LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2016-2017

pilldoc

11 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

wow.... from rags to riches and to go along with our plethora of defensive prospects...I say Hexy has done quite well restocking the cupboard. :5726b5fbef6cc_pyramiddance:

Org deep in net....CHECK

Org deep in quality D-men...CHECK

The only thing left to do is add quality goal scoring forwards.....something the Flyers have shown they are VERY proficient at. For the first time that I can remember, I hold GREAT expectations for last years 2nd round pick Aube-Kubel and this years.....Pascal Leberge and Carter Hart. At least on the surface, these kids seem legit scoring options. Hexy has done a phenomenal job.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#1 Lyons - Lyon led the nation in goals-against average (1.64) last season and was tied for second in save percentage (.936),

#2 Stolarz - AHL Allstar

#3 Merrick Madsen - nominated for the Mike Richter award as the most outstanding goaltender in NCAA men’s hockey

#4 Felix Sandstrom -  

#5 Carter Hart - 2015-16 CHL Goaltender Of The Year.

#6 Matej Tomek -  NAHL Goaltender of the Year and earned All-NAHL Team honors after going 24-7-2 with a 1.83 goals against average for the Topeka RoadRunners in 2015

#7 Ivan Fedotov - KHL this year, including a 1.84 GAA and .916 save percentage in 5 playoff games

That is some impressive accomplishments for these prospects.  Like was mentioned earlier, they still have to prove themselves on the ice at the AHL and NHL level, but I am really excited to see how Hexy has turned a weakness into a strength.

5 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Org deep in net....CHECK

Org deep in quality D-men...CHECK

The only thing left to do is add quality goal scoring forwards.....something the Flyers have shown they are VERY proficient at. For the first time that I can remember, I hold GREAT expectations for last years 2nd round pick Aube-Kubel and this years.....Pascal Leberge and Carter Hart. At least on the surface, these kids seem legit scoring options. Hexy has done a phenomenal job.

Can't agree with you anymore!  For the first time in a very long time this team is progressing towards a defined direction and goal.  No more over the hill, stab in the dark FA signings.  No more giving away 2nd and 3rd round picks like Halloween candy.  Unloading horrendous contracts that was given out by his predecessor. Stocking the Phantoms with quality depth ..... Like you I am excited about the future of this team.  Yeah it still may take another 2-3 years and for that we the faithful fan base still needs to be patient. However the critical foundation is finally being built correctly.

Totally agree with you...... "Hexy has done a phenomenal job."

18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

wow.... from rags to riches and to go along with our plethora of defensive prospects...I say Hexy has done quite well restocking the cupboard. :5726b5fbef6cc_pyramiddance:

Hextall has taken this teams prospect pool from one of the leagues worst to probably one of the top 5.

I'd say Philly is as deep as anyone at goaltending AND defence (the two hardest positions to fill) and we also have Konecny/Rubstov/Laberge/Aube-Kubel/Fazleev/Lindblom/Leier etc at forward.

And he's done that without picking in the top 5 each year...which I'd guarantee is how the other teams ahead of Philly got there.

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd say Philly is as deep as anyone at goaltending AND defence (the two hardest positions to fill) and we also have Konecny/Rubstov/Laberge/Aube-Kubel/Fazleev/Lindblom/Leier/Allison etc at forward.

I completely agree.

But after everything i have researched i have to throw Allison in there.

It will be some time before we know for sure...but you can mark me down right now as a guy who says this kid is going to be a great power forward for the Flyers in 4-5 years.

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hextall has taken this teams prospect pool from one of the leagues worst to probably one of the top 5.

Take it with a grain of salt because it is a Bleacher Report for the NHL:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2647891-nhl-draft-2016-results-re-ranking-every-teams-prospect-pool/page/27

They have the Flyers ranked #5:

Existing Talent

• Forward: Travis Konecny was a late-first-round pick a year ago and climbed from 68 points to 101 in the same number of games at the OHL level. He's the best of the lot, but there are a handful of secondary prospects worth keeping an eye on here too.
  • Defence: The backbone of the Philadelphia Flyers prospect system is the blue line. Ivan Provorov is an elite prospect, a top-10 pick a year ago who scored more than 20 goals and 70 points in the WHL. Travis Sanheim and Samuel Morin are good enough that they'd be the best players on many team's lists of prospect defencemen. 
  • Goal: The Flyers have a pile of goalies in the system, but three in particular are deserving of note. Anthony Stolarz is 6'6" and improved markedly as an AHL sophomore; he could compete for an NHL job very quickly. The other two are both college goalies with .930-plus save percentages: Alex Lyon at Yale and Merrick Madsen at Harvard.

2016 Draft Additions

Philadelphia already had a pretty nice collection of talent in the system and built on it through the draft, with five top-100 selections. They took Carter Hart, who was perhaps the draft's best goalie, but the other four picks were all spent on forwards. German Rubtsov is a mature two-way talent, Pascal Laberge brings scoring punch and plays with an edge and both Wade Allison and Carsen Twarynski bring some heft to the system. 

Summary

What's not to like? The Flyers didn't have a top pick at the draft but managed to restock their shallowest position and add a top goalie to a system already loaded to the gills with defencemen and puck-stoppers.

I say this pretty much sums up how most of us feel .........

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But after everything i have researched i have to throw Allison in there.

Agree ... the more I read about this kid...the more I like ....and the best part about it .... he was drafted with a 2nd round pick!!!!  Wow..what a novel idea. (Homer should be taking lessons from Hexy here)

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Take it with a grain of salt because it is a Bleacher Report for the NHL:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2647891-nhl-draft-2016-results-re-ranking-every-teams-prospect-pool/page/27

They have the Flyers ranked #5:

Existing Talent

• Forward: Travis Konecny was a late-first-round pick a year ago and climbed from 68 points to 101 in the same number of games at the OHL level. He's the best of the lot, but there are a handful of secondary prospects worth keeping an eye on here too.
  • Defence: The backbone of the Philadelphia Flyers prospect system is the blue line. Ivan Provorov is an elite prospect, a top-10 pick a year ago who scored more than 20 goals and 70 points in the WHL. Travis Sanheim and Samuel Morin are good enough that they'd be the best players on many team's lists of prospect defencemen. 
  • Goal: The Flyers have a pile of goalies in the system, but three in particular are deserving of note. Anthony Stolarz is 6'6" and improved markedly as an AHL sophomore; he could compete for an NHL job very quickly. The other two are both college goalies with .930-plus save percentages: Alex Lyon at Yale and Merrick Madsen at Harvard.

2016 Draft Additions

Philadelphia already had a pretty nice collection of talent in the system and built on it through the draft, with five top-100 selections. They took Carter Hart, who was perhaps the draft's best goalie, but the other four picks were all spent on forwards. German Rubtsov is a mature two-way talent, Pascal Laberge brings scoring punch and plays with an edge and both Wade Allison and Carsen Twarynski bring some heft to the system. 

Summary

What's not to like? The Flyers didn't have a top pick at the draft but managed to restock their shallowest position and add a top goalie to a system already loaded to the gills with defencemen and puck-stoppers.

I say this pretty much sums up how most of us feel .........

I don't read Blecher Report...but I've glossed over prospect pools and put Philly up there in the top 5. Even the teams ahead of them aren't as stacked at D and goal...and we all know how tough those positions are to get.

Found this mock from July 2015, interesting to look back and see who dropped like rock and who rose to the top with a surprising 2015/16 season. Rubstov not ranked in the 1st round in this one yet.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2016-nhl-draft-rankings-the-next-ones-preliminary-edition/

Also from last summer, after the 2015 draft, the Hockey Writers had the Flyers ranked #8 overall. No doubt, after Hexy's stellar outing at Chicago, we should be top 5 at least. I'm looking for my Hockey News Future Watch addition, which ranks the teams from #1 through 30 for prospect depth.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-team-prospect-pools-power-rankings/

That last article was pretty cool....lot's of info ect...

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

#1 Lyons - Lyon led the nation in goals-against average (1.64) last season and was tied for second in save percentage (.936),

#2 Stolarz - AHL Allstar

#3 Merrick Madsen - nominated for the Mike Richter award as the most outstanding goaltender in NCAA men’s hockey

#4 Felix Sandstrom -  

#5 Carter Hart - 2015-16 CHL Goaltender Of The Year.

#6 Matej Tomek -  NAHL Goaltender of the Year and earned All-NAHL Team honors after going 24-7-2 with a 1.83 goals against average for the Topeka RoadRunners in 2015

#7 Ivan Fedotov - KHL this year, including a 1.84 GAA and .916 save percentage in 5 playoff games

That is some impressive accomplishments for these prospects.  Like was mentioned earlier, they still have to prove themselves on the ice at the AHL and NHL level, but I am really excited to see how Hexy has turned a weakness into a strength.

Weird, the only guy who didn't do anything to separate himself from the crowd etc....was Felix Sandstrom. Our 3rd round pick from 15. Did a little research to find out about his season...and came to the conclusion that his mediocre stats may be a product of a bad team. They were sub .500 and finished 9th out of 12 teams in the Swedish Elite League. I know for a fact that league is really competitive. Many teams have elite firepower and if your d is sub standard, any goalie would post average stats. I bet that Sandstrom was ranked ahead of Stolarz this time last year, but a very respectable AHL 2nd season vaulted him back over Felix.

http://www.sofascore.com/team/ice-hockey/brynas-if/3727

Now I'm really excited to see the Lyons kid in a scrimmage. Hopefully he played today and somebody saw it. Those are some WICKED stats, hard to pull off that kind of dominating numbers in a league with so many dangerous shooters. Can't remember the last time a NCAA goalie came up with a 1.64 GGA....just stunning.

Hextall: Phantoms Need to be Better

View image on Twitter

http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2016/07/hextall-phantoms-need-to-be-better.html

When asked about the Lehigh Valley Phantoms' record the past few seasons, Philadelphia Flyers GM Ron Hextall didn't shy away from explaining his true feelings on his organization's AHL affiliate.

"Quite frankly, the last few years there is nothing that I'm proud of," Hextall told media gathered at the Flyers' annual development camp. "We need to be better."

That's why when the NHL's free agency period opened last Friday on July 1st, Hextall's biggest moves weren't going after big-name, high-priced NHL talents much to the chagrin of the fanbase - instead acquiring elite-level AHL players to further solidify organizational depth and help form a solid team for the minor league affiliate an hour up the road.

The Flyers signed center Andy Miele, 6th in the AHL in scoring last season, as well as defensemen T.J. Brennan, the AHL's two-time defenseman of the year, and Will O'Neill - third among all AHL blue liners in scoring last season behind Brennan and one other defenseman.

Those three additions - all top available AHL-level free agents - as well as forwards Greg Carey and Mark Zengerle (AHL deal) appear to put the Phantoms in position to be a serious contender in the AHL's Atlantic Division this fall.

"Part of the perfect world of development is developing players in a winning atmosphere," Hextall explained, adding, "We're trying to get better, but there's that balance between developing players and allowing your young players to have top roles and being a great team."

"So there's kind of a balance - we can add a couple high end players and not hurt the kids. In some ways it helps them playing with better players, but you have to be careful not to push the kids too far down the depth chart to where they're getting low, not important minutes. We feel like we have good depth down there this year and feel like we should have a good team. It is important to win games down there. Losing is not acceptable."

If Hextall's action in free agency, and his continued words that his AHL affiliate is on the hot seat are any indication, a fun season of Lehigh Valley Phantoms hockey will be approaching in the coming months - hopefully one with the Flyers' AHL club's first playoff action in seven years.

So if Laughton and Lyubimov are sent down this could make a damn good roster for the Phantoms next year. I just copied and pasted one i posted a couple weeks back so those two could push guys down the lineup and out. Not sure who yet but this is a stacked group on paper.

Taylor Leier - Andy Miele - Nicolas Aube-Kubel

Danick Martel - Cole Bardreau - Petr Straka

Radel Fazleev - Greg Carey - Chris Connor

Tyrell Goulbourne - Steven Swavely - Colin Mcdonald

Sam Morin - Mark Alt

Travis Sanheim - Reece Willcox

Robert Hagg - Will O'neill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesper Pettersson - Maxim Lamarche

Anthony Stolarz

Alex Lyon

Not sure who it would be maybe i venture and guess one might be the older Chris Connor is one. Maybe they go out and make someone else besides Mcdonald the Captain.

That's a good group of guys there on paper. 

Alt, Hagg, Morin and Sanheim.  Nice to seem them all getting to play together. 

Tandem of Stolarz and Lyon is probably one of the better ones in the A now.

4 minutes ago, Digityman said:

That's a good group of guys there on paper. 

Alt, Hagg, Morin and Sanheim.  Nice to seem them all getting to play together. 

Tandem of Stolarz and Lyon is probably one of the better ones in the A now.

I think the guy who is going to fly under the radar is going to be the stay at home guy Reece Willcox i think he and Sanheim will for a good pair. They will complement each other well. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

So if Laughton and Lyubimov are sent down this could make a damn good roster for the Phantoms next year. I just copied and pasted one i posted a couple weeks back so those two could push guys down the lineup and out. Not sure who yet but this is a stacked group on paper.

Taylor Leier - Andy Miele - Nicolas Aube-Kubel

Danick Martel - Cole Bardreau - Petr Straka

Radel Fazleev - Greg Carey - Chris Connor

Tyrell Goulbourne - Steven Swavely - Colin Mcdonald

Sam Morin - Mark Alt

Travis Sanheim - Reece Willcox

Robert Hagg - Will O'neill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesper Pettersson - Maxim Lamarche

Anthony Stolarz

Alex Lyon

Not sure who it would be maybe i venture and guess one might be the older Chris Connor is one. Maybe they go out and make someone else besides Mcdonald the Captain.

You forgot TJ Brennan, who will likely be a first pairing guy. 

Brennan / Alt

Morin / Sanheim (build chemistry for when they play with the big club)

Hagg / O'Neill

Willcox

One or both of Pettersson and Lamarche will be in the ECHL.

On 7/8/2016 at 7:01 PM, pilldoc said:

Fixed.  I can't think of another time where they had so much promise in the pipeline.

7 hours ago, brelic said:

You forgot TJ Brennan, who will likely be a first pairing guy. 

Brennan / Alt

Morin / Sanheim (build chemistry for when they play with the big club)

Hagg / O'Neill

Willcox

One or both of Pettersson and Lamarche will be in the ECHL.

I wouldn't be shocked if Brennan could be kept up as a 7th forward maybe when all is said and done maybe Hexy moves out someone and then waives Mcdud.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Brennan could be kept up as a 7th forward maybe when all is said and done maybe Hexy moves out someone and then waives Mcdud.

Yeah good point. He could very well make the team. 

On 7/15/2016 at 10:48 PM, brelic said:

When this kid arrives too....

....the Flyers will have a problem (a good one) on who is going to play and who sits.  Since defensemen are worth their weight in gold they will have some sweet trade chips to move to get whatever they want. Not sure who would be the ones moved we will know more in time.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:48 PM, brelic said:

Eh. He couldn't make the Leafs. I like that he came back to play for his home club, but unless something has really changed for him, he's bound for LV.

On 7/17/2016 at 8:20 PM, OccamsRazor said:

When this kid arrives too....

....the Flyers will have a problem (a good one) on who is going to play and who sits.  Since defensemen are worth their weight in gold they will have some sweet trade chips to move to get whatever they want. Not sure who would be the ones moved we will know more in time.

Myers is looking more and more like a steal of a signing and likely would have been a 1st round pick in the June draft had Hextall not pounced on him. 

So in two seasons as gm he's drafted Provorov, Konecny, Rubstov, Lebarge and signed Myers....that's like 5 - 1st round picks...or a decade of drafting by Homer.

Archived