Johnny Hockey a done deal? (EDIT: JG Signs with Blue Jackets)

like it or not, mentally prepare, signs pointing to yes as to Flyers signing Gaudreau.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/07/hockey-insider-says-johnny-gaudreau-will-become-a-flyer.html

any other G named players we need?  Giroux? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Edited by pilldoc
edit title
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

If true ...things about to get interesting on this forum ........

Ll Cool J GIF by reactionseditor

One of few positives should this come to fruition, John Hockey wants to play in Philadelphia.

That may help in the recruitment of other good players. 

@flyer4ever makes a solid point when he says the team hasn't been relevant lately. 

John Hockey signing here may help that.

There are a billion things that need to happen until this is real so I won't be holding my breathe, or gnashing my teeth about cap-space.

Icing a competitive team has to start somewhere.  I'll say this 1000x here and now is as fine a place as any to start.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

not so fast  🤪

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34213237/as-nhl-free-agency-approaches-gm-brad-treliving-says-calgary-flames-working-get-deal-done-johnny-gaudreau

flames sound optimistic but could just be, until they're not.

...like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.

I can't say I've ever seen this dude play, would he be a good pick-up for the Flyers?  or is this just another in a local-kid-comes-home wish year after year that never happens a la Bobby Ryan?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

..like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.

Hard to believe that show is 57 years and running with 14,000+ episodes ........ Do people still watch this show????

8 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

not so fast  🤪

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34213237/as-nhl-free-agency-approaches-gm-brad-treliving-says-calgary-flames-working-get-deal-done-johnny-gaudreau

I can't say I've ever seen this dude play, would he be a good pick-up for the Flyers?  or is this just another in a local-kid-comes-home wish year after year that never happens a la Bobby Ryan?

honestly ...without dumping salary and trading away stiffs, I don't see how the Flyers fit him under the Cap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

honestly ...without dumping salary and trading away stiffs, I don't see how the Flyers fit him under the Cap.

They could swing a trade and/or put Ellis on LTIR seems that is what is up.

I would have to think if Johnny was even coming a LW has to be out the door.

Like JVR and picking up 50% we just have to wait and see what else is up their sleeves.

I am nervous Aggressive rebuild and all...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They could swing a trade and/or put Ellis on LTIR seems that is what is up.

I would have to think if Johnny was even coming a LW has to be out the door.

Like JVR and picking up 50% we just have to wait and see what else is up their sleeves.

I am nervous Aggressive rebuild and all...

I think when it comes to it, JVR could be stashed in Arizona.  His cap is much higher than his actual salary, so it could be ideal for the Coyotes since it's one year.  Probably get a pick out of it  although there's now 3 less to choose from

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I think when it comes to it, JVR could be stashed in Arizona.  His cap is much higher than his actual salary, so it could be ideal for the Coyotes since it's one year.  Probably get a pick out of it  although there's now 3 less to choose from

Well why are you still standing there, I'll hog tie JVR, meet me around back we'll throw in the trunk and head West...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well why are you still standing there, I'll hog tie JVR, meet me around back we'll throw in the trunk and head West...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Tell him there's a free comfy La-Z-Boy waiting for him there and he'll drive himself.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

not so fast  🤪

He's pretty good. 

He is small,  but he is dynamic.

He's a player that can lift an arena out of their seats. 

The Flyers haven't had that since Giroux's sports hernia injury. 

He plays wing so he can disappear in games more than anyone likes at his salary point. 

He had two down years during COVID, prior to that he was a consistent high achiever during the regular season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll believe it, when I see it. Until then, I'm convinced that Gaudreau will remain in Calgary with the Flames. This team...and it's management do the same thing, almost every single year. They're going to make significant changes, bring in different players, try hard to improve..blah blah blah. So far, they brought in a talented guy, who has a "rap sheet" that outweighs his talent (DeAngelo). What is the appeal for Gaudreau to come to Philly, other than the Flyers are his favorite childhood team and he was born and lived, in south Jersey? I mean...he has to realize that he's going from a team WITH a shot, albeit a fairly long one, to win a Stanley Cup..to one with virtually NONE, if he makes his move to come here, and be in an organization run by Larry, Moe and Curly. I certainly hope he "comes home", but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Hard to believe that show is 57 years and running with 14,000+ episodes ........ Do people still watch this show????

Yeah, I think Bo and Hope are still together and Victor's evil twin brother is about to get back at those who wronged him haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/8/2022 at 12:00 PM, Cheesesteak said:

like it or not, mentally prepare, signs pointing to yes as to Flyers signing Gaudreau.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/07/hockey-insider-says-johnny-gaudreau-will-become-a-flyer.html

any other G named players we need?  Giroux? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

So what you're saying is the Flyers are guilty of tampering, because they wouldn't have been allowed to talk to him at that point. I love free agency rumours :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Let's see he'll be 29 in a few days. His expiring contract paid him $40mil over 6 years. I assume Fletcher and Co. will mortgage whatever future the Flyers have in trying to land him, so sure what can go wrong?

It would be fun to see JG play for the Flyers but signing another pushing-30 player doesn't really help this team in the long run. Of course the Flyers don't believe in no stinkin' long run. Unfortunately the long run is the only hand they've got. Too bad they'll never play it.

11 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

https://www.tsn.ca/salim-valji-treliving-optimistic-about-flames-re-signing-gaudreau-but-contingency-plans-must-be-co-1.1823504

"Gaudreau has been sitting on a contract offer in the eight-year, $9.5-million-per-year range for a month now."

Another crazy contract paying a guy until he's in his late Go to topic listing 30s.  Unfortunately, it sounds like a deal that Chuck and Co. are foaming at the mouth to top, and overpay even more than this.  🙄

Flames have more cap space last i looked 26+ mill and yes more guys to resign i give you that but the Flyers only have 118K till they trade someone or IR Ellis which they can't do till the start of the season (i think). Not sure how the Flyers can even be in this race even??

Now with all that cap space the Flames have only 6 forwards and 4 defensemen under contract moving forward.

So with 26 mill and say Johnny takes 9.5 mill of it which would leave 16.5 mill for Tkachuk and the other players with say KT get 9 mill too well leaves them still with 7.5 mill to resign the 4 defensemen 4 other forwards. So they too don't have a whole lot of space either when you get the contracts together.

Flyers have to be out on this unless they have some huge moves to free up space which scares the shat out of me what it would require Chuckles to do to make it happen....

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers have to be out on this unless they have some huge moves to free up space which scares the shat out of me what it would require Chuckles to do to make it happen....

I think there is definitely something happening in line with this statement

If it happens, mass hysteria will prompt the development of a forum lynch mob. Im looking forward to it

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I think there is definitely something happening in line with this statement

If it happens, mass hysteria will prompt the development of a forum lynch mob. Im looking forward to it

:PopcornSmiley2:

If it results in the decapitation of Fletcher and Holmgren (figuratively OR literally)....I'm all in!

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

On 7/10/2022 at 10:54 AM, GratefulFlyers said:

It would be fun to see JG play for the Flyers but signing another pushing-30 player doesn't really help this team in the long run.

When viewed as only a smallish in his prime forward, who will lose a step as he ages this is not unreasonable. 

However, nothing exists in a vacuum, so indulge me for a moment.

I don't think John Hockey, (he is an old now so I'm done calling him Johnny) will be an awesome player at the end of a 7 year deal either.

I do think for 5 of those he'll be very good, I think for 4 he'll be dynamic.

When I think about the effort to sign Gadreau, I think of how the Rangers kept Zabineajab and Krieder and then signed Panarin.

I think identifying who on the Flyers equates to a similar "old guard" to keep around would be helpful and I think Couturier and Farabee maybe fit those roles?

JvR and Hayes make this more complicated for one season at least. Less room to maneuver.

Chuck Fletcher hasn't shown he's really up to pulling some jedi mind **** on other GMs to actually get over on a trade, so maybe he's doing this, maybe it's Daniel Briere maybe it's you.

But, say things wind up working out a little bit. People buy into the Tortorella culture.

Couturier is healthy and back to 90% Selke form, The kid line that played well (relative term) towards the end of the year steps forward and pushes Hayes into line 3 duty.

Allison stays in the line-up in the NHL, Lacszynski adds bottom 6 versatility. 

DeAngelo provides scoring and puck moving ability and helps get the power play into to the top half of teams in the league.

John Hockey plays to an 85pt pace on 14's wing and the Flyers become a team that is hard to play against.

Carter Hart comes into his own and becomes a 2020's version of Carey Price.

The youngsters; Ol' Forrester, Wisdom, Andreae, Attard, Tuamaala, Gauthier plus 23 #1 pick filter into the team that no longer is a country club of losers, but has a winning or at least FU culture that JG helped create. If he's a decent mentor at all, he'll have an effect on these young guys well past his time as a team's best player.

It could be he has a great long-term effect on the team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

the Flyers only have 118K till they trade someone or IR Ellis which they can't do till the start of the season (i think). Not sure how the Flyers can even be in this race even??

They can be 10% over the cap until the season starts, which is where the Ellis money comes in and also, perhaps, say, half of JVR's? or they pull the trigger on Konecny/Sanheim...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

But, say things wind up working out a little bit.

I'm pulling the couch out to Broad Street.

Seriously, though, it's not entirely far fetched, although a lot of things have to go right.

My concern is the evaluation of John Q. Hockey who has been a point per game player in just half of his eight seasons, including one of the last three. Panarin had been a more than point per game player in all but his first two seasons when he had 151 in his first 162 and was a point per game player in both seasons before signing. Panarin's a 1.12 ppg career player and if you take out last season he's 1.09. Gaudreau's a 1.01 ppg career player and before last season was .95. I like Gaudreau - I don't like like Gaudreau as the centerpiece salary on the roster anticipating that he will put up 80+ points.

So, in the end, I'm in on the theory just maybe not in on the specific player.

And when it happens, we'll see :hocky:

• Like 1