Game 50: Philadelphia Flyers at Minnesota Wild; 1/26/23 @ 8 PM, ESPN+, HULU

Howie58

Greetings:

Minnesota is heavily favored (-247) and we haven't won at Xcel since February 2019.  They are a much better offensive team, but other stats aren't that different:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-min/2023/01/26/2022020778

I will let the HULUers comment.  Meanwhile, Semper Med!

Edited by Howie58

I haven't watched a game in awhile...but after looking at a lot of highlights it looks like Morgan Frost is moving very well and showing some skill with the puck.

Is this right or just misleading since it is just highlights?? Because i know highlights won't show his lowlights.

Anyone have an opinion on Morgan Frost is he looking like a light has come on?? Anyone is welcome to chime in.

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I haven't watched a game in awhile...but after looking at a lot of highlights it looks like Morgan Frost is moving very well and showing some skill with the puck.

Is this right or just misleading since it is just highlights?? Because i know highlights won't show his lowlights.

Anyone have an opinion on Morgan Frost is he looking like a light has come on?? Anyone is welcome to chime in.

Frost is showing some great skill, he has made some real slick passes, good stick handling and he also has fired in some incredible goals , his shot looks better than advertised.  He scored on a great stick between the legs move a few games ago. He also had a couple of four point games. He has has some defensive lapses but it's alot better than the lapses in skill that we are used to. He is showing great chemistry with Tippett.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Occ:

I am probably the last person to give a hard yes or no. But my old, tired, and untrained eyes say he shows flashes of high-end talent and becoming more confident with and without the puck.   I think he is re-signed as a building block.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

is it possible to get less people to watch this game? they're asking jaded, disinterested fans to navigate a couple more subscription services to watch this team?

The NHL Brass decided to split broadcasts to foster some competition.  As for Hulu, it's a defensive move to court the cable cutters and make sure they get attention.  That's what I read when they decided not to renew with NBC and divvy up the TV coverage.  

7 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Frost is showing some great skill, he has made some real slick passes, good stick handling and he also has fired in some incredible goals , his shot looks better than advertised.  He scored on a great stick between the legs move a few games ago. He also had a couple of four point games. He has has some defensive lapses but it's alot better than the lapses in skill that we are used to. He is showing great chemistry with Tippett.

Whoever is here reading...you're welcome for the idea to write this today and it answered some questions...

https://thelibertyline.com/2023/01/25/morgan-frost-player-profile/

So let the bad contracts fall off. I'd trade Hayes or buy him out this offseason. It has to turn around soon....right?

:PopcornSmiley2:

7 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I was thrashing the guy early this season, but he has come around and with some consistency. Agree with you here. I think he stays... for a while.

17 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I think he is re-signed as a building block.  

This season is obviously a sink or swim year for him. He's doing just enough to stay afloat. If the Flyers were actually rebuilding he'd be someone to keep; an inexpensive forward with potential to break out in the next few years.

But who knows where this team is going? With Fletcher in charge ... now that Tortorella has them playing like a team ... maybe Frost is included in a package to land whoever is the oldest and most expensive UFA at the TD. Some fans will complain about giving up on Frost but when the Flyers are hoisting the Cup, and Captain Kane is passing it over to Co-Captain Hayes...it'll be a case of Morgan Who?

@OccamsRazor

He's finally starting to pop when he's on the ice.

There are still too many shifts where his line doesn't touch the puck to suit me.

I can definitely see that his confidence is growing though.

He has made some slick plays and put some seeds on the frame offensively.

This is where I need to notice him and lately against the shittier teams, he's been pretty good.

His line got caved vs Boston.

So, like seemingly all the young Flyers players, he hasn't really answered the question is he worth keeping? definitively for me.

I want to see the shot and the smart passes vs good teams too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

He's finally starting to pop when he's on the ice.

There are still too many shifts where his line doesn't touch the puck to suit me.

I can definitely see that his confidence is growing though.

He has made some slick plays and put some seeds on the frame offensively.

This is where I need to notice him and lately against the shittier teams, he's been pretty good.

His line got caved vs Boston.

So, like seemingly all the young Flyers players, he hasn't really answered the question is he worth keeping? definitively for me.

I want to see the shot and the smart passes vs good teams too. 

I agree , but if the entire team and all the veterans disappear against good teams like Boston, then we can’t expect a kid like Frost to be the standout. Frost is definitely one of our most skilled players and has scored some goals and made some moves that very few of his teammates could ever hope to do. In the short time he’s played regularly ,he’s had some highlight reel goals and a couple of four point games, how many of his teammates have done that or shown that skill level. Sometimes you can have all the natural skill but if you lack confidence or  you are not a strong willed person, your not gonna succeed unless you have the kind of coaching and teammates that will push you along and help you develop. Torts is doing a good job with that and it’s too bad guys like Coots and Atkinson aren’t around  because they would definitely be a big help in building confidence and helping the young guys.

Aside from injuries ,our biggest problem has been that the young players have been put in spots in the lineup where they do not belong because we lacked a legit first line and legit #1 dman. Provorov is not Mark Howe or Desjardins but the have him playing huge minutes like he actually is. Meyers and Sanheim were not ready for second pair minutes. Provy and Sanheim would be further along if they were developed right and Meyers would be a solid dman instead of in the minors. We have Cates, a rookie playing first line center, etc. This has been going on for years.

So if somehow Gauthier becomes the big ,two way , first line center and Frost becomes the playmaking ,skilled , second line center …..then if his back holds up ,Coots can be the third line guy since you wanna preserve his career and cut his minutes down., especially that your paying through the nose to keep him.If this happens ,then any other new kids we have can be inserted properly into the lineup and they won’t take five years to develop. We still have to find a real #1 dman,  I’m not sure that York is that. 

One kid I would try a re-sign is Jay O’Brian, he’s a similar case as Frost, he has a lot of skill and had injuries, so it’s worth keeping him around for a year with the Phantoms and see if we can save his career. We are gonna free up at least five or six contracts when we dump some UFA and RFA stiffs ,so it’s worth a one year minimum deal to keep Jay around.

• Like 1

We have 9 OT losses this season alone. Only 1 OT loss. Jordan Hall nailed it. This is a great indicator of our talent deficit. Our historical performance in OT is something like .333. Yeah, the deficit has been here a long time. 

• Good Post 2

I always hear about Ivan or Deangelo or even everyone's favorite Risto but WTF is Travis Sanheim doing??

Talk about a guy living up to potential when is he ever going to makes some highlights??? I never see anything on him doing anything positive.

Why does he get a pass?? Did they miss the boat on trading him instead of extending him?? I mean if you want to blow it up he should have been one to be sent out as well.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

WTF is Travis Sanheim doing??

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Yeah, another guy they just had to lock up long term because... reasons? 🤔

Signed through 2030-31.  At $6.25M per.

He had 35 points in a season. Once. Four years ago.

Another long term commitment to a player who hasn't achieved very much and is poised to compete to be adequate.

Bring it to Broad.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Uggh... 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Boldy with 2G 1A....another guy Fletcher passed on in the 2019 draft. He'd be 3rd on the team in points and 21 years old.

And was picked two spots ahead of Cam York after Fletcher - wait for it - added a second rounder in a deal that, of course, he then packaged with a third to get... Bobby Brink.

Also "passed" on Caulfield, Newhook, and Krebs to take York.

A lot depends on how Brink and York pan out to evaluate those transactions.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1