Game 55: Blackhawks at Flyers; 3/5/22 @ 3 PM, ABC

Howie58

47 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

haha yes I was wondering too...how will the collapse happen this time? You know it will. And then...what? The won?

How about that PP huh? They execute the slingshot dealy deal. Great, that gets them into the neutral zone (usually). But after that there's no plan of attack, like it's the unit's first time out together. Same thing happens 6 on 5. Have they scored an EN all year? They certainly give up enough.

And now I guess wins do more harm than good. I understand this draft is nothing spectacular but it'd still be nice to pick 1 or 2. Scratch that. Pick 1st (for once). Flyers 2nds have been underwhelming to the least.

We have gotten used to seeing them lose. A win defies logic! I think it was either Hartnell or Morganti who said the Flyers PP is a momentum detractor. That is sad!! 

God knows where they will draft. Will they choose wisely? 

• Uggh... 1

Ugh yes that PP is a real killer, perfect for sapping any good feeling they might be building. The Flyers have the most predictable PP in the NHL. At least it’s easy to tell who’s out there since they never move off their spot - ha!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

At least it’s easy to tell who’s out there since they never move off their spot - ha!

This is one reason I just can't watch it. It's been this was for ten years.

People keep blaming the PP coaches for not "fixing" it.

It just might not be the coaching... Maybe the goalie?

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

This is one reason I just can't watch it. It's been this was for ten years.

It just might not be the coaching... Maybe the goalie?

Well at least someone has the balls to call them out even thought that should be his job. I guess the Captain isn't going to do it.

Sure just lip service and too little to late.

"The team got called out pretty loudly by our coach," Kevin Hayes said about Yeo's message following Thursday's loss. "I thought the boys responded the right way. It goes a long way when your teammates are sticking up for one another."

"That's what we're looking for," Yeo said. "Accountability, it's one thing to say it, but you've got to go out and you've got to do it. He definitely did that tonight."

Yeah well when you blow 4 leads in one game, at home no less…no surprise the players got an earful. It was great to see them respond to it…I wish it actually mattered. Oh well at least changes are a-coming…and guys are getting healthy. That will have to do. Rush right out and scoop up those cheap seats!

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Rush right out and scoop up those cheap seats!

I dunno, man, my wife wants to see Sigur Ros at the Met and they ain't cheap.

I'm also kinda more interested in Icelandic art rock at this point...

:hocky:

Edited by radoran

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I dunno, man, my wife wants to see Sigur Ros at the Met and they ain't cheap.

I'm also kinda more interested in Icelandic art rock at this point...

:hocky:

Dude, go see Sigor Ros...saw them years ago, didn't know what to expect, still not sure what I heard but it sounded really cool.  Very unique and I guess, ambient type music. High quality production, unlike the orange puke you've seen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Dude, go see Sigor Ros...saw them years ago, didn't know what to expect, still not sure what I heard but it sounded really cool.  Very unique and I guess, ambient type music. High quality production, unlike the orange puke you've seen.

Saw them at the Mann Center in Philly and was entranced.

I'm a three chord punk rock guy and I loved it.

Can't wait.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, radoran said:

It just might not be the coaching...

Yeo has tried some new things and good for him. A big body in front of the net can generate some 2nd chances, etc. But besides that, and swapping Yandle for Provorov on PP1, that's been the extent of the changes on the PP all year. And all year it's clocked in around 14%.

A PP that's this bad for this long is on the coaches. They're the ones handing out the assignments.

Holding players accountable isn't easy in a league of professional players. Salaries, status, etc. all combine to undermine a coach's authority, even unintentionally. It's just the nature of things. But - if players don't respond the way coaches demand they can't keep giving them PP time.

PP time is big in the NHL, it's one of the few real sticks/carrots the coaches have. Without knowing the day-to-day I can't comment on who should sit. But it's safe to say in general the guys just aren't working hard enough to score PP goals.

44 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

A PP that's this bad for this long is on the coaches. They're the ones handing out the assignments.

So it has nothing at all to do with the one constant on the ice throughout that period?

It's the thing that they've changed at least three times over that time? That's the "problem"?

OK. Not sure I'm on board with that...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

So it has nothing at all to do with

Why do that? You don't generally lean on strawmen to support your arguments.

the one constant on the ice throughout that period?

What constant? I think my point is that all the skaters are "the one constant" and therefore much of the blame falls to the coaches for icing such a crappy PP night in night out.

It's the thing that they've changed at least three times over that time?

Yes and for the simple fact that all 3 coaches have iced exactly the same PP units - minus a player here and there. No meaningful changes were made. Yes you can only work with what you have but anyone coaching the Flyers' PP at this point should be making big changes. Yeo has definitely stuck his toe in the water and I give him credit for that much. Maybe we'll see even more.

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yes and for the simple fact that all 3 coaches have iced exactly the same PP units - minus a player here and there. No meaningful changes were made. Yes you can only work with what you have but anyone coaching the Flyers' PP at this point should be making big changes.

Right, my point is that we don't really know that coach after coach after coach is telling them to be stationary and uncreative on the power play.

That's on the players.

And there is one constant player throughout this period of ineptness, although it is, of course, #notallhisfault. It's just that everything is designed to go through him.

And it has worked out well for him, with the most power play points in franchise history, leading the least successful power play during the least successful decade of hockey in the organization*'s history.

#legendary #halloffame

9 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yes you can only work with what you have but anyone coaching the Flyers' PP at this point should be making big changes. Yeo has definitely stuck his toe in the water and I give him credit for that much. Maybe we'll see even more.

And the power play remains the same...

🤔

Just to add in about the PP and these were not my words - Chuck's that was supposedly the reason for the change in philosophy and why Ghost was dealt.

He said they wanted a guy who could QB the power play from the blueline and NOT just a D man to put the puck on net from the point and why Ghost struggled to even get shots through.

So the monkey wrench in their plans was their QB for the power play got hurt and only played 4 games and well they didn't have a backup plan and it has bit them in the ass among all the other injuries.

So well not sure what else they can do at this point.

Edit: I left out the part that Chuck said they wanted a puck distributor and that is what Ellis is.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 1

Yeo was asked about putting Sanheim there and he said last time they tried him there the rest of his game fell apart so might be why they are reluctant to change now.

The only other guy who has the chops to run the PP is York but no need to ask that of him now. Just limp through these games continue to get a good draft pick and hope they can find help this offseason if not at the trade deadline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

I'm more at When The Levee Breaks...

I found a good coach for this team.

I'd love to see this guy ripping them in the locker room and to see Giroux's face...

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd love to see this guy ripping them in the locker room and to see Giroux's face...

If that's all that guy does, none of today's professional athletes would put out for him.

My honest-to-god-hope is Giroux gets traded- so I don't have to keep seeing people upset because he is not a boisterous in your face person. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes he could bitch slap JVR who is the Private Pyle of the Flyers. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeo was asked about putting Sanheim there and he said last time they tried him there the rest of his game fell apart so might be why they are reluctant to change now.

The only other guy who has the chops to run the PP is York but no need to ask that of him now. Just limp through these games continue to get a good draft pick and hope they can find help this offseason if not at the trade deadline.

Our PP has been crap for most of the past 10 years. We have no fluid movement up ice or once in the offensive zone, It's predictable, everything starts with G on the left side, every team keys on him our passing is slow and telegraphed, there is no chemistry , our dmen can barely get a shot through, we barely get any quality scoring chances at all.You watch other teams and the passing plays and scoring chances are incredible .

Among other things, we need a guy like Allison in front of the net like how Simmonds used to be, York and Sanheim need to be groomed for the PP starting in camp And we need to develop at least one dominant line that actually has chemistry,  then you will see a better PP. Sanheim has shown some real glimpses of offensive skill with some great passing when he is up on the play creating offense. There is enough pressure on Provy playing huge minutes and trying to do too much.

This is really where I am on the whole thing. Watching other teams really demonstrates the disparity between the way they play and the way the Flyers do.

I just simply do not believe that the Flyers have for ten years hired the only coaches in the league who want them to continue doing it they way they've...

Oh, wait...

Wait What Omg GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

This is really where I am on the whole thing. Watching other teams really demonstrates the disparity between the way they play and the way the Flyers do.

I just simply do not believe that the Flyers have for ten years hired the only coaches in the league who want them to continue doing it they way they've...

Oh, wait...

Wait What Omg GIF

On a good note once G is traded they will have no choice but to revamp the PP

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

everything starts with G on the left side

So I say the problem just may start Herr.

Because you know guess who has been the guy the last 10 years....yeah.

So it is like when you are trying out a recipe and are waiting to get it right you start by changing one ingredient at a time...