Johnny Hockey a done deal? (EDIT: JG Signs with Blue Jackets)

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think they switch to Danny B.

I love you that you believe this will be an improvement.   I can't argue otherwise.   And I do appreciate the hope.

But from where I sit, as long as Comcast, Scott, and Holmgren are in any way associated with the team, the Flyers are a cess pool.

Seriously, with the way that Comcast runs its other business units, the only way they march on is because they're so big and because they're a monopoly (defined by sober people not involved in municpal governments) in many areas.  In business verticals or geographic areas where they're not a monopoly, they suck.

I have a relative that works for them in their Philly offices.   16 months.   4 complete reorgs.   In each situation, everything they were doing for the previous time period was full-stop.   Remake the wheel.  Repeat.

It doesn't work with a sports team, but it sounds vaguely similar.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I love you that you believe this will be an improvement. 

I have no doubt it will be an improvement over Chuckles.

What i can't say is by how much or even close to what they need.

So i have no conviction it will be a whole lot better but ding dong the witch is DEAD!

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And I do appreciate the hope.

And that is all we have.

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But from where I sit, as long as Comcast, Scott, and Holmgren are in any way associated with the team, the Flyers are a cess pool.

All you need to know.

FXeF2L2XgAA7TPM.jpg.9a44f0b41873660f26ef0e5d9fa58150.jpg

Is it possible they have a BC Alum i wasn't aware of then???

You tell me...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And that is all we have.

Cheers to that, my friend!

I've given up, but that says more about me than anyone else (you included).  But that's where I am currently. 

I know I'll come on here later this week  b######g about some kazillion dollar kazillion year signing of a 57 year old plane crash victim with acid reflux and a leg sewed on where his shoulder used to be and someone (not you) will aptly ask, "I thought you gave up?"   Though now that I write it to you, I'm sure you will.  LOL

But really, I've given up.  It won't stop me from noticing and being infuriated by continuing insanity.   And I don't know why I'll continue to kvetch.  I'm sure there will be an ingredient of "see!  I told you!" out into the ether (not to anyone in particular), but most will be just sheer exasperation at the clear and present inanity of it all.  Like, "why can't anyone that matters see this?  Why is everyone who matters seemingly driving this?"   It' s beyond frustrating.   Hockey isn't the only thing I'm going through where this is the case, so that might be the crux of it.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

34 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Cheers to that, my friend!

I've given up, but that says more about me than anyone else (you included).  But that's where I am currently. 

I know I'll come on here later this week  b######g about some kazillion dollar kazillion year signing of a 57 year old plane crash victim with acid reflux and a leg sewed on where his shoulder used to be and someone (not you) will aptly ask, "I thought you gave up?"   Though now that I write it to you, I'm sure you will.  LOL

But really, I've given up.  It won't stop me from noticing and being infuriated by continuing insanity.   And I don't know why I'll continue to kvetch.  I'm sure there will be an ingredient of "see!  I told you!" out into the ether (not to anyone in particular), but most will be just sheer exasperation at the clear and present inanity of it all.  Like, "why can't anyone that matters see this?  Why is everyone who matters seemingly driving this?"   It' s beyond frustrating.   Hockey isn't the only thing I'm going through where this is the case, so that might be the crux of it.

For whatever reason to me it is like a car wreck i can't look away from.

You've stuck around this long sure you don't what to see what the Mad Hatter has up his sleeve then bow out when the dust settle??

I am headed to Surfside beach and Murrels Inlet tomorrow but i will be checking in...

blog.jpg

...the plot thickens...and i'm not even doing any fishing this time. Fug the Flyers...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

For whatever reason to me it is like a car wreck i can't look away from.

You've stuck around this long sure you don't what to see what the Mad Hatter has up his sleeve then bow out when the dust settle??

Man, is this dead on.    This is pretty much me with every single episode of "The Boys."

It really is exactly this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am headed to Surfside beach and Murrels Inlet tomorrow

Man, have a great time.   

I spent last weekend in NYC with my daughter (she moved to Queens in February).  We had an awesome time.

Have a great time.  Be only as safe as you have to be.  Live to tell about it.   Cheers, my friend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I know I'll come on here later this week  b######g about some kazillion dollar kazillion year signing of a 57 year old plane crash victim with acid reflux and a leg sewed on where his shoulder used to be and someone (not you) will aptly ask, "I thought you gave up?" 

I can hear you!

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

And I don't know why I'll continue to kvetch.  I'm sure there will be an ingredient of "see!  I told you!" out into the ether (not to anyone in particular), but most will be just sheer exasperation at the clear and present inanity of it all. 

I can still hear you!

53 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This is pretty much me with every single episode of "The Boys."

HA funny you should say that the wife and i sat down at watched episode one of season 3 last night and it was.....gulp...

• Like 1

You know, tomorrow,  when JG signs with NJ, and they go on to bitch slap our Flyers for the next decade, It will cause me to reserve a spot on the nearest bridge.

Edited by CoachX

17 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I'm going to laugh if Fletcher's insanely stupid and short sighted cap management hamstrings his ability to sign Gaudreau to an insanely stupid and short signed contract.

Just stack it with the rest...

• Like 1

Yeah, we can all laugh at Fletcher's mishaps, and add not signing JG to that list. But while we are busy laughing at his screw ups, JG will sign somewhere, and if that happens to be a division rival, I wonder how much laughter will be there when the Flyers continue get worked by a powerhouse

Just now, CoachX said:

Yeah, we can all laugh at Fletcher's mishaps, and add not signing JG to that list. But while we are busy laughing at his screw ups, JG will sign somewhere, and if that happens to be a division rival, I wonder how much laughter will be there when the Flyers continue get worked by a powerhouse

I'm happy if he signs elsewhere. Anywhere is fine.

Here is an excerpt from an excellent article written by Charlie O'Connor, whom I am really starting to like as a sports journalist .......

A look at the Flyers’ cap situation on the verge of free agency

With free agency on the horizon, it’s helpful to understand exactly where the Flyers stand in terms of cap space in the wake of the Lindblom buyout, especially with the club potentially positioning itself for further moves.

By my estimation, the Flyers currently have 17 players under contract who I view as clear-cut NHLers, and after accounting for Lindblom’s $333,333 cap credit, they account for a little less than $76.02 million worth of cap spend — $6.48 million below the $82.5 million cap ceiling.

Here’s a look at the projected roster as it currently stands, assuming full health for all players:

image.png.c51b1d20b36456d2e8397134f21126e0.png

So what does this mean for their cap flexibility? Can they fill out the roster comfortably now? And can they pursue a big-ticket free agent like Gaudreau in the wake of the Lindblom buyout?

First, the short answer is yes, the Flyers could fill out their roster now, even accounting for their RFAs, and be compliant. Using Evolving-Hockey’s contract projections model, Frost is expected to receive a little over $1 million per year on his next contract, Tippett is looking at about a $2.12 million cap hit and MacEwen is tracking to receive in the $921,000 range. That would give the Flyers with 12 forwards, seven defensemen and one goalie (a 20-man roster) with $2.44 million in cap space remaining to sign a backup goalie (or to slide Felix Sandström and his $775,000 cap hit into the role) and add one more depth forward to the mix. That’s doable.

Of course, that wouldn’t be an especially spicy UFA day on Wednesday, and it’s nowhere near enough to take a run at Gaudreau, who at least is going to clear $9 million per year. What if they found a way to move out all of van Riemsdyk’s $7 million cap hit? Would that be enough?

Well, sort of. At first glance, it’s certainly not, especially after accounting for the UFAs. Take a look at a JvR-less roster, with a gaping hole for where Gaudreau would fit:

image.png.c18df895fb31e1b4b5dbd06aaa5012db.png

Yeah, that’s still not enough. $9.44 million might be enough to fit Gaudreau if he was willing to take a hometown discount. But it wouldn’t be enough to also get a backup goalie and also an extra forward or two under the cap.

But there’s one wild card here: The status of Ryan Ellis.

If Ellis is indeed ticketed for LTIR to start the season (and perhaps well beyond) and the Flyers are preparing for this inevitability, as the DeAngelo trade certainly implied, then that would open up significantly more cap allowance — over $15 million on the whole. That’s enough to fit Gaudreau, a backup netminder and even a bargain third-pair righthanded shooting defenseman to fill out the blue line corps behind DeAngelo and Ristolainen.

It wouldn’t come without pain — tapping into LTIR isn’t ideal as it makes banking cap space during the season close to impossible and can complicate call-ups — but it would be possible. If Fletcher found a way to move JvR and his entire $7 million cap hit, that is.

There in is the problem we all know.  No one wants JVR, he is the epitome of the gift that keeps on giving.  

More from the same article .....  I will just copy and past to make it easier than me trying to summarize the major points .....

There’s been lots of talk over the past few years about how the Flyers might regain their identity, and most people seem to take that to mean “winning a lot of hockey games.”

The front office is certainly trying to do that. It’s not like they intentionally built the fourth-worst team in hockey last season. And moves like the Tortorella hire, the Ristolainen trade, the DeAngelo trade — say what you will about them, they are traditional Flyers-type moves, flashy, “look at what we just did” announcements.

But what has been the Flyers’ true identity, really, under it all, for all these years? Chaos. Mayhem. On the ice (i.e. the Broad Street Bullies), yes, but also off the ice.

Think about the constant pursuits of the most expensive free agents. Offer sheets. The Eric Lindros trade. Stripping the “C” off their captain on national television. The team mutiny on then-head coach Bill Barber. The Mike Richards and Jeff Carter trades and Ilya Bryzgalov signing. That’s the true Flyers’ brand — unpredictably entertaining, even in their worst moments.

But here’s the thing about chaos. It’s a lot easier to sustain when you can outspend almost everyone else and always have the option of throwing money at fixing the inevitable mistakes that result from said chaos. The Flyers could do that before, in the pre-salary-cap world. And now they can’t. That, at its core, is the real issue here.

If I have said once before I will say it again .....the core of the problem off the ice is that the Flyers never learned on how to operate in the NHL with a salary cap and a way the game is now played on the ice.  They have dinosaurs in the FO that simply have not adapted to the the new NHL.

And we the fans have been suffering for 10+ years because of the their lack of foresight.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 2

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Here’s a look at the projected roster as it currently stands, assuming full health for all players:

Lol, when you put it all together like that, this roster really stinks.  Bring in JG, don't bring in JG - they are going to be bad.  They are a few Torts blocked shots or a Hart groin pull away from the #1 pick bad.

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

There’s been lots of talk over the past few years about how the Flyers might regain their identity, and most people seem to take that to mean “winning a lot of hockey games.”

The front office is certainly trying to do that. It’s not like they intentionally built the fourth-worst team in hockey last season.

Imagine what the Flyers could do if they actually tried to tank?  Would they win a Cup by accident?

Also, I might add, everyone is forgetting that Farabee will be out at the start of the season with no time table for his return.  Just saying ........ 

Also ....looking at the defensive pairs ...

1st - Ellis out (we have no clue on his health)

2nd - RIsto (defensive liability)

3rd - D'Angelo ( the epitome of all offense and NO Defense)

this defense is gonna suck and it goes back to Torts is gonna have to try to fit round pegs into square holes

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1