Game 48: Winnipeg Jets at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/22/33 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Not sure why Torts didn’t play Sandstrom last night against a weaker opponent? First game back in the bigs and he has to face one of the better teams in WC. 

To no one’s surprise it’s 3-0 jets with 5 minutes left in first. 

Click….

Edited by Samifan

I'd love to see a heat map of the shots.  Most of ours seem to be 30+ feet out.  Rittlich let in a softee from the that range.  The Jets outskated our D; their shots have been in tight.  We are also missing a ton of shots when we get in a reasonable range.  

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

We are also missing a ton of shots when we get in a reasonable range.

you're not kidding - so many near misses - seems to always be a problem but tonight was just crazy.

Sandstrom played well until that 4th goal. It would've been nice if one of the 3 Flyers on Kuhlman had put a body on him instead of just waving their sticks...but Sandstrom can't let that slip in. It was a backbreaker coming right after that long kill.

Flyers won the special teams battle against a real good PK - 2 PP goals...not often this year when the PP scores twice in the same week let alone the same game.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

you're not kidding - so many near misses - seems to always be a problem but tonight was just crazy.

Sandstrom played well until that 4th goal. It would've been nice if one of the 3 Flyers on Kuhlman had put a body on him instead of just waving their sticks...but Sandstrom can't let that slip in. It was a backbreaker coming right after that long kill.

Flyers won the special teams battle against a real good PK - 2 PP goals...not often this year when the PP scores twice in the same week let alone the same game.

JJ or Keith Jones nailed it.  Sandstrom will make a beauty, then cough up a stinker.  I don't think he is an NHL goalie.  I don't think he gets claimed if that happens, and I doubt he is trade-bait.  

We were game.  But it's hard to compete against a team that has four lines with scoring ability when you have a handful of players who can put the puck in the net.  Deslauriers, Brown, and Zack do a great job with possession.  But they can't seem to generate chances or finish if they do.  We hustled tonight, but Winnipeg is the type of team we've struggled against for a decade+.  A few more Frosts or Tippetts might make a big difference. 

8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I'd love to see a heat map of the shots.  Most of ours seem to be 30+ feet out.  Rittlich let in a softee from the that range.  The Jets outskated our D; their shots have been in tight.  We are also missing a ton of shots when we get in a reasonable range.  

Hey Howie, DesLauriers had a shot. That's money well spent right there.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

These threads are always so slow when the team loses.

Well, the Eagles played this weekend. 

I know I don't have the bandwidth in my sports attention span to give a flying F for a team that is scuffling along and will be for the foreseeable future.

Especially when the Eagles look like they can play for a championship.

Plus. what else is there to say that hasn't been said?

I don't mind the Flyers losing to good teams this year. 

They (the Flyers are not a good team) This is the year to get some better magic beans at the top of the NHL draft. 

There's not much to say, sell at the deadline, try to get some cap space, see about ways to improve.

I think the coach is doing what he said he would do. There isn't a whole lot of talent on lines 2 through 4 and half the defense isn't good either. 

So yeah, that's the 9th time I've typed this since November.  Maybe I should copy this to my clipboard and paste it every couple of weeks.

I Dont Care Shrug GIF by Puss In Boots

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

So yeah, that's the 9th time I've typed this since November.  Maybe I should copy this to my clipboard and paste it every couple of weeks.

I Dont Care Shrug GIF by Puss In Boots

Ahh, don't feel bad. I've been saying the same thing for 2 years.

Or is it 20? :IDunnoSmiley:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

This site has become so slow since about halfway through Fletchers demolition  aggressive rebuild of the Flyers.

Howdy:  I will add a friendly amendment.  It has also slowed since we've won more often. There is less bitching.  On the other hand, we may be seeing there's a limit to what this team will do, and yes, we are losing the Bedard sweepstakes.  Semper Med, particularly under this GM.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Howdy:  I will add a friendly amendment.  It has also slowed since we've won more often. There is less bitching.  On the other hand, we may be seeing there's a limit to what this team will do, and yes, we are losing the Bedard sweepstakes.  Semper Med, particularly under this GM.  

There is nothing to bitch about. when you are full on mediocre anything can happen.