Newest JVR RumoUrs

ruxpin

Because what else do we have?

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/?p=118290&preview=true&preview_id=118290

James-van-Riemsdyk-2.jpg

Rumour: Eric Reese of Philly Sports Network explores potential trade candidates for Philadelphia Flyers forward James van Riemsdyk to fill a gap on the right side of the ice.

Analysis: James van Riemsdyk is undoubtedly a great player. In 797 NHL games, he amassed 264 goals and 260 assists for 524 points. This past season, the 32-year-old had 43 points in 56 games. He was tied first for points on the Flyers. Van Riemsdyk was also elite on the power play on a Flyers team with many negatives last season. Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher is not afraid to make aggressive moves, which he demonstrated this offseason. In 2018, van Riemsdyk signed a five-year, $35 million contract. That contract now has two years remaining on it. Philadelphia has almost $400K in cap space left, and trading away van Riemsdyk will help the team with cap issues, especially since players such as Claude Giroux and Rasmus Ristolainen need to be resigned. 

The article discusses four potential trade candidates for van Riemsdyk. The first one is forward Andre Burakovsky. They are very similar when it comes to offensive production and Burakovsky is much younger. He only has one year left on his contract. The second candidate is Kevin Fiala. Currently, van Riemsdyk is the better player overall, but Fiala is trending upwards to being able to replicate van Riemsdyk’s offence. Additionally, Fiala is seven years younger and has RFA status at the end of the season. Like Burakovsky, Filip Forsberg only has one year remaining on his contract, so the Flyers could take a chance on him during his prime. Finally, Rickard Rakell can rejuvenate the Flyers. However, the Ducks are in a rebuild and they would more likely look to acquire picks or prospects for him instead of van Riemsdyk.

So, I'd do any of these but my favorites would be Burakovsky or Fiala.

But this is a really weird article for me. Weird enough that, to me, it has no merit.

He sets this up as trading JVR to beef up the right side, and then suggests 4 players who primarily play the left side.  I think Fiala and Rakell have played both sides, but they more naturally play the left side.

I think this is written by someone who knows them only through fantasy hockey and knows only the LW-RW qualifier.

That said, I'd do any of these.  But as he points out, it makes absolutely no sense for Anaheim.  And Nashville already traded with the Flyers this offseason. I'd be shocked if there were a part deux.

• Like 3

Well I am certainly open to trading JVR but I think if he is moved it will be closer to the in season trade deadline.

Guess we'll see.

Unless he gets off on a 30 plus goal streak and then they may try and move him in the offseason or at the draft.

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

So, I'd do any of these but my favorites would be Burakovsky or Fiala.

But this is a really weird article for me. Weird enough that, to me, it has no merit.

He sets this up as trading JVR to beef up the right side, and then suggests 4 players who primarily play the left side.  I think Fiala and Rakell have played both sides, but they more naturally play the left side.

I think this is written by someone who knows them only through fantasy hockey and knows only the LW-RW qualifier.

That said, I'd do any of these.  But as he points out, it makes absolutely no sense for Anaheim.  And Nashville already traded with the Flyers this offseason. I'd be shocked if there were a part deux.

The other part of the article that makes no sense is , why beef up the right side ? We already have Atkinson, Konecny, Allison and NAK, plus we have lots of prospects on the RW …Foerester,  Tuomaala, Wysdom and Brink who are all right wings. So if we trade JVR who is a LW we should be looking for another LW.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

The other part of the article that makes no sense is , why beef up the right side ? We already have Atkinson, Konecny, Allison and NAK, plus we have lots of prospects on the RW …Foerester,  Tuomaala, Wysdom and Brink who are all right wings. So if we trade JVR who is a LW we should be looking for another LW.

Agreed!  I mean, if the idea is to keep Allison back for one more year, I get it but I don't agree with it.

So, the players listed actually make some sense for what we would actually need back (left), but the dummy clear said and meant right.

Agreed!  I mean, if the idea is to keep Allison back for one more year, I get it but I don't agree with it.

So, the players listed actually make some sense for what we would actually need back (left), but the dummy clear said and meant right.

Allison is NHL ready and is a Wayne Simmonds type of player which we have missed big time. I think he will be one of our top scorers , play physical and  be a force on the PP.  He can be the third line RW, the two old stiffs we signed can go to the minors and be called up if any injuries.

• Like 2

I get it but I don't agree with it.

Well i'm telling you know after Chuckles comments the other day about the Brassard addition and reading between the lines (sorry i would have posted it but i was at work yesterday) it is going to take a key injury to get the kids into the NHL lineup, so expect mostly everyone to start in the AHL who isn't subject to waiver claims. 

Hey i get it and i am not happy about it and many want but it is coming. I will say this as long as they are winning and beating teams soundly you won't hear much about it but if not yes many will be pissed about the kids not getting reps. So consider this a warning so folks won't be upset.

Here is your starting lineup and we can book it and looks back to see if i am wrong...

LW C RW Forwards
Claude Giroux
CLAUDE GIROUX

Rating: 77.8#9 LW

Sean Couturier
SEAN COUTURIER

Rating: 78.6#12 C

Travis Konecny
TRAVIS KONECNY

Rating: 76.5#20 RW

FL1 Rating
Rating: 77.66#4 FL1
Joel Farabee
JOEL FARABEE

Rating: 72.4#63 LW

Kevin Hayes
KEVIN HAYES

Rating: 75.4#31 C

Cam Atkinson
CAM ATKINSON

Rating: 75.3#28 RW

FL2 Rating
Rating: 74.36#19 FL2
Scott Laughton
SCOTT LAUGHTON

Rating: 72.5#58 LW

Derick Brassard
DERICK BRASSARD

Rating: 69.7#136 C

James van Riemsdyk
JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK

Rating: 74.9#28 RW

FL3 Rating
Rating: 72.39#8 FL3
Oskar Lindblom
OSKAR LINDBLOM

Rating: 72.8#50 LW

Nate Thompson
NATE THOMPSON

Rating: 69.4#145 C

Nicolas Aube-Kubel
NICOLAS AUBE-KUBEL

Rating: 72.6#67 RW

FL4 Rating
Rating: 71.59#6 FL4
DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS Defense
Ivan Provorov
IVAN PROVOROV

Rating: 76.3#8 LD

Ryan Ellis
RYAN ELLIS

Rating: 77.0#9 RD

DL1 Rating
Rating: 76.62#3 DL1
Travis Sanheim
TRAVIS SANHEIM

Rating: 74.8#20 LD

Rasmus Ristolainen
RASMUS RISTOLAINEN

Rating: 73.0#40 RD

DL2 Rating
Rating: 73.92#11 DL2
Keith Yandle
KEITH YANDLE

Rating: 73.5#43 LD

Justin Braun
JUSTIN BRAUN

Rating: 71.8#68 RD

DL3 Rating
Rating: 72.63#8 DL3

GOALIES
Carter Hart
CARTER HART

Rating: 71.6#11 G1

Martin Jones
MARTIN JONES

Rating: 62.4#64 G2

So get ready. It will go down like this unless someone gets hurt.

:PopcornSmiley2:

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i'm telling you know after Chuckles comments the other day about the Brassard addition and reading between the lines (sorry i would have posted it but i was at work yesterday) it is going to take a key injury to get the kids into the NHL lineup, so expect mostly everyone to start in the AHL who isn't subject to waiver claims. 

Hey i get it and i am not happy about it and many want but it is coming. I will say this as long as they are winning and beating teams soundly you won't hear much about it but if not yes many will be pissed about the kids not getting reps. So consider this a warning so folks won't be upset.

Here is your starting lineup and we can book it and looks back to see if i am wrong...

LW C RW Forwards
Claude Giroux
CLAUDE GIROUX

Rating: 77.8#9 LW

Sean Couturier
SEAN COUTURIER

Rating: 78.6#12 C

Travis Konecny
TRAVIS KONECNY

Rating: 76.5#20 RW

FL1 Rating
Rating: 77.66#4 FL1
Joel Farabee
JOEL FARABEE

Rating: 72.4#63 LW

Kevin Hayes
KEVIN HAYES

Rating: 75.4#31 C

Cam Atkinson
CAM ATKINSON

Rating: 75.3#28 RW

FL2 Rating
Rating: 74.36#19 FL2
Scott Laughton
SCOTT LAUGHTON

Rating: 72.5#58 LW

Derick Brassard
DERICK BRASSARD

Rating: 69.7#136 C

James van Riemsdyk
JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK

Rating: 74.9#28 RW

FL3 Rating
Rating: 72.39#8 FL3
Oskar Lindblom
OSKAR LINDBLOM

Rating: 72.8#50 LW

Nate Thompson
NATE THOMPSON

Rating: 69.4#145 C

Nicolas Aube-Kubel
NICOLAS AUBE-KUBEL

Rating: 72.6#67 RW

FL4 Rating
Rating: 71.59#6 FL4
DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS Defense
Ivan Provorov
IVAN PROVOROV

Rating: 76.3#8 LD

Ryan Ellis
RYAN ELLIS

Rating: 77.0#9 RD

DL1 Rating
Rating: 76.62#3 DL1
Travis Sanheim
TRAVIS SANHEIM

Rating: 74.8#20 LD

Rasmus Ristolainen
RASMUS RISTOLAINEN

Rating: 73.0#40 RD

DL2 Rating
Rating: 73.92#11 DL2
Keith Yandle
KEITH YANDLE

Rating: 73.5#43 LD

Justin Braun
JUSTIN BRAUN

Rating: 71.8#68 RD

DL3 Rating
Rating: 72.63#8 DL3

GOALIES
Carter Hart
CARTER HART

Rating: 71.6#11 G1

Martin Jones
MARTIN JONES

Rating: 62.4#64 G2

So get ready. It will go down like this unless someone gets hurt.

Injuries will happen and people will get their chance, but I have a very hard time arguing that you're wrong on the opening day roster.

So long as we don't start trading kids away because Grandpa Nate is doing a bang-up job at 4C.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Allison is NHL ready and is a Wayne Simmonds type of player which we have missed big time. I think he will be one of our top scorers , play physical and  be a force on the PP.  He can be the third line RW, the two old stiffs we signed can go to the minors and be called up if any injuries.

Consider the choir preached to.

But I think OR is probably right about what the opening day roster will look like, barring injuries in preseason.

6 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Allison is NHL ready

I agree but with the cap issues and having less than 400K cap space and only 22 contracts the kids will at least start in the AHL i am banking. And well Lappy will get as stacked an AHL club the Flyers have had since the Jeff Crater and Mike Richards won the Calder title in 2004-05.

Maybe Lappy can shape the kids up because Gordon sure couldn't...

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't care about "the kids" getting "blocked" so much - if they play their way in they will get time. If they don't then they can continue to develop in the A.

But, honestly, JVR on the third line with Brassard at Center and Laughton on the other wing is just a $7M waste of space both on the ice and on the cap.

You need cap room to give a promising young player a chance? There's your cap space. Retain $2M and get a pick or two and $5M in breathing room.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

But, honestly, JVR on the third line with Brassard at Center and Laughton on the other wing is just a $7M waste of space both on the ice and on the cap.

Oh i agree. But necks are on the line this year - they need to make the playoffs and get past the first round or i think there will be changes next offseason - and that could be Chuckles out the door maybe before even A.V.

As i said i am down with moving JVR for just picks to free up some cap space but i think barring a injury the lineup i posted above is what they start with. They get 3 preseason games with i am sure a split squad and by the last 4th preseason game that will be the lineup i think.

We'll see...W's is all i care about right now too...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

As i said i am down with moving JVR for just picks to free up some cap space but i think barring a injury the lineup i posted above is what they start with.

I'm not at all disagreeing. I'm just not sure that underwhelming bottom six is going to do the job they expect it to do.

Happy, as always, to be wrong.

Just now, radoran said:

I'm just not sure that underwhelming bottom six is going to do the job they expect it to do.

Well Chuckles stated he thought they put to much pressure on the young kids and was a big reason why they struggled so much and missed the playoffs so this is why they are going for a more of a proven lineup for his term "more leadership"...

...so welcome in the guys who have played/lead together.

Atkinson and Brassard on the CBJ

Yandle played with Brassard and Hayes under AV.

Atkinson and Hayes at BU.

So they will be glued into the lineup for no other reason that AV wants guys who "already" know what he expects out of them....3rd line be damned...only thing that moves guys out is injury and/or they start stacking L's.

:beer:

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

pressure on the young kids and was a big reason why they struggled so much and missed the playoffs

I thought it was COVID and guys not having access to training enough and not having a camp and Niskanen ... well, all of the many and varied excuses, er, um, "reasons" that they rolled out after they quit last season.

But, sure, "pressure on the young kids." Adding to the list...

That said, of the "kids" (say "under 25") that played 40+ games, I'll guess he was referring to Myers and Patrick, because all of the other guys in that category - Farabee, Konecny, Provorov, Sanheim, Lindblom, Aube-Kubel, Hart - appear to be slated to play exactly the roles they were intended to last year.

Alexis Rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

So they will be glued into the lineup for no other reason that AV wants guys who "already" know what he expects out of them

I Totally Get That Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'll guess he was referring to Myers and Patrick

Yes and i would add young Travis Sanheim to that list, he has yet to me at least looked like the guy ready to take over the #3 spot on the blueline on a consistent basis...so i would expect high expectations again from him to after signing him to his two year show me or you're gone contract.

:hocky:

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes and i would add young Travis Sanheim to that list

If this team's biggest - or for that matter a "major" - "problem" last year was too much pressure on Myers, Patrick, and Sanheim, I'm Daenerys Targareyan.

daenerys GIF

Happy to see where things go. Looking forward to it, actually, for the first time in years.

Edited by radoran

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

If this team's biggest - or for that matter a "major" - "problem" last year was too much pressure on Myers, Patrick, and Sanheim

FIFY

And yes as a second pair in the NHL it was a major problem.

Not the only one but those two were down right terrible together and Sanheim -22 was real...i don't give a rat's ass about corsi.

You have to protect the top of the crease (and your goalie) clear guys out and oh i don't know try a real check instead of the stick check or stick lift every once in a while this is suppose to be a contact sport....and you don't have to blow guys up but goddamn bro i expect a defenseman to you know at some point be solid at defense.

But top 4 guys on defense need to be your top 4 guys defense...

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I don't care about "the kids" getting "blocked" so much - if they play their way in they will get time. If they don't then they can continue to develop in the A.

You need cap room to give a promising young player a chance? There's your cap space. Retain $2M and get a pick or two and $5M in breathing room.

Do we really need Brassard and Thompson? One of them should go to the Phantoms to make room for Allison. No one will claim them on waivers ,so they can come up and down depending how the young guys play. Hopefully one of them will get injured in camp. I hope Allison has such a great camp that they can’t send him down.  Does anyone know when the flat cap is over and we can get some breathing room?

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

Do we really need Brassard and Thompson?

Based on last year's results. I'd say yes.

Make the young guys bust the door down, gifting that C spot to Patrick turned out to be a lousy idea. He took and dropped it down the storm sewer.

Those two dudes will give an honest effort and will know their role, they'll also, and this is important, keep their pie-holes shut and be ready to help the team if a kid does break the door down. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Those two dudes will give an honest effort and will know their role, they'll also, and this is important, keep their pie-holes shut and be ready to help the team if a kid does break the door down. 

Exactly.

And as long as they are collecting wins no one will give a damn...ok who am I kidding yes some will...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But top 4 guys on defense need to be your top 4 guys defense...

Sure, but we were talking about Brassard and Thompson. And, again, you've still got Sanheim at #3 - albeit with Riskolainen instead of Myers (who only played 44 games last season). So replacing the 3rd and 4th line centers doesn't necessarily change the pressure on young master Sanheim. (I'd go into the "analytics" on Riskolainen (who I actually like) but you know them already - suffice to say they don't indicate that he'll have a big impact taking the pressure off Travis, being a career -163 and a -18 LY).

I certainly don't "miss" anyone who's not here any more.

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

And you would not be wrong. I don't have quite the same confidence that the guys who put Patrick into that position and kept him there for 52 games are the exact ones to "fix" it, but I'm going to give it a chance.

Nothing should be "gifted" to anyone - and that includes Brassard and Thompson. Put the best playing guys on the ice.

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Make the young guys bust the door down, gifting that C spot to Patrick turned out to be a lousy idea. He took and dropped it down the storm sewer.

And I expect a playoff run but this group has a lot to show Mr.

It is why I didn't reup on Gamecenter subscription for this year I didn't on the Eagles as well college football.

Both teams are in a show me state of mind for me.

And we'll if they do I will still watch them for free.

And if anyone has an Android phone I can tell you how to watch the Flyers and Eagles for free (NHL, NFL, NCAA,NBA, MLB) this up coming season with an ap.

No scam.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup