Season Ticket Holder Interview with Danny Boy & ol' Fletch

radoran

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/03/flyers-season-ticket-holders-interview-chuck-fletcher-and-danny-briere-in-town-hall-setting.html

Worth a read, if you dare.

A few takeaways:

• Ellis likely to have surgery, but they swear he'll be ready for next season. #pinkies!
  • Hayes likely back against Chicago
  • STBs are not happy
  • CF says they need more high end talent, noting that Giroux is their leading scorer this year
  • "This year Claude Giroux is an unrestricted free agent. It remains to be seen what happens there. "
  • kind of admits players do press to come back and sometimes may too soon - "have to find a way to be much better at"
  • STB asked if they were "too small" - Fletch said management agrees they are not as big as they need to be. Cited moves for Ristolainen, signing Thompson, claiming Brown; thinks that guys in the system (Allison, Laczynski, Radcliff) have some size
  • "In terms of Ristolainen, obviously I paid a big price to trade for him with the expectation and hope that he’d be a part of this group going forward, and that’s something we’re working on."
  • Briere talked about some of the prospects: Frost "only second year" due to injury; Old Foerster a "special prospect"; Brink leading nation in college scoring; Attard/York/Zamula on the back end
  • organization* has tremendous resources and they intend to use them; will spend to cap; "To sit in a room with Dean Lombardi, Paul Holmgren, Danny Briere, our pro scouts, (assistant general managers) Brent Flahr and Barry Hanrahan, and Ian Anderson – there’s some smart people here. "
  • Carter Hart still their guy, only 23 and playing well despite some hiccoughs; worked to rebound from last year and make necessary adjustments
    • good goalie prospects in the system

My first takeaway was the whole "spend to the cap" idea. Which is great that the team has the resources to do that consistently, but they've spent to the cap every year in the past 10 except one and the results have been what they are. The obsession with "spending to the cap" just strikes me as a bad reason in and of itself. If you have the guys you should spend the money on, great. But sometimes you wind up putting money out there that can block younger, cheaper, (better?) players.

The longterm (signed 3+ years) core is now Couturier, Hayes, Ellis, Atkinson, Provorov, Farabee, Konecny, Laughton, Hart. There are some "good players" there, but there isn't a real game breaker. Getting "that guy" is a reason to spend.

I (obviously) have other thoughts, but the floor is yours...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Uggh... 1

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

My first takeaway was the whole "spend to the cap" idea.

None of this matters if it isn't spent the right way.

Perfect example:

I can take $100 and go shopping and feed the family maybe two meals on it.

My wife can take $100 and feed us for damn near a week.

Well I can tell you who I prefer shopping for groceries...

🤮

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

A few takeaways:

• Ellis likely to have surgery, but they swear he'll be ready for next season. #pinkies!

Now who would have thought Ellis needed surgery other than everyone not in Flyer management?

Hayes likely back against Chicago

Finally, our mediocre lazy leader is back to take us to hallowed ground!

• STBs are not happy 

STBs? THERES NOT A SINGLE FLYER FAN ON THIS PLANET THAT'S HAPPY WITH THIS GARBAGE.

• CF says they need more high end talent, noting that Giroux is their leading scorer this year

Genius. Pure genius.

• "This year Claude Giroux is an unrestricted free agent. It remains to be seen what happens there. "

See above.

• kind of admits players do press to come back and sometimes may too soon - "have to find a way to be much better at"

Ummm..."You're not ready and we sign your paycheques?"

• STB asked if they were "too small" - Fletch said management agrees they are not as big as they need to be. Cited moves for Ristolainen, signing Thompson, claiming Brown; thinks that guys in the system (Allison, Laczynski, Radcliff) have some size

Chuck, you need players with skill and size...and IQ. 

• "In terms of Ristolainen, obviously I paid a big price to trade for him with the expectation and hope that he’d be a part of this group going forward, and that’s something we’re working on."

SMFH.

• Briere talked about some of the prospects: Frost "only second year" due to injury; Old Foerster a "special prospect"; Brink leading nation in college scoring; Attard/York/Zamula on the back end
  • organization* has tremendous resources and they intend to use them; will spend to cap; "To sit in a room with Dean Lombardi, Paul Holmgren, Danny Briere, our pro scouts, (assistant general managers) Brent Flahr and Barry Hanrahan, and Ian Anderson – there’s some smart people here. "
  • Carter Hart still their guy, only 23 and playing well despite some hiccoughs; worked to rebound from last year and make necessary adjustments
    • good goalie prospects in the system

Yes, we have prospects.

Thank God they're going to spend to the cap....wait a minute, they do that every single year! That's how we end up with JVR and Kevin Hayes.

None of this is directed at you Rad. 

• Like 4

CF says they need more high end talent

To CF -->No s*** sherlock

"In terms of Ristolainen, obviously I paid a big price to trade for him with the expectation and hope that he’d be a part of this group going forward, and that’s something we’re working on."

which means they he overpaid and has no idea what to do next ....

organization* has tremendous resources and they intend to use them; will spend to cap; "To sit in a room with Dean Lombardi, Paul Holmgren, Danny Briere, our pro scouts, (assistant general managers) Brent Flahr and Barry Hanrahan, and Ian Anderson – there’s some smart   VERY DUMB AND CLUELESS   people here. "

FIFY .....

@radoran .... as FC mentioned ...none of this is directed at you .....

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

Briere talked about some of the prospects: Frost "only second year" due to injury; Old Foerster a "special prospect"; Brink leading nation in college scoring; Attard/York/Zamula on the back end

Im willing to bet $100 that none of these guys make an ASG in the next 5 years.

11 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

For those keeping score at home ....

image.png.dc864d7d01d9ab68c52a9f4bba9d19b7.png

If they play this out properly Buffalo  and Seattle will pass them. Unfortunately it's been 46 years since they played it out properly.  One of the STBs should have cross checked this dumb ass in the mouth. They are all so freaking arrogant. What a waste of everyone's time.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Im willing to bet $100 that none of these guys make an ASG in the next 5 years.

If they trade Giroux and he re-signs with said trade partner, they have a shot...since every team has a representative! 

So we got that going for us!

• Good Post 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/1/2022 at 1:38 PM, OccamsRazor said:

None of this matters if it isn't spent the right way.

Perfect example:

I can take $100 and go shopping and feed the family maybe two meals on it.

My wife can take $100 and feed us for damn near a week.

Well I can tell you who I prefer shopping for groceries...

🤮

i go once, spend the $100 on Bourbon and beer. She never sends me again, and I stay polluted

its a win-win

• Haha 1