Minnesota Wild vs Washington Capitals, Saturday 1-8-22, 7:00pm, Xcel Energy Center

MNSOTA

7 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Christ Dumba !! Dumps it in on a 3 on 3 and then tosses it to nowhere. 🙄

I have seen that before. Sometimes he is not looking where he suppose to shoot the puck. Probably, he thinks that someone is there already?

6 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I have seen that before. Sometimes he is not looking where he suppose to shoot the puck. Probably, he thinks that someone is there already?

Not on that dump in tho.. He didn't know what to do with it.

Own Goal Proves Costly for Washington as Wild Escape with 3-2 Shootout Victory

I guess at least the team keeps making things fun.  Its an important 4 points for a team that seems to average about a game a week these days.  I thought Zuccarello was especially good tonight, lots of jump in his skates.  Dewar, Boldy and Sturm looked great too.  Fiala, yikes...way too many penalties.  If Hartman one-times that Zuccarello pass we wouldn'tve gone to a shootout instead of he waits and Fucale could get across on that one.  

Rossi to me looks a bit overwhelmed by it all.  Boldy looks calm and ready.  I wish he'd call his own number and shoot the puck more though.  

Kahkonen looks relaxed and that's a good thing.  If they only had this kind of effort last week eh?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A really gutsy win there, A+ for effort. A really entertaining game as well. I don't think I've ever seen a goal like the Wild's first goal.

I don't know about Rossi, though. I can not prevent myself from comparing him to Anton Lundell, who we could have picked (I know, coulda, shoulda, whoulda...). Rossi needs a lot more strenght to be able to fight for the puck. Maybe it's the size or the serious issues with Covid he had, but I sure hope he comes back next season a lot stronger. Maybe he join the training with Kaprizov:

Great game by Kähkönen, too. He seems unorthodox, but at least he's not afraid. Attacks the puck very aggressively. Sometimes too much, but he gave us a chance to win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Own Goal Proves Costly for Washington as Wild Escape with 3-2 Shootout Victory

I guess at least the team keeps making things fun.  Its an important 4 points for a team that seems to average about a game a week these days. 

If they only had this kind of effort last week eh?  

Agree. And if we had this effort not only last week , but in our previous 5 losses in a row, then we would be holding the top place of the Division. Now we are at the 4th place. Surprisingly, in our last 2 wins we had lots of players from AHL and they demonstrated pretty competitive mentality against skilled fully loaded Bruins and Capitals.  Kahkonen also showed well his winning character (even with some orthodox style of play at the end of regulation against Capitals). 

So far is impressing me the teams running above us in our Division. Nashville (8-1-1) 1st place; St. Louis (7-2-1) 2nd place; Colorado (9-1-0) 3rd place. 

18 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

A really gutsy win there, A+ for effort. A really entertaining game as well. I don't think I've ever seen a goal like the Wild's first goal.

I don't know about Rossi, though. I can not prevent myself from comparing him to Anton Lundell, who we could have picked (I know, coulda, shoulda, whoulda...). Rossi needs a lot more strenght to be able to fight for the puck. Maybe it's the size or the serious issues with Covid he had, but I sure hope he comes back next season a lot stronger. Maybe he join the training with Kaprizov:

Great game by Kähkönen, too. He seems unorthodox, but at least he's not afraid. Attacks the puck very aggressively. Sometimes too much, but he gave us a chance to win.

First goal they credited to Foligno, which was his 100th NHL goal in professional career. Personally for me, he showed like a real naturally created Captain for this team.

Hope Rossi will join the training with Kaprizov, but first of all Kaprizov needs to heal his shoulder. Wish sooner. I am sure lots of Wild youngsters can learn from Kaprizov different tricks during practicing together. 

9 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Rossi doesn't look like he's adjusted to the NHL yet or at least not as much as Boldy and even Dewar. They've all played against 2 top teams so far, So I'm looking at say the Chicago Home and Home as a way for them to get more comfortable and let their skills show more.
Kap's training is probably why he didn't sustain worse injuries on that hit.
My god, Whipping ropes like that is one thing, But wet also makes them extremely heavier. 😮

• Good Post 1

9 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Agree. And if we had this effort not only last week , but in our previous 5 losses in a row, then we would be holding the top place of the Division. Now we are at the 4th place. Surprisingly, in our last 2 wins we had lots of players from AHL and they demonstrated pretty competitive mentality against skilled fully loaded Bruins and Capitals.  Kahkonen also showed well his winning character (even with some orthodox style of play at the end of regulation against Capitals). 

So far is impressing me the teams running above us in our Division. Nashville (8-1-1) 1st place; St. Louis (7-2-1) 2nd place; Colorado (9-1-0) 3rd place. 

We got into a funk because of irratic schedule and cancellations. Having the 3 new kids come up (now more) was the....I was going to say "shot in the arm that the team needed"...But that's a bit overused right now :P
But their energy woke us up.
Nashville sure snuck right by all of us. I was watching The Av's and Blues now and then and then suddenly I see the Preds in 1st 🤔
We got 4 well deserved points in the last 2 that probably most didn't think (or predict ;) ) we would. So go back to the 5 game losing streak and pick out 2 we should've one, But didn't. Kind of evens out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Funny you word it this way about Rossi because I’ve been thinking the same thing since his debut against Boston. To me, Rossi looks a little light/weak on his skates. Part of that could be a lack of overall confidence but I think is mostly physical. He missed a lot of time and it’s gonna take him a little longer. To me, regardless of how much we want him to be, he doesn’t look ready. He needs a full season in Iowa and I suspect he’ll be back there pretty quick. Boldy is another story though. I know the organization would probably love to wait until next year for Boldy as well given the salary cap and roster projections over the next few years, but Boldy is ready. Contrary to Rossi, Boldy skates like he belongs. He already looks like a top 6 forward. I’m sure he will still have some growing pains as most young players do, but sending him back to Iowa doesn’t help the Wild win games. They have some tough decisions looming.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TallyTigerShark said:

Funny you word it this way about Rossi because I’ve been thinking the same thing since his debut against Boston. To me, Rossi looks a little light/weak on his skates. Part of that could be a lack of overall confidence but I think is mostly physical. He missed a lot of time and it’s gonna take him a little longer. To me, regardless of how much we want him to be, he doesn’t look ready. He needs a full season in Iowa and I suspect he’ll be back there pretty quick. Boldy is another story though. I know the organization would probably love to wait until next year for Boldy as well given the salary cap and roster projections over the next few years, but Boldy is ready. Contrary to Rossi, Boldy skates like he belongs. He already looks like a top 6 forward. I’m sure he will still have some growing pains as most young players do, but sending him back to Iowa doesn’t help the Wild win games. They have some tough decisions looming.

This is why I cautioned so many people from wanting him (Rossi) to get called up.  He's done well in Iowa on the power play.  At even strength he doesn't stand out nearly as much.  He gets physically dominated a fair amount, and while I wouldn't call him weak he's pretty small and can get pushed off the puck without too much trouble.  

Boldy, his mind seems to process faster.  Rossi also needs to continue to work on his skating.  As big as his legs may be, his skating lacks a certain explosiveness you'd expect.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

This is why I cautioned so many people from wanting him (Rossi) to get called up.  He's done well in Iowa on the power play.  At even strength he doesn't stand out nearly as much.  He gets physically dominated a fair amount, and while I wouldn't call him weak he's pretty small and can get pushed off the puck without too much trouble.  

Boldy, his mind seems to process faster.  Rossi also needs to continue to work on his skating.  As big as his legs may be, his skating lacks a certain explosiveness you'd expect.  

And that is what Rossi needed to experience.  Now it's up to management to communicate that to him and give him what he needs to overcome his faults.

10 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

LaPanta and Carter said Kappo was playing aggressively and I agree but this is a bit much. :P

Not weird...Wild.JPG

Maybe it's the new style. That makes the shooter see absolutely nothing of the goal. Kaapo just needs to skate back quickly if the forward decides to skate inside of shooting 😅