Choice of two defenseman… Jones or Hamilton, who do we want?

28 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

this is how the eagles won the superbowl because they brought in players from great teams which turned that culture into a championship team, the flyers need those same ingredients. it's not just about talent, it's about talent and culture.

When a whole team turns to crap all at once it can't be that they suddenly lost their talent, but they sure did lose their motivation. That points to a leadership issue, Is it a combination of Jake and G not being great leaders as well as the coach? Either way ,if we got a couple of real leaders like a Pronger or Tocchet type,  you would certainly see  much more effort on a nighty basis.

15 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I prefer to keep Meyers and York over Sanheim. 

I can see that. Sanheim may bring the best return as well.

York reminds me a lot of Makar and they are the same build, both 5-11 with Makar about 7 pounds heavier but about 2 and a half years older.

York so i think can easily pack on up to about 205 in the next couple of years.....i like his vision on the ice...hard to hit what you can't catch.

So if you keep Myers maybe York and Myers could make a nice 2nd pair.

I have been waiting for the light to come on for Travis and i am not saying i am giving up on him completely but with 255 games already under his belt at this point i was expecting i think more consistency in his game and well still waiting.

They have a lot of prospects and pick to work with and well they just need to target the best options and go get him. 

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I can see that. Sanheim may bring the best return as well.

York reminds me a lot of Makar and they are the same build, both 5-11 with Makar about 7 pounds heavier but about 2 and a half years older.

York so i think can easily pack on up to about 205 in the next couple of years.....i like his vision on the ice...hard to hit what you can't catch.

So if you keep Myers maybe York and Myers could make a nice 2nd pair.

I have been waiting for the light to come on for Travis and i am not saying i am giving up on him completely but with 255 games already under his belt at this point i was expecting i think more consistency in his game and well still waiting.

They have a lot of prospects and pick to work with and well they just need to target the best options and go get him. 

I agree and Meyers is a right hander, and is a better all around dman than Sanheim. We also have Zamula another lefty to replace Sanheim, but I still think l Zamula is way too thin and also better be at the gym this summer.

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I agree and Meyers is a right hander, and is a better all around dman than Sanheim. We also have Zamula another lefty to replace Sanheim, but I still think l Zamula is way too thin and also better be at the gym this summer.

Yes Zamula name will be in the hat come next camp/preseason. But i can see him also being given a full year under a new coach to help grow his all around game. On paper the Phantoms will be very very solid on the blueline.

York Zamula

Hogberg Millman

Pouliot Wylie

Wotherspoon

I expect Pouliot and Wotherspoon to be brought back to help groom the kids.

Best case York shines and steal a spot....or he goes back to develop and gets first recall.

Future is looking bright i think Attard and St. Ivany will join them the following year.

55 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

agree and Meyers is a right hander, and is a better all around dman than Sanheim.

you're right he's right handed.

He's not better than Sanheim, he's more physical, but also dumber, skating is a wash, not nearly as good offensively.

My perceptions of Myers hockey IQ to a big hit last season. He made some monumentally stupid plays.

Edited by mojo1917

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

My perceptions of Myers hockey IQ to a big hit last season. He did made some monumentally stupid plays

I didn't notice. I was too busy watching all the other Flyers making stupid plays

• Good Post 2

17 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I didn't notice. I was too busy watching all the other Flyers making stupid plays

In the land of the inept, his buffoonery stood apart.

He'd pass away from support, all. the. time.

He watched a lot of the puck movement from rival Power plays and gave up too many easy back post tap-ins. 

He quit skating the puck, he's 6'5" built like tank but faster, skate the damn puck.

He was...B A D.

I really think he never trusted his body after he broke his ribs and that changed his whole game, for the worse.

I don't think there's irreparable damage done. I can't see how anyone would think he's a better hockey player than Sanhiem though.

Edited by mojo1917

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

In the land of the inept, his buffoonery stood apart.

He's pass away from support, all. the. time.

He watched a lot of the puck movement from rival Power plays and gave up too many easy back post tap-ins. 

He quit skating the puck, he's 6'5" built like tank but faster, skate the damn puck.

He was...B A D.

I really think he never trusted his body after he broke his ribs and that changed his whole game, for the worse.

I don't think there's irreparable damage done. I can't see how anyone would think he's a better hockey player than Sanhiem though.

Myers and Sanheim were a very good duo two seasons ago and then became our worst duo.  Didn't they set a record against the Rangers  for being on the ice for almost every goal.

I dont think we should judge their talent based on last year. These guys were great in the playoff, the previous season.  This year, if they continue to pick up where they left off,  then  all bets are off. I still think Meyers will end up better all around defenseman than Sanheim .I like them both, so time will tell who will get traded. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

you're right he's right handed.

He's not better than Sanheim, he's more physical, but also dumber, skating is a wash, not nearly as good offensively.

My perceptions of Myers hockey IQ to a big hit last season. He made some monumentally stupid plays.

I am out of likes this early in the day but i have to say i completely agree.

The most shocking part comes in the physical department i expect way more physicality from him and he did not deliver, however i guess we have to give him the benefit of the doubt the injury he suffered early in the year could be more of why he shied away from this.

He has a very team friendly deal for the next two years at only 2.5 mill so as a right hand shot those kind are almost worth their weight in gold...he also would be a nice trade chip for a team who sees upside in him.

Sanheim is up for a new deal this year. So the whole situation feels very fluid at the moment they are in a good spot to have a few options.

The forward positions with the likes of JVR, Jake seems like a harder conversation.

After the expansion draft i would expect us all to have a better idea which way they are heading.

So the expansion draft in July 21st and the entry draft the 23rd-24th. Seems so far away.

• Like 1

I hope this paste like i want it. The top righthand shot options this offseason...

Dougie Hamilton CAR UFA 28 D 6' 6" 229 R 55 10 32 42       $5,750,000
Jason Demers AZ UFA 33 D 6' 1" 195 R 41   4 4       $3,937,500
David Savard TBL UFA 30 D 6' 2" 229 R 54 1 5 6       $4,250,000
Adam Larsson EDM UFA 28 D 6' 3" 208 R 56 4 6 10       $4,166,666
Erik Gudbranson NSH UFA 29 D 6' 5" 217 R 45 1 3 4       $4,000,000
Brandon Montour FLA UFA 27 D 6' 0" 189 R 50 7 11 18       $3,850,000
Tyson Barrie EDM UFA 30 D 5' 11" 197 R 56 8 40 48       $3,750,000
Stephen Johns DAL UFA 29 D 6' 4" 225 R               $2,350,000
Greg Pateryn SJS UFA 31 D 6' 3" 220 R 13   3 3       $2,250,000
Sami Vatanen DAL UFA 30 D 5' 10" 185 R 39 2 4 6       $2,000,000

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

TK was the top scorer, and Laughton was the top scorer in the playoffs. But someone has to be at the top. And leading a team with 24 goals and 61 pts, isn't a huge feat. Its almost like he lead by attrition. Giroux, Voracek, Coots, all had down years in stats. And since the All Star break, TK has been a shadow of what he was. I don't think he is player who be the leading scorer on the Flyers, or any other team, year in and year out

Last years Konecny? Hell no. The guy who put up 61 points as a just turned 23 year old certainly could.

Is Jones a #1 defenceman? Not the guy from the last two years. He certainly looked like one prior to that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I found it hard listening to anyone singling out a certain player last season when collectively the team sucked.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

How many do any current Flyer players have?

Point being the guy some want to send 3-1st rounders for has as many...none. And I'd bet theres Jacket fans that are wondering wtf is wrong with Jones, like we're wondering what's wrong with fill in the blank. Jones is a very good player, but he isn't the saviour. (see Nashville and Columbus - he "saved" neither)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think York is a good skater, but Makar is elite.

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Point being the guy some want to send 3-1st rounders for has as many...none. And I'd bet theres Jacket fans that are wondering wtf is wrong with Jones, like we're wondering what's wrong with fill in the blank. Jones is a very good player, but he isn't the saviour. (see Nashville and Columbus - he "saved" neither)

I like Jones but there are cheaper options available i think that won't blow the roster up.

I just can't sign off on assets without an extension first....they don't have time for a rental.

I would be ok with a addition of say Savard and Larsson or Savard and Montour.

Savard i would be good with a 4-5 year deal. Montour could be had i think with a 3 year deal.

But i start there. I know neither are the quality of a Jones maybe but there is no guarantee of of now he would sign in Philly after one season.

Provorov - Savard

Sanheim - Montour

Morin - Myers

Braun - Hagg

That would be a solid upgrade in my eyes. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I think York is a good skater, but Makar is elite.

Elite ah do not know...i will say he is the better skater of the two....but is also as i said 2 and a half years older. With two full years of NCAA games and 101 NHL already under his belt and i think York has a very nice upside.

I like where York is headed.....i hope they can sign Brink after the next NCAA season is over.

One thing is for sure the prospect pool is solid.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

One thing is for sure the prospect pool is solid

I would not want to dive into a "solid pool"....seems counter overproduce and somewhat damaging

:bonkingheadonwall::hithead:

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I would not want to dive into a "solid pool"....seems counter overproduce and somewhat damaging

:bonkingheadonwall::hithead:

Just make sure you do it in the shallow end and you should be fine...

:beer:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We all have to realize last season the whole team was a horror, except for 3 players. So I don't think our guys are decline,  it was more of a setback. One good veteran on the defense will jump everyone's game up significantly.  Some added grit/scoring  up front from Allison will also be a big help on the PP and York will also improve things for us. If we can sign a good UFA  dman and keep our assets for the team or to trade  to improve other areas, that would be the best scenario. 

So, does that count as one of the seasons of the two away from two years away effectively now just one year away from being two years away?  or are they still two years away from being two years away?     asking for a friend :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Haha 2

Hamilton and for me, it isn't close at all. Hamilton just goes quietly about his business and still manages to put up 40+ points per season. Signing Hamilton doesn't mean you have to give up players either, and that's huge. With regards to Jones, Columbus is going to drive a hard bargain and if the asking price is Sanheim, Konecny and a 1st, Kekalainen can take a long walk off a short pier. I'd be more inclined to give up that kind of package if it meant a player like Brady Tkachuk or Matthew Tkachuk and even them, I'd still be having second thoughts. Yeah, Hamilton works for me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Hamilton and for me, it isn't close at all. Hamilton just goes quietly about his business and still manages to put up 40+ points per season. Signing Hamilton doesn't mean you have to give up players either, and that's huge. With regards to Jones, Columbus is going to drive a hard bargain and if the asking price is Sanheim, Konecny and a 1st, Kekalainen can take a long walk off a short pier. I'd be more inclined to give up that kind of package if it meant a player like Brady Tkachuk or Matthew Tkachuk and even them, I'd still be having second thoughts. Yeah, Hamilton works for me.

I don't think the Canes let him loose he will get an 8 year 8-9 mill per deal they have plenty of cap space to use 27.7 mill.

That on top of the Canes are already a contender.

So the Flyers will have to go with option B.

• Like 1

Rumor has it Black Hawks are going to go hard for Jones so they may be the team to have to beat.

2021 1st

2022 2nd

Adam Boqvist

...if you believe the start of a asking price.

Plus that moves him out West.