Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread 2022-23

I just checked our schedule. This week we are going to have 2 games with teams that we didn't play this 2022-2023 season. Tomorrow against Tampa team and Saturday against Buffalo team and then next day on Sunday we will play as usual not an easy game against St. Louis team. 

• 2 weeks later...

MINNESOTA WILD REPORTEDLY GETTING CALLS ABOUT MATT DUMBA

The Minnesota Wild will likely keep Matt Dumba if they remain in a playoff spot. But what happens if the team falls out by the NHL trade deadline?

https://thehockeynews.com/news/minnesota-wild-getting-calls-about-matt-dumba

1 hour ago, Jimtown guy said:

MINNESOTA WILD REPORTEDLY GETTING CALLS ABOUT MATT DUMBA

The Minnesota Wild will likely keep Matt Dumba if they remain in a playoff spot. But what happens if the team falls out by the NHL trade deadline?

https://thehockeynews.com/news/minnesota-wild-getting-calls-about-matt-dumba

Either way they are going to lose him, because the Wonder Twins dead money goes up by another $2+M next season. It's just a matter of when they lose him: March or July...

Kind of find it odd now that teams are interested in him when this summer it was reported that Guerin couldn't generate any interest in  Dumba...

Edited by IllaZilla

10 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Either way they are going to lose him, because the Wonder Twins dead money goes up by another $2+M next season. It's just a matter of when they lose him: March or July...

Kind of find it odd now that teams are interested in him when this summer it was reported that Guerin couldn't generate any interest in  Dumba...

Teams get a bit desperate at this time of the season compared to the summer. Hopefully the Wild can get something decent in return, be it a player or draft picks 

Teams get a bit desperate at this time of the season compared to the summer. Hopefully the Wild can get something decent in return, be it a player or draft picks 

I'd guess they'll look for prospects and draft picks. They really cant afford to take on any more salary with the $14M in dead cap money and Boldy, Steel, Duhaime, Shaw, Addisson and Gustavsson are all RFA's...

Russo was on KFAN yesterday. He says Greenway is in the dog house for showing up an hour before a game and missing team meetings. Also that Dumba is for sure being traded. Both are on the trade block. Greenway trade would free up $3m and Dumba $6m. That would afford them a top six center and they have guys in house who can play D in Dumba's vacated spot.

Russo was on KFAN yesterday. He says Greenway is in the dog house for showing up an hour before a game and missing team meetings. Also that Dumba is for sure being traded. Both are on the trade block. Greenway trade would free up $3m and Dumba $6m. That would afford them a top six center and they have guys in house who can play D in Dumba's vacated spot.

I've never been impressed with Greenway. Reminds me of Charlie Coyle. Shows flashes of brilliance and then will disappear for games.

I think Dumba gets a lot more hate from people on this site than he deserves. Part of it is the $6M salary. Part of it is the loss of Alex Tuch to Vegas. And part of it is that he's never been the same since that asshat Matthew Tkachuk made him fight over a clean hit. I think he's a decent defenseman and it's unfortunate the Wild are going to lose him because of the after effects of the Wonder Twins Contracts...

I think Dumba gets a lot more hate from people on this site than he deserves. Part of it is the $6M salary. Part of it is the loss of Alex Tuch to Vegas. And part of it is that he's never been the same since that asshat Matthew Tkachuk made him fight over a clean hit. I think he's a decent defenseman and it's unfortunate the Wild are going to lose him because of the after effects of the Wonder Twins Contracts...

I always liked Dumba, but this year has been bad. 
Something happened after that Tchuck fight and then last year’s big hit/ chest injury really messed up his game. 
His slap shot is inaccurate with a much bigger backswing, no where near as quick. His skating is much slower. 
Is he still recovering from last year’s injury, I wouldn’t doubt it. 
I hope they find a new home for him with a good return and that his game recovers. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I think Dumba gets a lot more hate from people on this site than he deserves. Part of it is the $6M salary. Part of it is the loss of Alex Tuch to Vegas. And part of it is that he's never been the same since that asshat Matthew Tkachuk made him fight over a clean hit. I think he's a decent defenseman and it's unfortunate the Wild are going to lose him because of the after effects of the Wonder Twins Contracts...

Something happened after that Tchuck fight and then last year’s big hit/ chest injury really messed up his game. 
His slap shot is inaccurate with a much bigger backswing, no where near as quick. His skating is much slower. 
I hope they find a new home for him with a good return and that his game recovers. 

I too have been a Dumba fan for a long while, but I can also certainly see the guff he gets from fans due to the reasons you pointed out (and seeing Alex Tuch succeed no matter where he ends up always re-opens THAT wound!)....and wholeheartedly agree: This season in particular, he has been horribad in just about every aspect of the game.
So bad, that it is enough for his longtime detractors to finally be able to say, "There you see...he sucks...always has!"

Whether that is fair or not.

He is the kind of player that if he is indeed traded, and maybe even playing for a more pedestrian contract, could be the perfect candidate to rebound as a 2nd or 3rd pair guy on another team looking for someone who can shoot the puck and hit a bit, even if his overall defensive game is still lacking.

If their cap issues weren't a thing, and Dumba and his agent would keep an open mind, places like Toronto, Tampa Bay, or Carolina could make good landing spots for him as those teams have good offensive presence players where Dumba wouldn't need to necessarily stand out...... simply fit in, and do what he can to supplement players on those teams already there.

While I now believe Dumba never was the number one type defender some thought him to be (yes, I thought he could be a top pair guy too), he is still young enough, and still has enough of a skill set where he can be a nice complimentary player for a few years on a team that just needs someone to play a good honest game, without the pressures of being a lead defender, or playing up to a big salary.

7 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

I've joked about it before, but seriously.... TRADE Greenway when he is on a good streak of his, as teams will be mesmerized by his combination of size and skill.
And do that BEFORE he gets hurt again.

Also said before, and yea, knowing they are different type players, but Greener reminds me of Guillame Latendresse with regards to the guy's size, the expectations people had for him....and his subsequent inability to stay healthy for any consistent length of time to put his ice tools to good use!

• Like 2

This was posted by @Jimtown guy in our NFL thread and I thought it was funny and appropriate for here as well.

Sadly, I think the Minneapolis-St. Paul airwaves for the next couple weeks will focus on "what went wrong" for the Vikings (again!), as opposed to how well the Wild are playing and what they should be planning for the trade deadline! 

Good one, Jim!

ED8B6F10-4164-4484-B619-D41AA68B6ECA.thumb.jpeg.7367b6b2677f865155f16c998e25f47b.jpeg.6f3a6eb215c8e99bcc6c2f5fd2155d5b.jpeg

• Like 1

The Minnesota Wild signed winger Matt Boldy to a seven-year pact with an average annual value of $7 million, the team announced Monday.

Boldy, 21, was slated to become a restricted free agent this summer.

The Massachusetts native currently sits fourth on the Wild with 12 goals and 29 points in 42 games so far this season while averaging just under 18 minutes of ice time per contest.

pact with an average annual value of $7 million, the team announced Monday.

Boldy, 21, was slated to become a restricted free agent this summer.

The Massachusetts native currently sits fourth on the Wild with 12 goals and 29 points in 42 games so far this season while averaging just under 18 minutes of ice time per contest.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 7:59 PM, Tomdog said:

For me it was neither of those for the most part. I don't usually equate salary to a player's performance and expectation after the signing of a major contract.
Did people think #11 and #20 were going to suddenly play Better because of their signings?? They were 'rewarded' with what they had done and also a way to lure them here for a splashy fan friendly signing.
In Dumba's case, He was rewarded for breakout season where the team's style focus on him blasting from the blueline. It worked for a while and at the same time made it easier to overlook his defensive inaccuracy's.
My dislike for him is because he hasn't improved in his abilities and by this time should have. I'm also mad at myself for buying in on him after  that 1 season thinking Ok, He could become something.
How many seasons have gone by now??
Then you have BG all gushing over him as a way to compare to Fiala and moving him. Now BG has to admit his error and do the same.
It's pretty clear to me that BG and/or Evason have less faith in Matt since Addison has taken his role in all aspects. (PK, PP) And even in 4 on 4 they go with Brodin and Spurgeon instead of the usual pairing.

I really want to see what kind of D pairing Brodin will be with if/when Dumba moves on. I feel Brodin has had to work even harder to compensate for Matt's lesser skills.
As for the Tuch issue, Dumba is just the scapegoat because of all the stupid dealings the GM's got away with.

• Good Post 1

27 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

With Boldy’s signing today Matt is definitely not with the team next year. 
I don’t see how they cover $7 mill plus a veterans contract next year. 

Dumba and Greenway will be elsewhere next season

26 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Dumba and Greenway will be elsewhere next season

Both have underperformed this season and have sadly made themselves expendable. Was hoping greenway would develop into a power forward like Tuch but he has regressed significantly.

• Like 1