New Series: Torts Doghouse

Samifan

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Call his cousins team and see if they want him at half off.

I'd pick up half his salary too to ship his ass out of town. Then just fire Chuck at seasons end.

I have 2 hopes for this team. 

The first is unlikely, but it's the best. They realize how bad Fletcher is and clean house. They put Briere in charge and Briere listens to all of Torts evaluations, they clean house as best they can and we rebuild the right way in their images.

The second, and more likely one, is Fletcher et al realized they screwed it up so they will do what Torts suggests in an effort to keep their jobs. 

In either case, they listen to Torts. That's my hope. I'm sticking with it until it's proven otherwise. 

17 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I have 2 hopes for this team. 

The first is unlikely, but it's the best. They realize how bad Fletcher is and clean house. They put Briere in charge and Briere listens to all of Torts evaluations, they clean house as best they can and we rebuild the right way in their images.

The second, and more likely one, is Fletcher et al realized they screwed it up so they will do what Torts suggests in an effort to keep their jobs. 

In either case, they listen to Torts. That's my hope. I'm sticking with it until it's proven otherwise. 

I still don't get the love for Briere. Guy hasn't accomplished anything but we think he's  the answer?

Isn't there a more proven option?

Recent Doghouse resident Rasmus Ristolainen got back in last night and apparently he got the message. He used to block shots for the Sabres IIRC, not so much for the Flyers. But last night he made a couple key ones (on the same shift) while the game was still close. If he hadn’t been benched the previous game I doubt he body-blocks either one of those shots.

When asked about being benched he took responsibility for not playing well, basically admitted he deserved to sit. Maybe just another professional athlete saying the right thing but last night he backed it up. Shot-blocking ain’t easy (to say the least) but it’s a great way to show the HC you “get it.”

edit: sorry wrong spot thought I was still in the doghouse thread. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, CoachX said:

I still don't get the love for Briere.

I can't speak for every one but i think most of it comes from us just getting a change of the current GM as a plus and us holding out hope that Danny B can be our Joe Sakic or Steve Yzerman.

Certainly there is no real reason to feel he is otherwise just pure hope.

But a change would be welcome from just about everyone here.

Chuck's time in Philly should be up which means promote him and get him the fcuk out the way.

Let's put it in Danny's hands to see if he can help get them going in the right direction.

I think he has the right coach to help him sort the roster. Sure he can totally bomb but for now i would love for a change at GM just for the sake of change.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CoachX said:

I still don't get the love for Briere. Guy hasn't accomplished anything but we think he's  the answer?

Isn't there a more proven option?

Well as I understand it he was doing a good job in Maine and was considered an up and coming executive. Aside from that I think the idea is he is newer thinking and in touch with things unlike the old guard. I agree he's unproven, but he's the one guy in that front office that might not be part of the old has been crowd. 

Building a team in his own image wouldn't be a terrible thing. He was a tenacious competitor with high standards for himself a strong work ethic and a lot of compete. 

• Like 3

On 11/9/2022 at 1:47 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I can't speak for every one but i think most of it comes from us just getting a change of the current GM as a plus and us holding out hope that Danny B can be our Joe Sakic or Steve Yzerman.

Certainly there is no real reason to feel he is otherwise just pure hope.

But a change would be welcome from just about everyone here.

Chuck's time in Philly should be up which means promote him and get him the fcuk out the way.

Let's put it in Danny's hands to see if he can help get them going in the right direction.

I think he has the right coach to help him sort the roster. Sure he can totally bomb but for now i would love for a change at GM just for the sake of change.

I can get on board with this

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Well as I understand it he was doing a good job in Maine and was considered an up and coming executive.

He was in Maine for 2 seasons and the team was 79-58. They had a weekly salary cap of $13k per team. That's hardly a success story, or large enough sample size to be named special assistant the GM of an NHL franchise. Then again it is Chukfuk, which means I could qualify

22 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Aside from that I think the idea is he is newer thinking and in touch with things unlike the old guard. I agree he's unproven, but he's the one guy in that front office that might not be part of the old has been crowd. 

Ahhh, this ⬆️

DB was hired by Paul Holmgren and mentored by him. Tell me, is that the guy you want mentoring a new GM? Quote from Briere, “Paul gave me the chance to follow him; to learn what he was doing as Team President,” said Briere. “To see the ins and outs on a daily basis – what he was up to"

Looks to me likes he's the next evolution of the old has been crowd. That's prolly why he was selected 

Wash-Rinse-Repeat

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

He was in Maine for 2 seasons and the team was 79-58. They had a weekly salary cap of $13k per team. That's hardly a success story, or large enough sample size to be named special assistant the GM of an NHL franchise. Then again it is Chukfuk, which means I could qualify

Ahhh, this ⬆️

DB was hired by Paul Holmgren and mentored by him. Tell me, is that the guy you want mentoring a new GM? Quote from Briere, “Paul gave me the chance to follow him; to learn what he was doing as Team President,” said Briere. “To see the ins and outs on a daily basis – what he was up to"

Looks to me likes he's the next evolution of the old has been crowd. That's prolly why he was selected 

Wash-Rinse-Repeat

You read way too much into that. First, you can learn a lot watching people make mistakes, and second, you have no idea what he "mentored" him in. 

Maybe it just went like this: "Okay Danny, this is where we get the coffee, don't touch that mug, it's mine. Bob gets the paper cups because he kept dropping his mugs on account of the missing finger. The cost really started to add up. There's your desk. Any questions?"

• Good Post 1

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

You read way too much into that. First, you can learn a lot watching people make mistakes, and second, you have no idea what he "mentored" him in. 

Maybe it just went like this: "Okay Danny, this is where we get the coffee, don't touch that mug, it's mine. Bob gets the paper cups because he kept dropping his mugs on account of the missing finger. The cost really started to add up. There's your desk. Any questions?"

I think you aren't reading into it at all. This is what the Flyers do. They find ex-players, offer them career employment within the franchise, and they come up through the system. That system is flawed and acknowledged as such by many here. This is just another example of them cultivating the next succession of the same business model. They have yet to hire an ex-Flyer who has been able to get this team over the hump. They have all failed, some miserably. There is no reason to believe DB is somehow different

Rose colored glasses are an illusion

I still hope they if they fire Schmuck, Mark Hunter is the guy I hope they tab. Fantastic job rebuilding the London Knights program. Also did a fantastic job with Lou Lamoriello helping rebuild Toronto and would have been the GM in New York if Toronto didn't block it (felt he was to valuable in terms of the scouting Toronto did and worried he would poach numerous scouts and minor affiliate coaches). Understands the game and that you need to play with speed and offense, but you can't neglect defense. Also not hung up on the size factor, which seems to be a requirement in Philadelphia. Give me the guy who understands the game anytime over Bobby Clarke personal ego fluffer.

14 hours ago, CoachX said:

I think you aren't reading into it at all. This is what the Flyers do. They find ex-players, offer them career employment within the franchise, and they come up through the system. That system is flawed and acknowledged as such by many here. This is just another example of them cultivating the next succession of the same business model. They have yet to hire an ex-Flyer who has been able to get this team over the hump. They have all failed, some miserably. There is no reason to believe DB is somehow different

Rose colored glasses are an illusion

How is Chuck Fletcher an ex Flyer?