Sabres have good young team but have NO GOALIE AT ALL

Buffalo Rick

LUUKENEN SUCKS.   Yes.  Sucks.  He was a flopping fish vs Tampa in a game that was won and he lost it all by himself. Get rid of all 3 of those fish.  Comrie, Anderson and Luukenen should all be in the AHL.  If that. I would release all 3 and give the Kings whatever they want to a degree for either Peterson or Quick.  After last night, a 9-8 win by the Kracken in LA, they might consider it. 

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

LUUKENEN SUCKS.   Yes.  Sucks.  He was a flopping fish vs Tampa in a game that was won and he lost it all by himself. Get rid of all 3 of those fish.  Comrie, Anderson and Luukenen should all be in the AHL.  If that. I would release all 3 and give the Kings whatever they want to a degree for either Peterson or Quick.  After last night, a 9-8 win by the Kracken in LA, they might consider it. 

You are not being objective. Quick is aging... He has maybe two years left in him. And Buffalo is not in te hwin-now mode, so Quick doesn't fit into their model. And Cal Petersen is simply an average goalie. Give Luukonnen some time to grow. You are placing unrealistic expectations on the kid. He has what it takes to be at least a solid, good goalie in this league. He needs to polish his game, and to do that, he needs to play.  Buffalo is giving all their other kids all the time in the world to develop. Why not treat him in the same fashion?  There is absolutely no purpose or reason to trade Luukonnen for someone like Jonathan Quick. That would be something that the Flyers management would do.  You do NOT want that.  No... 

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I watched that TB-Buf game, and while Luukko does need some more time to round into form, the defense in front of him didn't do him any favors.
The Lightning are usually a transition offense type team, yet they were able to crash the net regularly, park guys down low to bother Luukko without Sabres players doing a particularly good job moving them, and have guys left all alone in prime areas around the net without Buffalo players picking them up.
While I understand that at the end of the day, the goalie has to make the stops, it sure does help if he has a defense that gives him the best chance of success.

Look over at Andrei Vasilevskiy....I don't think anyone would dispute he is still one of the best goalies in the league.
But a GAA of almost 3 and a Sv% of just over .900 is not very like him at all.....then again, the rebuilt defense in front of him (no McDonagh, no Jan Rutta), as well a key missing defensive forward (Ondrej Palat, left for NJ) and another defensive forward starting the year on IR (Anthony Cirelli), has made his job much harder than it was before while the Bolts work in the new faces to the championship levels they are used to having.

Point is, Luukko has shown a lot of heart and talent out there. He is remarkably poised for such a young man out there, even when things aren't going his way.
Unlike other young goalies the Sabres have had before,  like Malcolm Subban and Dustin Tokarski, Luukko doesn't 'lose it' when he is touched up for a goal or two.
Seems to get right back out there, reset, and attempt to do his job once again.

Sabres either need to tighten up the coverage for him, or get personnel that can, and if they do that, I think they will see the Luukkonen could very well be the stabilizing factor they desperately need between the pipes.
In the constant carousel of goalies Buffalo has had over the last several seasons, he really does seem to be the best one they've had yet.

Now...whether he actually turns out well remains to be seen, but firing him into the Sun this early in his career, while not ruling out the defensive faults of the team, would be very short sighted and premature.

• Like 2

You are not being objective, the two main defenseman each averaging over 20 minutes a night are babies, they show flashes but both are poor in their own zone, but both will get better, and better and better. Right now they are both very much a work in progress. a lot of what is blamed on the goalies is really inexperience on the part of the defense. It didnt help losing Samuelsson so early in the year, he is far and away the best pure defensve dman on the team.  Bryson has been awful, Jokharju is really a 7th dman at best, playing 20 minutes a night out of desperation. luukenen may or may not make it as a starter in the NHL but i would say at least half a goal per game belongs to the defense, not the goalies.

As far as young talent, the Sabres are in fantastic shape. 

Thompson

Power

Dahlin

Samuelsson

Cozens

Mittlestadt

Peterka

Quinn

Olofsson

Krebs

Tons of young talent. But the big problem is their inexperience and the below standard so called veteran talent around them.

Tuch is as overrated a player as their is in the game today. An average middle six winger-nothing more.

Skinner a flawed one dimensional player

very bad veteran defense

Okposo hasnt been a good player since the Harding administration

Girgensons never developed.

Jost, if people think he is the answer they dont understand the question.

So tons of ultra talented but raw kids, tons of bad or at least one dimensional vets. They need two or three veteran skill guys, at least one on defense and a forward to pull the kids along. 

• Good Post 1

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I would release all 3 and give the Kings whatever they want to a degree for either Peterson or Quick

You won't even have to give something for Petersen: he's just been put on waivers.

(Holysh... by the way)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I would release all 3 and give the Kings whatever they want to a degree for either Peterson or Quick.  After last night, a 9-8 win by the Kracken in LA, they might consider it. 

As usual, completely on the pulse of things.

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2022 at 9:17 AM, Mad Dog said:

You are not being objective. Quick is aging... He has maybe two years left in him. And Buffalo is not in te hwin-now mode, so Quick doesn't fit into their model. And Cal Petersen is simply an average goalie. Give Luukonnen some time to grow. You are placing unrealistic expectations on the kid. He has what it takes to be at least a solid, good goalie in this league. He needs to polish his game, and to do that, he needs to play.  Buffalo is giving all their other kids all the time in the world to develop. Why not treat him in the same fashion?  There is absolutely no purpose or reason to trade Luukonnen for someone like Jonathan Quick. That would be something that the Flyers management would do.  You do NOT want that.  No... 

Hes a flopping fish that is killing us.  We need someone that can play the position.   They all suck

On 11/30/2022 at 12:01 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I watched that TB-Buf game, and while Luukko does need some more time to round into form, the defense in front of him didn't do him any favors.
The Lightning are usually a transition offense type team, yet they were able to crash the net regularly, park guys down low to bother Luukko without Sabres players doing a particularly good job moving them, and have guys left all alone in prime areas around the net without Buffalo players picking them up.
While I understand that at the end of the day, the goalie has to make the stops, it sure does help if he has a defense that gives him the best chance of success.

Look over at Andrei Vasilevskiy....I don't think anyone would dispute he is still one of the best goalies in the league.
But a GAA of almost 3 and a Sv% of just over .900 is not very like him at all.....then again, the rebuilt defense in front of him (no McDonagh, no Jan Rutta), as well a key missing defensive forward (Ondrej Palat, left for NJ) and another defensive forward starting the year on IR (Anthony Cirelli), has made his job much harder than it was before while the Bolts work in the new faces to the championship levels they are used to having.

Point is, Luukko has shown a lot of heart and talent out there. He is remarkably poised for such a young man out there, even when things aren't going his way.
Unlike other young goalies the Sabres have had before,  like Malcolm Subban and Dustin Tokarski, Luukko doesn't 'lose it' when he is touched up for a goal or two.
Seems to get right back out there, reset, and attempt to do his job once again.

Sabres either need to tighten up the coverage for him, or get personnel that can, and if they do that, I think they will see the Luukkonen could very well be the stabilizing factor they desperately need between the pipes.
In the constant carousel of goalies Buffalo has had over the last several seasons, he really does seem to be the best one they've had yet.

Now...whether he actually turns out well remains to be seen, but firing him into the Sun this early in his career, while not ruling out the defensive faults of the team, would be very short sighted and premature.

The Sabres outplayed Tampa in that game.  Should have won if they had even an average goalie.  Luukenen and the rest are bums. Add Adams to that list.  Arsehole should have known we needed a proven goalie. I would have traded for a goalie.  He traded Eichel though the idiot. I hope he is fired

On 12/2/2022 at 8:31 PM, flyercanuck said:

Sabres have good young team but have NO GOALIE AT ALL

Flyers have a good young goalie and no team at all.

I guess the Sabres and Flyers might fight it out for last place?  I cant stand Adams.  GM.  Arsehole knew we had no goalie. All 3 suck