Game 53: Oilers at Flyers, 3/1/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

53 minutes ago, radoran said:

That said, the talented team still needs to put out work and effort on a relatively consistent basis.

So what happens when you have an un-talanted team that is ANYTHING but consistent in any aspect of the game of hockey.

Asking for a friend....(named Dave Scott.)

2 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

So what happens when you have an un-talanted team that is ANYTHING but consistent in any aspect of the game of hockey.

They get overjoyed by beating the Capitals and then get shut out by an undermanned Oilers team and say things like "we deserved better" during a six game losing streak.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, radoran said:

They get overjoyed by beating the Capitals and then get shut out by an undermanned Oilers team and say things like "we deserved better" during a six game losing streak.

Don't forget We don't need to rebuild...we're just a little tweak away from a cup

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Don't forget We don't need to rebuild...we're just a little tweak away from a cup

Ol' Fletch has said they need to add "two or three" highly skilled players.

He hasn't indicated how that's likely to happen.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Ya, if we could get McDavid, Draisaitl and Makar, we could be decent. 

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, if we could get McDavid, Draisaitl and Makar, we could be decent. 

I'd settle for Aho, deBrincat, and Heiskanen...

McDavid and Draisaitl have as many playoff round wins as the Flyers over the course of their careers and are currently just over the playoff bubble ahead of Dallas and Anaheim...

• Like 1

Just now, radoran said:

I'd settle for Aho, deBrincat, and Heiskanen...

McDavid and Draisaitl have as many playoff round wins as the Flyers over the course of their careers and are currently just over the playoff bubble ahead of Dallas and Anaheim...

Sure, cause management can't find anyone else to make up a team. They'd fit right in on Philly.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

"Hard work" and "effort" don't in and of themselves makes "success."

A less talented team can work hard and beat a more talented team, but over the course of 82 games - or in most seven game series - the more talented team will win more often.

That said, the talented team still needs to put out work and effort on a relatively consistent basis.

From my old and tired eyes, our last truly "heroic" series was the seven-game loss to Tampa Bay in 2003-04.  We were clearly outgunned but the team fought gallantly.  

Our poor performance in the "skills competition"--we are about .333, correct....says a lot about the kind of people we have drafted and trained the last 15 years. 

Sad!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

And, of course, those two guys make up 25.7% of the Oilers' cap...

And are the top 2 scorers in the entire league.

Meanwhile we have JVR Hayes and Ellis taking up our cap with a combined 34 points.

Edited by flyercanuck

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

And are the top 2 scorers in the entire league.

And are on the playoff bubble just ahead of Dallas and Anaheim.

#serve #volley

The point is that all of those points aren't meaning very much and with two guys taking up a quarter of a team's cap space, it can be hard to "make up a team" around them.

It is, of course, not all their fault... #notalltheirfault

9 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

We were clearly outgunned but the team fought gallantly. 

They were outgunned because the defense was a mash unit...not many teams could have beat the Bolts with the injuries they had and it still almost happened.

That Bruins comeback is one of favorites of all times still though in 2010.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

They were outgunned because the defense was a mash unit...not many teams could have beat the Bolts with the injuries they had and it still almost happened.

That Bruins comeback is one of favorites of all times still though in 2010.

Can't argue that....another good example.  

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

#serve #volley

The point is that all of those points aren't meaning very much and with two guys taking up a quarter of a team's cap space, it can be hard to "make up a team" around them.

I don't think there's a problem with your highest paid players when they're your top scorers (or the leagues for that matter). 

But if your idiot management pays guys like they're top players and they're 15th...on your team, THAT is a problem.

Or if they can't find other players who are any good. I mean after those two, the next highest Oiler has not even HALF the points. 

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

The point is that all of those points aren't meaning very much and with two guys taking up a quarter of a team's cap space

Yeah maybe they should trade one of them for a king's ransom.

Wonder what it would cost the Flyers for Draisaitl asking for a friend...

:PopcornSmiley2:

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

#serve #volley

The issue isn't so much the cap space spent on those two, but the $3.1M on deadcap/buyout contracts, and the $31M spent on Duncan Keith, Tyson Barrie, Zach Kassian, and Mikko Koskinen.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The issue isn't so much the cap space spent on those two, but the $3.1M on deadcap/buyout contracts, and the $31M spent on Duncan Keith, Tyson Barrie, Zach Kassian, and Mikko Koskinen.

Sure #notalltheirfault

But having contracts like that can make it harder to overcome others.

I fully expect the Oil to be more competitive than the Flyers over the next five years.

15 minutes ago, radoran said:

Sure #notalltheirfault

But having contracts like that can make it harder to overcome others.

I fully expect the Oil to be more competitive than the Flyers over the next five years.

I'll say this Captain Obvious statement...I'd rather pay McDavid and Draisaitl, and at least have them to watch, than pay JVR, Hayes and Ellis to do absolutely nothing. And yes, Ellis can't help his injury.  An issue that wouldn't surprise me the entire NHL knew about other than Flyers Wile. E Coyote Genius front office.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Guarantee they go after  Gadreau. Even though he's the kind of player that a team who is one piece away should sign.  We need to get young up and coming players, not older fading players. We already have more than enough of those. If you don't bottom out and get multiple lottery picks to build around, then you have to go old school Flyers and build a  balanced hardworking team that wins more by team play and determination than pure skill, just like the 85-87 Flyers.

25 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Guarantee they go after  Gadreau. Even though he's the kind of player that a team who is one piece away should sign.  We need to get young up and coming players, not older fading players. We already have more than enough of those. If you don't bottom out and get multiple lottery picks to build around, then you have to go old school Flyers and build a  balanced hardworking team that wins more by team play and determination than pure skill, just like the 85-87 Flyers.

I would take Johnny Hockey because that would certainly mean they can't afford Risto and he walks or is traded.

Sure he is a kid prospect and all but as we stated many times it is noise they are going to blow it up any ways.

So yeah WTF is it going to hurt I do not want any part of Risto going forward.

But that could all change once I see Johnny's contract.

49 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'll say this Captain Obvious statement...I'd rather pay McDavid and Draisaitl, and at least have them to watch, than pay JVR, Hayes and Ellis to do absolutely nothing.

As would I, obviously. But just having a boatload of 1/2 overall picks hasn't worked out for Edmonton yet. Much less Buffalo.

It worked out for Pittsburgh so everyone's been chasing that dragon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would take Johnny Hockey because that would certainly mean they can't afford Risto and he walks or is traded.

Those who fail to learn from history....

This is exactly the kind of contract we need to STOP doing. Guy ending his prime years, looking for his last big payday and term to run out his career. In years 4, 5, 6, 7 you'll hate it as much as every other one we've got just like this.

I mean would I take him over Ristolainen? Sure. But doing yet another stupid thing just so we don't do a different stupid thing? 

And we wonder why we can't get past mediocre. Cause we keep doing the exact same stupid **** over and over. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Guarantee they go after  Gadreau.

I guarantee they "go after" any top level FA on the market.

The Flames are hot to keep Gaudreau.

I'll wager the Flyers chase Gaudreau and catch Filip Forsberg...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, radoran said:

As would I, obviously. But just having a boatload of 1/2 overall picks hasn't worked out for Edmonton yet. Much less Buffalo.

It worked out for Pittsburgh so everyone's been chasing that dragon.

Oilers hit well on 2 guys. Not so much on the rest. Buffalo has yet to hit on 1. Pens hit on 3 and filled in around them. 

• Like 1