Game 50: Philadelphia Flyers at Minnesota Wild; 1/26/23 @ 8 PM, ESPN+, HULU

Howie58

1 hour ago, radoran said:

And was picked two spots ahead of Cam York after Fletcher - wait for it - added a second rounder in a deal that, of course, he then packaged with a third to get... Bobby Brink.

Also "passed" on Caulfield, Newhook, and Krebs to take York.

A lot depends on how Brink and York pan out to evaluate those transactions.

I agree it will matter how York and Brink pan out....meanwhile Boldy is already panning out! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

He had 35 points in a season. Once. Four years ago.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Another long term commitment to a player who hasn't achieved very much and is poised to compete to be adequate.

Yeah and he'll prob finish with ~25 this year - not exactly a $6.25mil D-man, certainly no one they needed to extend for so long. But I like him. He's shown a lot of skill handling the puck and driving play. Saddling him with Ristolainen for 2 years didn't exactly help him it slowed his progress.

Since he's been skating with TDA he looks better, more confident leading rushes, pinching and fore-checking more often. Unfortunately TDA is just not very good. And he's probably the last guy you want as a mentor.

Still, Travis Sanheim is a big boy. His partners haven't been great but he still needs earn his salary. If he needs help, motivation or whatever I hope the coaches invest it in him. Given his contract and point-production he won't fetch very much in a trade.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

16 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But I like him. He's shown a lot of skill handling the puck and driving play.

I don't dislike him, but I don't at all understand the rush to extend him for eight years at $6.25M.

Especially not an entire year before they had to even make that decision.

When I see a GM look at players like Laughton and Sanheim as worth 10+% of the cap, it makes me wonder.

Good players, fine.

Foundational pieces to lock up? 🤔

When you're looking at a core of guys in their late 20s/early 30s who have never really achieved much of anything in terms of team success in the NHL and you're saying "these are our guys" it's worrisome.

When it comes to "making the most of what you have" I like ol' Herbie Brooks as much as the next guy, but he was 219-222-66 in the NHL and never even made a Conference Final.

I don't have to justify my total and utter disdain and amazement at how bad the chucktard is at his current job, we have all seen the results. Having said that, I think it's safe to say that every GM has passed on an 18 year old prospect who developed better than the choice they made. My disbelief with the dysfunction that is the Flyers is how they seem to fail repeatedly at developing young players. It becomes even more amazing to me at this failure when you think how they relate to and nurture each other after retiring, and how they appear to not put any such man love and nurturing into their young prospects.  It appears to me they draft these kids and then virtually leave them to be, as we saw with Richards and Carter and Lupul, through to the handling of Patrick and the obviously misguided training and medical staff, all the while having the lovefest in the executive suite. I'm sure there's a netflix or HBO miniseries to be had here, in the dark comedy genre.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, radoran said:

I don't dislike him, but I don't at all understand the rush to extend him for eight years at $6.25M.

I hears ya… just another unforced error from the Flyers that impacts - limits - their ability to improve the roster. They’re basically stuck with him, which is why I said invest whatever it takes for him to realize his potential. 

The bigger problem is the Flyers track record translating potential into success. There’s been a handful who’ve developed into good players over the years. I can’t think of one who blossomed into an actual NHL star. Besides Hayes of course, who obviously was already a wizard / a true star before he ever got to Philly. Sure glad they locked him up for the next nineteen years…

Seriously the last few decades have been a little light on the development side…

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

There’s been a handful who’ve developed into good players over the years. I can’t think of one who blossomed into an actual NHL star.

People would point to Giroux - who it should be noted they didn't want and knew little about.

And there is a case for defensemen to develop slower.

Sanheim is 26/27 - there is a point at which the player you see is the player he is.

Maybe the master plan all comes together when Atkinson and Couturier are back.

OK, shouldn't have said back...

Anyhoo, when anyone thinks about players who really define this era, Travis Sanheim, lifetime Flyer, is on the top 4 for defence.

If anyone ever talks about this legendary era once it's over...

24 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I still like Sanheim. If he played for another organization and/or had a competent partner he'd be very good. I don't think he's a problem.

I'll take Sanheim over every...single...one...of Fletchers signings. He's not great....but at least he isn''t terrible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'll take Sanheim over every...single...one...of Fletchers signings. He's not great....but at least he isn''t terrible.

Right. He's a solid second pairing guy and a strong one with a competent partner.  I don't think he's first pairing anywhere except as a fill in next to an Allstar #1

Edited by ruxpin

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I always hear about Ivan or Deangelo or even everyone's favorite Risto but WTF is Travis Sanheim doing??

Talk about a guy living up to potential when is he ever going to makes some highlights??? I never see anything on him doing anything positive.

Why does he get a pass?? Did they miss the boat on trading him instead of extending him?? I mean if you want to blow it up he should have been one to be sent out as well.

Agree with you 100% been saying this for a couple years now

36 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'll take Sanheim over every...single...one...of Fletchers signings

You know who signed Sanheim to his current deal?

Chuck Fletcher.

You know who signed Sanheim to his eight year extension?

Chuck Fletcher.

True story.

8 hours ago, radoran said:

You know who signed Sanheim to his current deal?

Chuck Fletcher.

You know who signed Sanheim to his eight year extension?

Chuck Fletcher.

True story.

I like Sanheim as a player.

Can't say the same about Fletchers contracts, or signings, or trades or draft picks at this point.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I like Sanheim as a player.

Can't say the same about Fletchers contracts, or signings, or trades or draft picks at this point.

Again, I don't dislike the player, but at eight years and $6.25M he's totally a Fletcher creature now.

• Like 2