Russian Players to be Banned from NHL?

WordsOfWisdom

20 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I give it a 25% probability that public outcry forces the NHL to remove Russian players from the upcoming NHL draft.

Again ...legally there is no way to accomplish this.  With that being said, NHL clubs could voluntarily not draft Russian born players.

20 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I give it a 50% probability that Putin bans players from leaving the country, making the above point moot.

I give it a 25% probability that life goes on as normal with no change to the status quo.  

Removing item #1, I would change the % to 50/50 for the other statements to come to fruition.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, B21 said:

Unless an athlete is clearly a pro-Putin, pro-invasion wackadoo, they get a pass. At the end of the day they had nothing to with the invasion of Ukraine.

Agree .....

6 hours ago, B21 said:

I do find it ironic how we as a country want politics kept out of sports (see: Kapernick, Colin) yet expect a stance from Russian athletes on what is going on.  Not equating the two issues...just the attitude in general.  If Malkin says nothing about the issue that's OK by me.

Sad and ironically.  Proves what double standard some in this world live by ...... so hypothetically speaking, would fans be upset if current Russian hockey players took a knee during the singing of the American / Canadian national anthems to protest the invasion?  Not saying this would or should happen.  Just a curious observation and thought.  Keeping this strictly hypothetically speaking.  I would be curious of the reception this would receive, if it should come to pass.  Just trying to create a civil thought provoking discussion.  That is all .......

Speaking about double standards, it's funny how some athletes (in ski-cross and soccer for example) publicly boycott competitions that was supposed to be held in Russia and openly take position in that matter, the same athletes who surprisingly remained silent while they were in Beijing and will likely go in Qatar for the World Cup.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Sad and ironically.  Proves what double standard some in this world live by ...... so hypothetically speaking, would fans be upset if current Russian hockey players took a knee during the singing of the American / Canadian national anthems to protest the invasion?  Not saying this would or should happen.  Just a curious observation and thought.  Keeping this strictly hypothetically speaking.  I would be curious of the reception this would receive, if it should come to pass.  Just trying to create a civil thought provoking discussion.  That is all .......

I am pretty sure that if Malkin...hypothetically :)...took a knee in protest of the invasion he'd be hailed as a hero as that would be a total kick to Putin's icy balls. Shocked if he did it...or any Russian NHLer for that matter.  Don't blame them for not wanting too, either.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, B21 said:

I am pretty sure that if Malkin...hypothetically :)...took a knee in protest of the invasion he'd be hailed as a hero as that would be a total kick to Putin's icy balls. Shocked if he did it...or any Russian NHLer for that matter.  Don't blame them for not wanting too, either.  

I would imagine they'd be too scared of what might happen to their families over there. 

That said, I'm not a fan of Ovechkin being buddies with that murdering liar of an embezzling dictator. 

• Like 1

Is there any point in me posting here any more?

Even when I'm on point, and I present an important topic of interest, I get almost zero support from the members here. The people who reply to my post just to sh_t on it are the ones receiving all the likes. Look at the first three posts in this thread:

posts.thumb.jpg.4cb03174f2ef5c19082f94a29b07ff86.jpg

Ask yourself the question (be honest): If this thread had been started by TropicalFruitGirl, Podein, Pilldoc, or basically anyone else but me, that first post gets a respectable reply and probably has 20 likes by now doesn't it?

I think I get the message. Nobody wants me here, so I will say goodbye.

14 hours ago, B21 said:

Yeah, but in the meantime he would have to check anytime in his gatorade bottle if there's no Polonium or Novichok.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Math said:

This is going too far. Why the hell should these kids be punished and make them pay for something they are not responsible of ? 

While I agree with what you're saying, nailing Russia with everything you possibly can short of WWIII might be the only way of knocking some sense into Putins cement head. Or getting those that surround him to...by whatever means it takes. 

I feel bad for the people of Russia...but there are Ukrainian 16 and 17 year olds who are paying more dearly for something they aren't responsible for. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

• 1 month later...

100% yes. Russian people are the only ones that can stop this. Unfortunately, we need to make it difficult for every Russian.

The lives of every Ukrainian and the future of the children of Ukraine is at stake. It's not just about hockey. 

As a Canadian, we need to stand with Ukraine in every way possible. 

• Like 1

Ovetchkin openly declared his support of that monster Vladamir Putin.    To me that is reason to kick his ass out.  How the hell do you support killing innocent people? Someone needs to take him out like they should have taken Hitler out. Before he causes a ware that is unthinkable.  I cannot believe someone on the inside has not gotten to him. The Russian people I fell bad for. They get thrown in jail if they even talk against the bastard.  What a place that is. We need to back Ukraine until the end. The allied nations may need to to to fight them conventionally. if he "push's the nuclear button, that is the end for many"  We need to wipe those bastards off the map or die trying.  Ovetchkin is a sack of ****. I no longer like him at all. I hope someone drills his ass into the glass.  Florida is not physical.  I hope they beat Washington. I do not know Teresenko's views on this. Yes I always liked him as a player. He is a great player. And plays for my 2nd fav team. Without him I am not sure the Blues can win.  But go Flames if he does openly support that piece of crap.  Unless they are supporting him only out of fear?  Why would they want to leave US soil to return to that mess?

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Ovetchkin openly declared his support of that monster Vladamir Putin.    To me that is reason to kick his ass out.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:30 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

In any event, I don't think it will ever come down to an NHL-level decision

The NHL can’t. It would have to be addressed via NHLPA CBA. I read through the entire CBA. This type of situation is not addressed in the CBA and nor should it be….

Also take it FWIW….from an article from The Athletic….

Ovechkin expressed support for Putin as his president, but also a desire to stay out of politics as an athlete. When asked about other Russian athletes who firmly denounced the violence, he called for the same.

“Please, no more war,” he said. “It doesn’t matter who is in the war — Russia, Ukraine, different countries. … We have to live in peace and a great world.”

On 4/30/2022 at 8:48 AM, pilldoc said:

On 2/26/2022 at 8:30 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

In any event, I don't think it will ever come down to an NHL-level decision

The NHL can’t. It would have to be addressed via NHLPA CBA. I read through the entire CBA. This type of situation is not addressed in the CBA and nor should it be….

Also take it FWIW….from an article from The Athletic….

Ovechkin expressed support for Putin as his president, but also a desire to stay out of politics as an athlete. When asked about other Russian athletes who firmly denounced the violence, he called for the same.

“Please, no more war,” he said. “It doesn’t matter who is in the war — Russia, Ukraine, different countries. … We have to live in peace and a great world.”

I feel for the Russian people who stand against Putin also.  I just cannot believe this guy is in power still.  They fought Hitler on their own turf.  They knew what he did.  Now they have a guy that is comparable to Hitler. Someone needs to take his ass out.

• 8 months later...

UCC letter re Canadian entry visa – citizen of the Russian Federation Alexander Ovechkin

https://www.ucc.ca/2022/12/29/ucc-letter-re-canadian-entry-visa-citizen-of-the-russian-federation-alexander-ovechkin/?fbclid=IwAR3v2sAWTNECkIHCV2cyaYfQ77dWdaNqCaSRw-Mu08uzythq10F7VdaOPuU

December.29.2022.Ovechkin.jpg

1046594321_ScreenShot2023-01-03at8_58_12AM.png.b66928b6b51a6f9778b6b2431965bd26.png2027267560_ScreenShot2023-01-03at8_58_34AM.png.725dc2dc43797b72072dff5090232d0c.png375999183_ScreenShot2023-01-03at8_58_52AM.png.34cb5713294f97be74a6cb58e201b281.png

Edited by NHL HHOF