Giroux Trade Talk

elmatus

26 minutes ago, radoran said:

He did OK, yes.

He found them a super star in Kaprizov that for whatever reason always gets glossed over by the haters...

...i can't be labeled that yet i am still learning my hate for Chuckles i don't want to know how deep that can get...

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Here is a link to the podcast I just listened to.

Snow the Goalie: A Flyers Podcast - White Flag Waved (google.com)

DiMarco and Difillippo talk about the bolstering of the front office and analytics department. 

They also seem to give some Daniel Briere some credit for not being a dumbass and then in the next sentence say that DB has put his trust in the "Nature boy" Flahr and Fletcher. 

I don't know that I can walk the path telling of myself idiots are in charge and feel like I'm telling myself the truth.

That Minnesota team is playing pretty well with Chuck's players and there seem to be a lot of them to choose from.

Now, Is CF a guy to take a team over the top ? that remains to be seen. But the narrative that he's an imbecile who doesn't know his ass from elbow is patently false. 

He built good teams In Minnesota, his moves here addressed team needs. 

I don't get the impression he thinks everything is "fine" based up what he has done/is doing and has said.

Schmuck Felcher talks a good game with regards to the direction of the franchise, but then he does something stupid like hiring Ian Laperriere to coach the Phantoms. Why wouldn't he hire a coach with a track record of player development and instead hand the keys over to a coach who has NEVER been a head coach before? 

You can then look at the Shitstaintolainen trade. Schmuck was happy with the trade, but at the state of the union conference, Schmuck admits that he gave up a large number of assets for him and it was a deal that didn't work. Why would he say something like that when the team is effectively out of the playoffs and that there's a trade deadline coming up and he can recoup some assets? He's effectively kneecapped himself and that if he does move Ass-to-Mouth, he's not going to get anything back near what he gave up. It makes no sense.

And that's Schmuck in a nutshell. There's awareness, but then when he puts his plan into action, it's always counter of what he says. I admit that I'm incredibly tough. But at the same time, it's been like this for the past 10 to 15 years. I'm done with this stupidity. We need smart executives who make smart decisions, not executives who talk a good game, but then do something completely counter productive to what they're trying to accomplish.

• Good Post 3

11 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm going to answer this.

Frost has a skill set that no other Flyers player has. He has speed in spades, he sees the ice well and he has incredible hands. Not only that, he's been a plus player in both junior and the AHL in terms of his play at 5 on 5, PP and PK. 

The issue, and it's always been an issue, is that the Flyers try to fit him into a role that he doesn't fit. He's not a checking forward and he never will be. Instead, there's this stupid development path in Philadelphia that all prospects have to go through this bottom six garbage in order to succeed. It goes right back to Gagne. He played on a checking line the first five seasons of his career before being elevated. They wasted five God damn years of his career. They did the same with Carter and Richards. They did the same with Giroux. They did the same with Couturier. It just goes on and on with regards to the misuse of players.

Here's something else. Look at the number of players that have been moved away who have found success elsewhere. I can think of Williams, Sharpe, Siedenburg, and now Gostisbehere. There is something fundamentally flawed in the development process in Philadelphia. Just look at the number of young players that have not just stagnated, but have digressed. Provorov, Konecny, Lindblom, Sanheim. Just examples of how this franchise just chews up and spits out young players. These are players with high pedigrees and all of a sudden, they don't know how to play? No, I don't buy that for one second. 

The development process has been flawed for years. Literally, it's been throw **** at a wall and see what sticks. Not only that, rather than embrace the skills that these guys have, they coach it out of them so that they can play this stupid style of hockey that takes no brains or skill. It's garbage systemic hockey that is "play within the confines of the system and if you can't you don't have a spot here." Here's a question - how do you think a guy like MacKinnon or McDavid or Eichel would do here? I'll tell you - they'd have the life sucked out of them because it would be "forecheck, forecheck, forecheck" and "dump and chase, dump and chase, dump and chase." And that sums up the Flyers best - skill and scoring takes a backseat to the system.

^^^^^ this x100 ^^^^^^

Bravo! This is the Flyers philosophy in a nutshell.  And unless things change in the FO, this team will still be killing prospects for the next decade.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

We need smart executives who make smart decisions

Well i hope Briere is our Yzerman or Sakic otherwise we are ****ed...about all we can hold out for because it seems to be coming we just don't know when...i've always loved Briere i don't want to have to learn to hate him.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm going to answer this.

Frost has a skill set that no other Flyers player has. He has speed in spades, he sees the ice well and he has incredible hands. Not only that, he's been a plus player in both junior and the AHL in terms of his play at 5 on 5, PP and PK. 

The issue, and it's always been an issue, is that the Flyers try to fit him into a role that he doesn't fit. He's not a checking forward and he never will be. Instead, there's this stupid development path in Philadelphia that all prospects have to go through this bottom six garbage in order to succeed. It goes right back to Gagne. He played on a checking line the first five seasons of his career before being elevated. They wasted five God damn years of his career. They did the same with Carter and Richards. They did the same with Giroux. They did the same with Couturier. It just goes on and on with regards to the misuse of players.

Here's something else. Look at the number of players that have been moved away who have found success elsewhere. I can think of Williams, Sharpe, Siedenburg, and now Gostisbehere. There is something fundamentally flawed in the development process in Philadelphia. Just look at the number of young players that have not just stagnated, but have digressed. Provorov, Konecny, Lindblom, Sanheim. Just examples of how this franchise just chews up and spits out young players. These are players with high pedigrees and all of a sudden, they don't know how to play? No, I don't buy that for one second. 

The development process has been flawed for years. Literally, it's been throw **** at a wall and see what sticks. Not only that, rather than embrace the skills that these guys have, they coach it out of them so that they can play this stupid style of hockey that takes no brains or skill. It's garbage systemic hockey that is "play within the confines of the system and if you can't you don't have a spot here." Here's a question - how do you think a guy like MacKinnon or McDavid or Eichel would do here? I'll tell you - they'd have the life sucked out of them because it would be "forecheck, forecheck, forecheck" and "dump and chase, dump and chase, dump and chase." And that sums up the Flyers best - skill and scoring takes a backseat to the system.

Brilliant.  One of the best posts I've read on this board.  Ever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

so yeah a big move would seem to get them over the hump or at least to the finals.

He hasn't been one for the "big move" - it's been a gradual process. Sakic's got eight guys he traded for on the roster, six he signed, NAK off waivers, and seven organization draft picks.

And they have more playoff round wins in the past two years than the Flyers do in the past 10 on their way to their second consecutive division championship. The Flyers' last back to back division win was 95 and 96 and their last one at all was 11 years ago...

#thewaywe'vealwaysdonethings

That team is built to win, and it's obvious I'm not sure I buy they "needs a Von Miller" move concept. For that matter, Von Miller was a Super Bowl MVP before he got to LA.

29 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The development process has been flawed for years. Literally, it's been throw **** at a wall and see what sticks.

16 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

But at the same time, it's been like this for the past 10 to 15 years. I'm done with this stupidity. We need smart executives who make smart decisions, not executives who talk a good game, but then do something completely counter productive to what they're trying to accomplish.

It's the way they've always done things.

Paul Holmgren no longer Flyers president, taking on new ...

Edited by radoran

1 minute ago, radoran said:

And they have more playoff round wins in the past two years than the Flyers do in the past 10 on their way to their second consecutive division championship.

And yep no Cups....so how does he get one?? Finishing 1st last year wasn't enough.

This year won't be an easier.

Stay the course or is now the time for something bold??? I'm glad i don't have to make that decision...

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i hope Briere is our Yzerman or Sakic otherwise we are ****ed...about all we can hold out for because it seems to be coming we just don't know when...i've always loved Briere i don't want to have to learn to hate him.

Briere is an incredibly intelligent person. Dude is observant and you can bet that while he's watching what Schmuck and Nature Boy do, it's to ensure he doesn't make the mistakes that they make. 

• Good Post 1

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Stay the course or is now the time for something bold??? I'm glad i don't have to make that decision...

You want Newhook. I want Newhook.

I don't think Newhook is coming.

Happy to be wrong.

Sakic is the Senior Hockey Advisor for the Avalanche and the VP-Hockey Operations and the General Manager.

He doesn't have to listen to anyone "advising" him to make a "big move". As he has said, if there is a deal that makes the team better, he'll do it.

Trading a 21-year-old budding star first round pick under contract for a couple months of a 34-year-old rental is the way the Flyers have always done things, and it hasn't made them better...

33 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He found them a super star in Kaprizov that for whatever reason always gets glossed over by the haters...

...i can't be labeled that yet i am still learning my hate for Chuckles i don't want to know how deep that can get...

The thing with Kaprizov is....a thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriter...a broken clock...Chuck drafting for EIGHT years and grabs this kid in the 5th round. 

Pure luck. That's all that was.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

You want Newhook. I want Newhook.

I don't think Newhook is coming.

Happy to be wrong.

Sakic is the Senior Hockey Advisor for the Avalanche and the VP-Hockey Operations and the General Manager.

He doesn't have to listen to anyone "advising" him to make a "big move". As he has said, if there is a deal that makes the team better, he'll do it.

Trading a 21-year-old budding star first round pick under contract for a couple months of a 34-year-old rental is the way the Flyers have always done things, and it hasn't made them better...

I agree so you know anything about Finn Sampo Ranta???

6-2 190

12 points in 30 AHL is a lot to gamble on. Unless they know something else i don't.

Not familiar with him but just seen his name mentioned.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/375954/sampo-ranta

A Finn - checks box

Went to school at Minnesota checks another box.

Not sure what else 

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I've learned to hate Clarke...Bob that is. Still love Bobby.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree so you know anything about Finn Sampo Ranta???

6-2 190

12 points in 30 AHL is a lot to gamble on. Unless they know something else i don't.

Not familiar with him but just seen his name mentioned.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/375954/sampo-ranta

A Finn - checks box

Not sure what else 

12 points in the AHL checks Fletchers 3rd box. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Pure luck.

Well the Flyers damn sure could use some of that you got any left you can send them...gawd knows they can't afford another JVR or Patrick again......i can't take it...

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Well the Flyers damn sure could use some of that you got any left you can send them...gawd knows they can't afford another JVR or Patrick again......i can't take it...

It took Chuck 8 years to draft a guy like that. Only 5 more to go OR...patience....trust the process!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

A Finn - checks box

I'd say "sure" - but I don't know that it checks the "will be a ++ player" box.

There's also the cap space matter, which this doesn't address at all. If ol' Fletch can wrangle some "future considerations" out of Arizona for cap space from the Ghost deal, it might take some sting out of the Risto... oh, nevermind...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I've learned to hate Clarke...Bob that is. Still love Bobby.

Watching "The Case for 88" brought back just how petulant, self-righteous, and massively overconfident ol' Bob was...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

12 points in the AHL checks Fletchers 3rd box. 

Well the 31 points in 31 games 19 goals +19 in his last season at Minny looks like a great stat line which i don't even know if it even matters...

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'd say "sure" - but I don't know that it checks the "will be a ++ player" box.

There's also the cap space matter, which this doesn't address at all. If ol' Fletch can wrangle some "future considerations" out of Arizona for cap space from the Ghost deal, it might take some sting out of the Risto... oh, nevermind...

So Kaut and Raanta would be enough for you for Giroux?

Flyers would have to pick up some salary or take a contract back to make the cap work.

Ryan Murray back to help with that?? Not sure how much depth he is for them.

42 minutes ago, radoran said:

There's also the cap space matter

Seems to be known they are picking up half his caphit....so there's that.

Now what sit and wait...this sucks that this is the highlight to this season...