*** 2021-22 Eastern Conference Finals: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at New York Rangers (M2) - (TBL WIN 4-2) ***

TBL vs NYR  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Lightning continue as Prince of Wales Champions? Or do the Rangers snatch that title en route to bigger things?

• Lightning in 4. Bolts show the Ranges how a two time champion handles business. In crushing fashion.
    • Lightning in 5. Rangers show a bit of attitude and drive, but the defending Champs are still way too much.
    • Lightning in 6. Rangers give it all, but the Lightning's talent, experience, and drive for success can't be overcome.
    • Lightning in 7. Blueshirts push the defending Cup champions to their limit, but fall short of greatness...just barely.
    • Rangers in 4. New Eastern standard. And they now reside in New York City
    • Rangers in 5. NY has learned their playoff lessons well and have an answer for just about everything the Bolts throw at them.
    • Rangers in 6. Great series that sees lots of championship caliber play from both sides, but it is now the Rangers' time.
    • Rangers in 7. The Bolts thought they had their path carved to the Finals, but NY shows they have the last say on who upstages who, and finally slay the electric dragon.

This poll is closed to new votes

That goal by Panarin, though the Lightning won Game 4 rather handily, could prove to be HUMUNGOUS for their confidence..especially if you believe in momentum. The Rangers lack of center icemen might be a problem for them moving forward.  Vasilevskiy has been almost invincible, these last two games.  I think this one goes 7.  

Lightning beat Rangers 4-1 in Game 4 to even East final

Updated: 5 hours ago

TAMPA, Fla. -- — The Tampa Bay Lightning delivered on a promise to play with a greater sense of urgency, storming back in the Eastern Conference finals against the New York Rangers and keeping their bid for a third straight Stanley Cup title alive.

Nikita Kucherov scored on a breakaway and Andrei Vasilevskiy had 33 saves Tuesday night, helping the two-time defending NHL champions shut down the Rangers 4-1 and even the best-of-seven series at two games apiece.

“We’ve got ourselves squared up in this series. It's great, much better than the position we were in a couple days ago. But this is where it gets down to the really tough stuff," Lightning captain Steven Stamkos said.

“These next couple of games, we have to go on the road and we have to find a way to win a game in their barn,” Stamkos added. “We’re looking forward to that challenge, but I really like where our game is now compared to where it was a couple days ago.”

Kucherov took a pass from Ondrej Palat in the middle of the ice and skated in on goaltender Igor Shesterkin to give the Lightning a two-goal lead just over 13 minutes into the second period.

With Vasilevskiy back on his game following a slow start to the series, that turned out to be more than enough offensive support to hold off a Rangers team that's suddenly found it difficult to score.

“They did a great job in the neutral zone. They collapsed pretty good in the ‘D’ zone. They blocked a lot of shots. They did the right things to win a hockey game," Rangers coach Gerard Gallant said of the Lightning.

Stamkos, Palat and Pat Maroon had goals for Tampa Bay, which has rebounded from losing the first two games of the series on the road to bolster its chances of becoming the first team in nearly 40 years to win three consecutive Stanley Cup championships.

Game 5 is Thursday night at Madison Square Garden, where the Rangers won Games 1 and 2 and are 8-1 this postseason.

“We’ve done a good job at home. I think if you look around the league a lot of teams play better in their home building," Gallant said.

“I’m disappointed tonight. I’m sure (the players) are,” the coach added. "But it’s a best two out of three, we still have the home-ice advantage, so we have to make sure we’re ready for the next game. The next one is big.”

Vasilevskiy stopped 28 of 30 shots to win Game 3 and was even better Tuesday night, when he extended a stretch in which he did not give up a goal to nearly 67 minutes before New York's Artemi Panarin scored on the power play at 16:27 of the third period.

Until Vasilevskiy's bid for a shutout ended, the Rangers hadn’t scored since Chris Kreider’s power-play goal put them up 2-0 at 9:44 of the second period in Game 3.

It has been all Tampa Bay since then, with Kucherov and Stamkos scoring to wipe out the Game 3 deficit before Palat won it in the final minute.

The defending champs started faster Tuesday night, scoring on Maroon’s rebound just 2:38 into the game.

It was the third goal of the playoffs for Maroon, a 34-year-old, fourth-line forward who’s chasing a fourth consecutive Stanley Cup title after winning with St. Louis in 2019 and signing with Tampa Bay before the following season.

Stamkos’ goal built the lead to 3-0 early in the third period. Palat added an empty-netter with 8.7 seconds remaining, finishing with a goal and two assists.

Shesterkin, who faced 51 shots in Game 3, stopped 27 of 30 shots Tuesday night.

“We’ve progressively gotten better, and I think we took some more positive steps tonight," Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. "We had a bit of a layoff, and I think now we’re starting to find our game. Now, we just have to keep this going in New York.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Ranger fans on FB going nuts after being up 2-0, sulking now...LOL.

"Sky is Falling" fans, eh?  
LOL....and to think...the Rangers can STILL win this!

I think, some people thought the Rangers were simply gonna run right through TB and end their reign without much of a fight from the Champs.
Silly people. :shifty: 

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to 2021-22 Eastern Conference Finals: Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) at New York Rangers (M2) - (Series Even 2-2)

I failed to look when NYR led the series, but now that it is dos-a-dos, los odds-meistros have the Lightning as significant favorites to win the series: -165 whereas Rangers are +145.  (It would be more tilted toward Tampa Bay if they had home ice advantage.)

My gut feeling says the Lightning hasn't reach his maximum intensity yet and the number of games is taking a toll on the Rangers.

If the Lightning go past NY, it will roll over the Avalanche in 4 or 5 (because much better bottom-6 -- it's often this that dictates a SC outcome, and much better goaltending).

The Lightning, once again, played more like what everyone was used to, and lo and behold, they come up with another convincing win!

Thankfully, Coach Cooper saw that he needed to get back to the 12 forward, 6 defenseman setup...even if the 12th forward is Riley Nash in for Brayden Point.
Trying to roll 3 lines and a makeshift 4th line simply wasn't cutting it against a team with the talent and speed of the Rangers.

Yes, staying out of the penalty box makes HUGE difference, and the reason I believe they were able to stay out of the penalty box more often was because the team was ATTACKING more, drawing the Rangers to play more defensively, causing more ice time for NY to be spent trying to manage the frenzy in their own zone, and causing Ranger players to take more penalties themselves because of all that.

As good as NY had played the first two games, these last two, with the Lightning forcing all kinds of issues in Ranger zone, showed that young team is STILL susceptible to the pressures of trying to fend off an experienced, talented championship group like the Lightning, and the overall defense and even Igor himself, looked pretty ordinary at times.

These are lessons I am sure the Rangers are learning well and they will be a better team for it in the long run, but for the here and now, the Bolts are absolutely doing the right thing going after the NY defense, bothering Shesterkin in the paint (those constant brushes, pushing of his pads, or general contact, borderline though some may be, are NOT by accident), and not allowing NY too much speed through the neutral zone and playing THEIR WAY!

With a stable 4th line, Patrick Maroon and PE Bellemare are more of a factor in the proceedings, and those guys showed what happens when NY focuses too much on the top lines, and don't respect the abilities of the bottom six.

Physicality has also picked up on the part of the Lightning. For sure, NY is giving that part of it back, but again, with Maroon and his cronies going out for regular shifts on the 4th, they are able to deliver more punishment on a constant basis...although, it looks like some of the Bolts' top sixers aren't shy about taking the body either!

Now the series shifts back to MSG, and I certainly hope the Lightning don't change too much of what worked in Games 3 and 4. Obviously, the one advantage they won't have is last change (I am sure Coach Cooper took big advantage of that at Amalie), but still, if the Bolts execute properly, continue to dictate the pace more often, not having last change shouldn't be that big of a detriment.

Also nice to see Andrei Vasilevskiy look more like his normal self!

Link to NHL . com where they talk about the possibility of Brayden Point playing in Game 5.
Also, the Rangers, supposedly are "angrier" heading into G5.

Point could be back for Lightning in Game 5 against Rangers (nhl.com)

Point.... I really hope they aren't rushing him back. I know the Bolts would rather have him in there (hell the Lightning fans want him in there!), but right now, series even, the Lightning just have to execute as they have been and they should be fine.
If Point could use further time, maybe be available for a G7, do or die, fine.... but unless he really is ready to go, I don't want to see any "experimenting" going on with him.

If the Lightning get by the Rangers, I would like to have a healthy Point for the Colorado Finals!

As for the Rangers being "angrier", well that's fine for them, but if that is ALL THEY HAVE, then they are in trouble.
They need to take advantage of the last change matchups and get their execution level to where the Bolts had theirs the last two games and put TB on their heels by playing fast and playing smart.... more smart than 'angry'.

Angry may be more intense, but it may also lead to "stupid"....and stupid will get them their arses handed to them by the Lightning if TB starts getting the PP time they were denied the last time they were in NY.

Like I stated in the Western Conference Finals thread between the Colorado Avalanche and Edmonton Oilers whoever comes out the victor in this series will pose the toughest threat of the playoffs for the Avs so far.  So honestly, I could care less which team wins this series because I feel both teams pose some problems for the Avs, but what I feel is more important right now in this series is that is goes 7 games. 

Felt a bit light in the spectator sports department with no NHL playoff game to gorge on, but that will be remedied tomorrow night as The Champs look to continue their series resurgence against the New York Rangers.
Of course, being a baseball fan, I had that at least to keep me entertained. Got to see some of the game where the Rays pounded the Cardinals 11-3 and the Twins took out the 'big bad Yankees' 8-1 as well.

But, regular season baseball isn't quite playoff hockey, so, with that in mind....
Does the series shifting back to the scene of the Rangers best played games change anything here?
We will see.

If the Bolts are only as good as their home ice, then it will be NY going to face the Avs as the Lightning will HAVE to win a road game somewhere in order to continue.

Man, I couldn't have been more wrong on the Bolts. I thought there was no way they'd win one back at Amalie and they won them both. 

Rangers gonna rue the day they blew that 2-goal lead and 2 game series lead. They looked beaten in Game 4 from what I saw and I didn't see a lot of that one but the body language was really bad. No fight in them and dejected.

Absolutely stunning that I now wonder if the Rangers will win another game. 

An Avs/Bolts final would be fantastic. A Rangers/Avs would be good, too, but I think I want to see Tampa go for 3. 

Who would you rather be in a pivotal Game 5? Tampa. The reeling Rangers better hope MSG is some kind of 7th man for them Thursday night. 

Well the last poster is right about the Rangers in game 4.  But lets not forget how much better this team is at home.  That was Tampa's best game of the entire playoffs.  Not sure they can keep it up. The Rangers really could use a win tonight.   This is a monster of a game.  I think that Colorado will be solid favorites over either team.  And I believe they will likely beat either. Vasilesky has kept the Bolts alive. If I spelled his name wrong I could are less.  I cant stand them. Or Cooper and his arrogance.  LETS GO RANGERS!!!!  LETS GO RANGERS!!!!  OH OH OH!!!!!  OH OH OH!!!!!!!

I DO keep hearing left and right about "the Rangers are home", "NY plays lights out at MSG", "Glad to be home to feed off the crowd".

Look...that stuff may be so, but again...if THAT IS ALL the Rangers are banking on, then they are in trouble!
I would say that if the Rangers beat the Lightning tonight, it will be in LARGE part because they played better, dictated the game, and yes, being in the comforts of home (with the matchup advantage), plays a part, but MSG does NOT magically make the Rangers unbeatable.

Shame on the Champs if they let this whole "crowd" thing become a factor.
If TB plays like they did at Amalie, they skate away with the victory...simple as that.

The crowd doesn't get on the ice and play the game. Yes, playing on home ice is a small X factor but what dictates how the game goes is the play of the players who suit up and take the ice. It is as simple as that. 

The players and coaches of both teams know what they both need to do and they have been working on that since the last game. They aren't worried about what the fans are going to be doing or not doing. all that chatter about the Rangers got this game because it is on home ice is coming from the fans and not the players and coaches. 

Cheering does help motivate players, but everyone of these players are professional athletes and if they cannot get motivated for a game like tonight even if it is being played on a backyard pond then they should not be playing in the game. 

According to pre-game reports regarding injuries, the Rangers will have Filip Chytil, Ryan Strome, and Barclay Goodrow in tonight.
None of those guys are likely 100% (then again, who really IS at this time of year!), but apparently they are well enough to play.

For the Lightning, the main injured player is of course, Brayden Point, and he has been ruled out for G5 (even though the reports say he looked pretty good in practice, albeit, no contact), but there is a possibility he returns for either a G6 or G7 if it gets that far.

I am half n half on that news...obviously, would LOVE to see Point skating out there, but since the series is tied, and the Bolts are still capable of beating NY even without him, I think I'd rather have him stay out and (hopefully), see him skate against the Avalanche.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

12 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

According to pre-game reports regarding injuries, the Rangers will have Filip Chytil, Dylan Strome, and Barclay Goodrow in tonight.
None of those guys are likely 100% (then again, who really IS at this time of year!), but apparently they are well enough to play.

For the Lightning, the main injured player is of course, Brayden Point, and he has been ruled out for G5 (even though the reports say he looked pretty good in practice, albeit, no contact), but there is a possibility he returns for either a G6 or G7 if it gets that far.

I am half n half on that news...obviously, would LOVE to see Point skating out there, but since the series is tied, and the Bolts are still capable of beating NY even without him, I think I'd rather have him stay out and (hopefully), see him skate against the Avalanche.

I always want to have teams especially when it comes to these important games at full strength. That rarely does happen, but it would be nice.  There is still some chance that Kadri and Cogliano could be a part of the Stanley Cup Finals that that would be a huge boost for the Avs. 

If the Lightning do make it past the Rangers, I also hope Point can skate because I want the Avalanche to defeat the complete Lightning squad in the Finals. The same would be said if the Rangers make it. 

That K'Andre Miller is turning into quite the defenseman!

To think, the reports of Tony DeAngelo belittling Miller while he was here, and some people were thinking DeAngelo was the more talented D-man....despite his a-hole tendencies.

Not sure if K'Andre will be a true #1, but he is a fantastic shut down guy with a bit of offensive skill it seems, who could easily be a 1b or 2a if he continues his development the way he is.
Smart, hits, covers pretty well, good shot, good legs.

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Reason #56--
Rangers would like to win this game without giving the Lightning unnecessary power plays. :shifty: 

Well, yeah...but they give up a big guy who can throw his weight around, and stir the pot.🙂

4 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Well, yeah...but they give up a big guy who can throw his weight around, and stir the pot.🙂

And THAT is part of the problem.
There is "stirring the pot" and "tipping over the pot".

Last game out, some Bolts players were doing stuff to try and get under the skin of the Rangers....and TB players got called (Sergachev was on I remember specifically), then idiot Reaves, AFTER the TB player was going to the box, goes and gets called for some retaliatory thing.

Hey, not saying that is why Reaves is scratched, but let's just say it wouldn't surprise me if the Ranger head coach would like to keep his team out of the penalty box.
NY still has plenty of guys who can throw weight around....and do it without the IQ of a Cro Magnon. ;) 

• Like 1