Game 59: Philadelphia Flyers at Edmonton Oilers; 2/21/23 @ 9 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The whole affair got silly + sloppy.  The turnovers were almost laughable.  I thought they were intentional.  Torts has done a lot to build camaraderie.  But that can only go so far.  Heck, when you have a 6-4 skate advantage and look like you're the shorthanded team, it is tough.

This is the way it should look. This team is a majority of borderline NHLers, and 4th line players. There are only so many ways to disguise that, no matter who the coach is. This is one more reason, why this unreasonably stubborn..and ignorant to itself, franchise...needed to tank this season, for Bedard. Now, they'll have to trade for them. I'm not even sure the brain-dead trust, that runs this franchise will even make an attempt to get him. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

This is the way it should look. This team is a majority of borderline NHLers, and 4th line players. There are only so many ways to disguise that, no matter who the coach is. This is one more reason, why this unreasonably stubborn..and ignorant to itself, franchise...needed to tank this season, for Bedard. Now, they'll have to trade for them. I'm not even sure the brain-dead trust, that runs this franchise will even make an attempt to get him. :5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Dear FD:  I think Charlie O'Connor of the Athletic would agree and add the following.  The only hope for this team to excel is lightning from the bottle of lower-round draft picks.  We haven't tanked to get the best up front.  The team is up to its gills in cap commitment.  The current cadre is probably not that great with a few exceptions.  We need some third round types and below to catch fire.  And he has little faith in our scouting staff to pull that off. It is distressing.  My gut says we will be a .500 team for several years to come.  Our best hope for the tank is if/when Torts burns out the team and he's dumped.  Maybe that will give us the opportunity for a true rebuild.  That is O'Connor's take and it is a sad and reasonable assessment.  

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe I'm too old but at some point we have to stop coddling the kids.

They are men.

If you expect them to act like men then you have to treat them like men.

Sure wish they were easier on us in bootcamp....NOT!

I don't know, there are players on many other teams who play like men. And there are character players who come to Philly and turn into...this. The whole organization is rotten and needs a full out enema. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

The whole organization is rotten and needs a full out enema. 

I agree.

But when can we expect true change?

It feels hopeless. It's sad no football and nothing else to watch except other teams play hockey instead of my favorite one.

Can't take this much longer...

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't know, there are players on many other teams who play like men. And there are character players who come to Philly and turn into...this. The whole organization is rotten and needs a full out enema. 

I'm not disagreeing with your general sentiment, but who are the "character guys" who came here and turned into.............

As I see it, we mostly only brought in non character guys like DeAngelo and Risto. DesLauriers is the only character guy we brought in that I can think of and he has been exactly what he is, a bottom line forward tough guy who stands up for team mates. It's certainly not his fault. 

19 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Dear FD:  I think Charlie O'Connor of the Athletic would agree and add the following.  The only hope for this team to excel is lightning from the bottle of lower-round draft picks.  We haven't tanked to get the best up front.  The team is up to its gills in cap commitment.  The current cadre is probably not that great with a few exceptions.  We need some third round types and below to catch fire.  And he has little faith in our scouting staff to pull that off. It is distressing.  My gut says we will be a .500 team for several years to come.  Our best hope for the tank is if/when Torts burns out the team and he's dumped.  Maybe that will give us the opportunity for a true rebuild.  That is O'Connor's take and it is a sad and reasonable assessment.  

Back in the day we hit big time with undrafted signings like Kerr, Sinasalo and Poulin. We also hit with later picks like Eklund and Renberg. All these years later we have not gotten this kind of production from any late picks or signings. Our best late pick have been Cates and Hart, but no scorers like the guys I listed. 

• Good Post 1

19 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

To Chuck!!!

• Like 1