Matt Murray acquired by Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs add veteran goalie before free agency, acquire Matt Murray from Ottawa Senators

9:07 PM ET
  • shilton_kristen.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Kristen ShiltonESPN NHL reporter

The Toronto Maple Leafs have acquired goaltender Matt Murray, a third-round selection in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft and a seventh-round selection in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for future considerations.

Ottawa will retain 25% of Murray's salary as part of the trade. Murray has two years remaining on his contract at $6.25 million period, leaving Toronto on the hook for $4.7 million of Murray's cap hit the next two years.

At present, Murray, 28, a two-time Stanley Cup champion with the Pittsburgh Penguins, projects to be the Maple Leafs' starting netminder moving forward, as incumbent Jack Campbell is set to hit the open market this week.

Toronto had failed to find middle ground with Campbell, the team's No. 1 goaltender for the last season and a half. Campbell now joins Darcy Kuemper as the top unrestricted free-agent goaltender targets when the signing period officially opens at 12 p.m. ET Wednesday.

The Maple Leafs traded last season's backup, Petr Mrazek, to the Chicago Blackhawks last week. Murray is the only goaltender with extensive NHL experience that Toronto has on next season's roster, though the Maple Leafs will pursue another seasoned netminder to complement him.

Murray was drafted 83rd overall by Pittsburgh in the 2012 NHL Draft and began his career there backing up for Marc-Andre Fleury. Murray won his back-to-back titles in 2016 and 2017, becoming the first rookie goaltender to ever earn consecutive Stanley Cup championships.

Murray was a pending restricted free agent when the Penguins traded him to Ottawa in October 2020, and the Senators signed him to a four-year, $25 million extension. The netminder struggled throughout his tenure in Canada's capital, going 10-13-1 with an .893 save percentage and a 3.38 goals-against average his first season.

In his second season, Murray was winless his first six games, and Ottawa swiftly placed him on waivers in November 2021. After the veteran went unclaimed, he was demoted to the franchise's American Hockey League affiliate, the Belleville Senators. He appeared in two minor-league games, with a 1-1-0 record and a .906 percentage.

52 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I have read this deal on several leaf boards and they are savagely ROASTING this trade. From Andersen to Campbell to...... This. Dreadful.

I do not understand the thought process of anyone involved in this exchange.

I guess we'll see what Ohtahwah does with the $4.6M they've "saved".

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

I do not understand the thought process of anyone involved in this exchange.

I guess we'll see what Ohtahwah does with the $4.6M they've "saved".

Honestly, I completely get it from Ottwawa -- until we see what the actual "future considerations" are, then maybe I change my mind.

But largely because I think Murray is terrible, I completely get the cap space and picks for a goalie who could be broken on his drive down the 7 to Toronto.    

Actually, in typical Toronto fashion, he'll do just well enough (when healthy) to get them to the first round and then help them implode in the first round.   I see no good on Toronto's side of the equation.   Pending FC, I see no downside in Ottawa.  They have goal covered.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Pending FC, I see no downside in Ottawa. 

I'll wager the "futures" are a laurel & hearty handshake. Which is, granted, more than the Flyers got for Ghost...

As for "needing cap space" the Sens haven't been within $7M of the cap for five years and had $19M in space when they paid a division rival to take the player.

I'm more about "what are they going to do with the space" than "what are they getting for futures?"

And until it's different, the answer to both is "not much".

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

But largely because I think Murray is terrible, I completely get the cap space and picks for a goalie who could be broken on his drive down the 7 to Toronto.    

I think Anton Foresberg is going to have a late blooming type career like Markstrom did after being traded smart move for Ottawa.

• Like 2

Well, good luck to poor Matt Murray when he has to make it safely to his car in the parking lot after the team announces he will miss 8-12 weeks late in the season with some ailment....and Toronto ends up with Dustin Tokarski and Aaron Dell as their goalie tandem to get them out of the first round (tee-hee!), this coming playoffs.

I believe Ottawa comes out on top here.
The one thing I will say is a bit of a head scratcher (and maybe its Ottawa doing Ottawa things) is attaching the extra 3rd round pick to this deal.
I get the salary retention... Toronto has limited cap space, so if the Sens really want the Leaves® to take Matted Murray, they'd need to hold onto some bux.
I get attaching a pick to sweeten things for Toronto, though TWO picks, with one being a 3rd rounder seems a tad excessive.

Why? Because really, Toronto needs a starting goalie MUCH more than Ottawa needs to offload one.
I think Ottawa could have said, "We will keep some of Murray's salary...here's a 4th or 5th round pick too...deal or no deal" and Toronto would have said yes.
Attaching a 3rd to the 7th WITH salary retention wasn't necessary, IMO.

Still, the Sens have opened things up for either Anton Forsberg or Filip Gustavsson to take control of the net, while they have big Mads Sogaard (21 yr old, 6'7 goalie) simmering in the AHL waiting to push through to the big leagues.

Whatever this Future Considerations guy can provide for the Sens would be just gravy.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm more about "what are they going to do with the space" than "what are they getting for futures?"

And until it's different, the answer to both is "not much".

Oh, okay.  Yeah, I'm on board with that.

But I think it's probably more about getting Gustavsson (sp?) playing time and not paying Murray to play in the AHL.   I'm guess it's probably more about keeping actual cash  than it is even about cap.   But it definitely reduces the creast to two arguably better goalies.

And this way Murray goes to the Leafs and gets to pretend he's NOT in the AHL.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think Anton Foresberg is going to have a late blooming type career like Markstrom did after being traded smart move for Ottawa.

Agree.  And if not, I think Gus is actually a fairly decent option, at least in the short term.

EDIT:  If not, we could always start the Debrincat and Gus (or Forsberg) for Price rumoUrs here.  🙃

Edited by ruxpin

2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

But I think it's probably more about getting Gustavsson (sp?) playing time and not paying Murray to play in the AHL.

And Anton Forsberg.

Murray also gets $15M over the next two seasons after getting $10M in the first two years of his deal, so the "actual money" likely does come into play.

And the Maple Leaes are just sure that this is going to be their guy, dangit!

Where have I seen similar behaviour recently... 🤔

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2022 at 10:16 AM, Math said:

Let's wait a bit for the Leafs fans to get out of the rage room, and maybe they will come and give their insights later on.

I was going to come here and vent a bit about the dreadful day Kyle Dubas had. I wasn't even planning on addressing Matt Murray.

But, then, I saw the Flyers talk and thought...man, the Leafs could be the Flyers and I still didn't feel better, but it gave me perspective.

Watching the Canes get Pacioretty, Burns and Kase while Toronto added Aube-Kubel, Gaudette and Malgin? Canes were already better. 

The Leafs got worse today. The projected opening night roster is DREADFUL.

The Murray deal is mostly upsetting for the cost for a cap-strapped team like Toronto.  When I read the rumors, I thought 50% retention by Ottawa was a given. When I saw it was just 25%, I was STUNNED. 

When it comes to the actual possible production, I wasn't all that upset. Jack Campbell was the nicest guy in the world, but also a head case that made him a giant question mark every single game. Yes, he could be hot enough to be an All-Star, but he was also at Petr Mrazek levels last year, too. 

So, now we have TWO new goalies with the erraticism to be as good as good Jack Campbell and bad Petr Mrazek. I just do not and will never understand paying Murray 4.7 when you moved your first for a second to dump Mrazek's 3.8. I would've bet the universe the Leafs were not paying more than 3.8 and then they add Murray for almost a million more? What? Matt Murray? I would've preferred Murray Bannerman. 

I guess the logic, beyond he has Soo connections which Kyle Dubas cannot and will not resist, is that he has won a playoff round before and a couple of Cups.  Not something you can say of Jack Campbell. 

Much more excited about Samsonov at 1.8.  I doubt he's any better than Murray but at least he's a motivated 1.8 guy who is playing for his next contract. I guess that didn't go so well in Washington, so I should temper expectations.

Overall, just a depressing day to be a Leafs fan. Felt like another loss in a Game 7. Sens and Wings on the come. Carolina getting much better.  As GM, Kyle Dubas needed to do ONE thing. Just ONE to make Leafs fans feel like it might be different. He did do that, today. Unfortunately, he seeded the idea that making the playoffs is not a given and the Leafs are now further away from the Cup than before this day started.  Losing Ilya Mikheyev is a big blow. Losing Ilya Lyubushkin hurts, too. Two Ilya's out. One Ilya in...meanwhile, I just feel ill all around. 

Edited by 3 Palmateers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/5/2022 at 9:52 AM, OccamsRazor said:

We know. The whole team...

I'm under no illusion that Murray will be the "Saviour" for the Leafs.  Even tho he's doing very well right now, I don't have much faith in him or the core to get over that hump and winning anything any time soon.

Still tho........the team is way, way, WAY better than the  Flyers at least. 

:) 

Edited by pilldoc

7 hours ago, Holymakinaw said:

Still tho........the team is way, way, WAY better than the Flyers at least. 

Sure and neither will win jack squat this year you guys will just choke again with a new scape goat again...

Edited by pilldoc

12 minutes ago, Holymakinaw said:

Always nice to make the playoffs, isn't it?

Sure if that is your only goal.

Don't understand the Konecny pic but whatever.

You'll be playing golf real soon with the Flyers.

FORE!!!

• 5 months later...
On 12/7/2022 at 1:23 PM, Holymakinaw said:

Always nice to make the playoffs, isn't it?

695805445_ScreenShot2022-12-07at1_21_37PM.png.e9a93c3ea50f9bba35aad0b5007ddfd8.png

How's them playoffs treating the Laffs fans once again?

This didn't age well for you.

Thoughts?

On 12/7/2022 at 1:00 PM, Holymakinaw said:

Still tho........the team is way, way, WAY better than the  Flyers at least. 

Are they now?

Guess they'll be blowing er up real soon...

...again.

Good luck at the range...

• 2 months later...