Minnesota Wild In-Season Thread 2022-23

7 minutes ago, Math said:

The Wild did right in 2015. Eriksson Ek is a better and more complete player that can still improve. Boeser may be a good sniper but is a one-dimensional player that brings nothing else. I'd pass on him.

Agree with your take on EEK and Boeser.
EEK fits "Wild Hockey" very well.

That said, I'd love to have Boeser...PROVIDED, the Wild don't have to give up important pieces to acquire him.
Sometimes, you have to gut your team a bit to get ahold of a star type player....but it better be the RIGHT star type player.
As you said....Boeser is one dimensional.

A GREAT dimension, mind you, when he is going well....but when he isn't scoring, he isn't doing much of anything else.
If somehow the Wild can pry him loose without making major changes to the roster, fantastic. 
Otherwise, I am with you....pass.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

Filip Gustavsson heads into the #NHLAllStar Weekend with the No. 2 (tied) best goals against average and the 5th best save percentage

68D90C87-B945-4FA0-9753-C49151D2BD48.jpeg

What a surprise Filip turned out to be. I wonder if that changes how BG looks at keeping him after this season being a RFA.
I'll assume the plans were to plug in Wallstedt next season with Fleury but with Gustav's play, I could see a tandem with Wallstedt soon.

If Boeser is in the trade potential then we'd have to drop Dumba's and Greenway's salaries and unfortunately maybe one of our youth in getting him.
Hate to see somebody like Shaw, Steel, Walker be sacrificed.

I still wish to have him in our team. I just looked for his stats at elite prospects and they are pretty good. In his 7th season for Vancouver team he had 23-29 goals per season in 4 regular seasons. We really need more scorers. He is only 25 y.o. and has a nice potential for improvement. We have seen how many players improved in our team. An examples are Zuccarello; Fiala; Steel and etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Beckman has been Iowa's best scorer in the last week or so.  I thought he looked reasonably effective on Friday.  If I could, I'd keep reminding him to take any chance he can to shoot the puck.  But he's been steadily learning to be used in all situations in Iowa and I think he's made a lot of progress that way.  Is it enough to keep an NHL roster spot...only time will tell, but he's definitely not the one-dimensional scorer he was when he first turned pro.  

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting stat shown on NHL Network a bit ago:

When Kaprizov scores a goal, the Wild are 17-11-3

When Kaprizov DOESN'T score, the Wild are 20-10-4

Kinda dilutes the theory of "Shut Kaprizov down, and you can beat the Wild" doesn't it?

Obviously, the team as a whole NEED to score more.
But those records seem to indicate the Wild really do play as a complete unit, such as they are.
I think instead of "Shut Kaprizov down", in order for teams to beat the Wild, it would probably be "Cause panic in the defense", because that is the way the Wild have been winning: Stout defense, and stellar goaltending to go with it.

• Good Post 1

22 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Interesting stat shown on NHL Network a bit ago:

When Kaprizov scores a goal, the Wild are 17-11-3

When Kaprizov DOESN'T score, the Wild are 20-10-4

Kinda dilutes the theory of "Shut Kaprizov down, and you can beat the Wild" doesn't it?

Obviously, the team as a whole NEED to score more.
But those records seem to indicate the Wild really do play as a complete unit, such as they are.
I think instead of "Shut Kaprizov down", in order for teams to beat the Wild, it would probably be "Cause panic in the defense", because that is the way the Wild have been winning: Stout defense, and stellar goaltending to go with it.

IF Kap misses games, Then there'll be even more pressure on them to continue this excellent effort. Is it sustainable and for how long? 
We could use Brodin back ASAP to help such an effort.
On a lighter side, If Kap is out, We may set a team record for shot attempts in a game because nobody will know who to pass to. 😇

Minnesota Wild star Kirill Kaprizov 

Minnesota Wild star Kirill Kaprizov is expected to miss three-to-four weeks with a lower-body injury, the team announced Thursday.

Kaprizov exited Wednesday's clash against the Winnipeg Jets after getting tangled up with defenseman Logan Stanley.

uis expected to miss three-to-four weeks with a lower-body injury, the team announced Thursday.

Kaprizov exited Wednesday's clash against the Winnipeg Jets after getting tangled up with defenseman Logan Stanley.

11 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Minnesota Wild star Kirill Kaprizov 

Minnesota Wild star Kirill Kaprizov is expected to miss three-to-four weeks with a lower-body injury, the team announced Thursday.

uis expected to miss three-to-four weeks with a lower-body injury, the team announced Thursday.

Well I hate to see it but it might actually be good for us to see if others can step up and if we can prove that he isn't the only source of offense for this team.

Edited by bbgarnett

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

IF Kap misses games, Then there'll be even more pressure on them to continue this excellent effort. Is it sustainable and for how long? 
We could use Brodin back ASAP to help such an effort.
On a lighter side, If Kap is out, We may set a team record for shot attempts in a game because nobody will know who to pass to. 😇

Sadly, looks like he will be missing games.
3-4 weeks worth last I heard.

IMO, the team doesn't stray too far from what they've been doing though.
You are correct in asking how long can the Wild sustain their solid defensive play, but the answer will HAVE to be, "As long as needed".

For all intents and purposes, they are playing 'playoff hockey' right now.

Other guys are gonna have to find their offense, but fortunately, because of the way the Wild play, no single player will have to shoulder the burden as they can still get it done as a group.
Obviously, guys like Zuccarello and Boldy will be looked at to do more in Kap's absence, but you know, in reality, those two have needed to "do more" even WITH Kap in the lineup as their offense seems to have completely left them. So what they have to do won't change too much.

I am interested to see if guys like Shaw and the newly recalled Sammy Walker can up their game a bit, as well as see how the vets Johansson and Sundquist contribute to the overall offensive effort.
Again, not to sacrifice the sound defensive game they have all been playing, but if there was a time for those vets, who I would imagine are playing for contracts next year, to show their worth, now, with Kap sidelined, is the time.

Despite the bad news, Kap isn't expected to be out the whole rest of the season, though close to it, and should be available for the playoffs. 
Maybe a fresh from injury, RESTED, Kirill is a blessing in disguise for the Wild's playoff run.

• Like 1

With Kap outI think it is time for Reaves to sit. They  will need to have as much offense from all the lines to make up for the loss of Kaprizov. 
Reaves is just to much of an anchor for Dewar and Shaw to pull. 
The idea of him giving everyone a little more swagger is just not real. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

36 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

With Kap outI think it is time for Reaves to sit. They  will need to have as much offense from all the lines to make up for the loss of Kaprizov. 
Reaves is just to much of an anchor for Dewar and Shaw to pull. 
The idea of him giving everyone a little more swagger is just not real. 

Agree. Steel; Addison and Walker should also be involved into the offense during this the most important time of the season.

19 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I am interested to see if guys like Shaw and the newly recalled Sammy Walker can up their game a bit, as well as see how the vets Johansson and Sundquist contribute to the overall offensive effort.
Again, not to sacrifice the sound defensive game they have all been playing, but if there was a time for those vets, who I would imagine are playing for contracts next year, to show their worth, now, with Kap sidelined, is the time.

Despite the bad news, Kap isn't expected to be out the whole rest of the season, though close to it, and should be available for the playoffs. 
Maybe a fresh from injury, RESTED, Kirill is a blessing in disguise for the Wild's playoff run.

Exactly, Hopefully get more of a Team focus going offensively instead of soley relying on Kap. 
We'll find out the mental state of the team on Saturday as we have a few games that we should get points from before heading to a tough stretch starting with the B's.

Heard BG on The Fan today and ofc he wouldn't say exactly what the injury was to Kap but he did dismiss both the Barriero's Knee comment and Lou Nanne thinking both groins as Not it.
Also No devastating injury like an ACL.
If that's true... Then maybe something in the hip?

I still think that by the reaction of the Wild players (or lack there of) tells me they didn't think it was a dirty hit.
Stanley is a big goof not unlike our Greenway was and it was just an unfortunate collision. (with a side of staying on top way too long)
Also, I'm surprised this hasn't happened to Kap before since he tends to angle his legs out for his strength and stability holding onto the puck, Especially along the boards.
So many times I've been amazed by that strength and that he comes out of those battles unscathed. 

I just found an info at Russo twit:

Michael Russo

@RussoHockey

6h.

#mnwild lines without Kaprizov, Duhaime and Brodin:

Steel-Hartman-Zuccarello

Johansson-Eriksson Ek-Boldy

Foligno-Gaudreau-Sundqvist

Shaw-Dewar-Reaves

Walker

Middleton-Spurgeon

Goligoski-Dumba

Merrill-Klingberg

Addison

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Exactly, Hopefully get more of a Team focus going offensively instead of soley relying on Kap. 
We'll find out the mental state of the team on Saturday as we have a few games that we should get points from before heading to a tough stretch starting with the B's.

I think the next games without Kaprizov should be dedicated to Kaprizov's well recovery. He definitely will feel better if the team will be able to win a lot(we play lots of the games on a road) and the team will not lose a chance to get a playoffs spot. The race is still tight at Central and Pacific Divisions.

I just had a laugh from a question which I found at Russo twit from a State of Hoppy fan: How Minnesota could be a State of Hockey without any Stanley Cups?

My conclusion. We must to win it as soon as possible to avoid these questions in the future. 😁

8 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I just had a laugh from a question which I found at Russo twit from a State of Hoppy fan: How Minnesota could be a State of Hockey without any Stanley Cups?

My conclusion. We must to win it as soon as possible to avoid these questions in the future. 😁

Well, to be fair, the "no Cups" thing can attributed to maybe Minnesota isn't the State of NHL...yet...but, State of Hockey?
Sure.
With interest and hockey roots all the way from the professional level all the way down elementary school and even the frozen streets and ponds where kids just slap a hard object around into trash cans.

Minnesota is one of the top, if not the top state in the US for the sport.

I was born n raised in Florida and I followed the Lightning real closely, participated in street ball hockey, played in pseudo in-door ice hockey games (albeit no contact), but all those things were more novelties to the average fan down there.

Once I moved to Minnesota, I was shocked to see how that 'weird sport' that this Florida gal liked in her warm state was EVERYWHERE in this one!

So yea.
Writers can hammer on the Wild for not getting a Cup yet....that is fair.
But the state of Minnesota itself not being the State of Hockey? They must be running out of material if they believe that....

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1