Game 45: Jets at Flyers; 2/1/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

11 minutes ago, CoachX said:

FIFY

Don't get the Laughton hate. He's our 4th leading scorer with the 12th highest contract on the team. Can slot in on any line. Nothing special, but far from a hinderance and totally tradeable for assets. Unlike many other players on this team.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Don't get the Laughton hate.

He has been in the NHL 9 season only completed two seasons.

He is injury prone right and had concussion issues especially after getting a cheap shot but I guess if we are going to blame Ellis for being physical but getting hurt well then it's only fair game...

...then should have never gave him that long contract and he has never scored more than 13 goals or 32 points...

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Don't get the Laughton hate. He's our 4th leading scorer with the 12th highest contract on the team. Can slot in on any line.

4th leading scorer on this team is no accomplishment. If not for injuries, this would most likely not be true. If the Flyers lineup was made up the way it should be, he'd be nothing more than a 4th liner. As for plugging him in different positions, I guess. But it's not like he plays better. 

Laughton is no better than the long line of players the Flyers have been masquerading as good, core guys. We fans are duped into accepting him as special, in the absence of something better. He has some skill, and an edge, but we rarely see it. Most of the time he just underachieves. He's a poser

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

...then should have never gave him that long contract and he has never scored more than 13 goals or 32 points...

Well, his deal is really not that out of line with what guys in his age range and salary are getting.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2022/caphit/all/forwards?limits=age-26-29,caphit-2750000-4000000

The issue I have with Laughton is the slavish devotion to him shown by management while simultaneously seeing a guy like Konecny as expendable.

Now, I'm on board with the concept of anyone being available for the right deal. But I'm quite wary of another Justin Williams/Patrick Sharp type situation...

Lastly, I'm not so sure that being "4th on the team in scoring" is a "good thing" given that he has all of 18 points in 42 games. That's an indictment of the roster more than anything else.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

LOL, come on he is one of the few Flyers who tries hard every night and stands up for his teammates. Sure he is not the most talented but he’s a good 3/4 liner. If JVR had Laughtons determination he would be a 40 goal scorer.  Then again, if I had a square ass I’d shi_ bricks

Stands up for his teammates? Yeah, when he has to shuffle down the bench to make room. Laughton gets in one fight per season on average. ONE! There are 3 reasons to fight imo, defend yourself, your teammates, or spark your team. If he gets in one fight to defend a teammates, then he never defends himself, or sparks the club. Kind of like that time he got flipped on his head at center ice and did NOTHING about it.

Fighting isn't the only intangible. I don't see the guy do much of anything game in, game out. I never get anticipation that his line is up next. Like I said elsewhere, we've been duped into thinking he's something. I think he's NAK with a brain

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Stands up for his teammates? Yeah, when he has to shuffle down the bench to make room. Laughton gets in one fight per season on average. ONE! There are 3 reasons to fight imo, defend yourself, your teammates, or spark your team. If he gets in one fight to defend a teammates, then he never defends himself, or sparks the club. Kind of like that time he got flipped on his head at center ice and did NOTHING about it.

Fighting isn't the only intangible. I don't see the guy do much of anything game in, game out. I never get anticipation that his line is up next. Like I said elsewhere, we've been duped into thinking he's something. I think he's NAK with a brain

Of course you should not have much anticipation for a 3rd/4th line guy. You are watching Laughton play in the top 6 where he does not belong.  He belongs on a checking line and killing penalties. Every team needs a guy like that, for that role he is a good fit. I’m not saying he is untouchable, if they feel they can get a solid  younger/ cheaper third line guy to replace him ,I have no problem . Laughton is a small guy and should not be in lots of fights, just the fact that he tries to defend his teammates is better than a big wuss like JVR who’s 6ft 2 and 200lbs has never defended anyone. Laughton plays hard, you gotta give him credit. 

Are you forgetting our last two wins, Laughton got the game winner against LA and setup the winning goal against the Jets. Laughton is a good third line /PK guy who can score a clutch goal every once in a while and nothing more , that’s all that should be expected from him. Maybe you think he should be better because he was a first rounder but that year, there’s nobody picked after him that’s better.

Edited by RonJeremy

Used to be a real Laughton hater, but came around in time.

The only thing that kinds bugs me is how content he seems to be playing for an organization* that hasn't won bubkus and is on track to win

*checks notes*

bubkus.

Seems like he's happy living up to low expectations.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, radoran said:

Well, his deal is really not that out of line with what guys in his age range and salary are getting.

I know I'm just being facetious with FC and trying to make a point.

57 minutes ago, radoran said:

The issue I have with Laughton is the slavish devotion to him shown by management while simultaneously seeing a guy like Konecny as expendable.

I agree. It is an issue see keeping Vandevelde and scratching other players a few years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Fighting isn't the only intangible.

Well when you go right to the intangibles from the start when talking about someone that tells you right there that he isn't very good regardless of the sport...

:beer:

• Like 1

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

It is an issue see keeping Vandevelde and scratching other players a few years ago.

Because he was Hackstall's guy.

Which reminds me... Konecny is a Hextall pick... Laughton a Homer one... 🤔

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

he isn't very good

Laughton's not a game-changer, but he's not terrible.

Teams need those sorts of players. Not this one at this time, but teams who are actually good at hockey.

Lord help me, I'm on Laughton's side...

Scared Oh No GIF by CBC

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Laughton's not a game-changer, but he's not terrible.

Teams need those sorts of players. Not this one at this time, but teams who are actually good at hockey.

Lord help me, I'm on Laughton's side...

Scared Oh No GIF by CBC

He is what he always was a bottom 6 guy who seems to be a good team mate and I don't remember him being a floater.

And his is the least of this team's worries.

He lacks a scoring touch and I always thought he was over drafted and should have been a 2nd round pick.

2 years away from being 2 years away.

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I always thought he was over drafted and should have been a 2nd round pick.

To RJ's point, there's not a lot after him that you go "ooo! miss!"

20/20 I might rather have Colton Sissons (50 overall) in that role. Just because I think he's a better "center" (and signed for a few $100K less...).

Speaking of the 2012 draft, check out Buffalo drafting Grigorenko (12) and Girgensons (14) with Teravainen (18) and Vasilevsky(!) (19) still on the board.

What are the chances Homer would have passed on Vasilevsky had he been available and still taken Laughton?

I'm thinking 11 times out of 10...

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, radoran said:

Speaking of the 2012 draft, check out Buffalo drafting Grigorenko (12) and Girgensons (14) with Teravainen (18) and Vasilevsky(!) (19) still on the board.

What are the chances Homer would have passed on Vasilevsky had he been available and still taken Laughton?

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen - Find & Share on GIPHY

Gordon Ramsay Im Cold GIF by Hell's Kitchen

image.jpeg.3cd50427817a447c468eaaea3dcd8e73.jpeg

Edited by pilldoc
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

To RJ's point, there's not a lot after him that you go "ooo! miss!"

20/20 I might rather have Colton Sissons (50 overall) in that role. Just because I think he's a better "center" (and signed for a few $100K less...).

go to 11 spinal tap GIF

Edited by ruxpin

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Of course you should not have much anticipation for a 3rd/4th line guy. You are watching Laughton play in the top 6 where he does not belong.  He belongs on a checking line and killing penalties. Every team needs a guy like that, for that role he is a good fit. I’m not saying he is untouchable, if they feel they can get a solid  younger/ cheaper third line guy to replace him ,I have no problem . Laughton is a small guy and should not be in lots of fights, just the fact that he tries to defend his teammates is better than a big wuss like JVR who’s 6ft 2 and 200lbs has never defended anyone. Laughton plays hard, you gotta give him credit. 

Are you forgetting our last two wins, Laughton got the game winner against LA and setup the winning goal against the Jets. Laughton is a good third line /PK guy who can score a clutch goal every once in a while and nothing more , that’s all that should be expected from him. Maybe you think he should be better because he was a first rounder but that year, there’s nobody picked after him that’s better.

I recall a time when there were guys playing 3/4 line, and you couldn't wait to see them get on the ice and start something. Laughton is 6'01, 190. Wayne Simmonds is 6'02, 185. As they say, size of the fight in the dog, yada..Yada. Im sorry but I have not seen examples of him "defending" teammates. If we aren't talking about dropping the gloves to send a message, I dont what you are referring to.

Someone else referenced it, he seems content to have a job and goes about it. I actually never connected that he was a 1st round pick. That makes it worse in my mind. I think the guy could do more. I think he could be more impacting. It doesn't have to be a fight, it could be a big hit. Or several regular hits. We dog Giroux tirelessly for "lack of effort". Well I think Laughton is the epitome of that

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

He has been in the NHL 9 season only completed two seasons.

He is injury prone right and had concussion issues especially after getting a cheap shot but I guess if we are going to blame Ellis for being physical but getting hurt well then it's only fair game...

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Laughton is in his 9th season as a Flyer. Most of his career has been spent bouncing up and down the lineup, while making under a million a year. His best year is 12 g 20 a. He's hardly whats wrong with the franchise, and could easily be traded off for draft picks. 

Ellis has played 4 games and has already made what Laughton earned in his first 4 seasons as a Flyer.  I thank Ryan Ellis for his career 5 point contribution as a Flyer while making $3 miilion dollars and apologize if my not liking it offends you. 

My point is the Flyers have a lot bigger issues than Scott Laughton. If they traded him tomorrow it wouldn't bother me. As long as it didn't include multiple draft picks for future considerations. His contract is hardly the boat anchor that many other Flyer "stars" have at this time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

4th leading scorer on this team is no accomplishment. If not for injuries, this would most likely not be true. If the Flyers lineup was made up the way it should be, he'd be nothing more than a 4th liner. As for plugging him in different positions, I guess. But it's not like he plays better. 

Laughton is no better than the long line of players the Flyers have been masquerading as good, core guys. We fans are duped into accepting him as special, in the absence of something better. He has some skill, and an edge, but we rarely see it. Most of the time he just underachieves. He's a poser

It's not a great accomplishment...but when he's the 12 highest paid player, he's NOT the guy you should be hating on. 

If the Flyer lineup was made up the way it should be,  it wouldn't include slugs like JVR and Hayes taking up $14 million while providing less scoring than Laughton. 

Laughton isn't special...and he's not paid "special". JVR and Hayes aren't special, but they're paid like they are. They're the f***ing posers. Laughtons just another plumber in the NHL. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I always thought he was over drafted and should have been a 2nd round pick.

:bonkingheadonwall:

Name all the great players picked after him. There are none. 

He was a decent pick who has more career points than the guy who went 1st overall.

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And his is the least of this team's worries.

@flyercanuck

I guess during your speed reading you missed this.

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Name all the great players picked after him

Stanley Cup winner Oli Maata when they needed a defenseman.

Brady Skjei yep another defenseman who could have helped and only has more career points than Laughton so yeah when the needed blueline help they went forward imagine that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@flyercanuck

I guess during your speed reading you missed this.

Touche'!

Stanley Cup winner Oli Maata when they needed a defenseman.

Brady Skjei yep another defenseman who could have helped and only has more career points than Laughton so yeah when the needed blueline help they went forward imagine that.

Ya, I wanted Maata as well, but injuries have sent his career downhill. 

Skjei again, decent player but hardly jumps out as a huge miss by the Flyers. 

Neither player could be deemed "great". 

Not a great draft all around...think we ended up with a decent player, as did Pittsburgh and NY. 

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Skjei again, decent player but hardly jumps out as a huge miss by the Flyers. 

Sure Maata was a better option PLUS filled a need an Skjei has been a solid yet unspectacular guy but steady maybe had he been around they never sign the Prosser and Gustafssons.

We'll we know the Flyers affection with centers.

I am not a Laughton I appreciate him for what he is.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

We'll we know the Flyers affection with centers.

Well, it's gone from that to Minnesotans. And players who's first and last name start with the same letter.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 1