Game 53: Oilers at Flyers, 3/1/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Those who fail to learn from history....

This is exactly the kind of contract we need to STOP doing. Guy ending his prime years, looking for his last big payday and term to run out his career. In years 4, 5, 6, 7 you'll hate it as much as every other one we've got just like this.

I mean would I take him over Ristolainen? Sure. But doing yet another stupid thing just so we don't do a different stupid thing? 

And we wonder why we can't get past mediocre. Cause we keep doing the exact same stupid **** over and over. 

But it isn't going to stop so if they are going to continue down this path ATLEAST give me a damn team I can stomach to watch and actually play well.

As I said repeatedly IT IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE.

So the only thing I can ask for I guess is a good Flyer game to watch.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Oilers hit well on 2 guys. Not so much on the rest. Buffalo has yet to hit on 1. Pens hit on 3 and filled in around them. 

Pens also exploited the circumvention loophole with Crosby when they had the chance.

Homer did with Crater and Richards and then won when he traded them. Then they built around two guys who averaged .924 and .85 points per game over the past 10 years.

Crosby and Malkin were 1.18 and 1.12

Ovechkin and Backstrom 1.01 and .942

Stamkos and Kucherov 1.05 and 1.07

Those are five of the past 6 Cups, the other is STL.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

54 minutes ago, radoran said:

I guarantee they "go after" any top level FA on the market.

The Flames are hot to keep Gaudreau.

I'll wager the Flyers chase Gaudreau and catch Filip Forsberg...

We need to keep the cap down and build and once we have a solid group of young players ,then in a few years then we have the $$ to go after a top UFA who is a game changer, for example McKinnon in 2023, Marner in 2024 and not an overpaid third line center like Hayes. If we tie up any more big $$ now then we are handcuffed for the future. All the UFAs for 2022 are old and washed up. Godreau is 28, so if we sign him them in 3 years we can have Coots, Godreau, Hayes and Ellis all washed up and and 30 million in cap$.

26 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We need to keep the cap down and build and once we have a solid group of young players ,then in a few years then we have the $$ to go after a top UFA who is a game changer, for example McKinnon in 2023, Marner in 2024 and not an overpaid third line center like Hayes. If we tie up any more big $$ now then we are handcuffed for the future. All the UFAs for 2022 are old and washed up. Godreau is 28, so if we sign him them in 3 years we can have Coots, Godreau, Hayes and Ellis all washed up and and 30 million in cap$.

I agree with you.

The Flyers are committed to spending to the cap and "retooling" by adding top talent as it becomes available.

So who else has seen enough of James van Riemsdyk to last them the rest of their hockey watching lives?

It boggles my mind, that player has scored 264 goals in the NHL and somehow isn't an analytical black hole.

If I had a buck for every time I've watched him blow past the cage on an odd-man rush rather than stop and see what's going to happen, I would be buying that PRS Silver Sky SE in stone blue on him. 

Somehow he manages to be decent in the neutral zone but that never escalates into goal scoring. He'll take a bad shot with no rebound chance, If he's not goal front letting pucks bounce off his ass he's not going to score.

He's not a dumb person, nor is he a dumb player in all 200 feet of the rink, but in the 25 where it counts, he's a cement head.

He's being paid to score and hasn't.

I was never keen on his redux signing, he hasn't lived up to his contract in any measurable way.

Bag of pucks, waive his ass, (don't buy his contract), get rid of him, keep as much as the NHL will allow. 

Just get him the **** off this team. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

17 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Somehow he manages to be decent in the neutral zone but that never escalates into goal scoring

And that's a team-wide issue. Even when the Flyers play with structure and support the puck etc., the transition into the offensive zone inevitably breaks down. This is where you see how bad the team is, how far the rot of losing has eaten away the confidence, the communication, the chemistry. They've started defending better but their transition game, like their PP is nowhere to be found.

He's not a dumb person, nor is he a dumb player in all 200 feet of the rink, but in the 25 where it counts, he's a cement head.

No he's not a dumb player he's a soft player. He's a marshmallow who figures his goal production makes him a $7mil player. He's right* except that when he's unwilling to get bumped around a bit - like this entire year and much of last year - his scoring dries up and then he's useless.

Just get him the **** off this team. 

Absolutely. Whatever it takes.

edit: *an NHL 30-goal winger is a $7+mil player but JVR was never a consistent 30-goal scorer. Close (maybe) but there's so many better players, more complete players to spend money on...Hextall made a mistake on that one.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1