voracek with his countless turnovers and floating back to pretend to back check i have seen time and time again and then single out TK is my only problem with it.

See I read this as an opinion, perfectly valid and I respect it. I just don't see Voracek as "glass half-empty" the way you do. To me his strengths outweigh his weaknesses. I see the same crap you do - I yell at him the most besides Hayes - but I also see the really great plays he makes (which seem to pass unnoticed around here).

I get it. He's the whipping boy, him and the captain. When a team sucks this bad all bets are off and everyone is fair game. But I don't think AV puts him, Giroux and Couturier out there in the final frame because he hates youth or some such nonsense. He knows those 3 give him the best chance at scoring some goals.

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

To me his strengths outweigh his weaknesses.

He's a -7 this year. He was a -16 in 2018-19, and a -24 in 2016-17. One reason of many, to hate Jake. One could argue that is a reflection of the line he's on. It also could reflect what a half-engaged flake he is, for that much money, on this team. I think the latter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I just don't see Voracek as "glass half-empty" the way you do. To me his strengths outweigh his weaknesses. I see the same crap you do - I yell at him the most besides Hayes - but I also see the really great plays he makes (which seem to pass unnoticed around here).

can you elaborate, what strengths in particular? Which do we see more, strengths or weaknesses? How many "really great plays" does he make that lead to wins or turn the gme around? How many sloppy turnovers, poor efforts, and weak backchecks have led to losses or bad goals?

Remember, we just had an abysmal March

• Good Post 2

26 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

See I read this as an opinion, perfectly valid and I respect it. I just don't see Voracek as "glass half-empty" the way you do. To me his strengths outweigh his weaknesses. I see the same crap you do - I yell at him the most besides Hayes - but I also see the really great plays he makes (which seem to pass unnoticed around here).

I get it. He's the whipping boy, him and the captain. When a team sucks this bad all bets are off and everyone is fair game. But I don't think AV puts him, Giroux and Couturier out there in the final frame because he hates youth or some such nonsense. He knows those 3 give him the best chance at scoring some goals.

Are you Paul Holmgren? If so...Welcome To The Party Pal Die Hard GIFs | Tenor